Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 29
    • Nsar
    • By Nsar 27th Sep 17, 6:04 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Nsar
    Suspicious reason for flight cancellation
    Hi
    Two flights I was booked on with Flybe were cancelled on successive days.
    The first cancellation has been agreed and the compensation just paid (NB Flybe initially offered me £100 not 250 Euros and told me it's their policy only to offer the full amount if people know to ask - which I think is despicable).
    The second flight which was the one I was re-booked on the next day was also cancelled just over 3 hours after the scheduled departure.
    They assigned it a gate for the delayed departure time, called everyone to the gate at the usual time and when they cancelled after the delayed the departure time, the gate staff said it was due to the incoming service needing to be checked after a suspected bird strike.
    Flybe have said the flight was cancelled due to fog earlier in the day at MAN causing delays. I think that's B.S. because flights had been arriving at MAN for about 3.5 hours previously and if it was always going to be cancelled due to the fleet being out of position, why keep delaying the departure, then assign a gate, call everyone to the gate and then only cancel when the incoming flight had landed? They say no compensation is due because fog is an act of God.
    Anyone know if the reason for the cancellation is in the public domain or can be requested? Also, if the cancellation decision is made after 3 hours delay, am I not entitled to the compensation anyway?
    Thanks in advance.
    • lfc84
    • By lfc84 27th Sep 17, 6:10 PM
    • 325 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    lfc84
    read this for some guidance

http://www.bottonline.co.uk/flight-delay-compensation/claim-guides/flight-compensation-bad-weather
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 27th Sep 17, 7:03 PM
    • 1,053 Posts
    • 525 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Hi Nsar,

I'd inform the CAA about the offer of £100 to avoid a full compensation payout, any attempted avoidance should be of great interest to them.

It sounds very much like your flight was cancelled due to the knock on effects of fog earlier on in the day, or even the previous day. If that's the case you would still be due compensation.

If there had been a bird strike it would be considered as an extraordinary circumstance and no compensation would be due.

The reason you were still given the run around would be a late decision to officially cancel the flight. Airport and gate staff etc would just carry on as normal until they were informed of the cancellation. They genuinely are often kept in the dark too.

I would ask Flybe for a deadlock letter confirming they are not prepared to negotiate any further and then ask them to pass your case to their ADR partner.

Details found here...

https://www.aviationadr.org.uk

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 28th Sep 17, 10:04 AM
    • 3,149 Posts
    • 883 Thanks
    JPears
    But can Nsar claim twice for the same journey, if compensation has already been agreed for the first cancellation? Unless they obtained a refund a re-booked the journey themselves?
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • Nsar
    • By Nsar 28th Sep 17, 11:30 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Nsar
    Thanks for the replies. Since posting I have had a deadlock email from Flybe and have raised a complaint with AviationADR. In reply to JPears specifically, I have now received the compensation for the first cancelled flight (albeit after some pretty tiresome feet dragging and 'oh yes, we do need to refund your ticket price as well, thanks for reminding us...' from Flybe). I'd argue that I was significantly delayed and inconvenienced on two separate flights on two days which meant I lost a working day, so two compensation payments are appropriate, but I imagine Flybe has a different view!
    • JPears
    • By JPears 28th Sep 17, 12:03 PM
    • 3,149 Posts
    • 883 Thanks
    JPears
    Could you clarify:
    1. Your first flight was cancelled and you received a refund, made a new booking yourself, which was then cancelled and gave up?
    Or
    2. Your flight was cancelled, Flybe, agreed to compensation and re-booked on the next flight, which was also cancelled. So you gave up and made no flight at all?
    Last edited by JPears; 28-09-2017 at 12:10 PM.

• Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 28th Sep 17, 12:54 PM
    • 1,053 Posts
    • 525 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Thanks for the replies.
    I imagine Flybe has a different view!
    Originally posted by Nsar
    They will do, but you're on track and flying in the right direction now.

Lets see what the adjudicator decides.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide.
    • lfc84
    • By lfc84 4th Oct 17, 12:43 PM
    • 325 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    lfc84
    how long do they normally take to reply to a customer service case claiming eu261/2004 ?
    • JPears
    • By JPears 4th Oct 17, 1:52 PM
    • 3,149 Posts
    • 883 Thanks
    JPears
    As long as you let them.
    Keep contacting/reminding them.

• Nsar
    • By Nsar 4th Oct 17, 5:47 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Nsar
    Hi JPears, sorry for late reply to your question the other day.
    I was booked on a flight on a Monday - cancelled and was re-booked by Flybe for the Tuesday, also cancelled.
    First flight refund of expenses incurred and compensation has been received (after dragging of feet and trying not to pay the full amount). It is the compensation for the second cancelled flight that is in dispute. I made way own way back to Manchester as I decided that Flybe couldn't be relied upon to get me on the next available flight.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 4th Oct 17, 10:49 PM
    • 3,149 Posts
    • 883 Thanks
    JPears
    It's generally accepted that you can't claim twice for the same journey. Because you only paid for one journey.
    If you obtained a refund for your first cancelled flight, then paid for your replacement fight, you would have a stronger case for 2x compensation.

• Nsar
    • By Nsar 5th Oct 17, 9:04 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Nsar
    I'm not seeking a refund for the second flight (as I didn't pay for a second ticket), only compensation for the delay and disruption to the best part of a working day caused by the second cancellation. Flybe hasn't said that I'm not entitled to compensation for the reason of 'one journey', the reason they give is Act of God.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 5th Oct 17, 11:57 AM
    • 3,149 Posts
    • 883 Thanks
    JPears
    Your best bet for additional compensation could be through the ADR Flybe has signed up to.
    https://www.aviationadr.org.uk/
    But I would be pessimistic about any success, at best.

• Nsar
    • By Nsar 5th Oct 17, 12:31 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Nsar
    Thanks, yes since starting this this thread I have been in touch with AviationADR and they have sent the claim to FlyBe and I await their response.
    I'll post again when there is something to report.
    • nuttyrockeress
    • By nuttyrockeress 5th Oct 17, 6:54 PM
    • 1,249 Posts
    • 3,802 Thanks
    nuttyrockeress
    Flight to Doncaster from Berlin early September cancelled. Flight rebooked for next day by Flybe.

Received confirmation this afternoon we will receive €250 compensation and reimbursement of our hotel for the extra night and the evening meal! Thanks MSE and resolver!
    It's nice to be nutty but's more important to be nice
    • Wheres My Cashback
    • By Wheres My Cashback 12th Oct 17, 8:14 AM
    • 2,759 Posts
    • 33,654 Thanks
    Wheres My Cashback
    First time I've ever looked at these boards, but am very regular here on MSE. First thing I notice/suspect is trolling behaviour unfortunately.

That aside came here to post about a delayed Flybe flight. To cut a long story short, claimed using MSE template letter, full compensation received 29 days later, no quibble. Can't possibly fault that.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 12th Oct 17, 10:25 AM
    • 3,149 Posts
    • 883 Thanks
    JPears
    trolling behaviour? Please be kind enough to elaborate and explain.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

105Posts Today

2,394Users online

Martin's Twitter