Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 397
    • dwrath
    • By dwrath 22nd Jun 17, 11:54 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    dwrath
    Hi was anyone on the flight from Manchester to Bodrum on 29/05/2017 or 30/05/2017 Bodrum to Manchester
    Has anyone secured a compensation claim?
    Last edited by dwrath; 22-06-2017 at 11:55 PM. Reason: More info
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 23rd Jun 17, 10:11 AM
    • 984 Posts
    • 496 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Hi was anyone on the flight from Manchester to Bodrum on 29/05/2017 or 30/05/2017 Bodrum to Manchester
    Has anyone secured a compensation claim?
    Originally posted by dwrath
    TC don't work that quickly, claims are dealt with v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y...

If you need help with your claim post the details here.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide.
    • CJGREEN
    • By CJGREEN 28th Jun 17, 11:58 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    CJGREEN
    Quick run down of whats happened:

Turned up for MAN-LCA flight 04/06 to be told it was "canceled" due to a technical fault (have a letter noting this).

Manchester "One Love" concert on, TC staff behind desk struggling to sort hotels advises us "Book your own and you can claim it all back. Any expenses from now until you arrive at your destination is claimable".

We booked an Uber and said hotel. Paid for a taxi, hotel, food, drink, taxi back, replacement flights with Jet2 (10 am flight, not 2 pm as TC arranged flight).

We needed to be in Cyprus min. 3 days due to being married on 08/06 and had already got meetings booked for 05/06.

Put a claim through Resolver, still no response but after a telephone call today they have offered:

£350/400e each passenger compensation
    Fee for Uber
    Fee for hotel

They are refusing at this stage to cover any additional costs such as food, drink, replacement flights, taxis instead of transfers at LCA end. We had booked security fast pass, escape lounge which couldn't use. I have receipts for everything.

Any advice?
    • JPears
    • By JPears 28th Jun 17, 12:29 PM
    • 3,079 Posts
    • 867 Thanks
    JPears
    Did they actually re-book your flight or aarange a new flight for you?
    If not, did you get a refund of the flights you din't take?
    You can claim reasonable food/drink cost (non alcoholic)
    Maybe contact relevant companies about the lounge and fastrack?
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • CJGREEN
    • By CJGREEN 28th Jun 17, 1:05 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    CJGREEN
    They said the next flight is 2pm day after ours was cancelled. I asked at the desk if I pay for my own replacement flight, can I claim or get a refund for the original and I was told yes.

All they have offered (in writing, via email) is compensation under EU law + taxi + hotel. Nothing else.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 28th Jun 17, 1:08 PM
    • 3,079 Posts
    • 867 Thanks
    JPears
    You should get refund of your unused flight too.
    You need to start getting stern.
    Download Vauban's guide.
    Resubmit your total claim for expenses/refund.
    Keep your reg 261/2004 compensation claim seperate.
    Then send your NBAs if they fail to pay up.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • CJGREEN
    • By CJGREEN 28th Jun 17, 1:18 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    CJGREEN
    Great thanks for the swift reply
    • Ashers92
    • By Ashers92 8th Jul 17, 11:54 AM
    • 81 Posts
    • 155 Thanks
    Ashers92
    Bit of an update on my case (London Gatwick to Antalya Int. 22/10/13 TCX1712)

Having sent off my initial complaint letter to get things rolling on June 20th, I was pleasantly surprised this morning to open a letter from TC, stating I am due to compensation under 261/2004 with the offer of a voucher for £355, equal to the €400 entitlement.

So now I just need to reply, explain I'm entitled to a cash payment by law, thank you for the voucher offer etc etc. but please send me a cheque of the same value paid to me.

Anything I would need to add? Should I return the voucher? (But keep a copy)
    Is BACS payment a possibility by including account details?
    #157 - Save £12k in 2016: £12000 / £12000
    House deposit saving mode active: £19890 / £40000
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 8th Jul 17, 12:04 PM
    • 984 Posts
    • 496 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Ashers92,

Yes, they must give you cash if you request it. I would just ignore the voucher. They will probably ask you for your bank details so you may speed things up a little by preempting them.
    • Vauban
    • By Vauban 8th Jul 17, 12:12 PM
    • 4,671 Posts
    • 2,071 Thanks
    Vauban
    Ashers92,

Yes, they must give you cash if you request it. I would just ignore the voucher. They will probably ask you for your bank details so you may speed things up a little by preempting them.
    Originally posted by Tyzap
    I wonder how many people accept the voucher without them realizing they can have cash? A really shady practice if airlines are still doing that - and a disgrace that the CAA are not on top of it.
    • Ashers92
    • By Ashers92 8th Jul 17, 12:15 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 155 Thanks
    Ashers92
    Ashers92,

I'll get a reply written up and sent off asap, including payment details.
    Thanks
    #157 - Save £12k in 2016: £12000 / £12000
    House deposit saving mode active: £19890 / £40000
    • sezla9
    • By sezla9 15th Jul 17, 9:40 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sezla9
    Compensation timescales? Thomas Cook cut-and-dry claim (MT2824)
    We were on delayed flight MT2824 (MAN->LAX) on 12 July (technical problems: fire risk). We boarded an alternative flight the following day and all passengers were offered hotels and food. We received the Flight Disruption Leaflet and the compensation letter.

After entering the claim into thomascook.com/customerrelations, does anyone know how long we should expect to wait to receive the compensation?

Thanks all!
    • legal magpie
    • By legal magpie 15th Jul 17, 10:20 PM
    • 730 Posts
    • 346 Thanks
    legal magpie
    They should publish an estimated time but you don't have to wait so if it is a few weeks ahead. In any even some companies are happy to drag their feet for as long as you'll let them. Download Vauban's guide. Personally I wouldn't think 4 weeks from Claim to payment would be excessive.
    • DIYBaldyman
    • By DIYBaldyman 19th Jul 17, 10:13 AM
    • 96 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    DIYBaldyman
    TCX519 - Hurghada to Gatwick, 18/07/17.
    Morning All, long time no speak!!

I have news of a possible new claim developing & am still waiting for more news - any opinions & advice in the meantime would be greatly appreciated.

My son & his girlfriend were due to return home from Hurghada, Egypt to LGW last night / this morning - Thomas Cook Airlines Flight TCX519, scheduled departure 21:10, arrival 01:40.

They were initially advised of a 2 hour delay at around 17:00 yesterday evening before they were collected from their hotel, at around 19:00 this was increased to 4 hours. (Bear in mind that they had vacated their room 9 hours previously at 10:00 am yesterday morning).

The "official" times are currently published as the "actual" departure at 01:17 & the expected arrival being 05:35 - a 3 hours 55 minutes delay.

Now is where it gets interesting;

After boarding the plane & being pushed back (01:30 - 4 hours 20 minutes behind schedule - I'd previously messaged & said to keep an accurate log of actual times), they noticed a burning smell, followed by the cabin starting to fill with smoke which then led to an emergency evacuation of the aircraft on the taxi-way.

Passengers were eventually taken back to various hotels (obviously without luggage) & were told to meet at reception at 10:30 this morning for an update (09:30 BST). They have just been advised that their new flight time is 20:00 this evening & have been left in a hotel (they have their room until their collection time of 17:00) with no change of clothes, no toiletries, in fact none of their luggage at all.

Here's the dilemma - if the fire / smoke incident on the aircraft turns out to be e.c., will the cause of the initial delay count for anything at all & are they likely to have a valid EU/261 claim?

Thanks in advance.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    SUCCESS THROUGH PERSEVERANCE. Vauban's Guide has been of immense help - please read it before posting questions - I'll be surprised if your answers aren't in there.

April 2016 - successfully claimed €1600 from Thomas Cook for 6 hour delay in August 2015
    • Letdown69
    • By Letdown69 19th Jul 17, 10:32 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Letdown69
    Greetings DIYBaldyman from sunny Hurghada

I was also on the flight and there are a couple of point that your man on the ground has wrong.
    Push back was 1:17 I checked as i had been watching the incoming flight and this was the given time for it which surprised me when they achieved it.
    The plane was on the runway not the taxi way when it was evacuated.
    People were given the option of getting toiletries etc by TC staff (not sure if this has happened yet to be fair).

Interested about the compensation side of things as my initial thought was that the evacuation would change the attitude of TCA.

We stayed at the airport and were allowed to get on the plane and retrieve our hand luggage. A wonderful sight as we were made to lay it out on the apron where the plane ended up whilst the sniffer dogs were sent through it.

Plane was G-JMOG.

We'll see what this evening brings!
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 19th Jul 17, 10:57 AM
    • 984 Posts
    • 496 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Hello DIYBaldyman, welcome back.

It's extremely unlikely that this can be classed as an EC, it's just an ordinary technical fault for which the airline is responsible.

The time of departure doesn't matter, it's the late arrival time that counts. They will all be due 261 compensation by the sounds of it.

The airline is fully responsible for their 'duty of care', so replacement personal essentials, food, soft drinks, hotel, transport etc.

It's important that they keep receipts for anything they pay for themselves ready for claiming back at a later date.

Good luck.
    • DIYBaldyman
    • By DIYBaldyman 19th Jul 17, 11:01 AM
    • 96 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    DIYBaldyman
    Greetings DIYBaldyman from sunny Hurghada

I was also on the flight and there are a couple of point that your man on the ground has wrong.
    Push back was 1:17 I checked as i had been watching the incoming flight and this was the given time for it which surprised me when they achieved it.
    The plane was on the runway not the taxi way when it was evacuated.
    People were given the option of getting toiletries etc by TC staff (not sure if this has happened yet to be fair).
    Originally posted by Letdown69
    Thanks for the info, I imagine in the panic of the evacuation timings have got mixed up. Interesting that you say passengers were offered toiletries - he has definitely said they have nothing to freshen up, maybe the message didn't get passed to everyone. He has confirmed since that they have got their hand-luggage, but that he grabbed it during the evacuation rather than going back for it. Didn't mention sniffer dogs checking it either.

Stay safe & hope you all get back safely later tonight.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    SUCCESS THROUGH PERSEVERANCE. Vauban's Guide has been of immense help - please read it before posting questions - I'll be surprised if your answers aren't in there.

April 2016 - successfully claimed €1600 from Thomas Cook for 6 hour delay in August 2015
    • DIYBaldyman
    • By DIYBaldyman 19th Jul 17, 11:10 AM
    • 96 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    DIYBaldyman
    Hello DIYBaldyman, welcome back.

It's extremely unlikely that this can be classed as an EC, it's just an ordinary technical fault for which the airline is responsible.

The time of departure doesn't matter, it's the late arrival time that counts. They will all be due 261 compensation by the sounds of it.

The airline is fully responsible for their 'duty of care', so replacement personal essentials, food, soft drinks, hotel, transport etc.

It's important that they keep receipts for anything they pay for themselves ready for claiming back at a later date.

Good luck.
    Thanks Tyzap, I've told them to go find a rep & request some toiletries - they have some stuff in their rooms but no toothbrushes / paste or deodorant (that could be one smelly plane later tonight!!!)

Good point on keeping receipts, will pass that on now.

Let the battle commence!!

• DIYBaldyman
    • By DIYBaldyman 19th Jul 17, 12:55 PM
    • 96 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    DIYBaldyman
    Some additional information - it seems that all flights in & out of Gatwick are still playing catch-up from an incident on Monday 17th when an Air Canada Rouge flight suffered a blow-out to a tyre on take-off. The Main runway was closed for around an hour for emergency inspections & clearing debris. The Air Canada flight dumped fuel whilst circling & landed back at Gatwick around an hour later on the number 2 runway, causing damage that had to be repaired & subsequently closing that runway for several hours.

I just heard of this whilst answering a post on the EasyJet thread.

So it seems the original delay may have been due to this & that all airlines may try & use the original incident as the reason for delays - may sound feasible to some people that an incident like that can still be causing chaos 36 hours later.

We'll wait & see what they say officially.

• spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 19th Jul 17, 1:14 PM
    • 4,343 Posts
    • 5,654 Thanks
    spadoosh
    MT1966 Man-TFS 13/06/2017
    Just putting this on here to say ive started a claim.

Flight landed about 3hr 40 mins delayed. Delay was caused by 3rd party software failure. Manchester airport had a check in software update over night which caused delays.

I believe for the most part that would be considered an exceptional circumstance, however the problems started very early morning and thomas cook said their systems where back up at 09:11. Our flight was at 14:35 yet didnt take off until just before 19:00. Pilot put his foot down to arrive at 22:49 (not sure if touch down or at gate?!).

Sent off a letter early july saying i would like the flight delay compensation, responded to say they are looking at it, and heres where im at.

I believe our flight was one of the most delayed (in terms of setting off) and seeing as our original flight was well after their systems where up and running again believe the delay was within the control of thomas cook.

Ill keep popping back with any updates.

ETA: Does anyone know how it works with babies? Ive read if they havent paid for a ticket then no compensation yet on our original booking i remember being slightly annoyed that we had to pay £50 supplement for babies air travel or words to that effect (she was on my lap). Actual receipt only shows total price of holiday. Ive included her in the claim because to me the £50 is payment for a ticket?! Any clarification?
    Last edited by spadoosh; 19-07-2017 at 1:23 PM.
    Don't be angry!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,022Posts Today

8,717Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin