Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 80
    • Antperson
    • By Antperson 28th Jun 17, 12:15 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Antperson
    Does anyone know how the distance calculation for compensation works for Transit passengers. I was on a BA flight from North AMerica to Glasgow with a transfer in London. Caught up in BA flight chaos at Heathrow and they are only offering me compensation based on London to Glasgow distance. I think there is an argument that my flight ticket was from Montreal to Glasgow and therefor compensation should be for that distance but I cannot find any advice for transit passengers.

On another note they have not even offered enough in expenses to cover my next day train fare home, overnight accomodation in London and very modest meal costs.
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 28th Jun 17, 12:41 PM
    • 1,055 Posts
    • 526 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Does anyone know how the distance calculation for compensation works for Transit passengers. I was on a BA flight from North AMerica to Glasgow with a transfer in London. Caught up in BA flight chaos at Heathrow and they are only offering me compensation based on London to Glasgow distance. I think there is an argument that my flight ticket was from Montreal to Glasgow and therefor compensation should be for that distance but I cannot find any advice for transit passengers.

On another note they have not even offered enough in expenses to cover my next day train fare home, overnight accomodation in London and very modest meal costs.
    Originally posted by Antperson
    Hi Antperson,

If you were travelling on a through ticket, and not two or more separate tickets, the distance is calculated from the starting point through to your final destination. You can check that distance using the web site GreatCircle Mapper.

What BA are telling you is not correct, the regs are clear on this and there is some case law too. You are due 600 euros per pax.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 28th Jun 17, 1:11 PM
    • 3,151 Posts
    • 885 Thanks
    JPears

So did you get train home from Heathrow rather than a delayed flight, or was no replacement flight offered? They should reimburse you all costs, and a refund on your unused part of the flight. They should have found you a hotel.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • Antperson
    • By Antperson 28th Jun 17, 10:34 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Antperson
    Hi Antperson,

If you were travelling on a through ticket, and not two or more separate tickets, the distance is calculated from the starting point through to your final destination. You can check that distance using the web site GreatCircle Mapper.

What BA are telling you is not correct, the regs are clear on this and there is some case law too. You are due 600 euros per pax.

Good luck.
    Originally posted by Tyzap
    Thanks this is really helpful, if you know where I can find some authority for this that I can quote to BA that would be fantastic.
    • Antperson
    • By Antperson 28th Jun 17, 10:36 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Antperson
    So did you get train home from Heathrow rather than a delayed flight, or was no replacement flight offered? They should reimburse you all costs, and a refund on your unused part of the flight. They should have found you a hotel.
    Originally posted by JPears

It was the ICT chaos in May so they didn't help anyone with hotels and couldn't rebook me. I feel strongly they should pay for the hotel and train fare at least.
    • Vauban
    • By Vauban 28th Jun 17, 11:12 PM
    • 4,687 Posts
    • 2,076 Thanks
    Vauban
    Thanks this is really helpful, if you know where I can find some authority for this that I can quote to BA that would be fantastic.
    The Regulation itself - and the Folkerts judgement.

It was the ICT chaos in May so they didn't help anyone with hotels and couldn't rebook me. I feel strongly they should pay for the hotel and train fare at least.
    Hotel and meals should be reimbursed. Consequential losses, like onward transport, isn't - but the general compensation might cover. And you can always ask - including CEDR (who are used by BA as ADR providers).
    • Antperson
    • By Antperson 29th Jun 17, 7:04 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Antperson
    Thanks for the help everyone, will get back on to them. Difficulty I have is they offered a figure that doesn't meet my hotel, modest food and transport costs but I can't work out what bits have been turned down.
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 29th Jun 17, 8:27 AM
    • 1,055 Posts
    • 526 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Thanks for the help everyone, will get back on to them. Difficulty I have is they offered a figure that doesn't meet my hotel, modest food and transport costs but I can't work out what bits have been turned down.
    Just give them a figure, along with receipts. If your not happy with what they offer you ask them for a deadlock letter, which allows you to immediately take your claim to CEDR.

You can claim compensation of 600 euros plus your costs and expenses, so long as you have receipts.

https://www.cedr.com/aviation/docslib/11-cedr-aviation-adjudication-scheme-rules-3rd-edition-final.pdf?v=1490975067

Good luck.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 29th Jun 17, 9:27 AM
    • 3,151 Posts
    • 885 Thanks
    JPears
    As they were unable to offer you a re-route the regulation does oblige them to consider other forms of transport instead, ie the train journey you made. So you definitely should be able to claim that.

• cwoolner
    • By cwoolner 29th Jun 17, 5:22 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    cwoolner
    Has anyone actually recieved any compensation after the It failure?
    I applied for compensation straight away & I got an email back saying they would pay but 1 month on I haven't received any money & they've not replied to a single email since.
    Has anyone actually received any compensation from them? It's a really bad show - they could have redeemed themselves by paying the compensation quickly but now I'm angry with them all over again!
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 29th Jun 17, 5:35 PM
    • 1,055 Posts
    • 526 Thanks
    Tyzap
    I applied for compensation straight away & I got an email back saying they would pay but 1 month on I haven't received any money & they've not replied to a single email since.
    Has anyone actually received any compensation from them? It's a really bad show - they could have redeemed themselves by paying the compensation quickly but now I'm angry with them all over again!
    Originally posted by cwoolner
    Lots of pax have received full pay outs pretty quickly.

It seems that those prepared to be patient are left till last.

I would phone them and pester them.

Good luck.
    • No_Bob
    • By No_Bob 4th Jul 17, 6:27 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    No_Bob
    I flew from Singapore to Manchester via London last month.

The first flight from Singapore to London was delayed twelve hours. The connecting flight I was due to take in the morning was cancelled and I was put on a flight in the evening.

Because I would arrive too late into Manchester to take a train home, I had to cancel my booked train ticket and catch a taxi home.

I claimed compensation for the two flights, the one from Singapore to London and the one from London to Manchester. I also claimed a refund for the taxi and for the admin fee that the train company charged me when I cancelled the train ticket.

BA said that because my final destination was Manchester, and that my arrival there was delayed by more than three hours, I was only eligible for 600 euros. They would not compensate me for the London to Manchester flight. They referred to EU regulation 261. I couldn't see anything in the regulation that said I wasn't eligible for compensation for the connecting flight.

They've refunded £50 towards the taxi fare but refused to refund the train admin fee.

Can someone point me to the part of the regulation where it says I can't be compensated for a connecting flight, please?

Thanks.

Best regards,

Robert.
    • Vauban
    • By Vauban 4th Jul 17, 8:04 AM
    • 4,687 Posts
    • 2,076 Thanks
    Vauban
    I flew from Singapore to Manchester via London last month.

The first flight from Singapore to London was delayed twelve hours. The connecting flight I was due to take in the morning was cancelled and I was put on a flight in the evening.

Because I would arrive too late into Manchester to take a train home, I had to cancel my booked train ticket and catch a taxi home.

I claimed compensation for the two flights, the one from Singapore to London and the one from London to Manchester. I also claimed a refund for the taxi and for the admin fee that the train company charged me when I cancelled the train ticket.

BA said that because my final destination was Manchester, and that my arrival there was delayed by more than three hours, I was only eligible for 600 euros. They would not compensate me for the London to Manchester flight. They referred to EU regulation 261. I couldn't see anything in the regulation that said I wasn't eligible for compensation for the connecting flight.

They've refunded £50 towards the taxi fare but refused to refund the train admin fee.

Can someone point me to the part of the regulation where it says I can't be compensated for a connecting flight, please?

Thanks.

Best regards,

Robert.
    Originally posted by No_Bob
    I'm afraid BA are right - assuming you had booked a through ticket, Singapore to Manchester on one fare. The Regulation and subsequent case law focuses on the delay to your arrival at your "final destination" not intermediary stops.

If you bought two separate flights, you would have had an additional claim for 250€ - assuming the Manchester flight was in fact delayed, and you didn't just miss it because of your incoming delay.

Airlines are not responsible for consequential losses under the Regulation - so to get £50 in addition to 600€ is not a bad result IMHO.
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 4th Jul 17, 8:47 AM
    • 1,055 Posts
    • 526 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Vauban is right as usual, but if you also wanted to pursue the additional outstanding costs you could do that via CEDR, the ADR provider for BA.

I suppose it depends upon how much you feel BA have short changed you.

Good luck.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 4th Jul 17, 9:15 AM
    • 3,151 Posts
    • 885 Thanks
    JPears
    However this is a case where the airlines are having it both ways and the regualtion needs clarification.
    If the second leg London to Manchester had been delayed, you could bet your bottom dollar that BA would have argued that only Euro250 payble as the first leg didn't count. Or am I being cynical?

• CptSupermarket
    • By CptSupermarket 5th Jul 17, 11:46 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    CptSupermarket
    Hi All,

Just though i would add my experience here. I flew to new york in may 2016 and was delayed over 4 hours at jfk prior to disembarking (basically the plane sat in a queue of planes after landing). The reason given was that the airport was using a new system which had gone down. I applied to BA for compensation via resolver when i got back to UK a week later and over the next few months went through all options with BA who were saying i wasn't entitled to compensation as the delay was not their fault.

I assumed i would get nothing once i'd been as far as i could with BA until recently i received an email from resolver which jogged my mind about the case. I then found out about CEDR, applied to CEDR and sent them all the detail of my case and within 3 weeks CEDR had accepted case, reviewed, contacted BA and i received an offer of 600 euros each for myself, partner and daughter. Suffice to say i have accepted just awaiting payment.

So in short don't give up if airline says no!
    Last edited by CptSupermarket; 05-07-2017 at 11:49 AM.
    • strawberries1
    • By strawberries1 5th Jul 17, 12:20 PM
    • 630 Posts
    • 136 Thanks
    strawberries1
    Not sure if this is the right thread. I booked with AER but flew BA.

My BA flight out of LHR to DUB was delayed which resulted in missing my United flight out of DUB to IAD. I had to take two more flights and eventually arrived BWI at 22.31hrs instead of IAD at 15.25hrs. I had to pay for late night transportation to take me from BWI to DC. $130 (£100)

I arrived 7hours later than scheduled and at a different airport. I spent another hour looking for my luggage. I flew 3 planes to get there instead of 2. I fell ill while waiting for my 3rd flight out of stress mostly.

My luggage didn't arrive for another 4days. It was slightly damaged and the last carrier JetBlue were kind and refunded toiletries and clothing expenditure I had to make in the meantime.

Do I complain to BA who operated the flight or to AER who I booked with?

Do I claim compensation and a refund?

Shall I use Resolver? If not how do I do so myself?

Thank you.
    • No_Bob
    • By No_Bob 5th Jul 17, 4:16 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    No_Bob
    Thanks Vauban, Tyzap. JPears, I think they'd probably try it on at least...
    • Becust
    • By Becust 7th Jul 17, 1:34 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Becust
    I have just received an email from BA denying compensation for a flight cancelled because of the IT blunder. We were supposed to fly BA to Madrid and them Iberia.

BA has emailed telling us go ask Iberia for compensation. It's so bad!

Anyone else having the same problem? BA denying compensation for the cancellations during the IT caos?
    Last edited by Becust; 07-07-2017 at 1:36 PM.
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 7th Jul 17, 1:51 PM
    • 995 Posts
    • 423 Thanks
    Justice13075
    If you were due to fly with Iberia BA are correct, you claim from the airline who actually operate the flight.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,648Posts Today

8,399Users online

Martin's Twitter