Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Jet2.com ONLY

Comments

• 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Having written to my MEP, my local MP, the UK representative on the EU transport committee, the EU ombudsman, the EU leader of the transport committee, the CAA all more than once - I have given up - the final letter was from the secretary to the EU ombudsman (the ombudsman is actually an Irish woman) and it was apparent that she like all the others mentioned have not got a clue.

Yes you can decide not to fly with a particular airline but choices are limited and indeed if you are a business traveller outside of London very limited. The airlines know this and therefore in my opinion the only way to get some results is to hit the airline on the actual day of delay. When you are delayed exchange emails, take photographs, record conversations and use the media. I detest the Daily Mail but they will run your story and the adverse publicity will be a great worry to the airline who have caused your delay. Yes it probably has to be well over the 3 hours threshold but as many on here know - even a 3 hour delay may have been acceptable.
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The CAA could choose rigorous enforcement if they wanted to - after all, they have responsibility for the effective implementation of 261/04. We should be very clear that they choose not to, preferring encouragement of the airlines over litigation. This encouragement is ineffective and the CAA don't care.

There's quite a complex institutional history to the vexed issue of how the CAA represented passengers' interests. There used to be a slightly separate air passenger council, but it got disbanded. Not sure why - perhaps it started to be too effective?
  • Vauban wrote: »
    The CAA could choose rigorous enforcement if they wanted to - after all, they have responsibility for the effective implementation of 261/04. We should be very clear that they choose not to, preferring encouragement of the airlines over litigation. This encouragement is ineffective and the CAA don't care.

There's quite a complex institutional history to the vexed issue of how the CAA represented passengers' interests. There used to be a slightly separate air passenger council, but it got disbanded. Not sure why - perhaps it started to be too effective?

So you are saying that the CAA have the authority to force the airlines to pay EC 261 claims and they choose not to?

Do they have the powers to fine airlines? Or even remove the airlines operating license if they still refuse to pay claims?

Of course, I know it won't be done, not by our CAA anyway, but interesting to know if they do have the teeth to bite?
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    111KAB wrote: »
    Having written to my MEP, my local MP, the UK representative on the EU transport committee, the EU ombudsman, the EU leader of the transport committee, the CAA all more than once - I have given up - the final letter was from the secretary to the EU ombudsman (the ombudsman is actually an Irish woman) and it was apparent that she like all the others mentioned have not got a clue.

Interesting, I have occasional e mail correspondence with my MEP, who gets rattled with my forthright knowledge and criticism on this subject, and similarly doesn't really have a clue.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112
    Forumite
    Do they have the powers to fine airlines? Or even remove the airlines operating license if they still refuse to pay claims?

Yes I believe they do have powers to impose a fine on any airline that deliberately refuses to pay compensation without a good reason, basically just for the hell of it. Something like £5000 per incident.

I cannot find the correct wording to post.

Of course they have never imposed a fine on any airline or even threatened to as far as I know.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • 111KAB wrote: »
    Yes you can decide not to fly with a particular airline but choices are limited and indeed if you are a business traveller outside of London very limited.

Indeed, myself and my family were due to fly to Barcelona earlier this year with Ryanair - we decided to go with Ryanair - personally lucky enough not to be delayed previously with them and the only other airline going to Barcelona from Leeds/Bradford was Jet2, because of my Court case, I had to go with Ryanair - hotel, transfers, limited insurance and car parking all booked.

Then the devastating news, an email from Ryanair they had pulled out of that route and cancelled our flights.

I checked Manchester, Liverpool, Doncaster, East Mids NO other flights on the same days, apart from J2 at Leeds/Bradford. I reluctantly had to use J2. Luckily no delay this time, but I recall not wanting to mention it on here at the time, I was frightened that if they realised, we were on the flight they might bump us off, because of my involvement here - paranoid - I know.

It really hurt me to book that flight and it was almost double the price of the cancelled RyanAir flights.

At least that's one occasion J2 came to our rescue.
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Tyzap
    Forumite
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • when one contrasts the enforcement powers that they have with what they have actually done, it is abundantly clear that they are simply not fit for purpose.

• Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736
    Forumite
    Someone should put in an FOI request to see how often the CAA have used this power, and with whom.

I already have an FOI request in asking for papers relating to the CAA's decision to support Jet2.com over the Huzar proceedings. Look forward to sharing those in due course ...
  • Tyzap
    Forumite
    Vauban wrote: »

I should imagine that this was due to the governments move to an 'arms length' regulatory set up.

In other words it saved money.

As a result the airlines are left with a self regulatory role that the government can still call 'regulated'.

Win for the government, win for the airlines, win for the CAA
    but for the consumer??? well, who really cares about them anyway!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure