Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • Gorgeous George
    • By Gorgeous George 26th Apr 07, 4:46 PM
    • 7,787 Posts
    • 8,466 Thanks
    Gorgeous George
    • 26th Apr 07, 4:46 PM
    • 26th Apr 07, 4:46 PM
    I don't think that the LL is your correct route to remedy this problem but, if the LL can be identified, I'd expect the Land Registry to be involved.

GG
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 26th Apr 07, 5:14 PM
    • 33,211 Posts
    • 138,192 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 26th Apr 07, 5:14 PM
    • 26th Apr 07, 5:14 PM
    download the deeds from the land registry website for £3.

They should name the landlord but may well give the address as the proprty concerned. you could try b4usearch.com to find an address if you know a name+ area.
    • cattie
    • By cattie 26th Apr 07, 5:16 PM
    • 7,633 Posts
    • 5,158 Thanks
    cattie
    • 26th Apr 07, 5:16 PM
    • 26th Apr 07, 5:16 PM
    You can pay £3 to the land registry & find out who the owner of the property is.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • Guy_Montag
    • 26th Apr 07, 5:46 PM
    • 26th Apr 07, 5:46 PM
    Actually the LL is responsible for their tenants behaviour!!

tee hee

Land reg is a good start.
    "Mrs. Pench, you've won the car contest, would you like a triumph spitfire or 3000 in cash?" He smiled.
    Mrs. Pench took the money. "What will you do with it all? Not that it's any of my business," he giggled.
    "I think I'll become an alcoholic," said Betty.
    • Gorgeous George
    • By Gorgeous George 26th Apr 07, 6:37 PM
    • 7,787 Posts
    • 8,466 Thanks
    Gorgeous George
    • 26th Apr 07, 6:37 PM
    • 26th Apr 07, 6:37 PM
    Actually the LL is responsible for their tenants behaviour!!

tee hee
    Originally posted by Guy_Montag
    He may be responsible for dealing with unruly tenants but that is hardly the same thing.

The owner may not necessarily be the LL (albeit likely that he is).

GG
  • skintarooney
    • 27th Apr 07, 1:00 PM
    • 27th Apr 07, 1:00 PM
    Thanks everyone, will have to get onto this and get it sorted!

I knew I could rely on you all!!!!
    • thesaint
    • By thesaint 27th Apr 07, 5:10 PM
    • 4,121 Posts
    • 2,067 Thanks
    thesaint
    • 27th Apr 07, 5:10 PM
    • 27th Apr 07, 5:10 PM
    Why don't you just get the council to deal with it?
    Well life is harsh, hug me don't reject me.
    • BTman
    • By BTman 27th Apr 07, 5:19 PM
    • 336 Posts
    • 326 Thanks
    BTman
    • 27th Apr 07, 5:19 PM
    • 27th Apr 07, 5:19 PM
    Or the police...
  • tucbiscuit
    the police aren't interested in bad neighbours, especially if you live in a built up area/city/town as if they went out to every bad neighbour they would never have time for anything else

I do feel sorry for you having a terrible family nearby as I used to have one next door and it is really unpleasant.
  • skintarooney
    the police aren't interested in bad neighbours, especially if you live in a built up area/city/town as if they went out to every bad neighbour they would never have time for anything else

I do feel sorry for you having a terrible family nearby as I used to have one next door and it is really unpleasant.
    Originally posted by tucbiscuit
    I used to have bad neighbours next door too and they made my life a misery so much that I actually moved.

At least this family are down the road!

The police haven't shown much interest even though these people have robbed the next door neighbours house by getting in through the loft area!

We are getting a petition together to give to the council to see if this will help!

The land registry was useless, this didnt have anyone registered as the owner, so for all we know these people may be living/renting illegally!:confused:

Again thanks for all your help an support!
    • thesaint
    • By thesaint 1st May 07, 7:31 AM
    • 4,121 Posts
    • 2,067 Thanks
    thesaint
    Forget about a petition, follow the councils rules about gathering evidence and logging incidents.

If the council and Police can't do anything, the landlord certainly can't either.
  • Guy_Montag
    Forget about a petition, follow the councils rules about gathering evidence and logging incidents.

If the council and Police can't do anything, the landlord certainly can't either.
    Originally posted by thesaint
    The landlord can serve them with an Section 21 eviction notice though.
    "Mrs. Pench, you've won the car contest, would you like a triumph spitfire or 3000 in cash?" He smiled.
    Mrs. Pench took the money. "What will you do with it all? Not that it's any of my business," he giggled.
    • thesaint
    • By thesaint 1st May 07, 8:57 AM
    • 4,121 Posts
    • 2,067 Thanks
    thesaint
    The landlord can serve them with an Section 21 eviction notice though.
    Originally posted by Guy_Montag
    I understand that, but it is not the landlords job to evict a tenant that the council and Police deem not to be a problem.
  • Guy_Montag
    Shelter specifically suggests getting in touch with the landlord:

Talking to your neighbours' landlord

If your neighbours are tenants you may be able to contact their landlord and explain that you are being harassed. Your neighbours' landlord may be able to take action to resolve the situation. The landlord's view is likely to carry more weight than yours in negotiating with them. In extreme cases the landlord might be able to evict your neighbours. This depends on their tenancy rights.
    If you're in Scotland:

Asaddar Ali was made the subject of the antisocial behaviour notice (ASBN) because of the antics of some tenants at a flat he owns in Bruntsfield.

The council took action after neighbours complained about the noise, litter and general antisocial behaviour coming from the property in Montpelier Terrace.
    http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=378562007
    Last edited by Guy_Montag; 01-05-2007 at 10:30 AM.
    • thesaint
    • By thesaint 1st May 07, 10:39 AM
    • 4,121 Posts
    • 2,067 Thanks
    thesaint
    Shelter do indeed say that, but you omitted that they also say to contact the police and council and keep records on the same page you quoted from.

I personally have given my home and mobile number to a neighbour of anti social tenants that I had a year ago. I told the neighbour to call me anytime day or night if their was a disturbance(Drinking and loud music).

I aslo told her that she needed to let the council and Police know her concerns.

People on this forum are always saying that the tenants should be allowed quiet enjoyment and how landlords have too much power. If a landlord were to evict a tenant on heresay stories, it would seem unfair wouldn't it?
  • Guy_Montag
    Fair point - I suppose the real problem is the police should be dealing with this to the extent that people who behave anti-socially stop it.
    • Mrs pbradley936
    • By Mrs pbradley936 1st May 07, 11:09 AM
    • 12,128 Posts
    • 17,902 Thanks
    Mrs pbradley936
    When we had nuisance tenants the neighbours found us by contacting all the local agents in the area. We eventually served Notice on them because they were a problem to the neighbours plus the flat was supposed to be rented to two nurses but at least ten people were living there (nurses and porters) and they were rotating the beds since they were doing shift work. The Council would not let that carry on for Health and Safety rules well that is what they told the nurse who had signed the tenancy agreement.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,290Posts Today

6,844Users online

Martin's Twitter