Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 395
    • emma1111111111
    • By emma1111111111 30th May 17, 11:01 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    emma1111111111
    Thank you, its Aug going to Menorca they have cancelled all of their Saturday flight. Sooo annoying
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 30th May 17, 2:31 PM
    • 1,244 Posts
    • 861 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    Where are you flying from?
    • lisaone
    • By lisaone 7th Jun 17, 8:05 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    lisaone
    23 hour delay from dalaman to glasgow
    Good morning
    Just recovering from 4 hours sleep in 48 hours due to Thomas cook flight delay. The reason for the delay was offloading 5 passengers at sofia airport for smoking and being aggressive. This resulted in the aircraft being diverted prior to arrival at Dalaman and then the crew reaching their duty hours. Our flight should of left Dalaman at 03.20 on the 04/06/2017 but only left at 0047 on the 05/06/2017. They put us up in a hotel, by the time we got there it was about 7.00am, they said breakfast was being served between 7.30 and 9.30 and then there would be an announcement at 11.00am. So not much sleep. New flight time was announced as 23.30pm but had to be out of our room by 12.00pm lunch. No where to sit as about 250 people in lobby. We were then told we could keep room to 14.00pm. Absolute nightmare it was like groundhog day bringing suitcases up and down about four times in total. If Thomas cook could of arranged things properly why didn't they just say keep rooms until 20.00pm until transfer comes to pick us up and we could of got some proper sleep. Anyway wouldn't wish this on anyone. I have just put my claim in for compensation. My question is are these classed as exceptional circumstances or are Thomas cook to blame.
    Thank you
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 7th Jun 17, 9:08 AM
    • 843 Posts
    • 444 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Hi Lisaone,

It sounds like mayhem, having been through something very similar I know how you will be feeling.

Unfortunately there is no compensation for their incompetence and poor organisational skills.

I think this may, unfortunately, also fall under the heading 'extraordinary circumstances' meaning no compensation for the delay either.

Put your details into a couple of online flight delay calculators, such as Bott & Co, to see what they think.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 7th Jun 17, 9:25 AM
    • 2,882 Posts
    • 812 Thanks
    JPears
    One would hope that TC take action against the idiotic passengers for causing the delay, massive inconvenience and safety issues caused.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • lisaone
    • By lisaone 7th Jun 17, 11:03 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    lisaone
    Thanks for the replies. I do think though why we had to wait 23 hours because staff had gone beyond their duty hours is a long time to wait and Thomas cook are to blame for this. The flight that was coming into Dalaman was from Glasgow and was returning with the same staff. It landed at Dalaman at 05.00am on the 04 June, so staff having a decent 13 hour rest break should then take us to 18.00pm, but we only left at 0045 on the 05 June.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 7th Jun 17, 12:05 PM
    • 2,882 Posts
    • 812 Thanks
    JPears
    POssibly ATC issues with a slot? But I do agree it is an excessive time dealy.
    You could make a compensation claim with thearguement that it was not an EC AND there was an excessive delay ie TC did not do all they could to minimse your delay.
    I don't think there have been a many, if any legal cases that have succeded on this point, however.

• lisaone
    • By lisaone 7th Jun 17, 1:36 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    lisaone
    On the letter they gave out to passengers it states the reason for the delay was because of operational requirements resulting in the plane being diverted prior to arrival at Dalaman and the operating crew reaching their maximum duty hours, don't know if that makes any difference.
    Thanks
    • JPears
    • By JPears 7th Jun 17, 1:38 PM
    • 2,882 Posts
    • 812 Thanks
    JPears
    Because of the crew delay, there may well have been further delays with ATC for a flight slot.

• Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 7th Jun 17, 1:39 PM
    • 893 Posts
    • 403 Thanks
    Justice13075
    So this was on a previous flight and not your flight correct if that is correct it is what is known as a knock on effect and compensation i believe is due
    Have you checked with online checkers such as Bottonline and EuClim.
    • lisaone
    • By lisaone 7th Jun 17, 1:49 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    lisaone
    Yes, it was the flight coming into Dalaman where the diversion took place.I have just sent my claim form off today to Thomas cook so I will wait to see what the outcome is first before contacting any of the firms that act on your behalf.
    Thanks
    • JPears
    • By JPears 8th Jun 17, 10:35 AM
    • 2,882 Posts
    • 812 Thanks
    JPears
    You can check with the online firms without commiting to using them, online.

• lisaone
    • By lisaone 8th Jun 17, 5:07 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    lisaone
    yes thanks I did that and it said I am entitled to 400 euro per passenger, but I still think Thomas cook will go on the extraordinary circumstances, thanks.
    • Ashers92
    • By Ashers92 8th Jun 17, 8:19 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    Ashers92
    Hi everyone,
    Posting here to see what my chances are with a delayed flight.

I'll start with the basics.
    Flying from Gatwick to Antalya, Turkey with Thomas Cook on 22nd October 2013.
    Flight number TCX1712.

Scheduled departure of 08:25am, with an actual gate departure of 11:58am. Total delay of 3hr 33min.
    (Or a runway departure of 12:18pm. But I'm guessing it'd go by gate time)

Had an estimated time of arrival at 14:30 local time, however I believe we had an actual arrival time of 18:00 local. So on par with departure delay.

I wasn't given any specific information regards the delay however our plane was changed due to some issue with the original one breaking down.

Referring to post #6092 in this thread, below, there was ongoing issues throughout the week due to the breakdown. And this claim eventually got a payment.

We were on Tcx1542 last year 26th October Gatwick to Antalya. The flight was delayed just over 3 hours due to Operational reasons. We found out this meant 2 planes had broken down earlier in the week and our delay was a knock on effect from that. Did the usual & wrote to TC with no effect. CAA said we were due compensation but TC still said no. Sent NBA but didn't evan get an acknowledgement of this. So decided MCOL was next action.
    Issued the papers and on day 13 they said intended to defend. On day 27 the defence appeared on MCOL but I couldn't see it for some reason. Then received letter in post saying their defence was they had reviewed case & compensation would be paid in next 14 days but not the interest.
    RESULT cheque now received and cleared through banking system. Just shows they will only pay if forced to do so
    Originally posted by sandrac337
    Any thoughts on the above and my chances or making a successful claim?

Any help much appreciated!!
    Ash
    #157 - Save £12k in 2016: £12000 / £12000
    House deposit saving mode active: £19890 / £40000
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 8th Jun 17, 8:41 PM
    • 893 Posts
    • 403 Thanks
    Justice13075
    Put your flight details into Bottonline or EuClaim and see if they think you have a case if they do google Vaubans Guide download and read then send a letter before action. All explained in the guide
    • Ashers92
    • By Ashers92 8th Jun 17, 9:34 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    Ashers92
    Both sites say I can claim €400, so I'll find the guide, have a read up and get claiming! Thanks.
    • Ashers92
    • By Ashers92 12th Jun 17, 9:51 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    Ashers92
    First hurdle in my claim..

I'm starting the ball rolling via the Thomas Cook claim form on their website, just as a matter of process.
    In order to complete the form they request my booking reference.

Being 4 years ago, I cant find this and no longer have any emails or bank statements that could provide me such. I don't even seem to have an account on the Thomas Cook website.

Edit: By a pure miracle I have just found a small tear off section of my boarding card with flight details, but no booking ref. Obviously proves I checked in for the flight, however no help with the form.

Would I just be best to write to them directly?
    Last edited by Ashers92; 12-06-2017 at 10:02 PM.
    • legal magpie
    • By legal magpie 13th Jun 17, 1:05 AM
    • 679 Posts
    • 333 Thanks
    legal magpie
    If they turn you down and you go to Court, you will have to satisfy the Judge that you were on the flight. Try a subject access request. And read Vauban's guide.
    • philng
    • By philng 13th Jun 17, 11:37 AM
    • 509 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    philng
    I submitted a claim to Thomas Cook Online on Sunday on behalf of a member of the family with my e mail address.
    I have not received an e mail acknowledgement-Should I have done?
    • legal magpie
    • By legal magpie 13th Jun 17, 1:52 PM
    • 679 Posts
    • 333 Thanks
    legal magpie
    In an ideal world, yes but unless they have set up an automated response system which doesn't seem to be the case, you may have to chase them. Read Vauban's guide.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

376Posts Today

4,351Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin