Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sholly
    • By Sholly 7th Jan 13, 11:10 PM
    • 174Posts
    • 648Thanks
    Sholly
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible
    • 7th Jan 13, 11:10 PM
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible 7th Jan 13 at 11:10 PM
    I like doing the impossible. Or at least trying it. It motivates me and, to be honest, I like to prove people wrong!! It's not that I'm argumentative (much ), I'm just determined.

I'll just set the scene, if you don't mind. I'm 18. My friend is 19 and wants to buy a house. I have my own dream to buy somewhere but I have no money so, for the minute, I'll just nab one of her rooms. So we go into an estate agents and they treat us like we're 5. They just don't want to know. I hated that feeling of being laughed at. Like they were giggling to each other as we left. My friend is now 28. She hasn't bought anywhere yet, maybe they put her off, but, not me; it just made me more determined and I started saving like mad! Weeks before my 21st birthday I became the very proud owner of a 3 bed upper flat. I paid £86,500 for it but I love it! So that was 2007, a matter of months before the banks crumbled. I sometimes think that if I'd waited a few months I could've got a great deal but the reality is that I probably wouldn't have been granted a mortgage at all.

So, enough of the past. The situation as it now stands: as of mid-December 2012, I owe £71,100 and I have a debt of £6,000 (0%). I've cleared a large amount of debt (I was paying more in bills/childcare than I earned) so far but I don't know what it was at it's height. I am aiming to be debt-free (£6k credit card debt) by Christmas 2013. I'm being mega-strict and eBaying, Music Magpie-ing so much that I start to think that maybe I don't need a bed, or doors, or sofas but then I remember that I do have some basic human rights!!!! Once this debt has been obliterated, I'll then be focussing all of my efforts on paying off my mortgage. My aim is to have it paid off by 30.06.18 (my son's 10th birthday).

My dream? Security. That's it. I want to feel that what I have is mine. I've worked hard for what I have and the thought that someone could come and take it all away terrifies me. I want my home to be secure for myself and for my son (I'm sure he'll feature in this diary at some point!). I want him to see me going to work everyday and working hard so that we can have a comfortable life. I've dreamt about the day that we owe nothing and I can see it being a goood day! That day, I want to take him to the travel agent and book the most amazing holiday (okay, so one more dream!); I want to take him on safari but I also want to help to build a school (or houses etc) whilst we're there so that I can ensure he values what he has and knows how lucky he is.

Anyway, if you're still reading, thank you! Please feel free to contribute to my journey and keep me sane when I'm eating brown rice and peas just so that I can make that tiny overpayment!!

Sholly x
    Last edited by Sholly; 08-01-2013 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Spotted a spelling mistake...thought I'd got 'em all!!
    DFW and MFW
    Debt free target: August 2018
    12 months to go
Page 9
    • Sholly
    • By Sholly 24th Aug 17, 12:38 PM
    • 174 Posts
    • 648 Thanks
    Sholly
    List update
    Financially:
    NSD other than littlie's haircut - fail, the tenants needed something for the flat so £14.99 over budget

With littlie:
    Game/chapter of Harry Potter - mega game of Monopoly started, to be continued today

House stuff:
    Finish kitchen - done
    Make a list of all of the freezer food and plan meals - done, I'm always amazed by what can be made when I think we have nothing in. Top up shop done today.
    Hoover living room and clean hallway - done
    Two loads of washing - done
    Put dry washing away - done

Looking after myself:
    Bath with a book, bed after I've put littlie to bed after his evening out - done

Today's list

Financially

Top up shop only, NSD aside from that

With Littlie

Continue Monopoly marathon

House stuff

Make chutney and flatbreads for lunch
    Hoover stairs

Looking after myself

Run 14k - Boyfriend is taking Littlie to his activity tonight so I'll hopefully get this done then
    DFW and MFW
    12 months to go
    • Sholly
    • By Sholly 25th Aug 17, 12:24 PM
    • 174 Posts
    • 648 Thanks
    Sholly
    List updates
    Today's list

Financially

Top up shop only, NSD aside from that - Boyfriend and Littlie did this and they didn't buy a single thing that wasn't on the list ...and they went when they were hungry! #proud

With Littlie

Continue Monopoly marathon - complete, I won!

House stuff

Make chutney and flatbreads for lunch - done
    Hoover stairs - not done, I had planned on doing this after my run, but I was so ill afterwards, I have no idea what happened

Looking after myself

Run 14k - Boyfriend is taking Littlie to his activity tonight so I'll hopefully get this done then - run done, managed 15k, but I felt stiff as soon as I stopped, and then felt sick. I managed a shower and about a quarter of my tea before I had to go to bed and slept for almost 12 hours. I have a half marathon in a couple of weeks so I really need to work out what went wrong yesterday

Today's list

Financially

I've had to pay a £30.10 bill, NSD aside from that

With Littlie

A chapter of Harry Potter at bedtime

See if he'll help me make scones for a picnic tomorrow

House stuff

Clean bathroom
    Hoover stairs

Looking after myself

A bath to soothe sore muscles after yesterdays run
    DFW and MFW
    12 months to go
    • Sholly
    • By Sholly 8th Sep 17, 10:53 AM
    • 174 Posts
    • 648 Thanks
    Sholly
    Finally Friday
    My last list was a little while ago, but it all got done

Financially

I've had to pay a £30.10 bill, NSD aside from that

With Littlie

A chapter of Harry Potter at bedtime
    See if he'll help me make scones for a picnic tomorrow

House stuff

Clean bathroom
    Hoover stairs

Looking after myself

A bath to soothe sore muscles after yesterdays run

My new list:

Financially: low spend day today - I heard that our little local charity shop had some school jumpers with the school logo on so I popped in to get one 30p! Bargain. The only other spend will be swimming with Little tonight - I have a membership so just £2.40

With Littlie: swimming and a chapter of Harry Potter at bedtime if it's not too late

House stuff: hopefully, finally, I'll get to the bottom of the washing basket today

Looking after myself: 5k run, swimming and maybe even a bath later - what a treat!
    DFW and MFW
    12 months to go
    • Sholly
    • By Sholly 8th Sep 17, 11:09 AM
    • 174 Posts
    • 648 Thanks
    Sholly
    Debt
    I've been trying to be really MSE recently. If I'm to be debt-free by this time next year, then I have to be.

I made a list of all of the food in the house to use all of it up before we go shopping. Unfortunately, somehow to food bill this month is £284 which is higher than normal - maybe it was the start of the month when we were away camping. No idea. Hopefully lower next month.

I've also started Christmas shopping early to spread the costs so Littlie has a few little presents, my step-mum's present is sorted and I just need something small to accompany my nephew's gifts. I'm going to spend around £20 a month over the next 3 months which will cover a lot of Christmas minus Littlie's and Boyfriend's main presents.

My car insurance is due later this month so I have this in my calendar to sort out after "credit card cut off" day. I'd love to get this lower than £300. I also need to check when my service is due. I'm pretty sure this is also the end of this month. Humpf I need to live on beans on toast.
    DFW and MFW
    12 months to go
    • Sholly
    • By Sholly 4th Oct 17, 3:13 PM
    • 174 Posts
    • 648 Thanks
    Sholly
    October
    Autumn is here! The season of blankets, hot chocolate and Halloween! I run through the woodland near our house a lot and it's lovely running through crunchy leaves and seeing how it all looks so different every time I go out.

Littlie and Boyfriend's Christmas presents have been purchased and are currently hidden in our spare bedroom. I have spent £136.54 on Littlie so far for Christmas, but his Christmas list is under construction and looks to include about £100 worth of things...goodness! I have told him that Santa can't always get him everything on his list so he's going to write it in priority order! Normally I'm asked by loads of family members what he wants so I'll be able to use that list then. Boyfriend and I have a £100 limit on Christmas presents - I have spent £70 so far so just £30 left to spend there...I need an essential item for his main present so I will shop around for a good deal. £36.54 spent on other family members and approximately £60 of presents left to get, although one of them is just a cheque so that won't come out of my bank until after Christmas. The cheque is a tricky one, actually. It's for my step-brother who I haven't seen for a couple of years. He's really lovely but the gift giving is definitely very one-way for both Christmas and birthdays, but I've always given him something and didn't really expect anything back as he is a lot younger than me and a student, but a "thank you" would be appreciated - sometimes the cheques aren't cashed for a few months. But still tricky as I don't really feel like I can miss him out. The other £40 is for a present for my Dad - hard to buy for, but I'll find him something.

Car insurance (£280) and service (£175) both sorted - a very expensive month. I also have my sister's wedding shortly but my bridesmaid dress is MASSIVE and there is no contribution from them to get it altered so I will have to pay for that. Hmm.

The important bit

Current debt: £13,156

Something I need to work out: this debt is split over 3 credit cards, all 0%. Priority list is as follows:

CC1: £3,004. End of 0% April 18, due to be paid off Jan 18
    CC2: £4,875. End of 0% Aug 18, due to be paid off April 18
    CC3: £5,277. End of 0% Aug 18, due to be paid off July 18

I also have a Tesco CC which I use day-to-day for clubcard points but this is paid off in full every month.

I am due to re-mortgage both my BTL and my main mortgage at the end of March 2018 so CC1 will be paid off and closed by then but, is it worth transferring CC2 to CC3 so from an application point of view, I only have one CC with debt and one which is paid off every month? (I have enough available credit to do this, current fee is 4% so I'd have to wait to see if I get an BT offer - I'm not paying 4%!). Also, I will be starting the re-mortgage process in January, but my debt will be paid off 6 months later, so when they ask what my monthly credit card commitments are, do they take that into account? Or do I tell them what my minimum payments are and say that I do always overpay? A lot to look into - any advice appreciated!

Sholly x
    Last edited by Sholly; 04-10-2017 at 3:23 PM. Reason: Update
    DFW and MFW
    12 months to go
    • Sholly
    • By Sholly 3rd Nov 17, 11:44 PM
    • 174 Posts
    • 648 Thanks
    Sholly
    This month has been a whirlwind. Boyfriend and I have separated. I made the decision in the end as he never would have, even though he was miserable. Anyway, things are very amicable and Littlie has taken it well (hopefully this will continue) - I think he can see that we'll be happier just being friends. So this will mean big changes for my finances. I am buying Boyfriend (let's now make him "ex-Boyfriend") out of the house and will need to give him around £60,000 (this is scary!) which I'm planning to try and get from my mortgage. We're tied in until April so we'll live together until then and I'll remortgage on my own. This will be a gigantic squeeze on my money but it's do-able. So for the next few months I need to be exceedingly strict. Unfortunately there are so many birthdays at this time of year and Christmas but as long as I can keep other spends to a minimum, it'll be fine.

As far as my debt goes, ex-Boyfriend and I had some money in a savings scheme so we've cancelled that and I'm now just waiting for it to drop into the current account along with some shares so this will mean £2,151 to put towards one of my credit cards. I also have £350 in savings which I shouldn't use, but they were for flights that won't be happening anytime soon (I cannot afford the rest of the holiday!) so if I pay this off my debt, I'll be able to clear that card this month which will leave me with just over £9k in debt over two 0% credit cards. I will need to pay back the £350 into my savings but this can be done once the debt has gone. I don't think I'll be able to pay off one of the other cards before the end of the 0% but it will be under £1000 to transfer to a new deal and I can sort that out after the remortgage.

It's funny how a few weeks can change everything.

Sholly x
    Last edited by Sholly; 03-11-2017 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Sp
    DFW and MFW
    12 months to go
    • Silence101
    • By Silence101 4th Nov 17, 6:42 AM
    • 290 Posts
    • 440 Thanks
    Silence101
    Sorry to hear that. I hope you manage to sort out the remortgage as you plan.
    Could you have a small budget for birthdays and Christmas? Like £5/person (that's what we do for extended family for Christmas) It still adds up but is much more manageable.
    09/17 Shared Ownership 50% share - Mortgage £77500 Original MFW 2052
    10/17 OP £108.01 /£100 11/17 £176.54/£100
    • Sholly
    • By Sholly 4th Nov 17, 8:41 AM
    • 174 Posts
    • 648 Thanks
    Sholly
    Sorry to hear that. I hope you manage to sort out the remortgage as you plan.
    Could you have a small budget for birthdays and Christmas? Like £5/person (that's what we do for extended family for Christmas) It still adds up but is much more manageable.
    Originally posted by Silence101
    Morning Silence,

Thank you. The remortgage is worrying me sightly but I am doing everything that I can to make it easier so I'll just have to cross my fingers after that! The birthdays that are coming up are ex-Boyfriends family so I don't have to buy the presents, but I've committed to going out for a meal to celebrate. They're all lovely so I'm really keen to maintain good relationships with them so I'm going to go this year - it'll probably be the last year that I'm invited! My nephew's birthdays are in December but we only send cards for birthdays, for their Christmas presents I buy really far in advance so that I can get good deals! I've actually almost finished my Christmas shopping this year and it does save a lot of money. For the remaining presents, I have £30 of Amazon vouchers and a £25 Next voucher so they will be spent! I think I can do it all for quite a low cost, I'm definitely being very mindful of cost this year.

Sholly x
    DFW and MFW
    12 months to go
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

194Posts Today

1,579Users online

Martin's Twitter