Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zeupater
    • By zeupater 7th Jan 13, 5:36 PM
    • 3,944Posts
    • 4,968Thanks
    zeupater
    Solar ... In the news
    • 7th Jan 13, 5:36 PM
    Solar ... In the news 7th Jan 13 at 5:36 PM
    Hi All

Thought it was about time we had a thread specifically to discuss relevant press articles relating to solar pv & thermal ..... so here goes ...

Z
    Last edited by zeupater; 07-01-2013 at 5:48 PM.
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
Page 107
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 12th Jan 18, 4:54 PM
    • 6,331 Posts
    • 10,472 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    ... I'd guess that the link Ofgem provided would be the official list! ...
    Originally posted by zeupater
    When it comes to OFGEM you can never be too careful.

FAQ's amended. Thanks again.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 12th Jan 18, 5:22 PM
    • 6,331 Posts
    • 10,472 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    I nearly posted this in the other news thread, then remembered this one is solar not PV.

So ..... CSP (concentrated solar power) is making a comeback. South Australia has approved the construction of a 150MW site, that'll have 1.1GWh of storage too, so able to run 8hrs at night.

Shame that CSP isn't viable in the UK (this far from the equator).

BTW, if you haven't noticed a theme yet, it 'always' seems to be SA getting things done, such as the Tesla battery, they are certainly way ahead of the Australian national policies - or should that be policy singular ..... burn more coal.

South Australia Approves World’s Largest Single-Tower Thermal Solar Plant

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 13th Jan 18, 7:37 AM
    • 6,331 Posts
    • 10,472 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    I found this article interesting (well a paragraph anyway), but here's why, first.

PV in the US has been quite slow on the demand side, and I and others have often mentioned that it seems very expensive compared to the UK and Germany.

I was aware that marketing and permitting were substantial costs there, whereas in the UK, there is no permitting as it's permitted development for almost all properties, and PV firms spend very, very little on marketing.

What I wasn't aware of though was just how much US permitting was:

Sneaky! US Energy Dept. Enlists Anytown USA In Solar Energy Stealth Attack

SolSmart launched under the Obama administration in April 2016 as a project of The Solar Foundation funded by the Department of Energy. The aim is to “cut red tape, drive greater solar deployment, and make it possible for even more American homes and businesses to access solar energy to meet their electricity needs.”

That red tape can be costly. SolSmart estimates that “inefficient” local permitting processes typically add $2,500 to the cost of a residential rooftop solar installation.

SolSmart is structured as a recognition and mentoring program that can help grow local jobs directly in the solar industry, while also enabling local communities to promote their green brand:
    Given that all of the US has better generation (kWh/kWp) than the UK, and the southern half is probably 50% better, then cutting those permitting costs could lead to an explosion in residential PV in the States.

If the US got to about 40-50m household PV systems of 5kWp (around 40% of households), then their annual generation would be similar to the whole UK annual leccy demand. Australia is already up to about 25% of households with PV.

Apologies for the waffle, but my brain decided to put all of this together whilst I was trying to squeeze in some extra zzzz's this morning, and the scale of this potential/future generation shocked me.

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 19th Jan 18, 8:55 AM
    • 6,331 Posts
    • 10,472 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Looks like PV has broken the 100GWp/year barrier. Waiting for exact numbers for 2017, but somewhere north of 100, with predictions of 107GWp for 2018, so looks like another milestone. So when will it hit 200GWp? Previously it's doubled every 2yrs, but I think it's slowing down a bit now.

BNEF Predicts 107 Gigawatts Of Solar In 2018 & $330 Billion In Clean Energy Investment, Again!

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 22nd Jan 18, 4:19 PM
    • 6,331 Posts
    • 10,472 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    What do you do if you break your 2020 PV target in 2017, well if you are China, just increase the target by 140%.

China’s cumulative PV capacity hits 130 GW, to reach 250 GW by 2020

It says cumulative solar PV installs in China have now reached 130.25 GW, thus outpacing the government’s initial target of 105 GW by 2020.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,782Posts Today

9,756Users online

Martin's Twitter