Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 81
    • Becust
    • By Becust 7th Jul 17, 4:40 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Becust
    It was a BA flight to Madrid first, then an Iberia longhaul flight to Sao Paulo.
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 7th Jul 17, 10:55 PM
    • 10,580 Posts
    • 6,929 Thanks
    Caz3121
    It was a BA flight to Madrid first, then an Iberia longhaul flight to Sao Paulo.
    Originally posted by Becust
    what was your flight number?
    • beekay1943
    • By beekay1943 10th Jul 17, 12:13 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    beekay1943
    After flying down to Heathrow with BA to attend a final at Wembley on 28 May, our return flight to Aberdeen at 9.00pm was cancelled. We could make no contact with BA via their website nor on the phone number supplied. We went to Terminal 5 but were not even allowed access to the Check-in area - BA had left us completely to our own devices re meals, accommodation and alternative travel arrangements. We were aware that some passengers had already spent more than 24 hrs camped within Terminal 5 and some of our party of six Had to get back to work in Aberdeen the following morning (Monday.) Therefore, our party of six hired a six-seater car to get us back to Aberdeen - a 536 mile, 8-hour overnight drive. Followed prolonged communications with BA we had a refund of the cancelled flight fare but NOT for the seats booked at extra cost AND they made a further deduction for a "Cancellation Penalty on Fare." I can find no mention of such a cancellation charge in their T&Cs. BA recently confirmed by email that they would reimburse the cost of the hire car but, within an hour, withdrew this in view of the fact our refund for the cancelled flight fare more than covered the cost of the car hire. Is this justified in view of our having to endure such a long overnight drive? Had we not hired the car, BA would have had to supply all six of us with meals and accommodation for at least one night which would have cost just as much - if not more. We have also received £438.82 as EU Compensation.
    Last edited by beekay1943; 10-07-2017 at 12:16 PM.
    • Vauban
    • By Vauban 10th Jul 17, 12:53 PM
    • 4,606 Posts
    • 2,039 Thanks
    Vauban
    You are entitled to a) compensation of €250 per person; b) refund of air fares OR cost of rerouting (in you case by hire car); c) and costs of any meals or accommodation during the duration of delay.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 10th Jul 17, 12:53 PM
    • 2,882 Posts
    • 812 Thanks
    JPears
    From your details you should be able to claim:
    Refund of your flights in full. BA messed up, not you. They cancelled your flight and didn't offer alternative arrangements.
    Compensation under reg 261/2004 of 250Euro per person.
    Cost of your alternative arrangements/transport difference if greater than the refund for flights.
    BA stand to make a massive loss due to the IT fiasco and will try to distract people with any old BS.
    Download Vauban's guide = all the information you require to proceed should be found in there.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • Sylvia Mahal
    • By Sylvia Mahal 13th Jul 17, 8:23 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sylvia Mahal
    Can't believe it almost 2 months since the British Airways meltdown on May 27th and they are still not accepting responsibility for it and we still have missing luggage!!!!!

Is anyone else being fobbed off?

We booked with BA to go to Almeria via Madrid, they chose to use Iberia planes, on May 27th. Our flight was cancelled and we had to book with another airline to fly out to Spain on the 30th.

They are trying to say it is not their fault we should be seeking compensation from Iberia.

Help!!

We are now being pushed between the two both saying it is the other airline's problem

What do we do if no one will take responsibility for our compensation and expenses?
    Last edited by Sylvia Mahal; 17-07-2017 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Up date to situation.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 13th Jul 17, 8:38 AM
    • 2,882 Posts
    • 812 Thanks
    JPears
    They are correct. You did not say before that the flight was actually with Iberia. Your claim is against the airline you should have flown with, not who you booked through. ie Iberia, not BA. It would appear that you have not read through Vauban's guide as it clearly states this fact.
    BAs only involvement is the IT meltdown and that they are in the same parent company.

• cocacolakid
    • By cocacolakid 13th Jul 17, 10:00 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    cocacolakid
    Finally heard back about my claim from BA during the May Bank Holiday computer crash and to my dismay it has been rejected under EU Regs claiming I was only 23 mins late.
    In fact I was well over 4 hours late, more after I queued an hour to report my luggage missing. I had flown Man to NY with my Man - Lon flight over 4 hours late taking off so I missed my original flight to NY. It was the one they rebooked me on that was 23 mins late but I arrived over 4 hours later than I should have done (19.05) past midnight and they have also refused my claim for a taxi then and a meal at Manchester airport.
    Has anyone else had this attempt to wriggle out of paying by taking the time of the flight you eventually took rather than the one you were booked on?
    • legal magpie
    • By legal magpie 13th Jul 17, 11:12 PM
    • 679 Posts
    • 333 Thanks
    legal magpie
    This is happening all the time. If you booked a through ticket with the same airline it is the final arrival time that counts. Download Vauban's guide.
    • Sylvia Mahal
    • By Sylvia Mahal 18th Jul 17, 2:57 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sylvia Mahal
    What do we do if no one will take reponsibility
    Following on from my last Post.

BA and Iberia will not take any responsibility for our delayed flight. Both say it is the other.

What should we do next. I have put in a complaint through Resolver but we are not getting anywhere.
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 18th Jul 17, 3:26 PM
    • 893 Posts
    • 403 Thanks
    Justice13075
    Quite simple what Aircraft did you fly on BA or Iberia. Which ever one it was that's who you go to for compensation irregardless of who you booked with. Google and download Vaubans guide and read. There is a template letter on page 6 for you to send to the relevant Airline.
    Good Luck
    • JPears
    • By JPears 18th Jul 17, 4:27 PM
    • 2,882 Posts
    • 812 Thanks
    JPears
    Following on from my last Post.

BA and Iberia will not take any responsibility for our delayed flight. Both say it is the other.

What should we do next. I have put in a complaint through Resolver but we are not getting anywhere.
    Originally posted by Sylvia Mahal
    Did you not read my last post to you?

• Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 18th Jul 17, 10:53 PM
    • 843 Posts
    • 444 Thanks
    Tyzap
    BA computer fiasco
    If you're still awaiting a full refund from BA following the IT fiasco have a read of this article and, in particular, what Coby at Bott & Co has to say about purchasing replacement flights from 'other' airlines yourself.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4705046/Friends-caught-BA-fiasco-haven-t-received-compensation.html
    Please read Vaubans superb guide.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

398Posts Today

4,576Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin