Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 401
    • bensmart433
    • By bensmart433 22nd Sep 17, 8:23 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    bensmart433
    Sorry for double post, but also they told us it was a 10 minute technical issue that needed fixing, but severe weather delayed the flight by a few hours. Due to this, the crew exceeded their hours and couldn't fly back. Any ideas on whether this will be successful?
    • Vauban
    • By Vauban 22nd Sep 17, 8:43 AM
    • 4,712 Posts
    • 2,087 Thanks
    Vauban
    No idea at all - if weather affected your flight directly, causing the majority of the delay, then you may have a problem. If the weather didn't affect your flight directly, or only accounted for a small delay which nevertheless put the crew over hours, your claim would be much stronger.

You've done the right thing passing this to CEDE so let's just wait and see what they say.
    • jaggerc1
    • By jaggerc1 25th Sep 17, 12:41 PM
    • 96 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    jaggerc1
    Cayman Islands
    Hi,

A friend of mine (2 passengers) were due to fly back from the Cayman Islands via Miami to Manchester on 10th September but got back a week later.

Thomas Cook were very poor with informing them and they've since had a phone bill for £216.

They were offered £500 e voucher.

Any help is help would be appreciated.
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 25th Sep 17, 2:11 PM
    • 1,173 Posts
    • 562 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Hi,

A friend of mine (2 passengers) were due to fly back from the Cayman Islands via Miami to Manchester on 10th September but got back a week later.

Thomas Cook were very poor with informing them and they've since had a phone bill for £216.

They were offered £500 e voucher.

Any help is help would be appreciated.
    Originally posted by jaggerc1
    Hi jaggerc1,

It's impossible to say from the information supplied.

I think this will be weather related and probably a very long story.

The best place to start would be to ask your friend/s to put their flight details into a couple of the on-line flight calculators, such as Bott & Co or many others.

This will give them an indication of whether they have a valid claim.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide.
    • Becciboo1981
    • By Becciboo1981 27th Sep 17, 6:55 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Becciboo1981
    Unpaid Compensation
    Had a delayed flight (12 hours) coming back to Stansted from Zante in August with Thomas Cook Airlines. Complained via their online form which was easy enough. Got an email fairly quickly back saying I was entitled to compensation and they'd initiated a BACS payment of £1500 into my account and I should receive it within 10 days. The 10 days came and went so I rang and they said that that timescale had been a mistake and it should have said 28 days. I was annoyed but thought ok. Now 28 days has come and gone, I've rung again and they aren't in the least bit bothered. They tell me there is nothing wrong on their end, we've checked the a/c number and sort code and that's right and just to wait. Does this mean they have an infinite amount of time to pay me? Not sure what my next step is? Any help would be appreciated.
    • Mrs_Tee
    • By Mrs_Tee 3rd Oct 17, 10:28 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mrs_Tee
    My parents are claiming for flight delay compensation and are using the Resolver tool as recommended on this site. Below is their claim to TC and then TC's reply:

Dear customer services team,

I am writing regarding a delayed/cancelled Thomas Cook Airlines flight.

The judgement of the Court of Justice of the European Union in Tui & others v CAA confirmed the applicability of compensation, as set out in the Sturgeon case. As such, I am seeking compensation under EC Regulation 261/2004 for this flight. The details are as follows:

Booking reference:
    Existing complaint reference:
    Flight number: MT1924
    Departure airport: Manchester International Airport, MAN
    Scheduled departure time: Wed 2/08/17 6:20
    Arrival airport: Bourgas Airport, BOJ

Number of passengers: 2
    Other passenger names:

Based on the above details, I am seeking the fixed compensation as specified in EC 261/2004.

A drink of water was provided and the offer of 1 free extra drink. No food was offered.

I look forward to a full response to this letter within 14 days. If I do not receive a satisfactory response I intend to pursue my complaint further, which could mean taking it to court.

Yours faithfully

Reply:

Dear Mr,

Thanks for being patient while we looked into your recent enquiry about your flight with us.

I've now completed the review of your claim. The aviation report shows it was caused by a bird strike to the aircraft which should have been operating your flight. This means that under EC Regulation 261/2004, the delay will still be classed as extraordinary circumstances and I'm not able to offer compensation for your claim.

We work hard to make sure your flight is on time and I'm really sorry you were delayed. Thanks for taking the time to get in touch. We hope we'll be able to welcome you back on a flight with us soon.

Thank you once again for contacting us and if I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to ask.

We countered this with the knowledge that the birdstrike affected the 2nd plane and not the original that had a fault:

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am writing to complain about an issue with Flights - MT1924 departure UK at Thomas Cook Airlines. I have contacted your customer services team with my complaint, but am dissatisfied with the response I've received so far. This is because the primary fault was with the first aircraft which was unaffected by bird strike. The first aircraft presented with a mechanical fault, it was the subsequent second aircraft that was to replace the latter that was affected by bird strike, therefore I believe that this claim for compensation is valid.

As I am sure you understand, the situation as it stands is very frustrating and I would be really grateful if we could move forwards towards a solution.

Yours sincerely,

This email was sent on the 30th August and we have heard nothing in reply. Are we right to pursue this?

TIA
    • Mrs_Tee
    • By Mrs_Tee 3rd Oct 17, 11:45 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mrs_Tee
    Hi
    Flight was
    MT 1925
    Bourgas to Manchester ( 13.00)

The bird damage was on the 2nd plane

Thanks
    Originally posted by BlueMac
    My parents were on the opposite flight to yours and we are in the process of making a compensation claim. Did you have any luck?
    • Mrs_Tee
    • By Mrs_Tee 5th Oct 17, 9:18 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mrs_Tee
    Resolver gave us the option to escalate today and we have done so
    • Carsontom172
    • By Carsontom172 8th Oct 17, 2:12 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Carsontom172
    Tom172 Manchester to Cancun 13 Sept 2017
    Was anyone else on this flight? Over 5 hour delay.
    Applied for compensation but just got refused due to extraordinary circumstances, weather conditions and hurricane irma. I have replied asking them to prove their case and provide evidence re this and what reasonable measures they took.

Cheers
    • 111KAB
    • By 111KAB 8th Oct 17, 2:20 PM
    • 3,639 Posts
    • 1,479 Thanks
    111KAB
    Wrong thread > http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4384699
    • Carsontom172
    • By Carsontom172 8th Oct 17, 2:47 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Carsontom172
    Manchester to Cancun 13 Sept 2017
    Thanks, sorry new to this! Have posted on the link you provided.
    • bevlang56
    • By bevlang56 18th Oct 17, 3:37 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    bevlang56
    Cuba
    I husband and I went to Cuba with tc ,from Manchester on 7th Dec 2016, We were delayed 4hrs ,due to a technical fault, We had to board a different aircraft and wait for new flight crew, We were due to fly at 10.25am, they gave us refreshment cards with £7 each ,and told to keep hold of them in case needed later,we eventually took off at 2.30pm, we didnít arrive till 7.30 pm at Cayo Coco,in the dark,it should have been 3.30 pm ,Having gone to a couple of flight delay companyís, Tc are denying the Delay was that long stating it was only 2hrs 59mins .they told the last company they had evidence ,I complained to the company,that tc were frauding ,they said they judged my morality lying about Tc . The cedr also believed Tc, How to go about getting somewhere ,itís the principle ,I would definitely not lie ,I would stand in court to defend my claim
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 18th Oct 17, 3:51 PM
    • 1,173 Posts
    • 562 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Hi Bev,

It's the delay time at arrival that counts, not the departure time, also, if the flight is over 3 hours but under 4 hours late, the compensation is halved. That makes your arrival time critical in this case.

I'll see if I can find out about the arrival time.

Good luck.
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 18th Oct 17, 5:07 PM
    • 1,173 Posts
    • 562 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Hi Bev,

I can see that your flight departed MAN at 14.35, which is 4.05 late, just as you say.

Unfortunately the radar coverage at destination is not good and I could not see the exact arrival time. However, the flight usually take 9.35hrs so, again, that matches your details and the only question is, was the flight over 4 hours late, to be able to claim the higher compensation rate of €600 each.

To check this I input your flight details into the Bott & Co flight delay calculator and it confirms that you are due €600 each, so your delay must have been just over the 4 hour mark.

As this claim has obviously been problematic, for whatever reasons, I would be tempted to go with Botts, as they are solicitors and not an unregulated claims company. The other option would be the small claims court via MCOL.

Good luck.
    • tiddles93
    • By tiddles93 23rd Oct 17, 9:35 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    tiddles93
    Hi guys,
    Our flight MT2914 on 6th of October 2017 to Varadero was delayed by 4 hours 20 mins leaving Manchester due to a technical issue with our original aircraft and when a replacement aircraft arrived Thomas Cook discovered that the catering trolley's from the original aircraft wouldn't fit so had to be returned to the catering supplier and repacked.
    I have 2 issues, firstly despite numerous requests from pax in the departure lounge for refreshments that Thomas Cook are bound to supply under EU261 duty of care, none were supplied.
    Secondly the captain clawed back some time on the flight, the was scheduled to land in Varadero at 15-30, it did touch down at 19-23, however the doors were not opened on stand until 19-31, the 1st passenger off the flight was at 19-33 therefore 600 euros is due under EU261, Thomas Cook have emailed me saying I'm only entitled to 300 euros and it will be paid into my account in 10 days.
    I have emailed them with my concerns but have not recieved a reply.
    Thoughts?
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 23rd Oct 17, 9:55 PM
    • 1,173 Posts
    • 562 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Hi guys,
    Our flight MT2914 on 6th of October 2017 to Varadero was delayed by 4 hours 20 mins leaving Manchester due to a technical issue with our original aircraft and when a replacement aircraft arrived Thomas Cook discovered that the catering trolley's from the original aircraft wouldn't fit so had to be returned to the catering supplier and repacked.
    I have 2 issues, firstly despite numerous requests from pax in the departure lounge for refreshments that Thomas Cook are bound to supply under EU261 duty of care, none were supplied.
    Secondly the captain clawed back some time on the flight, the was scheduled to land in Varadero at 15-30, it did touch down at 19-23, however the doors were not opened on stand until 19-31, the 1st passenger off the flight was at 19-33 therefore 600 euros is due under EU261, Thomas Cook have emailed me saying I'm only entitled to 300 euros and it will be paid into my account in 10 days.
    I have emailed them with my concerns but have not recieved a reply.
    Thoughts?
    Originally posted by tiddles93
    Hi tiddles93,

Looks like there is no dispute, apart from that one crucial minute. I would think they would put up a strong argument to defend their position on that.

You could risk £25 to have your claim passed to CEDR for their adjudication on the official time the door first was opened. It will have been recorded in TC's flight records and CEDR could ask for it to be presented as evidence.

Good luck.
    • tiddles93
    • By tiddles93 25th Oct 17, 12:16 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    tiddles93
    Appreciate the reply Tyzap, I'll update you if I hear anything from them.
    • efus
    • By efus 30th Oct 17, 5:23 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    efus
    Delayed TC Flight
    Hi All, Was on MT1006 on 25/10/17, Manchester to Banjul. Check in was slow and long, arrived at check in at 03.05 finally reached the counter at 04.35. I believe the flight was full, and lots of people were checking in extra luggage. One passenger didn't have hold luggage pre paid, so TC charged her £314 for two cases. After a quick rush through security, flight was boarded at about 05.40. Departure time was officially 06.00 but we didn't depart Manchester till 09.38.After about an hour pilot announced of a delay as the aircraft was too heavy. After a further wait he announced that up to 48 bags would have to be unloaded. When passengers complained that they had medication, he announced that he was awaiting instructions from TC flight management as to a solution. At 9am a cup of water was offered to all passengers. Pilot then announced that to avoid further delay we would be taking off with all luggage but diverting to Dakar for refuleing.Landed at Dakar about 6hrs later, a promised 30 minutes stopover was over an hour, as the airport refused to refule the aircraft untill cleared funds were in their a/c. I understand that this is not an airport that TC normally used. A short flight later we landed Banjul 16.27 (1hr behind UK ) as apposed to our schedule time that should have been 11.25 Gambian time. O we did get a free drink and a hot meal after we left Manchester. Have used Resolver to claim flight delay compo. But I'm sure TC will try to get out of it. They have sent the standard email to say they have 28days to look into it but will try to respond within 21 days.Have taken screenshot of flight radar showing all takeoff/landing times. Anything else I can do to put forward a strong case? Your thoughts advice on this would be greatfully received. Thanks in advance for replys.
    Last edited by efus; 30-10-2017 at 5:52 PM.
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 30th Oct 17, 5:30 PM
    • 10,865 Posts
    • 7,093 Thanks
    Caz3121
    duplicate post
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 30th Oct 17, 6:27 PM
    • 1,173 Posts
    • 562 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Hi All, Was on MT1006 on 25/10/17, Manchester to Banjul. Anything else I can do to put forward a strong case? Your thoughts advice on this would be greatfully received. Thanks in advance for replys.
    Originally posted by efus
    Hi efus,

I don't think there is much more you can do at this stage of proceeding. Your case seems to be pretty clear cut and will be very hard for them to defend, if not impossible.

Once you have a reply from them all will become clear. Keep your powder dry till then.

Good luck.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,700Posts Today

7,599Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin