Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 395
    • legal magpie
    • By legal magpie 6th Oct 16, 3:03 PM
    • 611 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    legal magpie
    Agreed. If the Court gives judgment in foreign currency, it is converted to sterling at the time of payment not at the date of the flight. This worked against the consumer when the Euro had slumped but is now reversed
    • panda_jamie
    • By panda_jamie 6th Oct 16, 3:10 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    panda_jamie
    MCOL - more than one passenger
    Really sorry i have one more question. I am completing MCOL. I was the lead passenger. I am claiming for myself and my mother. Can i do this online or do i have to use a paper version?
    I have read Vaubans Guide and can't find an answer! Sole legal sites say i can't do this online as it is more than one claimant.
    Any experience anyone?
    Thanks
    • legal magpie
    • By legal magpie 6th Oct 16, 6:00 PM
    • 611 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    legal magpie
    Unless there's been a change you can't use MCOL for more than one claimant so if you are going to have two claimants in the same case you will need to use the non MCOL route
    • classrunner
    • By classrunner 11th Oct 16, 9:50 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    classrunner
    Help required. We were due to fly from parga - home on the 9/10/16. We were advised around 18.00 on 08/10 that due to a greek air strike our flight was cancelled. However, the strike did not go ahead. We were advised that Thomsons were unable to reinstate the flight for the original time even though it was not due to go for another 24 hours. Would we be able to claim compensation, thomsons were rubbish from start to finish.
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 11th Oct 16, 10:12 PM
    • 638 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Help required. We were due to fly from parga - home on the 9/10/16. We were advised around 18.00 on 08/10 that due to a greek air strike our flight was cancelled. However, the strike did not go ahead. We were advised that Thomsons were unable to reinstate the flight for the original time even though it was not due to go for another 24 hours. Would we be able to claim compensation, thomsons were rubbish from start to finish.
    Originally posted by classrunner
    Hi,

If, as you suggest, the strike was called off 24hrs prior to your flight l believe you would have a good case. If, however, it was only 2 or 4 hours for example, it may be difficult to claim.

If they had enough notice of the strike being called off to re arrange your flight then you would have a valid claim.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide.
    • ryan.r
    • By ryan.r 13th Oct 16, 1:05 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ryan.r
    Thomson 24 hour delay
    Hi,

I just submitted a claim through CEDR for a 24 hour delay I was on from Rhodes to Birmingham in May 2016. Have claimed by sending letter using the MSE template and had no response from Thomson (apart from automated response saying they'll respond within 56 days), chased it with them a few times and they just say we will get back to you and I never hear back. It's been 4 months since my claim so thought I'd try the CEDR option..

Is this method usually successful for most people?
    The flight was delayed due to a technical fault and they had to fly out an engineer from UK so I believe I have a valid claim?

Thanks!
    • legal magpie
    • By legal magpie 13th Oct 16, 1:50 PM
    • 611 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    legal magpie
    Thomson will take as long as you allow them. So far you've given them 4 months. You can certainly use the CEDR option but from what you say you seem to have a strong case so I would send a final NBA letter pointing out how much time they've had already and giving them 14 days to pay up or else you'll sue. If they don't comply, then sue them
    • CarlosR
    • By CarlosR 13th Oct 16, 4:56 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    CarlosR
    Same Flight Same Delay in Sep 2016
    I was on a returning flight from Rhodes to Birmingham in September 2016 as well and the flight was delayed for 24 Hours due to a malfunctioning fuel switch on one of the engines and the plane wouldn’t start.

I submitted a complaint on Resolver the day after I returned (19th September) and I haven’t even had a generic response saying we are looking into this for you - It says on Resolver I can escalate the case to Carl Gissing the Customer Service Manager in 1 Month Time........any help would be appreciated please!
    Last edited by CarlosR; 13-10-2016 at 5:27 PM.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 13th Oct 16, 5:00 PM
    • 2,582 Posts
    • 728 Thanks
    JPears
    Read Vauban's most excellent guide. (google it)
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • ryan.r
    • By ryan.r 14th Oct 16, 8:11 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ryan.r
    I was on a returning flight from Rhodes to Birmingham in September 2016 as well and the flight was delayed for 24 Hours due to a malfunctioning fuel switch on one of the engines and the plane wouldn’t start.

I submitted a complaint on Resolver the day after I returned (19th September) and I haven’t even had a generic response saying we are looking into this for you - It says on Resolver I can escalate the case to Carl Gissing the Customer Service Manager in 1 Month Time........any help would be appreciated please!
    I didn't use Resolver but sent them a letter and got an email response within a few weeks but just a generic response saying they would respond to the case within 56 days, and gave us a case reference number. Of course they haven't responded at all so far 120 days later!
    • 111KAB
    • By 111KAB 14th Oct 16, 8:35 AM
    • 3,517 Posts
    • 1,418 Thanks
    111KAB
    I didn't use Resolver but sent them a letter and got an email response within a few weeks but just a generic response saying they would respond to the case within 56 days, and gave us a case reference number. Of course they haven't responded at all so far 120 days later!
    Originally posted by ryan.r

Vauban's Guide is your friend for a speedy resolution and a credit in your bank account.
    • wayneyb
    • By wayneyb 18th Oct 16, 5:48 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    wayneyb
    Hi, just after some advice please.

My family had a 10-hour delay on a Thomson flight back from Ibiza to Manchester in June 2010. We were told at the time this was because of a fire in the control tower at Manchester airport.

This is the first time I have looked into the flight delay compensation process. Would this be a valid reason to be able to claim as technically its not the airlines fault is it?

However while using a flight checker site a lot of planes were delayed from ibiza to manchester but none suffered anywhere close to the length of delay we had.

Our flight was meant to leave ibiza at 4:30 am but we did not get back to Manchester until around teatime.

Is it worth still putting a claim in?

Thankyou in advance
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 18th Oct 16, 6:02 PM
    • 638 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Hi, just after some advice please.

My family had a 10-hour delay on a Thomson flight back from Ibiza to Manchester in June 2010. We were told at the time this was because of a fire in the control tower at Manchester airport.

This is the first time I have looked into the flight delay compensation process. Would this be a valid reason to be able to claim as technically its not the airlines fault is it?

However while using a flight checker site a lot of planes were delayed from ibiza to manchester but none suffered anywhere close to the length of delay we had.

Our flight was meant to leave ibiza at 4:30 am but we did not get back to Manchester until around teatime.

Is it worth still putting a claim in?

Thankyou in advance
    Originally posted by wayneyb
    Sorry but you're out of time to claim, 6 years is the limit in England, Wales and NI.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide.
    • wrightyboy
    • By wrightyboy 20th Oct 16, 5:32 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    wrightyboy
    After some advice. Was on Tom4127 from Gran Canaries to Gatwick on 8th August 2016. Due to depart 13.20, but didn't leave until 7.04 the next morning, was due to a sensor problem when we got on the plane. Sent claim to Thomson, according to them it is with the European Commission and awaiting there decision, how long will this take?
    • 111KAB
    • By 111KAB 20th Oct 16, 5:57 PM
    • 3,517 Posts
    • 1,418 Thanks
    111KAB
    There is nothing with the European Commission! Sounds like Thomson are fobbing you off or making you wait until Brexit is actioned. They owe you the money NOW - I'd give them another 14 days to cough up.
    • wrightyboy
    • By wrightyboy 20th Oct 16, 6:06 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    wrightyboy
    Fuming. They said as it and EC law, it has to go to them and they decide whether the pay out is made. She said Thomson don't make the decision. Sounded like a lie at the time.
    • 111KAB
    • By 111KAB 20th Oct 16, 6:19 PM
    • 3,517 Posts
    • 1,418 Thanks
    111KAB
    Vauban's Guide for you - it's a good read! - Then go for the jugular.
    • panda_jamie
    • By panda_jamie 21st Oct 16, 10:07 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    panda_jamie
    court action
    Hello. I have filed court action through MCOL for a delayed flight from Santorini in July 2016 - flight was delayed over 21 hours apparently due to two different technical faults. Thomson have issued an acknowledgement of service and have ticked the box saying they aare going to defend the entire claim. I realise they have 28 days to file a defence but just wondered if others have had similar experience. Is this just another Thomson delaying tactic? Many thanks
    • legal magpie
    • By legal magpie 21st Oct 16, 12:31 PM
    • 611 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    legal magpie
    Panda, this is normal practice because it gives them an extra 14 days. Just watch the calendar and if they haven't filed their defence in time, enter judgment. If they do, press on with the claim.
    • ann7313
    • By ann7313 23rd Oct 16, 11:36 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    ann7313
    Email
    Dear all

I posted on the main forum but just to let you know that I was due to go to court last Thursday and Thomson agreed to settle out of court for a delay from 2010. Thomson agreed 400 euros each (2 of us) and court costs. My ex-husband is a barrister and he did the claim for me and I am happy to email anyone a copy (it quite lengthy).

This was despite Thomson saying it was 'extraordinary' circumstances (it wasn't) and lying over the distance from Manchester to Palma (to try and get the lower amount). My case was put on hold in 2010 but I didn't give up!

Kerrie
    Originally posted by droylie
    Can you email the letter please Thomson are ignoring the ruling from CEDR to pay us compensation.

Thanks
    Last edited by ann7313; 23-10-2016 at 6:57 PM. Reason: email address
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,733Posts Today

6,342Users online

Martin's Twitter