Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 120
    • richardw
    • By richardw 28th Sep 17, 1:05 PM
    • 18,351 Posts
    • 7,590 Thanks
    richardw
    When they need to bite, they don't put their teeth in.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • PeterCee
    • By PeterCee 28th Sep 17, 3:50 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    PeterCee
    Ryanair Cancelled Flight - Compensation Claim
    I've had a flight cancelled for January 2018. Only offered a Ryanair flight for the next day, so accepted a refund and booked an alternative carrier at an extra cost of around 160 Euro.

Got through to their chat line today and asked them about claiming the extra cost and they advised me to fill in the contact form for general complaints contactform using the topic 'other' - which I did.

This has been acknowledged by email saying they will respond 'as soon as possible.

For good measure I also submitted my complaint via Resolver as well.

We'll see what happens.....

On a side issue they have also requested that I be patient with regards to the fact that I have not yet received the publicised 40 Euro vouchers - They have admitted that the vouchers may not yet have been emailed out.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 28th Sep 17, 4:06 PM
    • 3,338 Posts
    • 925 Thanks
    JPears
    I've had a flight cancelled for January 2018. Only offered a Ryanair flight for the next day, so accepted a refund and booked an alternative carrier at an extra cost of around 160 Euro.

Got through to their chat line today and asked them about claiming the extra cost and they advised me to fill in the contact form for general complaints contactform using the topic 'other' - which I did.

This has been acknowledged by email saying they will respond 'as soon as possible.

On a side issue they have also requested that I be patient with regards to the fact that I have not yet received the publicised 40 Euro vouchers - They have admitted that the vouchers may not yet have been emailed out.
    Originally posted by PeterCee
    Deleted as incorrect!
    Last edited by JPears; 29-09-2017 at 1:22 PM.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • PeterCee
    • By PeterCee 29th Sep 17, 11:56 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    PeterCee
    "If your flight is cancelled or changed the airline will give you a choice of two options – regardless of the fact that the notice period you were given" Taken from /news/travel/2017/09/ryanair-cancels-more-flights

If the above MSE article is correct then It appears that the revised Ryanair policy is now to offer alternative airlines irrespective of notice.

However those persons who were not given this option on Wednesday have gone away and made alternative arrangements and suffered a loss.

Common sense says this is not fair or reasonable behavior by Ryanair - so people should complain to Ryanair and await their response.

In the event that the response is negative I wonder what alternatives there might be under english law ?
    • JPears
    • By JPears 29th Sep 17, 12:11 PM
    • 3,338 Posts
    • 925 Thanks
    JPears
    Recover those costs via small claims court. A similar case was posted up recently. Whilst not setting precedent it is persuasive.

• PeterCee
    • By PeterCee 29th Sep 17, 2:27 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    PeterCee
    I would imagine there will be many others in the same situation as mine.

A large number of flights cancelled on wednesday for over the christmas & new year period would inevitably result in customers with cancelled flights taking swift action to secure the few remaining seats with alternative carriers at a significant loss.

It makes me wonder if some sort of 'group litigation' might be appropriate ?

If this were to be organised by MSE then so much the better.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 29th Sep 17, 2:56 PM
    • 3,338 Posts
    • 925 Thanks
    JPears
    Group litigation is not really an option in UK. However I suspect Botts are looking at the situaton closely as they could consider an extension to their flight delay compensation activities. Definite market there I suspect.

• PeterCee
    • By PeterCee 29th Sep 17, 4:37 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    PeterCee
    Interestingly Ryanair are now saying on their web site that :

If any Ryanair customer on one of these disrupted flights believes that they may have chosen an
    option that was not suitable for them as a result of any misunderstanding of their EU261 rights, then
    they should write directly to Ryanair’s Director of Customer Services and Ryanair will assist them in
    any way it can to obtain their full EU261 rights and entitlements.

So maybe there is hope for us yet.....
    • ex2t633w
    • By ex2t633w 29th Sep 17, 7:43 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ex2t633w
    Has anyone had same experience as us?
    Ryanair flight took off with our luggage, but left us behind !
    We got totally lost in PALMA airport, and got to gate 3minutes late, flight closed.
    Luggage not unloaded though! ---- it ended up being taken back to GLASGOW, so we had no clothes for 2 weeks in Majorca! Had to buy new once we did get a flight out the next DAY-------------------- It was our fault missing flight, but are they allowed to take UNACCOMPANIED baggage?? Surely a security risk these days !!!??
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 29th Sep 17, 9:48 PM
    • 1,177 Posts
    • 564 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Interestingly Ryanair are now saying on their web site that :

If any Ryanair customer on one of these disrupted flights believes that they may have chosen an
    option that was not suitable for them as a result of any misunderstanding of their EU261 rights, then
    they should write directly to Ryanair’s Director of Customer Services and Ryanair will assist them in
    any way it can to obtain their full EU261 rights and entitlements.

So maybe there is hope for us yet.....
    Thats quite a impudent statement by RA.

I would suggest that this proves the total disdain with which RA holds it's passengers.

Hope the CAA takes note.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide.
    • thescot
    • By thescot 29th Sep 17, 11:56 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    thescot
    still not sure if I am entitled to any help from Ryanair. I was informed that the flight my group were on from Edinburgh to Rome has been cancelled flying out on the 25th November 2017 returning 27th nov 2017. AS this was the only dates we could fly I took up the offer of rerouting to another flight. The only flights that fitted these dates was from Manchester. (same dates as original holiday)This flight was with Ryanair. I couldn't afford to give up hotels etc that were booked in ROME also it was the only time this group of friends could travel together. I now have the added cost of traveling to Manchester for a 6.40am flight. also the same on the return from Manchester. plus we may now have to book an overnight stay in Manchester because of distance to that airport from our original airport. am I due any compensation to cover these costs
    Last edited by thescot; 29-09-2017 at 11:59 PM. Reason: need to add important information
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 30th Sep 17, 4:39 AM
    • 1,177 Posts
    • 564 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Hi thescot,

I would say that what you propose sounds very reasonable but, as you still have time, I would contact RA and ask them directly, if you can get through to them. Keep notes about what they say, prepare for the worst and hope for the best!

You are not due EC261 compensation as you have been informed more than two weeks in advance.

If you do incur additional cost you should keep costs as reasonable as possible, keeping whatever evidence you have. In other words, don't give them any leeway to refuse you on cost grounds.

This is still a very fluid situation so good luck, and please let us know how you get on.
    Last edited by Tyzap; 30-09-2017 at 4:44 AM.
    • PeterCee
    • By PeterCee 2nd Oct 17, 9:25 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    PeterCee

Out of the frying pan into the fire for me.......the alternative carrier I booked with was Monarch !

Sometimes you just have to laugh.....
    • jascott85
    • By jascott85 2nd Oct 17, 11:48 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jascott85
    Hi All

I recently had a flight cancelled by Ryanair (Brussels to Berlin). I have received a refund on the flight but the flight was cancelled with less than one weeks notice. I will also be sending a compensation claim (€250 per passenger). As a result of the cancellation, I had to purchase train tickets to get my wife and I to our intended destination instead in order to preserve the other bookings for our holiday. Can I also claim Ryanair for the train tickets? If so, what legislation covers me for this?

Thanks
    • legal magpie
    • By legal magpie 2nd Oct 17, 3:33 PM
    • 768 Posts
    • 360 Thanks
    legal magpie
    JAScott. Your claim is for the increased cost of alternative transport. I.e. Rail fare less Ryan Air fare.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 2nd Oct 17, 4:08 PM
    • 3,338 Posts
    • 925 Thanks
    JPears
    Out of the frying pan into the fire for me.......the alternative carrier I booked with was Monarch !

Sometimes you just have to laugh.....
    Feel for you.

• chaytorial
    • By chaytorial 2nd Oct 17, 5:59 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    chaytorial
    Ryanair Cancelled Flight - No Alternative Flight within 3x Cost Bracket
    Me and my fianc! were booked on Ryanair return flights from Edinburgh to Stansted in November for a friends birthday. They were £9.99 each way so we only spent £40 in total.

I contacted Ryanair to ask if I could book on an alternative flight, but it turns out they cancelled the whole route. The only other airline that covers the route is Easyjet. Unfortunately, to book 2 return flights at the same time with Easyjet it would cost us £150 and Ryanair have said that since it costs more than 3 times our original ticket price they can't guarantee that we will receive any compensation from them if we go ahead and book with Easyjet.

I would quite like to go ahead and book the flights. Is there any chance that we will get the money back from Ryanair?

The Easyjet flights are legitimately the cheapest way we can get to Stansted and back on the original dates.
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 2nd Oct 17, 6:27 PM
    • 1,177 Posts
    • 564 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Me and my fianc! were booked on Ryanair return flights from Edinburgh to Stansted in November for a friends birthday. They were £9.99 each way so we only spent £40 in total.

I contacted Ryanair to ask if I could book on an alternative flight, but it turns out they cancelled the whole route. The only other airline that covers the route is Easyjet. Unfortunately, to book 2 return flights at the same time with Easyjet it would cost us £150 and Ryanair have said that since it costs more than 3 times our original ticket price they can't guarantee that we will receive any compensation from them if we go ahead and book with Easyjet.

I would quite like to go ahead and book the flights. Is there any chance that we will get the money back from Ryanair?

The Easyjet flights are legitimately the cheapest way we can get to Stansted and back on the original dates.
    Originally posted by chaytorial
    Hi chaytorial,

Personally I don't believe that the CAA would let them get away without refunding you the EJ costs, however, that's just my opinion.

As the CAA have said that RA must pay for alternative flights, I don't see them now refusing to enforce it.

Without RA operating that route, there is no competition to keep prices low.
    • jascott85
    • By jascott85 2nd Oct 17, 6:36 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jascott85
    Thanks for your reply, legal magpie

So in summary, I can claim for the €250 (per passenger) and the difference of the flight refund and train tickets?

I intend to write them a letter to claim for the above. Is it all covered under European Regulation (EC) No. 261/2004?

Thanks
    • chaytorial
    • By chaytorial 2nd Oct 17, 6:40 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    chaytorial
    Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

How do I go about claiming the money back?
    I assume I don't cancel my Ryanair flight, re-book with Easyjet and fill in some compensation form?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,040Posts Today

7,034Users online

Martin's Twitter