IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Quooker
Views: 2,860
# 1
anneliza
Old 08-01-2013, 9:25 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Quooker

Has anyone installed their own Quooker hot water tap? A google search brings up lots of companies which sell the kits at various prices. I would be interested to hear any experiences.

Thank you
anneliza
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to anneliza For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
Furts
Old 08-01-2013, 9:52 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I have not followed fashion here, and have not used a Quooker. My question is are they safe?

If I built a children's nursery or elderly persons home I would not be allowed to fit radiators. Too dangerous, should somebody touch them. Let us say a temperature of 60 centigrade. Under floor heating would be fitted. Yet people accept a Quooker.

If I viewed hot water pipes to basins and baths in Housing Association/ elderly persons etc houses I would be looking for temperature control/mixing valves. People cannot be at risk from hot or scalding water, be it bathing or washing their hands. Yet people accept a Quooker.

Then there is the cost of purchasing and fitting a Quooker. What about scale? What is the cost and availability of spare parts? What is the life expectancy? What happens to the "dream kitchen" when it fails?

Was the invention of the electric kettle a mistake? Or is the Quooker the solution to the problem that never existed?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Furts For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
ryder72
Old 08-01-2013, 10:47 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

-----Has anyone installed their own Quooker hot water tap? A google search brings up lots of companies which sell the kits at various prices. I would be interested to hear any experiences.

Quooker is an excellent product and very reliable too.

Get it installed by someone who knows what they are doing.
A plumber would typically charge about 100 to fit on assuming that the hole in the worktop is easy to do.

Response to Furts.
---I have not followed fashion here, and have not used a Quooker. My question is are they safe?
You are entitled to your opinion. They are safe provided you dont do anything stupid with it. On that basis, nothing is safe. For instance a kitchen knife can kill yet every house has several.

----If I built a children's nursery or elderly persons home I would not be allowed to fit radiators. Too dangerous, should somebody touch them. Let us say a temperature of 60 centigrade. Under floor heating would be fitted. Yet people accept a Quooker.
You aren't comparing like for like. Is your house a nursery or an elderly persons home. If people living in your house are responsible and they shown how to use it, its very safe. If you think you will have visitors who are likely to use it to wash their faces or bathe under a Quooker tap, its not. One has to work on the assumption that when someone sees/hears water steaming out of a tap and making a gushing noise, they would be responsible enough to react accordingly.

----Then there is the cost of purchasing and fitting a Quooker. What about scale? What is the cost and availability of spare parts? What is the life expectancy? What happens to the "dream kitchen" when it fails?
All luxury goods cost more than ordinary goods and everything has a lifespan, even luxury goods. That is no reason why they shouldn't exist or be purchased.

---Was the invention of the electric kettle a mistake? Or is the Quooker the solution to the problem that never existed?
Was the invention of the toaster a mistake? Was the iPhone a mistake? The Stone Age didn't end because they ran out of stones. Quite simply Bronze was a better substitute.

So to summarise - they may be products and services you dont like or agree with and that doesnt make they bad or stupid. If you are going to raise questions, atleast make sure they are reasonably valid.
The poster formerly known as kmdesign
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ryder72 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
pookiewn
Old 08-01-2013, 10:52 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quooker have free installation when you buy one, I'd let them do the hard work for you! Probably safer to retain guarantees etc.
Fantastic inventions, still on the wish list
"Live each day as if it were your last and garden as though you will live forever"
Anonymous
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pookiewn For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
southcoastrgi
Old 08-01-2013, 7:18 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

i can see it being useful in a commercial situation like a cafe, but if you work it out how much boiling water do you really use in a normal home ? so IMO i think it's a very expensive ornament that won't get used very often
I'm only here while i wait for corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if i think you are wrong i WILL tell you.
The Following User Says Thank You to southcoastrgi For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
cddc
Old 08-01-2013, 8:45 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

They do seem to have a good reputation for reliability as far as I am aware. But I do wonder how long they will last in a hard water area. Kettles do not have a long life round my way, so I would worry about spending the cost of 20 or more kettles on something that does the job a bit better!
The Following User Says Thank You to cddc For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Moomum
Old 08-01-2013, 8:55 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I have had one for a year and a half, wasn't interested at all but was thrown in as a freebie in kitchen , now I love it!! Is amazing to have boiling water ' on tap ' :-p
Haven't had any problems at all with it, we are in a really hard water area and it hasn't caused a problem so far. Ours was installed by kitchen fitter who happens to be my brother and he had no problems. Our silestone work top had to be cut professionally though. HTH
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Moomum For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
keystone
Old 08-01-2013, 10:38 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I think they are an expensive gimmick to be honest.

Cheers
The Following User Says Thank You to keystone For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
Avoriaz
Old 09-01-2013, 1:50 AM

Do those of you who have Quookers leave them on 24/7 or do you turn them off at night, when you are out etc?

Do you have to remember to turn them off when you go away on holiday or for the weekend?

Are the fitted with timers?

I really can't see the advantage over a quick boil kettle. I put cold water in a kettle and it is usually boiling before I have sorted out the tea leaves, infuser, mug etc.
If women ran the world, there wouldn't be any wars,
but there would be entire nations that wouldn't speak to each other.
The Following User Says Thank You to Avoriaz For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Kaz2904
Old 09-01-2013, 3:07 AM

The thing which put me off getting one of these was that it has a tank of water which it always has at or near boiling point. I didn't see how this could cut my fuel bills.
Debt: 16/04/2007:TOTAL DEBT 92727.75 49395.47 43332.28 repaid 100.77% of 43000 target.
MFiT T2: Debt 52856.59 6316.14 46540.45 repaid 101.17% of 46000 target.

2013 Target: completely clear my 6316.14 0 mortgage debt. 6316.14 100% repaid.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kaz2904 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
ryder72
Old 09-01-2013, 6:10 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I must admit that I dont work for Quooker. I sell them and I love the product. I have one at home and one in the showroom.

I am not going to answer questions about the energy consumption as everything thats been asked is available on their website to read.

cddc - regards the scale. I live near MK, a very hard water area. You can install an inline filter to reduce the scale going into the tank. I haven't done this. Since the water is always at boiling temp in the tank, the scale simply falls away to the base of the tank rather than adhere to the heating coil. The tank requires a service which quooker recommend every 5 years. They will do this for about 125 but its a 15 min DIY job with a couple of screwdrivers, and an adjustable spanner and a gasket kit they sell of about a tenner. It involves opening the tank, wiping the scale away and installing new gaskets. After 4 years of constant use at home, I removed about a small bowl full of scale and its good as new. So its not a big problem and unlike kettles, these tanks dont fail after 2-3 years of use.
The poster formerly known as kmdesign
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ryder72 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Avoriaz
Old 09-01-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryder72 View Post
... The tank requires a service which quooker recommend every 5 years. They will do this for about 125 but its a 15 min DIY job with a couple of screwdrivers, and an adjustable spanner and a gasket kit they sell of about a tenner. It involves opening the tank, wiping the scale away and installing new gaskets. After 4 years of constant use at home, I removed about a small bowl full of scale and its good as new. So its not a big problem and unlike kettles, these tanks dont fail after 2-3 years of use.
Not only do kettles usually last far longer than 2 to 3 years, they don't cost hundreds of pounds and don't need a 125 service.

Our 15 3kw quick boil kettle is over 4 years old and still as good as new. I "service" it every few months with a few pence worth of citric acid or other descaler.

Quookers may have some perceived advantages, although I don't see them, but they are incredibly expensive compared to a kettle.

Last edited by Avoriaz; 09-01-2013 at 12:30 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Avoriaz For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
loracan1
Old 09-01-2013, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryder72 View Post

I am not going to answer questions about the energy consumption as everything thats been asked is available on their website to read.
Why not, is it particularly high?
The Following User Says Thank You to loracan1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
southcoastrgi
Old 09-01-2013, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loracan1 View Post
Why not, is it particularly high?
as AV says, the cheapest way is to only boil the amount of water you need (you don't boil a full kettle for one cup of coffee), so heating & keeping a tank at nearly boiling point on the off chance you want a coffee is hardly MSE now is it ?
I'm only here while i wait for corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if i think you are wrong i WILL tell you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to southcoastrgi For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
Cash-Cow
Old 09-01-2013, 6:13 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

They are an expensive gadget but add a bit of wow to a higher end kitchen. Ive got one and like it a lot. It's certainly not money saving due to high purchase cost up front but if I recall running costs are lower than a kettle.

I think they are a lot safer than kettles which can be pulled off work surfaces or pouring accidents.
I'm retiring at 55. You can but dream.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cash-Cow For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
Furts
Old 09-01-2013, 8:18 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I did not intend to upset ryder72 - so apologies.

I thought my question was "reasonably valid". Most of us are used to the concept of risk assessments. Would a child, elderly, disabled, dementia sufferer etc recognise the "gushing noise" and realise they could be scalded? Would they realise the water came out hotter than a normal tap? Would they recognise it was not a normal tap?

My instinct is many work and home environments would either not allow a Quooker, or have a prominent warning sign attached to it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Furts For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
Biggles
Old 09-01-2013, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southcoastrgi View Post
you don't boil a full kettle for one cup of coffee
You certainly don't, you heat it to 80 or 90 deg C, no more.

These devices are therefore no good to a coffee drinker but they may have a use if you drink gallons of tea a day.

I came across one ten years ago in the US and, to be honest, it scared me!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Biggles For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
Avoriaz
Old 12-01-2013, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash-Cow View Post
They are an expensive gadget but add a bit of wow to a higher end kitchen. Ive got one and like it a lot. It's certainly not money saving due to high purchase cost up front but if I recall running costs are lower than a kettle.

I think they are a lot safer than kettles which can be pulled off work surfaces or pouring accidents.
I really don't see how that is possible unless it is in more or less constant use.

We use our kettle maybe four or five times a day at most. We only boil what we need. Maybe half the energy used is wasted heating the kettle itself rather than the water but it isn't sitting there slowly leaking heat all day.
# 19
Avoriaz
Old 12-01-2013, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
You certainly don't, you heat it to 80 or 90 deg C, no more.

These devices are therefore no good to a coffee drinker but they may have a use if you drink gallons of tea a day.

I came across one ten years ago in the US and, to be honest, it scared me!
I'm not a coffee drinker.

Is 80 to 90 degrees C recommended for coffee?

I make tea with tea leaves rather than tea bags. I preheat the pot or the infuser and use boiling water.
# 20
yangptangkipperbang
Old 12-01-2013, 9:00 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by keystone View Post
I think they are an expensive gimmick to be honest.
Agree - and despite what the TV advert says/shows you don't make decent coffee with boiling water !!

Boiling water releases the acids in coffee and makes it bitter - unless you are on instant then it tastes awful anyway..........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yangptangkipperbang For This Useful Post: Show me >>