Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 128
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 20th Dec 17, 7:53 PM
    • 1,246 Posts
    • 596 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Hi Matt15,

I doubt it, given the circumstances you describe. Your wife seems to have opted to have the original ticket price refunded. In that case...

"However, where an air carrier can demonstrate that when the passenger has accepted to give his or her personal contact details, it has contacted a passenger and sought to provide the
    assistance required by Article 8, but the passenger has nonetheless made his or her own assistance or re-routing arrangements, then the air carrier may conclude that it is not responsible for any additional costs the passenger has incurred and may decide not to reimburse them."

Did your wife ask RA to re route her ASAP via another airline?

If she did, there is an argument that they should have done so.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
    • Matt15
    • By Matt15 21st Dec 17, 9:58 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Matt15
    Yes, while I was on the phone to them I pointed out that there was an Easyjet flight available from Gatwick on the Wednesday but he said it wasn't possible for them to put us on that flight. I'm not expecting the €250 compensation but would be good if we could claim the £80 difference in cost between the refunded flight and the one we booked.
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 21st Dec 17, 10:35 AM
    • 1,246 Posts
    • 596 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Hi Matt15,

As you can see from the letter, linked to below, the CAA have been trying to force RA to re route passengers via alternative airline when required. It seems that the leopard has not changed it's spots, and RA is still defying the CAA and the regulations.

http://caa.co.uk/uploadedFiles/CAA/Content/News/News_files/2017/Julisz%20Komorek%20Ryanair%20270917.pdf

You should make a complaint to the CAA to inform them that RA are still refusing to re route passengers via the link below...

http://www.caa.co.uk/Passengers/Resolving-travel-problems/How-the-CAA-can-help/How-the-CAA-can-help/

At the same time you should ask AviationADR, linked to below, who are the ADR provider for RA, to adjudicate on your claim. They should find in you favour and push RA to refund you the difference between the cost of the two flights.

https://www.aviationadr.org.uk

All of this is time a pain and consuming for you, but if you feel strongly about the way you have been treated, this is the way to get things sorted out.

Good luck and please let us know how you get on.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
    • cpheonix
    • By cpheonix 27th Dec 17, 10:05 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    cpheonix
    Can anyone tell me when the Ryanair delay compensation ends? I know it's 3hours, but would that be only from take off? E.g. Flight took off after 2.5hr delay, landed but then stuck on the plane for 1.5hr (couldn't disembark until airport had the staff apparently). Basically it went over the 3hrs at the other end of the flight.

Sorry couldn't find this info anywhere.
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 27th Dec 17, 10:49 PM
    • 1,246 Posts
    • 596 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Can anyone tell me when the Ryanair delay compensation ends? I know it's 3hours, but would that be only from take off? E.g. Flight took off after 2.5hr delay, landed but then stuck on the plane for 1.5hr (couldn't disembark until airport had the staff apparently). Basically it went over the 3hrs at the other end of the flight.

Sorry couldn't find this info anywhere.
    Originally posted by cpheonix
    Compensation kicks in when the first aircraft door is opened 3 or more hours after the scheduled arrival time.

Good luck.
    • tbaile
    • By tbaile 29th Dec 17, 1:11 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    tbaile
    Ryanair cancellation due to snow
    Hi

We had a flight from Bordeaux to Stansted cancelled on Wednesday. When the flight was cancelled I immediately called Ryanair customer services. They looked through available flights and no options were available to get back to London the same or next day (they even said there were no flights from Paris which seemed a bit incredible). They advised to make our own way back and to submit receipts for hotel, food and travel. So we booked a hotel in Bordeaux (the 6pm flight was finally cancelled at around 9pm) and then tgv and eurostar the next day. The hotel was 150 euro and train tickets 256 euro each (they were the last available tickets as a lot of people must have been in the same situation). This is a lot more than the cost of the initial flights (around 105 euro each)

Just been reading through other people's experiences and I wanted to know if anyone can advise on what Ryanair should pay; I've submitted a claim via resolver - is that the best way? And should we claim a refund for the flights or would that mean that they will not be liable to pay for the hotel and alternative travel? I'm currently on the chat with Ryanair and they say that if they refund then I can still "proceed with my request for compensation". But don't know whether that means that I can proceed but I am less likely to get anything. many thanks for any advice!
    • tbaile
    • By tbaile 29th Dec 17, 3:56 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    tbaile
    Ryanair cancellation due to snow
    just an update - they have now replied to my resolver complaint (not via resolver but via email):

We sincerely regret the cancellation of your flight FR1783 from Bordeaux to London
    Stansted on the 27/12/2017 which was due to the adverse weather conditions in UK
    caused by heavy snow.
    As this cancellation was for safety reasons and therefore outside Ryanair’s control we regret
    to advise that no monetary compensation is due under EU Regulation 261/2004.
    We note you chose not to rebook with Ryanair!and as you did not utilise our service, the
    only option left for us was to refund your flight.!Once this refund has been
    processed,!Ryanair has no further liability according to EU261.!
    !
    The refunded amount 213.16 should be reflected on your credit card.

Any advice on how to proceed?
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 29th Dec 17, 4:57 PM
    • 1,246 Posts
    • 596 Thanks
    Tyzap
    just an update - they have now replied to my resolver complaint (not via resolver but via email):

We sincerely regret the cancellation of your flight FR1783 from Bordeaux to London
    Stansted on the 27/12/2017 which was due to the adverse weather conditions in UK
    caused by heavy snow.
    As this cancellation was for safety reasons and therefore outside Ryanair’s control we regret
    to advise that no monetary compensation is due under EU Regulation 261/2004.
    We note you chose not to rebook with Ryanair!and as you did not utilise our service, the
    only option left for us was to refund your flight.!Once this refund has been
    processed,!Ryanair has no further liability according to EU261.!
    !
    The refunded amount 213.16 should be reflected on your credit card.

Any advice on how to proceed?
    Originally posted by tbaile
    Hi tbaile,

As you probably suspect, RA are not being very truthful with you.

There were many RA flights arriving and departing from STN throughout the afternoon and evening.

The flight out to you, FR1782, was also cancelled, it was due to depart STN at 18.00. At that time some other RA flights were operating there quite normally.

RA seem to be risk adverse and so cancel flights at the drop of a hat. It's an area that the regulator should be looking into as many passengers are being let down by RA in this way. CAA, please note.

Unless RA can prove, to a court if necessary, that your flight was cancelled due to 'extraordinary circumstances' you will be due compensation and expenses.

It's going to be a battle to get your expenses and compensation back, so I would be tempted to enter your flight details into a couple of online flight delay calculators such as Botts. If they believe you have a valid claim I'd be very tempted to go with them, all be it, at a cost.

Alternatively you could DIY using the ADR company found here...
    https://www.aviationadr.org.uk and MCOL is also an option.

RA don't like it when passengers use a NWNF solicitor but they give you little option when they treat you like this.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Tyzap; 29-12-2017 at 6:24 PM.
    • tbaile
    • By tbaile 1st Jan 18, 6:21 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    tbaile
    Ryanair flight cancellation
    Thanks! I checked on the Botts website and it said that the flight wasn't cancelled! So I've emailed to ask them whether they would take on the case.

Its actually the third flight I've had cancelled this year. The first was with an outbound flight with BA (the IT issues). They paid compensation within a week. Second a return flight with Flybe early in December (snow). They refunded the flight and paid the difference between our alternative travel cost and the flight cost, and paid our hotel costs. Now ryanair......
    • cbyoung007
    • By cbyoung007 2nd Jan 18, 9:27 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    cbyoung007
    Ryanair Flight Compensation September 2017
    Angry Ryanair Flight Cancellation September 2017
    Myself and 3 other persons were booked on a return flight from Bratislava to Leeds Bradford on 15th September 2017
    The lead passenger ( my partner) received a text message late on the night of the 14th September informing her that the flight was cancelled.(approx 14hrs before the published flight time)
    All passengers paid to travel paying for Flex Plus Tickets.

We arrived at the airport 2.5 hrs before the planned departure time, only to be told by the Ryanair agent that the next available flight to Leeds Bradford with Ryanair was on the Monday 18th September,However it was fully booked, therefore the next flight was on Friday 22nd September one week away.

As one of the party had a hospital appointment on Monday 18th September we arranged a flight to Manchester from Vienna on Sunday 17th September thereby ensuring that we would at least be in the UK, the flights cost everyone in the party 474Euros each.
    We then had to make our own way back to York costing £100 by train.

Ryanair have refunded the cost of their cancelled flights and paid statutory compensation under EU261/2004 rules. However they are refusing to pay for 2 nights hotel accommodation,meals and cost of Taxi from Bratislava to Vienna.

Can i now submit a claim for consequential loss through a small claims court?

Could you please advise

Thank You

Charles Young
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 2nd Jan 18, 11:32 AM
    • 1,246 Posts
    • 596 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Hi Charles,

This is what the regulations say should have happened when your flight was cancelled....

"Right to reimbursement, re-routing or rebooking in the event of denied boarding or cancellation.
    Article 8(1) of the Regulation imposes on air carriers the obligation to offer passengers a triple choice, between (i) reimbursement of the ticket price36 and, in the case of connections, a return flight to the airport of departure at the earliest opportunity, (ii) re-routing to their final destination either at the earliest opportunity or, (iii) re-routing at a later date at the passenger’s convenience under comparable transport conditions, subject to availability of seats. As a general principle, when the passenger is informed about the cancellation of the flight and is correctly informed on the available choices, the choice offered to passengers under Article 8(1) is to be made once. In such cases, as soon as the passenger has chosen one of the three options under Article 8(1)(a),(b) or (c), the air carrier no longer has any obligation linked to the other two options. Nonetheless, the obligation to compensation may still apply according to Article 5(1)(c) in connection with Article 7.

The air carrier should simultaneously offer the choice between reimbursement and re-routing. In the case of connecting flights, the air carrier should simultaneously offer the choice between reimbursement and a return flight to the airport of departure and re-routing. The air carrier has to bear the costs for re-routing or a return flight, and must reimburse the costs for the flight borne by the passenger where the air carrier does not comply with its obligation to offer re-routing or return under comparable transport conditions at the earliest opportunity. Where the air carrier does not offer the choice between reimbursement and re-routing and, in the case of connecting flights, reimbursement and a return flight to the airport of departure and re-routing, but decides unilaterally to reimburse the passenger, he or she is entitled to a further reimbursement of the price difference with the new ticket under comparable transport conditions.
    However, where an air carrier can demonstrate that when the passenger has accepted to give his or her personal contact details, it has contacted a passenger and sought to provide the assistance required by Article 8, but the passenger has nonetheless made his or her own assistance or re-routing arrangements, then the air carrier may conclude that it is not responsible for any additional costs the passenger has incurred and may decide not to reimburse them."

I suspect that the underlined section is what RA will use as their defence to avoid repayment. Mostly there is no audit trail available to prove what has been said in the airport during the mayhem surrounding a cancellation, particularly when abroad. This adds a layer of difficulty to any claim.

Please follow the advice in my signature below, read Vaubans guide and follow the links therein to the EC261 regulations.

As you can also see by reading further back in this RA thread, claiming is always made as difficult as possible.

None-the-less, you are entitled to the additional costs of getting yourselves home after being abandoned by RA. However, you would have to use the European Small Claims Procedure (ESCP). Luckily Dr Watson has written a super guide which you can find by going to post 569 on the Ryanair thread and read how to sue them safely.

Good luck.
    • legal magpie
    • By legal magpie 2nd Jan 18, 5:58 PM
    • 781 Posts
    • 364 Thanks
    legal magpie
    I would pursue a claim based on what you actually paid out to get home less the cost of the original flights. The aim of the Court is to put you in the financial position you would have been in had Ryan Air not Cancelled. Can you explain why you couldn’t get a flight sooner. And how would you have got from Leeds/Bradford back to York? If by taxi, it’s the extra cost. Also you will have to show that, faced with Ryan Air’s breach, you did all that you could to keep expenses down.
    • CyC2018
    • By CyC2018 2nd Jan 18, 11:51 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    CyC2018
    Ryanair rejection
    Returning to Leeds Bradford Airport from Malaga on 11 December our flights FR2447 was delayed by 3 hours 40 minutes due to technical problems which caused us to change planes on Malaga runway. I have submitted a claim via Resolver. Ryanair have rejected the claim saying the flight was delayed due to snow at Leeds Bradford Airport. There was indeed snow at LBA on the morning of 11 December but this was not the reason for the delay. Ryanair have said this is their 'final position' and if I am unhappy I should take my complaint to AviationADR.

I have emailed Ryanair to give them another chance to settle as I am sure the change of plane in Malaga cannot be put down to snow in Yorkshire! But should I just go ahead and take my case to AviationADR? It seems a quite straightforward process.
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 3rd Jan 18, 8:04 AM
    • 1,246 Posts
    • 596 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Hi CyC2018,

Yes, it's time to approach AviationADR.

I agree that RA seem to be using the problems at LBA earlier as an excuse. I can see that there were aircraft arriving and departing LBA from 11am (when I started looking), so the airport was not closed but maybe slightly restricted.

Given that your aircraft was changed, weather at LBA could not be the problem. If your aircraft had not arrived because it was trapped at LBA it may have been different.

Good luck.
    • tboo
    • By tboo 4th Jan 18, 4:34 PM
    • 529 Posts
    • 1,574 Thanks
    tboo
    Stansted to krakow delay
    My daughter and her bf were delayed at Stansted - the plane arriving had a medical emergency on board so they were delayed for 1hr in the departure lounge, the passengers were then allowed on board but were then delayed for a further 5 hrs on the plane.
    No drinks or food were offered or any explanations for the delay.

How do you obtain the reasons for the delay, I have tried to google it but can't find it - I do realise it may be false.
    The delay has been logged as 5hrs 59 mins on 1 site (flightright).

Do they have a chance in claiming?
    Any help will be appreciated.
    Stansted to Krakov
    flight - FR2432
    8.35 to 11.55
    27/12/17

----------------------------------------------------------
    “Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely.”
    ----------------------------------------------
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 4th Jan 18, 5:03 PM
    • 1,246 Posts
    • 596 Thanks
    Tyzap
    My daughter and her bf were delayed at Stansted - the plane arriving had a medical emergency on board so they were delayed for 1hr in the departure lounge, the passengers were then allowed on board but were then delayed for a further 5 hrs on the plane.
    No drinks or food were offered or any explanations for the delay.

How do you obtain the reasons for the delay, I have tried to google it but can't find it - I do realise it may be false.
    The delay has been logged as 5hrs 59 mins on 1 site (flightright).

Do they have a chance in claiming?
    Any help will be appreciated.
    Stansted to Krakov
    flight - FR2432
    8.35 to 11.55
    27/12/17
    Originally posted by tboo
    Hi tboo.

From about 9am the snow started to come down which caused quite a few problems.

Ironically, had the aircraft been ready to depart at the scheduled time it would have possibly just made it prior to the snow starting.

Of course, this will make claiming pretty difficult as the airline will claim an EC due to weather exempts them.

Good luck.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 4th Jan 18, 5:04 PM
    • 3,409 Posts
    • 952 Thanks
    JPears
    Clearly the medical emergency was the initial delay, but a further 5 hour delay was obviously not caused by the med. emergency.
    The delay could have been technical, in which case compensation could be due.
    Or it could have been weather/ATC related. Did the pilot give any reasons for the delay?
    I think Ryanair were obliged, under the regulations, to provide refreshments with such a lengthy delay, even though boarded. i don't think the regulation differentiates on this matter ie boarded or still in the airport?
    I was delayed on a Ryanair flight sat on tarmac for nearly 2 hours in 80deg heat. Fortunately we had had food and water and we left before the 2 hours. If we hadn't I would have been letting everyone on board know about the regulation.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • JPears
    • By JPears 4th Jan 18, 5:09 PM
    • 3,409 Posts
    • 952 Thanks
    JPears
    Ah, posted too late. If weather related then probably no claim. Since both delays were ECs
    Assuming RA are telling the truth about the medical emergency......
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • tboo
    • By tboo 4th Jan 18, 5:30 PM
    • 529 Posts
    • 1,574 Thanks
    tboo
    Thanks for the help

I have myself just come back from an Xmas holiday yesterday so the previous posts scant information was relayed via messenger.

Daughter has now returned from work and given me more information.

An ambulance was there when the plane arrived and the lady walked off the plane

They were then allowed on board.

She said the 1st message on board was the plane was waiting to be de-iced, then no other info apart from we are setting off in 1 hr, hour comes and goes, then another message we will be setting off in an hr etc. until they finally departed with a 2 hr flight.

No offer at all of food or drinks on board – bf did purchase a sandwich, there was no indication of this could be free, no receipt given (I was told all this after the event).

Looks like a no go regarding claiming, at least they know now what to do in the future (let’s hope not though).

----------------------------------------------------------
    “Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely.”
    ----------------------------------------------
    • toozie
    • By toozie 7th Jan 18, 2:34 PM
    • 3,246 Posts
    • 5,904 Thanks
    toozie
    Hello

I have posted here and got some great advice before and I am now ready to go to the European Small Claims, I just need someone to hold my hand a bit please.
    I have read Dr Watsons guide.....

Ryanair do not normally fly to Marco Polo in Venice, but there was something going on at the orther airport so we booked flights to Marco Polo.
    Due to retrun to UK in October at 11am, it was foggy, some planes were landing. We were told at the gate that the flight was delayed until 3pm.
    All the departure boards stated 3pm.
    Fog lifted, planes, including Ryanair were landing.
    Called to gate at 2pm (just after a Ryanair plane landed) to first find out we were leaving from another airport 2.5 hours away.
    Got on coach outside
    Around 4.45pm boarded plane at other airport- had to wait on the plane for 1.30 hours for rest of passengers to arrive.
    Capatain stated he should have left at 3pm
    Eventually left at 18:16 with was 7 hours 16 mins after 11am or 3 hours 16 minutes after 3pm.
    Ryanair emailed a certificate of delay & stated we could claim on our travel insurance for the delay.

Put in a complaint through Resolver, and I have been having some correspondence back, and they sent me a cheque for £38 for expenses at the airport- which I have refused to cash.
    Ryanair have stated it was "act of God" the fog, and therefore the claim for compensation x 4 passengers does not appy.

Took on board information from Dr Watson & here, that the issue was with the plane coming in for us, did not arrives, so there was no plane for us to leave on, also had we been told in the monring and buses laid on then, we would have been at the other airport for 3pm to leave at that time, so even if the delay was from 3pm, it was still over 3 hours.

About 14 days ago I sent a Letter of Deadlock through Resolver- and the replay came back to state a "cheque for £38" was being sent!!!
    I also emailed vairous heads of dept that I found on-line with a "read & acknowledge" - no replies
    Also sent the letter via the customer service email.

I am ready to take this further now, bit scared........and how much will the court costs be? If I won would I get theis back?

When I put the flight number into Botts it states I have a claim.

Any help would be very gratfully received x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,306Posts Today

9,819Users online

Martin's Twitter