Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 146
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 18th Jan 17, 8:34 PM
    • 859 Posts
    • 449 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Hi,

Update - Bott & Co contacted me on Friday to say that they have now received the correspondence from Jet 2 which was submitted to the court and they can no longer act on a no win no fee basis as they believe that the court will rule in favour of the airline.

Feel like it's been a total waste of time.

Our options were to continue with the court proceedings however we would have to pay Bott & Co to do this and to be honest it wouldn't be worth it as the compensation we would receive would be less than the legal fees.

Hopefully others have more luck with their claims.
    Originally posted by Charlene6
    Hi Charlene6,

Trying to read between the line, it may well be that the door problem pushed the delay up to, say 2h45m. But not a claimable delay. At this point the aircraft had now missed it's take off slot with ATC, causing a further delay.

If the new slot's departure time then further delayed the aircraft causing it to become claimable, Jet2 may be able to argue it was this which triggered the delay, not the original fault. In this case it may not be worth Botts or yourself risking what a court may decide.

Conversely, you could argue to the court that had the earlier technical delay not occurred in the first place then a short ACT delay would not have caused a claimable delay.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide.
    • Justgoofy
    • By Justgoofy 11th Feb 17, 10:52 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Justgoofy
    Jet 2 and Resolver
    I lodged a complaint with Jet 2 regarding LS2122 SOF-MAN (28/01/17) on Wednesday just gone (08/02/17). I received an automated reply almost immediately announcing their aim to reply within 21 days. The following day I received another email which included the following:

All correspondence regarding delays and EC Regulation 261/2004, including any requests for an update of an open claim, must be submitted in writing.

Please ensure the following is included in initial correspondence:

• Passenger names
    • Booking reference
    • Date of travel
    • Flight number
    • Copy of booking confirmation or boarding pass

Please note, without all the information required, we will be unable to consider your correspondence.

Please send all correspondence to the following postal address: EC 261/2004 Team, Customer Services, PO Box 284, Leeds LS11 1GE.

It would seem that Jet 2 are following Ryanair's example and making the process as difficult as possible ...
    • NoviceAngel
    • By NoviceAngel 11th Feb 17, 11:20 AM
    • 1,847 Posts
    • 559 Thanks
    NoviceAngel
    I lodged a complaint with Jet 2 regarding LS2122 SOF-MAN (28/01/17) on Wednesday just gone (08/02/17). I received an automated reply almost immediately announcing their aim to reply within 21 days. The following day I received another email which included the following:

All correspondence regarding delays and EC Regulation 261/2004, including any requests for an update of an open claim, must be submitted in writing.

Please ensure the following is included in initial correspondence:

• Passenger names
    • Booking reference
    • Date of travel
    • Flight number
    • Copy of booking confirmation or boarding pass

Please note, without all the information required, we will be unable to consider your correspondence.

Please send all correspondence to the following postal address: EC 261/2004 Team, Customer Services, PO Box 284, Leeds LS11 1GE.

It would seem that Jet 2 are following Ryanair's example and making the process as difficult as possible ...
    Originally posted by Justgoofy
    That's actually quite straight forward and certainly Jet2 have always operated this way. Most of the info they are requesting IMHO is the minimum that they require to process the claim.

I'm surprised they aren't asking for the boarding passes!

Good luck

NoviceAngel
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!
    If I've helped you, please help us HERE!
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 11th Feb 17, 11:23 AM
    • 859 Posts
    • 449 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Yes they are past masters of the art, as many of us have found out.

I would submit your details as requested but stick to a reasonable time to hear back from them, say 14 or 21 days.

They have, thus far, refused to join a CAA recommended ADR scheme so you can either go down the MCOL route or talk to a Flight Delay Solicitor.

Read 'Vaubans guide' found via Google and post any questions here.

Good luck.
    • NoviceAngel
    • By NoviceAngel 11th Feb 17, 1:53 PM
    • 1,847 Posts
    • 559 Thanks
    NoviceAngel
    I lodged a complaint with Jet 2 regarding LS2122 SOF-MAN (28/01/17) on Wednesday just gone (08/02/17). ...
    Originally posted by Justgoofy
    Just out of interest, can you tell us a bit more about the delay and we can tell you if we think you are entitled to compensation under EU261/2004
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!
    • Gallows20
    • By Gallows20 10th Mar 17, 7:43 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Gallows20
    Hi, I was also on flight LS2122 from SOF to MAN on 28th January. I completed the letter template from MSE and submitted my claim in early February. This morning I received a letter from Jet2 with a cheque for £340.20. A great result! ����

I also tried to claim on behalf of four other travelers in our party but Jet2 have said that they need written permission from each person in order to process these claims. Is it as simple as a letter from each person and sending them all in to Jet2 or am I better doing something else? Anyone found this with airlines or Jet2? It seems a reasonable request to me.
    • NoviceAngel
    • By NoviceAngel 11th Mar 17, 12:10 AM
    • 1,847 Posts
    • 559 Thanks
    NoviceAngel
    Hi, I was also on flight LS2122 from SOF to MAN on 28th January. I completed the letter template from MSE and submitted my claim in early February. This morning I received a letter from Jet2 with a cheque for £340.20. A great result! ����

I also tried to claim on behalf of four other travelers in our party but Jet2 have said that they need written permission from each person in order to process these claims. Is it as simple as a letter from each person and sending them all in to Jet2 or am I better doing something else? Anyone found this with airlines or Jet2? It seems a reasonable request to me.
    Originally posted by Gallows20
    J2 have paid your claim, so there should be no problem for others in your party to claim, in this instance I think their request is not unreasonable so get all members of your party to lodge a claim.

Trust me, that's a good result from J2
    • Gallows20
    • By Gallows20 13th Apr 17, 4:48 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Gallows20
    Update on flight LS2122 from SOF to MAN on 28th January. Four further cheques received yesterday for the other passengers in our party. An excellent result and, thanks to all the information on this site, a pretty easy process.
    • NoviceAngel
    • By NoviceAngel 13th Apr 17, 8:22 AM
    • 1,847 Posts
    • 559 Thanks
    NoviceAngel
    a pretty easy process.
    Originally posted by Gallows20
    Trust me, it hasn't always been.

Congratulations on your success and thanks for letting us know the outcome
    • pcyuljr
    • By pcyuljr 25th Jun 17, 7:32 PM
    • 82 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    pcyuljr
    Hello,

I have previously claimed compensation for my parents, so I am not a complete newbie. However, my own situation is quite different and I would appreciate any discussion/advice around it.

On Saturday 17th June my departure time from Manchester Airport to Thessalonika (Greece) was delayed for 2hrs 50 minutes. This was due to the aircraft, when we had all boarded, getting a burst rear tyre as we were taxing due to debris around the aircraft. We had to all get off and the company get another aircraft.

We were due to land in Greece between 6pm and 6.30pm.

After the delayed departure, we arrived at Thessaloniki (late obviously) but were then unable to land due to the wind. The pilot did attempt one landing, but aborted and then decided to not try again. As such we were diverted to Athens airport, finally landing with doors open at about 10pm. Thus 4 hrs later and at a different airport than we should have done.

We were put up overnight in Athens by Jet2 and the following day, flew back to Thessaloniki finally arriving with doors open at 1.40pm.

Thus we arrived at our correct airport about 19hrs after we should have done due to a mixture of issues.

Can anybody please provide some guidance or thoughts on these various issues as overall we lost a day of our holiday. Both of us also have travel insurance.

(Of note we were also delayed 2hrs upon returning, but that's an aside...I think)

Many thanks.
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 25th Jun 17, 8:00 PM
    • 10,599 Posts
    • 6,934 Thanks
    Caz3121
    I suspect the overall delay will be apportioned. If you say 2 hours 50 mins was due to a claimable event and the remainder was related to weather, I am guessing their response will be that that portion of the delay was under 3 hours. Try your flight number in a couple of the NWNF sites EUClaim, bottonline and see what their view is...it will say if extraordinary circumstances would likely apply
    • bels333
    • By bels333 29th Jun 17, 4:34 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    bels333
    Hi there everyone,

was looking for some advice, we were delayed 19 hours in Tenerife with Jet2 this week due to a Jet2 plane landing and the wheels exploding on the runway at Tenerife South Airport. (If you dare google it there are pictures of the plane!). In the letter they gave us at the airport it says the delay was 'due to unforseen operational reasons'. Many other planes managed to take off but we got delayed 19 hours and had to sleep on the floor until 1:30am until we were given a hotel.

As the plane that caused the issue with the runway was a Jet2 one and we were flying with Jet2, would we be eligible to claim under EU rule 261/2004 or would this likely be classed as an exceptional circumstance?

Just wondering what to do now! My travel insurance company were quite rude and said I can't claim with them as its not in their list of acceptable reasons.

Thanks
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 29th Jun 17, 4:46 PM
    • 859 Posts
    • 449 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Hi there everyone,

was looking for some advice, we were delayed 19 hours in Tenerife with Jet2 this week due to a Jet2 plane landing and the wheels exploding on the runway at Tenerife South Airport. (If you dare google it there are pictures of the plane!). In the letter they gave us at the airport it says the delay was 'due to unforseen operational reasons'. Many other planes managed to take off but we got delayed 19 hours and had to sleep on the floor until 1:30am until we were given a hotel.

As the plane that caused the issue with the runway was a Jet2 one and we were flying with Jet2, would we be eligible to claim under EU rule 261/2004 or would this likely be classed as an exceptional circumstance?

Just wondering what to do now! My travel insurance company were quite rude and said I can't claim with them as its not in their list of acceptable reasons.

Thanks
    Originally posted by bels333
    Hi bels333,

Were you due to board the same aircraft back to Manchester that burst its tyres or were you due to depart on another Jet2 flight?
    • bels333
    • By bels333 29th Jun 17, 4:56 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    bels333
    A different aircraft, the one with the broken wheels that caused the runway to have issues was a Manchester arrival and ours was Leeds. The letter they gave us at the airport had no details of what had happened it just said 'due to unforseen operational reasons'
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 29th Jun 17, 5:24 PM
    • 859 Posts
    • 449 Thanks
    Tyzap
    A different aircraft, the one with the broken wheels that caused the runway to have issues was a Manchester arrival and ours was Leeds. The letter they gave us at the airport had no details of what had happened it just said 'due to unforseen operational reasons'
    Originally posted by bels333
    Your situation is tricky as you were affected by a closure of the only available runway at TFS. The fact it was caused by another Jet2 aircraft does not enter into it.

Had your aircraft already landed before the incident? or could it not land due to the runway being blocked?

Following the incident, ATC at TFS would have immediately instructed other incoming aircraft to hold and then divert to alternate airports. For that reason I think it's very unlikely that you will qualify for compensation.

Put your flight details into a couple of online flight delay calculators, such as Bott & Co, to see what the claims companies say.

Good luck.
    • bels333
    • By bels333 30th Jun 17, 1:21 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    bels333
    Thanks Tyzap I thought as much. The aircraft hadn't set off I think it was grounded in Leeds.

I've gone on the Bott & Co website and have instructed them to pursue it for me rather than attempting to do this myself as its not so straightforward. I suspect it will be rejected but worth a try all the same.
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 30th Jun 17, 2:42 PM
    • 909 Posts
    • 407 Thanks
    Justice13075
    If Bott & Co have taken it on they must think they have a prety good chance of success.
    • NoviceAngel
    • By NoviceAngel 1st Jul 17, 7:01 AM
    • 1,847 Posts
    • 559 Thanks
    NoviceAngel
    I agree with Tyzap, it will be a difficult one to win - but best of luck - I suspect that this will be classed as ATC restrictions- I don't think Botts will take it on, but I hope I'm wrong and wish you all the best with your claim.
    • bels333
    • By bels333 2nd Jul 17, 9:42 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    bels333
    Yep Bott & Co have taken it on! Will keep you all posted on where we get with it all. Still don't think we will get anything but we shall see.
    • NoviceAngel
    • By NoviceAngel 2nd Jul 17, 11:08 PM
    • 1,847 Posts
    • 559 Thanks
    NoviceAngel
    Hi Bels333,

Thank you for keeping us informed of progress, I'm surprised that Botts have taken your case on, they may know something that we don't...

All the best
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,123Posts Today

9,142Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin