Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zeupater
    • By zeupater 7th Jan 13, 5:36 PM
    • 3,814Posts
    • 4,719Thanks
    zeupater
    Solar ... In the news
    • 7th Jan 13, 5:36 PM
    Solar ... In the news 7th Jan 13 at 5:36 PM
    Hi All

Thought it was about time we had a thread specifically to discuss relevant press articles relating to solar pv & thermal ..... so here goes ...

Z
    Last edited by zeupater; 07-01-2013 at 5:48 PM.
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
Page 105
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 9th Nov 17, 11:36 AM
    • 6,135 Posts
    • 10,258 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    A news item that is very significant when you consider some of the facts. I've tried to separate one or two major points per quote:

Energy Watch Group: 100% renewable electricity is both feasible and cost effective

A joint study by Finland’s Lappeenranta University of Technology and Energy Watch Group presented on the sidelines of the COP23 talks in Bonn demonstrates that a global transition to 100% renewable electricity could be achieved by 2050, and would be more cost effective than the current electricity system.
    The study’s key overall finding is that a global shift to 100% renewable electricity is feasible with current technology, and would be more cost effective than the current system led by fossil fuels and nuclear generation.

The study found that in a projected scenario for energy demand in 2050, 100% could be met by current renewable technologies, at a global average LCOE of €52/MWh, compared with 2015’s average LCOE of €70.
    In EWG’s 2050 scenario, solar PV covers 69% of electricity demand, wind 18%, hydro 8% and bioenergy 2%. The study predicts that wind will briefly overtake solar in the 2020s, before further price drops put solar back in the lead.

Storage is outlined as the key supporting technology for solar, with around 31% of total demand covered by storage technologies. 95% of this is projected to come from short term storage provided by batteries, with power to gas conversion providing seasonal storage.
    “There is no reason to invest one more dollar in fossil or nuclear power production,” exclaims EWG President Hans Josef. “All plans for a further expansion of coal, nuclear, gas and oil have to be ceased. More investments need to be channeled in renewable energies and the necessary infrastructure for storage and grids. Everything else will lead to unnecessary costs and increasing global warming.”
    The full study is huge, but the key findings and executive summary are worth a read. See link at bottom of article.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 9th Nov 17, 4:55 PM
    • 6,135 Posts
    • 10,258 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Early days, but in a few years we could possibly see a massive solar farm in Kent, a monster of 350MW.

It will also include batteries and provide balancing services, so would aim to be subsidy free.

Hive Energy, Wirsol announce plans for huge, ‘pioneering’ 350MW solar farm in Kent

Developers propose 350 MW PV+storage project in UK
    Originally posted by Martyn1981
    Little bit more info. The idea is that the economics could line up for 2020, and interestingly, it would share the substation built to serve the London Array windfarm, sounds like a good plan.

UK's biggest solar farm planned for Kent coast

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 10th Nov 17, 2:43 PM
    • 6,135 Posts
    • 10,258 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Flippin eck!

Four key takeaways on Italian PV from Key Solar event

A new energy strategy with solar at its core
    Today (Friday November 10) at 12 noon the Italian government is expected to release the final version of a new energy strategy (Strategia Energetica Nazionale – SEN) that could place solar as one of the main pillars of Italy’s future Italian energy system for the period 2020 to 2030.

The new strategy could even envisage the deployment of between 30 GW and 50 GW of additional solar capacity over that period, as revealed during one of the fair’s conferences by scientific director of the event Gianni Silvestrini, who also happens to be one of the most prominent figure in the Italian solar and renewable energy landscape.

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 16th Nov 17, 11:56 AM
    • 6,135 Posts
    • 10,258 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Looks like we'll have to wait a bit longer before UK homes get a Tesla tile roof over their heads.

Tesla silent over prospective delays to UK solar roof tile launch

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 16th Nov 17, 12:00 PM
    • 6,135 Posts
    • 10,258 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    And in other news from North America, check out those PV prices.

Mexico’s power auction pre-selects 16 bids with average price of $20.57/MWh and 2.56 GW of combined capacity

In the country’s first two auctions, which were held last year, PV projects with a combined capacity of 3.6 GW were ultimately selected. In both of them, around 1.8 GW of contracts for solar power projects were awarded. In the first auction, the final average price for solar power was $44.9/MWh, while in the second tender the average price for PV was $31.7/MWh.
    So, in less than 2 years contracts have gone $44.9 to $31.7 to $20.57.

Looks like the worldwide disruption has begun, and to think, only 7 years ago folk where betting against PV, and even more recent than that claiming that we shouldn't install PV at all in the UK.

I think everyone's estimations have been blown, especially mine.

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 24th Nov 17, 1:02 PM
    • 6,135 Posts
    • 10,258 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Two British stories, a community storage project, and the benefits of distributed generation.

Solar takes centre stage in UK’s first blockchain, P2P trading pilot

Verv is to fit 40 houses on the estate with its Verv 2.0 platform, connecting them to communal battery storage units to be supplied by Powervault. These will in turn be connected with the rooftop solar installations deployed by Repowering London in 2015.

Totalling more than 100kW, they make up the country’s largest community-owned solar installation on social housing and have helped lift residents from fuel poverty.

Distributed power could provide multi-billion-pound boost for economy, Centrica claims

The firm has this week published a new report, entitled ‘Distributed Energy: Powering Britain’s Economic Future’, which suggests that deploying greater on-site generation such as solar could provide benefits long beyond merely saving on energy costs.

If sectors such as heavy industry, healthcare and hospitality adopted more decentralised power the benefits would be felt across the economy.

Analysis included within the report claims that if just half of those three sectors – which up roughly one-third of total employment in the UK – could save nearly £900 million each year in their energy costs.

This would have ricochet effect, allowing more than 260,000 jobs to be supported and helping boost productivity by 1.5%.

Costs would chiefly be driven down by bringing energy generation closer to the point of consumption. Centrica said this would mainly centre around on-site generation through technologies like solar PV and combined heat and power, however the advent of battery storage had allowed new revenue streams to bolster business models.

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 1st Dec 17, 2:17 PM
    • 6,135 Posts
    • 10,258 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Solar PV 2018: Installs of 111 GW, a polysilicon factory boom and $0.30/W for modules

On the back of high solar PV installs, which will smash records this year at just under 100 GW, BNEF’s optimistic demand forecasts place growth at 111 GW in 2018, rising to 121 GW in 2019. It further sees a polysilicon factory boom, with production 10% up on 2017; and module prices dropping to as low as US$0.30/W for market leaders.

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 5th Dec 17, 7:50 AM
    • 6,135 Posts
    • 10,258 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    OK, I've been caught out again, apparently PV costs are still falling faster than I thought (or can keep up with).

Solar To Reach Tipping Point In 2018 & Save 80% In Developing World

A new report from London-based development company Crown Agents has concluded that 2018 will be the year solar hits its commercial tipping point, resulting in a dramatic drop-off in price and making the technology viable for a billion people, and opening the door to save developing countries up to 80% by switching to solar from diesel and petrol.

Crown Agents published its new report, The Solar Revolution, late last month in which it trumpeted that 2018 will be “the global tipping point for solar power” and “Tumbling prices and dramatic improvements in technology mean that, for the first time, this under-exploited source of renewable energy will be viable, profitable, and sustainable.”
    According to Crown Agents, the real cost of off-grid solar and battery storage now sits below 20 cents per kWh, compared to at least 60 cents per kWh of energy generated by small diesel and petrol generators. As a result, households in developing countries would immediately save up to 80% by switching to solar + storage.

And on a similar theme, in India new PV structures to catch and filter water too.

Inverted Umbrella Brings Clean Water & Clean Power To India

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 6th Dec 17, 11:22 AM
    • 6,135 Posts
    • 10,258 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Interesting idea to connect PV farms, and large scale roof systems directly to the UK's electric train networks.

Solar could directly power 10% of UK’s electrified train routes, study finds

• NigeWick
    • By NigeWick 6th Dec 17, 11:38 AM
    • 2,743 Posts
    • 1,050 Thanks
    NigeWick
    Interesting idea to connect PV farms, and large scale roof systems directly to the UK's electric train networks.
    How about solar panels between the tracks? Energy generation and weed suppression at the same time?
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
    • zeupater
    • By zeupater 6th Dec 17, 12:12 PM
    • 3,814 Posts
    • 4,719 Thanks
    zeupater
    How about solar panels between the tracks? Energy generation and weed suppression at the same time?
    Originally posted by NigeWick
    Hi

Do trains still have signs in the toilets instructing passengers to not flush toilets whilst in the station ?

... yuk, and I thought that my panels were getting a little mucky! ...

Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    • The Green Hornet
    • By The Green Hornet 6th Dec 17, 12:17 PM
    • 362 Posts
    • 595 Thanks
    The Green Hornet
    Hi

Do trains still have signs in the toilets instructing passengers to not flush toilets whilst in the station ?

... yuk, and I thought that my panels were getting a little mucky! ...

Z
    Originally posted by zeupater
    Modern trains are fitted with toilet tanks, which are pumped out at the depot when they become full.
    6 x Sharp 220 W panels. 1.32 kWp. SMA Sunny Boy 1200 inverter. South facing 30 degree pitch roof with no shading. Eco-eye SmartPV monitor + energyhive.
    • zeupater
    • By zeupater 6th Dec 17, 12:30 PM
    • 3,814 Posts
    • 4,719 Thanks
    zeupater
    Modern trains are fitted with toilet tanks, which are pumped out at the depot when they become full.
    Originally posted by The Green Hornet
    Hi

However, a considerable number of trains in operation still discharge to the tracks ... this is not required to be fully rectified until 2019!

... and we're supposed to be living in the 21st Century! ....

HTH
    Z
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 7th Dec 17, 12:59 PM
    • 6,135 Posts
    • 10,258 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Solar glass at 10% efficiency. I think it was 4% (or so) last time I checked).

Japan research team develops new semi-transparent solar cell

Scientists of Japan’s Institute of Industrial Science, at the University of Tokyo, have developed a new kind of semi-transparent solar cell, based on perovskite and nano-sized cubes of silver, with a conversion efficiency of around 10%.

The new cell, the research group claims, is able to increase the “plasmonic antenna effect”, which enhances the cell’s light absorption ability and, as a result, its conversion efficiency.
    "is able to increase the “plasmonic antenna effect”, ". Phew, and finally, this had been really bugging me.

• zeupater
    • By zeupater 7th Dec 17, 2:14 PM
    • 3,814 Posts
    • 4,719 Thanks
    zeupater
    Solar glass at 10% efficiency. I think it was 4% (or so) last time I checked).

Japan research team develops new semi-transparent solar cell

"is able to increase the “plasmonic antenna effect”, ". Phew, and finally, this had been really bugging me.
    Hi

... as Mr Scott was often allegedly overheard informing Captain Kirk .... "the tractor beam is weakening captain, that vessel is able to increase the “plasmonic antenna effect !" ... ... anyway, I've been following clear(ish) PV technology for a while and I'm pretty sure that I've read that someone already had a solution on the market at close to standard efficiencies (10-15%) based on a square meter price which was around 4x that of standard glass and that it was being used in building entrance canopies etc ...

The technology certainly opens up access to new markets (high rise buildings, house windows, conservatories etc) where there either isn't physical space for conventional solar pv or people have issues on aesthetics ...

HTH
    Z
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 8th Dec 17, 4:07 PM
    • 6,135 Posts
    • 10,258 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Thin on detail, but a large PV farm for Anglesey with what looks to be pretty large storage too:

Solar-plus-storage project set for Wales following successful legal appeal

Wales’ largest solar farm, complete with significant energy storage capacity, is to be built on Anglesey after Countryside Renewables successfully overturned a decision in November refusing planning permission.

The 50MW development was originally proposed in February to be built at Llanbadrig in Anglesey, to power around 15,500 homes annually while also using battery storage to act as a “peaker plant” for energy distribution.
    Neither Countryside Renewables or the council could be reached this morning to confirm the details of the permission, or provide a capacity figure for the energy storage to be installed on site. However, planning shows that 32 containerised battery storage units will be installed, and the developer will have to submit details of the technology to be used in advance of construction beginning.

• zeupater
    • By zeupater 8th Dec 17, 5:23 PM
    • 3,814 Posts
    • 4,719 Thanks
    zeupater
    Hi

And the price gap between poly & monocrystalline wafers falls to an incredibly low level ...

'The gap between quotes by China-based makers for solar mono-Si and poly-Si wafers shrank from over US$0.15 in October 2017 to US$0.14-0.15 in early November and further to US$0.10 at the end of November, according to industry sources.'
    http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20171206PD217.html

With the EU monocrystalline minimum import price on Chinese panels being based on a difference of 4.8c/watt in September this brings the need for a punitive tariff into further question ... a 60 cell 300W panel according to the latest wafer prices would have a panel price differential of $6 (2c/watt), yet the additional tariff at 4.8c/watt concludes that the technology differential should be $14.40/panel and base whole panel punitive tariffs on that ...

Crazy logic from Brussels! ...

HTH
    Z
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,741Posts Today

6,897Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin