Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zeupater
    • By zeupater 7th Jan 13, 5:36 PM
    • 3,699Posts
    • 4,555Thanks
    zeupater
    Solar ... In the news
    • 7th Jan 13, 5:36 PM
    Solar ... In the news 7th Jan 13 at 5:36 PM
    Hi All

Thought it was about time we had a thread specifically to discuss relevant press articles relating to solar pv & thermal ..... so here goes ...

Z
    Last edited by zeupater; 07-01-2013 at 5:48 PM.
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
Page 98
    • zeupater
    • By zeupater 8th Sep 17, 2:26 PM
    • 3,699 Posts
    • 4,555 Thanks
    zeupater
    ... In addition there is an export payment for an assumed 50% of the total generated kWh. This 50% export is paid regardless of the householder exporting 100% of the generated kWh or 0% of that generated. So in theory you could use every kWh in the house and export nothing, and still claim the 50% export payment.
    Originally posted by Cardew
    Hi

However, there's likely to be little hurry from the energy supply sector to address this. As long as the majority of households export considerably more than 50% of their generation then there's absolutely no incentive for the industry to push for metered exports to replace the deemed payment ... it would simply cost them money! For example, take the FiT scheme & smart-meters ... you would have thought that there be pressure to use inputs & the available registers to replace TGMs in a sane world, wouldn't you ??

Anyway, I'm sitting here at the moment and our PV is generating 3.24kW of which 480W is powering the house (laptop, TV etc) as well as providing 1.9kW.t of space heating and running a solar thermal pump currently dumping 1kW.t to the DHW ... and we're still exporting 85% of what's being produced ...

.. Taking this into consideration, I'm sure that NigeWick won't be alone in having domestic batteries installed .... the ability to provide 24Hr heating with our own solar power ... just think on the logs I'd save ! ...

HTH
    Z
    Last edited by zeupater; 08-09-2017 at 2:28 PM.
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    • lstar337
    • By lstar337 8th Sep 17, 2:37 PM
    • 3,209 Posts
    • 1,716 Thanks
    lstar337
    Given it has a German name I assumed it was originally a German manufactured device.
    Originally posted by Cardew
    I always imagined it was an amalgam of 'Immersion' and 'Sun'.

Is it actually a German name?
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 8th Sep 17, 4:06 PM
    • 5,791 Posts
    • 9,840 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    I always imagined it was an amalgam of 'Immersion' and 'Sun'.

Is it actually a German name?
    Originally posted by lstar337
    hi. they are a kent based company, proudly declaring 'made in britain' and yes, it is of course immersion and sun.
    Just 'call me Mart'. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 8th Sep 17, 4:12 PM
    • 5,791 Posts
    • 9,840 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    I believe the UK has more than enough solar and wind potential, when combined with batteries, to make us completely electricity independent using just renewables.
    Originally posted by NigeWick
    hiya nige, the government seems to have waken up to the need for storage, so hopefully they will be making moves to further such decisions as you are suggesting given the obvious environmental benefits of offsetting high carbon evening demand/generation peaks.

also, in case you are wondering, i suspect most of us are aware that you are environmentally motivated, and also don't worry about fit payments, they have nothing to do with storage, nor export, metered or not. to suggest otherwise is total garbage.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 8th Sep 17, 4:19 PM
    • 5,791 Posts
    • 9,840 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Anyway, I'm sitting here at the moment and our PV is generating 3.24kW of which 480W is powering the house (laptop, TV etc) as well as providing 1.9kW.t of space heating and running a solar thermal pump currently dumping 1kW.t to the DHW ... and we're still exporting 85% of what's being produced ...

HTH
    Z
    Originally posted by zeupater
    hiya z, if my solaredge monitoring is correct [and it does claim i imported 81.15kwh in august againt my import mter reading of 82], then my august export was just shy of 83pc.

i must do better ..... take that as you may ....

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 8th Sep 17, 5:08 PM
    • 5,791 Posts
    • 9,840 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    good news - the new mip has received virtually no support from eu member states.

bad news - they are doing it anyway, so pv panel prices are now artificially about 30pc higher, and some businesses are now, naturally, putting off installs for 2yrs in anticipation of the prices finally falling.

MIP replacement approved

The European Commission has approved replacing the current Minimum Import Price (MIP) for module imports from China with a new reduced price on a sliding scale mechanism, despite receiving almost negligible support from member states.

The price of the original proposal had been lowered by two cents at the start of the week in response to concerns expressed by the industry, but the new lower price would still keep affected solar panels roughly 30% higher than the current market price, according to Dr Christian Westermeier, president of trade group SolarPower Europe.

Such a mismatch will continue fears of European prices being artificially locked in and leaving the downstream market at a disadvantage, with the potential for lengthy project delays. On the other hand European PV manufacturers worry that a price reduction will harm jobs in the sector.

Put to a vote, the new system received support from just one member state, with 14 members abstaining and 13 members opposing. Due to a technicality the proposal was still passed.

• zeupater
    • By zeupater 8th Sep 17, 5:42 PM
    • 3,699 Posts
    • 4,555 Thanks
    zeupater
    good news - the new mip has received virtually no support from eu member states.

bad news - they are doing it anyway, so pv panel prices are now artificially about 30pc higher, and some businesses are now, naturally, putting off installs for 2yrs in anticipation of the prices finally falling.

MIP replacement approved
    Originally posted by Martyn1981
    Hi

Alternative title ... German lobbying tail wags EU consumer dog.

(Rude alternatives involving threaded metal are available too .. )

Anyway, whilst on the subject of PV & Germany ... have a look at this monstrosity ... Solar Powered RV ... yes, but, no, but ... no thanks! ... but feel free to place your order!

HTH
    Z
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 9th Sep 17, 8:09 AM
    • 5,791 Posts
    • 9,840 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Anyway, whilst on the subject of PV & Germany ... have a look at this monstrosity ... Solar Powered RV ... yes, but, no, but ... no thanks! ... but feel free to place your order!
    so, a pv rv, interesting. so ugly i kind of like it, and an interesting idea, though i'm not sur about the claim that the 3kwp will keep you going.

if an ev can do about 4 miles per kwh, then 3kwh would allow you to drive at 12mph. assuming half the generation, as not all panels in the sun, and half the vehicular efficiency due to weight and aerodynamics, that means you could keep on going at 3mph, which would be a pleasant pace to take in the stunning german countryside i suppose.

expect lots of on-site arguments concerning the deployment of the side mounted sun-shades!

cant help thinking it would be cheaper to build a 3kwp grid-tied install for home/environment, then plug in to mains on site, ideally also sourcing pv.

• EricMears
    • By EricMears 9th Sep 17, 9:04 AM
    • 2,259 Posts
    • 3,968 Thanks
    EricMears
    so, a pv rv, interesting. so ugly i kind of like it, and an interesting idea, though i'm not sur about the claim that the 3kwp will keep you going.

if an ev can do about 4 miles per kwh, then 3kwh would allow you to drive at 12mph. assuming half the generation, as not all panels in the sun, and half the vehicular efficiency due to weight and aerodynamics, that means you could keep on going at 3mph, which would be a pleasant pace to take in the stunning german countryside i suppose.

expect lots of on-site arguments concerning the deployment of the side mounted sun-shades!

cant help thinking it would be cheaper to build a 3kwp grid-tied install for home/environment, then plug in to mains on site, ideally also sourcing pv.
    I think the real point is that it would be charging up whilst parked (except at night of course) so even if you used a site without mains electricity you could leave site with more in the batteries than when you arrived.
    N Derbyshire.
    4kwp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 9th Sep 17, 9:09 AM
    • 5,791 Posts
    • 9,840 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    I think the real point is that it would be charging up whilst parked (except at night of course) so even if you used a site without mains electricity you could leave site with more in the batteries than when you arrived.
    Originally posted by EricMears
    yep, which was why i specifically referred to the 'keep going' issue.

Those babies can make up to 3,000 watts of electricity for its 228-Ah battery. In other words, you’re all good to just keep on going.

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 9th Sep 17, 9:13 AM
    • 5,791 Posts
    • 9,840 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    another small step fiorward for perovskite:

Scientists use light & humidity to ‘heal’ perovskite defects

“It’s counter-intuitive, but applying humidity and light makes perovskite solar cells more luminescent, a property which is extremely important if you want efficient solar cells,” continues Stranks. “We’ve seen an increase in luminescence efficiency from 1% to 89%, and we think we could get all the way to 100%m which means we could have no voltage loss – but there is still a lot of work to be done.”

• NigeWick
    • By NigeWick 9th Sep 17, 11:03 AM
    • 2,701 Posts
    • 1,008 Thanks
    NigeWick
    Taking this into consideration, I'm sure that NigeWick won't be alone in having domestic batteries installed .... the ability to provide 24Hr heating with our own solar power ... just think on the logs I'd save ! ...
    When it's miserable and/or cold outside, SWMBO likes to see the flames in our little 5kW log burner.

Looks like I've found a nearby electrician to add to my solar and install the Powerwall 2. A bit cheaper than the company @bobbyllew found. He quoted me when a 4kW system was £15,000 but I got made redundant so couldn't afford it at that time. Looking at my current panels, I now think I can get five or six 300 or 350 W ones added on to our almost directly South facing system. They would be enough for me to run the house and charge the car when necessary.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
    • NigeWick
    • By NigeWick 9th Sep 17, 11:18 AM
    • 2,701 Posts
    • 1,008 Thanks
    NigeWick
    hiya nige, the government seems to have waken up to the need for storage, so hopefully they will be making moves to further such decisions as you are suggesting given the obvious environmental benefits of offsetting high carbon evening demand/generation peaks.

also, in case you are wondering, i suspect most of us are aware that you are environmentally motivated, and also don't worry about fit payments, they have nothing to do with storage, nor export, metered or not. to suggest otherwise is total garbage.
    Yes, they're spending at least 2/- 6d on battery research in order for the UK to be "world leaders" in battery technology.

Correct again. I am motivated by purely selfish interests. If I can afford solar + batteries and an electric car it means that I am helping with economies of scale with regard to pollution so the planet will still be habitable for my grandchildren and their descendants.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 10th Sep 17, 11:55 PM
    • 1,573 Posts
    • 2,084 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    When it's miserable and/or cold outside, SWMBO likes to see the flames in our little 5kW log burner.
    Too right! Got absolutely soaked playing footie this afternoon in our first league match of the season and as I'm (well) over 40 years older than the youngest lasses in the team I need to take care of myself, and the laid fire was ablaze seconds after getting in.

I'm some way from getting a powerwall or electric car as my finances are just not strong enough, so my next environmental investment may be a MHRV unit for my bathroom. All that free heat from my deep, post-exercise bath largely goes to waste and I can get my GF to fit it!

Flippancy aside, I'd like to add additional panels to my 4Kw and eventually get an electric, possibly PHEV, car. I'm waiting for the second hand market in EVs to improve: any ideas when you might change yours or views on the likely age of such vehicles? Will electric vehicles tend to be kept longer before entering the second-hand market?
    • michaels
    • By michaels 11th Sep 17, 8:39 AM
    • 19,263 Posts
    • 88,329 Thanks
    michaels
    Too right! Got absolutely soaked playing footie this afternoon in our first league match of the season and as I'm (well) over 40 years older than the youngest lasses in the team I need to take care of myself, and the laid fire was ablaze seconds after getting in.

I'm some way from getting a powerwall or electric car as my finances are just not strong enough, so my next environmental investment may be a MHRV unit for my bathroom. All that free heat from my deep, post-exercise bath largely goes to waste and I can get my GF to fit it!

Flippancy aside, I'd like to add additional panels to my 4Kw and eventually get an electric, possibly PHEV, car. I'm waiting for the second hand market in EVs to improve: any ideas when you might change yours or views on the likely age of such vehicles? Will electric vehicles tend to be kept longer before entering the second-hand market?
    Originally posted by silverwhistle
    We had our ev on a 2yr pcp but liked it so much that we kept it at the end entering a new 4 year deal, only thing that would make us change is if there were a great deal on a new and better electic car...

hi all
    Latest bids for off shore wind
    Two firms said they were willing to build offshore wind farms for a subsidy of £57.50 per megawatt hour. That compares with new nuclear plants at a subsidy of £92.50 per megawatt hour for 2022-23.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41220948
    here is the full report.
    Regards
    gefnew
    Originally posted by gefnew
    I posted this on the other news thread not the solar one.
    Cool heads and compromise
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 11th Sep 17, 8:42 AM
    • 5,791 Posts
    • 9,840 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    hi all
    Two firms said they were willing to build offshore wind farms for a subsidy of £57.50 per megawatt hour. That compares with new nuclear plants at a subsidy of £92.50 per megawatt hour for 2022-23.
    here is the full report.
    Regards
    gefnew
    Hiya, fantastic news. I've posted more on the G & E energy thread, just to keep things together, apologies for pedantry.

• NigeWick
    • By NigeWick 11th Sep 17, 5:42 PM
    • 2,701 Posts
    • 1,008 Thanks
    NigeWick
    any ideas when you might change yours or views on the likely age of such vehicles? Will electric vehicles tend to be kept longer before entering the second-hand market?
    Originally posted by silverwhistle
    I decided that I wanted an EV to drive NOW and so got the Leaf on lease for two years. I think you'll find second hand EVs will rapidly drop in price with the introduction of the new Leaf and those coming down the tracks in a year or two. Wondering how much the Jaguar Ipace will cost in two years time......
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 11th Sep 17, 10:38 PM
    • 26,821 Posts
    • 13,001 Thanks
    Cardew
    hi all
    here is the full report.
    Regards
    gefnew
    Isn't this thread 'Solar .. in the news'?
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 12th Sep 17, 11:41 AM
    • 1,573 Posts
    • 2,084 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    Cardew, didn't you read post #1956?
    • lstar337
    • By lstar337 12th Sep 17, 1:01 PM
    • 3,209 Posts
    • 1,716 Thanks
    lstar337
    I decided that I wanted an EV to drive NOW and so got the Leaf on lease for two years. I think you'll find second hand EVs will rapidly drop in price with the introduction of the new Leaf and those coming down the tracks in a year or two. Wondering how much the Jaguar Ipace will cost in two years time......
    Sorry to pull this thread off-topic, but do you know what happens in terms of battery ownership in a second hand leaf?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,863Posts Today

9,140Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Interesting well argued take on the Uber situation from a black cab driver... https://t.co/c1I5ta0jde

• Follow Martin