Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 401
    • bensmart433
    • By bensmart433 22nd Sep 17, 8:23 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    bensmart433
    Sorry for double post, but also they told us it was a 10 minute technical issue that needed fixing, but severe weather delayed the flight by a few hours. Due to this, the crew exceeded their hours and couldn't fly back. Any ideas on whether this will be successful?
    • Vauban
    • By Vauban 22nd Sep 17, 8:43 AM
    • 4,689 Posts
    • 2,079 Thanks
    Vauban
    No idea at all - if weather affected your flight directly, causing the majority of the delay, then you may have a problem. If the weather didn't affect your flight directly, or only accounted for a small delay which nevertheless put the crew over hours, your claim would be much stronger.

You've done the right thing passing this to CEDE so let's just wait and see what they say.
    • jaggerc1
    • By jaggerc1 25th Sep 17, 12:41 PM
    • 96 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    jaggerc1
    Cayman Islands
    Hi,

A friend of mine (2 passengers) were due to fly back from the Cayman Islands via Miami to Manchester on 10th September but got back a week later.

Thomas Cook were very poor with informing them and they've since had a phone bill for £216.

They were offered £500 e voucher.

Any help is help would be appreciated.
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 25th Sep 17, 2:11 PM
    • 1,060 Posts
    • 529 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Hi,

A friend of mine (2 passengers) were due to fly back from the Cayman Islands via Miami to Manchester on 10th September but got back a week later.

Thomas Cook were very poor with informing them and they've since had a phone bill for £216.

They were offered £500 e voucher.

Any help is help would be appreciated.
    Originally posted by jaggerc1
    Hi jaggerc1,

It's impossible to say from the information supplied.

I think this will be weather related and probably a very long story.

The best place to start would be to ask your friend/s to put their flight details into a couple of the on-line flight calculators, such as Bott & Co or many others.

This will give them an indication of whether they have a valid claim.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide.
    • Becciboo1981
    • By Becciboo1981 27th Sep 17, 6:55 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Becciboo1981
    Unpaid Compensation
    Had a delayed flight (12 hours) coming back to Stansted from Zante in August with Thomas Cook Airlines. Complained via their online form which was easy enough. Got an email fairly quickly back saying I was entitled to compensation and they'd initiated a BACS payment of £1500 into my account and I should receive it within 10 days. The 10 days came and went so I rang and they said that that timescale had been a mistake and it should have said 28 days. I was annoyed but thought ok. Now 28 days has come and gone, I've rung again and they aren't in the least bit bothered. They tell me there is nothing wrong on their end, we've checked the a/c number and sort code and that's right and just to wait. Does this mean they have an infinite amount of time to pay me? Not sure what my next step is? Any help would be appreciated.
    • Mrs_Tee
    • By Mrs_Tee 3rd Oct 17, 10:28 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mrs_Tee
    My parents are claiming for flight delay compensation and are using the Resolver tool as recommended on this site. Below is their claim to TC and then TC's reply:

Dear customer services team,

I am writing regarding a delayed/cancelled Thomas Cook Airlines flight.

The judgement of the Court of Justice of the European Union in Tui & others v CAA confirmed the applicability of compensation, as set out in the Sturgeon case. As such, I am seeking compensation under EC Regulation 261/2004 for this flight. The details are as follows:

Booking reference:
    Existing complaint reference:
    Flight number: MT1924
    Departure airport: Manchester International Airport, MAN
    Scheduled departure time: Wed 2/08/17 6:20
    Arrival airport: Bourgas Airport, BOJ

Number of passengers: 2
    Other passenger names:

Based on the above details, I am seeking the fixed compensation as specified in EC 261/2004.

A drink of water was provided and the offer of 1 free extra drink. No food was offered.

I look forward to a full response to this letter within 14 days. If I do not receive a satisfactory response I intend to pursue my complaint further, which could mean taking it to court.

Yours faithfully

Reply:

Dear Mr,

Thanks for being patient while we looked into your recent enquiry about your flight with us.

I've now completed the review of your claim. The aviation report shows it was caused by a bird strike to the aircraft which should have been operating your flight. This means that under EC Regulation 261/2004, the delay will still be classed as extraordinary circumstances and I'm not able to offer compensation for your claim.

We work hard to make sure your flight is on time and I'm really sorry you were delayed. Thanks for taking the time to get in touch. We hope we'll be able to welcome you back on a flight with us soon.

Thank you once again for contacting us and if I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to ask.

We countered this with the knowledge that the birdstrike affected the 2nd plane and not the original that had a fault:

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am writing to complain about an issue with Flights - MT1924 departure UK at Thomas Cook Airlines. I have contacted your customer services team with my complaint, but am dissatisfied with the response I've received so far. This is because the primary fault was with the first aircraft which was unaffected by bird strike. The first aircraft presented with a mechanical fault, it was the subsequent second aircraft that was to replace the latter that was affected by bird strike, therefore I believe that this claim for compensation is valid.

As I am sure you understand, the situation as it stands is very frustrating and I would be really grateful if we could move forwards towards a solution.

Yours sincerely,

This email was sent on the 30th August and we have heard nothing in reply. Are we right to pursue this?

TIA
    • Mrs_Tee
    • By Mrs_Tee 3rd Oct 17, 11:45 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mrs_Tee
    Hi
    Flight was
    MT 1925
    Bourgas to Manchester ( 13.00)

The bird damage was on the 2nd plane

Thanks
    Originally posted by BlueMac
    My parents were on the opposite flight to yours and we are in the process of making a compensation claim. Did you have any luck?
    • Mrs_Tee
    • By Mrs_Tee 5th Oct 17, 9:18 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mrs_Tee
    Resolver gave us the option to escalate today and we have done so
    • bevlang56
    • By bevlang56 18th Oct 17, 3:37 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    bevlang56
    Cuba
    I husband and I went to Cuba with tc ,from Manchester on 7th Dec 2016, We were delayed 4hrs ,due to a technical fault, We had to board a different aircraft and wait for new flight crew, We were due to fly at 10.25am, they gave us refreshment cards with £7 each ,and told to keep hold of them in case needed later,we eventually took off at 2.30pm, we didn’t arrive till 7.30 pm at Cayo Coco,in the dark,it should have been 3.30 pm ,Having gone to a couple of flight delay company’s, Tc are denying the Delay was that long stating it was only 2hrs 59mins .they told the last company they had evidence ,I complained to the company,that tc were frauding ,they said they judged my morality lying about Tc . The cedr also believed Tc, How to go about getting somewhere ,it’s the principle ,I would definitely not lie ,I would stand in court to defend my claim
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 18th Oct 17, 3:51 PM
    • 1,060 Posts
    • 529 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Hi Bev,

It's the delay time at arrival that counts, not the departure time, also, if the flight is over 3 hours but under 4 hours late, the compensation is halved. That makes your arrival time critical in this case.

I'll see if I can find out about the arrival time.

Good luck.
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 18th Oct 17, 5:07 PM
    • 1,060 Posts
    • 529 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Hi Bev,

I can see that your flight departed MAN at 14.35, which is 4.05 late, just as you say.

Unfortunately the radar coverage at destination is not good and I could not see the exact arrival time. However, the flight usually take 9.35hrs so, again, that matches your details and the only question is, was the flight over 4 hours late, to be able to claim the higher compensation rate of €600 each.

To check this I input your flight details into the Bott & Co flight delay calculator and it confirms that you are due €600 each, so your delay must have been just over the 4 hour mark.

As this claim has obviously been problematic, for whatever reasons, I would be tempted to go with Botts, as they are solicitors and not an unregulated claims company. The other option would be the small claims court via MCOL.

Good luck.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,192Posts Today

7,471Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin