Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zeupater
    • By zeupater 7th Jan 13, 5:36 PM
    • 3,660Posts
    • 4,510Thanks
    zeupater
    Solar ... In the news
    • 7th Jan 13, 5:36 PM
    Solar ... In the news 7th Jan 13 at 5:36 PM
    Hi All

Thought it was about time we had a thread specifically to discuss relevant press articles relating to solar pv & thermal ..... so here goes ...

Z
    Last edited by zeupater; 07-01-2013 at 5:48 PM.
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
Page 86
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 30th Mar 17, 4:23 PM
    • 5,686 Posts
    • 9,702 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    PV and storage goes BIG in Australia.

Lyon Group to build world’s largest solar-plus-storage project in South Australia

South Australia to get $1bn solar farm and world's biggest battery
    Just 'call me Mart'. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 1st Apr 17, 4:14 PM
    • 5,686 Posts
    • 9,702 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    British firm develops Brexit solar panel that harvests only UK sun

A U.K.-based solar module producer is set to unveil a new Brexit solar panel that has been designed to only harvest 100% British solar energy.

Dubbed the “Grey-Catcher”, this new module is two-facial, with the company claiming that the frontside cells can harvest the typical solar rays that hit the British Isles with 100% efficiency, while the rearside can utilize raindrops to deliver an additional 35% power boost.

The developer, Hoodwink Energy, believes that with a fully U.K.-controlled, post-EU feed-in tariff, these panels could shave £350 per week off an average Brexit homeowner’s energy bill.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    • EricMears
    • By EricMears 1st Apr 17, 6:39 PM
    • 2,253 Posts
    • 3,957 Thanks
    EricMears
    Who forgot the 12 O'clock rule ?
    N Derbyshire.
    4kwp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 2nd Apr 17, 3:33 PM
    • 5,686 Posts
    • 9,702 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Who forgot the 12 O'clock rule ?
    Originally posted by EricMears
    I didn't find it early enough. But to make up for it, here's some interesting Tesla news:-

Tesla Plans To Build Entire City, Possibly Hundreds Of #TeslaCities

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 10th Apr 17, 3:03 PM
    • 5,686 Posts
    • 9,702 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Solar supplied 50% of California's leccy demand at midday on the 11th March. Time for some batteries/storage.

California solar influx causes negative wholesale rates

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 10th Apr 17, 3:06 PM
    • 5,686 Posts
    • 9,702 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Government has committed to a fresh review of the FiT by the end of the year.

BEIS commits to fresh FiT review by the end of the year

That review will take into account the balance of deployment caps between and within supported technologies while also considering deployment patterns, balanced against wider government priorities, a government source indicated to SPP.

Such a review could see support for small-scale solar PV – as well as wind, hydro and anaerobic digestion – redistributed and possibly increased to address a projected underspend within the feed-in tariff that has arisen since the introduction of significantly reduced rates early last year.
    The downturn in deployment triggered a year of significant change within the UK’s domestic solar industry. A survey conducted by the Solar Trade Association (STA) in collaboration with Big Four consultancy firm PricewaterhouseCoopers last summer found that as many as 12,500 jobs were lost in the aftermath of the FiT cuts as installation businesses found jobs difficult to come by.

Other technologies are witnessing similar downturns in deployment, particularly certain onshore wind bands and the two hydro bands.

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 25th Apr 17, 4:01 PM
    • 5,686 Posts
    • 9,702 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    I can't find much on this, but looks like a normal(ish) PV panel of normal size may now be pushing 350Wp. That would allow 5.6kWp on the roof space previously taken up by 4kWp of 16 250Wp panels.

REC launches REC TwinPeak 2S 72 Series, the highest power 72-cell multicrystalline solar panel in the world

Rated up to 350 Wp, the REC TwinPeak 2S 72 panel sets a new world record in power output for 72-cell multicrystalline panels, thus competing strongly with products of similar size using monocrystalline (mono) and mono-PERC technology by providing the highest power at a competitive cost. While REC has packed more power into a single panel, the REC TwinPeak 2S 72 weighs just 22 kg, up to 4 kg lighter than standard 72-cell-sized panels, enabling easier handling and quicker installation times.

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 1st May 17, 11:36 AM
    • 5,686 Posts
    • 9,702 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Australia is looking to increase the price it pays for PV export to reflect the rise in wholesale prices. New payments work out at around 6.75p to 8.5p/kWh.

Solar feed-in tariff benchmark could double by July 1

I'm reminded of the calculations that I (and others) did some time back, where in the UK, with a good deal and cheap self finance, PV generation could be down to around 7p/kWh.

With Aussie generation around 140% to 180% of UK generation, that makes me wonder if export payments may now be enough to pay for PV. Good news.

• michaels
    • By michaels 1st May 17, 3:02 PM
    • 19,116 Posts
    • 87,667 Thanks
    michaels
    Australia is looking to increase the price it pays for PV export to reflect the rise in wholesale prices. New payments work out at around 6.75p to 8.5p/kWh.

Solar feed-in tariff benchmark could double by July 1

I'm reminded of the calculations that I (and others) did some time back, where in the UK, with a good deal and cheap self finance, PV generation could be down to around 7p/kWh.

With Aussie generation around 140% to 180% of UK generation, that makes me wonder if export payments may now be enough to pay for PV. Good news.
    Originally posted by Martyn1981
    Surely with something like PV all being on-stream at similar times it makes more sense to pay spot or a payment linked to the electricity price at the time of generation rather than an average price. I assume Aus is the same as elsewhere with a dip in spot prices on high PV days.
    Cool heads and compromise
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 1st May 17, 4:58 PM
    • 5,686 Posts
    • 9,702 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Surely with something like PV all being on-stream at similar times it makes more sense to pay spot or a payment linked to the electricity price at the time of generation rather than an average price. I assume Aus is the same as elsewhere with a dip in spot prices on high PV days.
    Originally posted by michaels
    Hiya. Looking at these graphs for various states, it looks like prices are in or near that 11.6c - 14.6c range for a lot of the PV day.

I assume the evening peaks are for the same reason as seen in the US' sunny states, people switching on A/C when they get home.

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 5th May 17, 4:24 PM
    • 5,686 Posts
    • 9,702 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    France is planning another 2.1GWp of PV, and a new 20yr FiT scheme.

EU greenlights France’s new regulation (and FIT) for residential and commercial PV

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 5th May 17, 4:28 PM
    • 5,686 Posts
    • 9,702 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Trina Solar is pushing the cell efficiency of PV produced on an industrial process laboratory machine past 24%.

Trina Solar achieves 24.13% conversion efficiency for IBC solar cell

That would work out roughly at 6.25kWp, where 16 'old school' 250Wp panels would have gone.

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 10th May 17, 9:18 AM
    • 5,686 Posts
    • 9,702 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Rapid drop in tender prices for Indian PV, now at INR2.62/kWh ($40/MWh).

Indian solar tariffs well below three rupees in new Rajasthan records

The industry was shocked by low bids for a levelised tariff of INR3.30/kWh At Rewa, Madhya Pradesh, in February. Prices dipped further with Solairedirect’s winning bid of INR3.15/kWh for 250MW(AC) in Andhra Pradesh last month.

Now they have dropped significantly further. The massive levels of oversubscription (3.25GW) for this tender did signal that the records were likely to break again in any case. SECI's next tender at Bhadla, for the 500MW section built by IL&FS was also hugely oversubscribed (5.5GW).

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 18th May 17, 6:19 PM
    • 5,686 Posts
    • 9,702 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Calls for more support for solar, but the Tory manifesto has forgotten to mention it (again).

STA calls for 10GW of solar from the next government

and a Thursday afternoon bonus pic ... WOW!

China completes largest floating solar power plant

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 19th May 17, 11:10 AM
    • 5,686 Posts
    • 9,702 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Calls for more support for solar, but the Tory manifesto has forgotten to mention it (again).

STA calls for 10GW of solar from the next government
    BTW, did anyone notice this paragraph?

This is due to the fact that the STA believes much of the capacity needed to reach 40GW by 2030 will come from the commercial sector in particular, where Barwell claims there is 380GW-worth of south facing rooftop space.
    So what? Well, add in 5m houses at 4kWp each and you have 400GWp.

Next apply the UK's PV capacity factor of 10%, and you have the equivalent of 40GW (24/7).

That comes to 350TWh pa, which is the UK's average annual leccy consumption.

Not saying for a second that PV can provide all of our leccy, but if we could theoretically hit 100% with roof mounted, then we certainly don't ever need to worry about lack of space when discussing the potential for PV.

• michaels
    • By michaels 20th May 17, 8:03 PM
    • 19,116 Posts
    • 87,667 Thanks
    michaels
    BTW, did anyone notice this paragraph?

So what? Well, add in 5m houses at 4kWp each and you have 400GWp.

Next apply the UK's PV capacity factor of 10%, and you have the equivalent of 40GW (24/7).

That comes to 350TWh pa, which is the UK's average annual leccy consumption.

Not saying for a second that PV can provide all of our leccy, but if we could theoretically hit 100% with roof mounted, then we certainly don't ever need to worry about lack of space when discussing the potential for PV.
    I'll only let you get away with that one if you do the maths on how much storage would be needed for UK annual solar production to cover our annual energy use.....
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 21st May 17, 7:23 AM
    • 5,686 Posts
    • 9,702 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    I'll only let you get away with that one if you do the maths on how much storage would be needed for UK annual solar production to cover our annual energy use.....
    No thanks. I've only mentioned the space needed for a theoretical generation equal to 100% of leccy, to demonstrate that space is not an issue. If you are not sure about the 380GW statement then it's the STA that you need to challenge.

Never even mentioned UK energy demand.

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 21st May 17, 7:34 AM
    • 5,686 Posts
    • 9,702 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    As an aside, for anyone interested, here are the maps that show how much land would be needed to provide the whole world's energy (not leccy) from PV in 2030. Further down the second map is probably of more interest to the UK, as it shows the total sea area needed to do the same from off-shore wind:

Total Surface Area Required to Fuel the World With Solar

Just click on the maps to open a larger version.

Note - the off-shore wind map is based on 40% efficient 5MW turbines, but the UK is already installing 8MW beauties, that are about 50% efficient, and 10-15MW WT's are already on the cards.

• michaels
    • By michaels 21st May 17, 4:48 PM
    • 19,116 Posts
    • 87,667 Thanks
    michaels
    As an aside, for anyone interested, here are the maps that show how much land would be needed to provide the whole world's energy (not leccy) from PV in 2030. Further down the second map is probably of more interest to the UK, as it shows the total sea area needed to do the same from off-shore wind:

Total Surface Area Required to Fuel the World With Solar

Just click on the maps to open a larger version.

Note - the off-shore wind map is based on 40% efficient 5MW turbines, but the UK is already installing 8MW beauties, that are about 50% efficient, and 10-15MW WT's are already on the cards.
    Now you have got me wondering if solar/wind could have an impact on the climate, afterall with wind you are taking energy out of the wind so perhaps rain bearing weather aystems won't travel as far inland and solar energy absorbed by panels is not growing plants nor being reflected back into space.
    • gefnew
    • By gefnew 21st May 17, 5:19 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    gefnew
    Hi Michaels

Here is a link to an article about the effects it may have on the weather and other things that nay happen.
    https://www.nature.com/articles/srep35070
    Regards
    gefnew
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,652Posts Today

8,636Users online

Martin's Twitter