IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

  • Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

    Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

  • No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Taking pension at 55
Reply
Views: 1,774
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
# 1
mangrego
Old 06-01-2013, 10:18 AM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 18
Default Taking pension at 55

Hi

Any idea please is it worth me taking my pension at 55 i know i will lose 25% for taking it early but i am confused as to what i wil get. My ilistration is this


If i retire at 60

Final salary pension 8.698
CSDB pesion 4.510
Total pension 13,208
maximum lump sum 72.592
Pension after taking lump sum 9,603
Pension supplement 1,284

Any help please as to what this means and what i will get minus the 25%

cheers
mangrego is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
mania112
Old 06-01-2013, 10:53 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: East Sussex
Posts: 1,648
Default

Am I right in thinking you have a Royal Mail pension?

Here's their comments on early retirement:

Quote:
The current early retirement reduction is around 5% a year; this is a matter for Trustee and is reviewed from time to time by the Plan Actuary. Therefore, it is not possible for an individual to reduce the standard reduction factor since it is considered fair to reduce a pension paid early to compensate for the fact that it will be paid for longer. One way to offset the effect of the reduction is to pay Additional Voluntary Contributions to build up extra pension to cushion the effect of the early retirement reduction. Please note that if you retire at age 60, it is only the pension earned after April 2010 pension that will be reduced.
The only way to be sure what you'll get is to ask them for a retirement quote at age 55.

It's better, obviously, to hold on.
mania112 is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 3
mangrego
Old 06-01-2013, 11:01 AM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 18
Default

Hi

Mannia


Yes thats right but i took ill health retirement 3 years ago at the age of 48 so i dont work there anymore and that was the illistration they sent me so was wondering how much i would get on that figure.

regards
mangrego is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 4
Money Doctor
Old 06-01-2013, 11:59 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 463
Default

you should check if any reduction factor applies in the event of ill-health, the pension administrators should be aware of the situation,
a quick phone call stating ill health and that you are considering drawing the pension know will see the relevant forms sent to you
Money Doctor is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to Money Doctor For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
mangrego
Old 06-01-2013, 12:17 PM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 18
Default

Hi Money doctor

I think i still lose 25 % as i will be taking it 5 years early

regards
mangrego is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 6
mangrego
Old 08-01-2013, 9:01 AM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 18
Default

Thoughts please

I did telephone my pension office and was told although i was ill health retired i would if i too my pension at 55 lose 25% of it.
Ok i know most people say not to take the pension early at 55 instead of 60 but a scenario here, My pension at 55 will be about 8-9,000 a year and about 12,000 at 60 but if i am not working and i take the pension at 55 surely if the worse happened and i died early at least i will have had my pension paid to me say if i die at 65 i would have had 10 years pension.

I know this sounds dramatic but i know of many people that have worked for -------- got to retirement age then died shortly after that so this is my thoughts. Ok i live very long after taking my pension at 55 i will have had 45,000 in payments before i reach 60 then i will get my state pension at 66 so that including my works pension will be enough to live on as i am currently living abroad and intend to stay abroad.

thoughts please

regards

mangrego is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 7
mania112
Old 08-01-2013, 9:28 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: East Sussex
Posts: 1,648
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangrego View Post
Thoughts please

I did telephone my pension office and was told although i was ill health retired i would if i too my pension at 55 lose 25% of it.
Ok i know most people say not to take the pension early at 55 instead of 60 but a scenario here, My pension at 55 will be about 8-9,000 a year and about 12,000 at 60 but if i am not working and i take the pension at 55 surely if the worse happened and i died early at least i will have had my pension paid to me say if i die at 65 i would have had 10 years pension.

I know this sounds dramatic but i know of many people that have worked for -------- got to retirement age then died shortly after that so this is my thoughts. Ok i live very long after taking my pension at 55 i will have had 45,000 in payments before i reach 60 then i will get my state pension at 66 so that including my works pension will be enough to live on as i am currently living abroad and intend to stay abroad.

thoughts please

regards

If you can afford to live on 9k pa @ 55, that's fine.

If it's not enough, then you should wait until more is available @ age 60.

Second consideration is death benefits, your surviving spouse will be getting (probably) 50% of your pension when you die. So clearly she will get half of a lesser amount if you take benefits at age 55.

If you understand that, and are happy to do it - then you should. It's your retirement and your money.
mania112 is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 8
mangrego
Old 08-01-2013, 9:43 AM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mania112 View Post
If you can afford to live on 9k pa @ 55, that's fine.

If it's not enough, then you should wait until more is available @ age 60.

Second consideration is death benefits, your surviving spouse will be getting (probably) 50% of your pension when you die. So clearly she will get half of a lesser amount if you take benefits at age 55.

If you understand that, and are happy to do it - then you should. It's your retirement and your money.
Hi Mania

Thanks for your reply i am single so i am asumming i will lose the pension if i die

regards
mangrego is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 9
mark88man
Old 08-01-2013, 10:57 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,339
Default

I am not sure if your ill health means you will become progressively less able to do stuff you enjoy, or even if it means you may die earlier, but my rough calculations (9k at 55 vs 12k at 60) inidicate that it would take until 75 (ie 15 years after 60) to catch up. [I haven't considered inflation increases but that would only make 1-2 years at most]

So when you are 75 the general concensus is that you will be spending less than you are now - so if you feel you can survive on 9k now you should be more than all right later especially as you will have state pension from your state retirement age 65/66/...)

I don't know what other benefits you might be getting (or even that you might be losing if you receive this income). That's part of the bigger calculation

EDIT - One other point you have a sizeable lump sum there - if you split that between the 10 years between now and 65 that would double you effective income - and maybe let you do more fun stuff while you are relatively fitter. Its a difficult choice between how much of the lump sum to spend vs how much to save (ie how quickly to run it down) - but plenty of options for getting income from it
Sir Humphrey: How are things at the Campaign for the Freedom of Information?
Sir Arnold: Sorry, I can't talk about that.

LBM (July 2007) - 21,870 - 191K Mortgage - 0 Savings
Aug 2014 - 7K credit card debt @0% - 175K Mortgage (after 50k extension) / 12k savings & investments

Last edited by mark88man; 08-01-2013 at 11:01 AM. Reason: added final paragraph
mark88man is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 10
mania112
Old 08-01-2013, 4:32 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: East Sussex
Posts: 1,648
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangrego View Post
Thanks for your reply i am single so i am asumming i will lose the pension if i die
Unfortunately you WILL die... one day

Yeah, in a final salary plan - the pension dies with you if you're single.

If part of the pension is AVC or some other 'money purchase' type, this will be paid into your estate, so your family will be able to receive some, I'm not sure if that applies to you.
mania112 is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 11
mangrego
Old 09-01-2013, 7:57 AM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark88man View Post
I am not sure if your ill health means you will become progressively less able to do stuff you enjoy, or even if it means you may die earlier, but my rough calculations (9k at 55 vs 12k at 60) inidicate that it would take until 75 (ie 15 years after 60) to catch up. [I haven't considered inflation increases but that would only make 1-2 years at most]

So when you are 75 the general concensus is that you will be spending less than you are now - so if you feel you can survive on 9k now you should be more than all right later especially as you will have state pension from your state retirement age 65/66/...)

I don't know what other benefits you might be getting (or even that you might be losing if you receive this income). That's part of the bigger calculation

EDIT - One other point you have a sizeable lump sum there - if you split that between the 10 years between now and 65 that would double you effective income - and maybe let you do more fun stuff while you are relatively fitter. Its a difficult choice between how much of the lump sum to spend vs how much to save (ie how quickly to run it down) - but plenty of options for getting income from it
Hi Mark

Thanks for your reply I am not ill i took ill health retirement from a stressfull job with stress and i currently live abroad so as long as i am aware i am healthy, I am not sure what my lump sum would be yet and wont know how much i will lose from my pension if i take it, all i know at present at 60 my pension will be about 12K at 55 about 9K. If i stay living abroad i will be able to live on 9K If i take a lump sum i will invest it and wont need to spend it though not sure how much it will go down from the 9K. Then at 66 i will have my state pension, will i pay tax on any of the pensions? as my allowance will be higher than the 8K ish now. My logic is if anything did happen to me in my 60's o 70's i would have at least had 5 yrs pension payments from 55? instead of waiting until i am 60. My reason for thinking like this is my mother retired at 65 and then was told she had incurable cancer and died at 70 so i said i was going to retire early in life at least if the worse happened i would have at least had some retirement. Bleak thinking i know but this is the worse scenario.

regards
mangrego is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 12
mark88man
Old 09-01-2013, 8:36 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,339
Default

Good luck with your plan - I don't disagree if you can afford to live on 9K.

You will pay tax on pension income if you are over the limit 10k or so, and it seems you will be in that zone, but not by much.

I am not sure if you are non resident or not and that will effect your tax and what you can do with ISAs (you should ask), so your investment income may also be taxable but even so not a large %age of it

You may also need to check exactly how much UK pension you get if you have been abroad - you need an expert for that

For me the worst case scenario booklet has 2 cases
* that you die with money unspent
* that you survive but have spent the money (and may be in an unsympathetic foreign country!!)
Sir Humphrey: How are things at the Campaign for the Freedom of Information?
Sir Arnold: Sorry, I can't talk about that.

LBM (July 2007) - 21,870 - 191K Mortgage - 0 Savings
Aug 2014 - 7K credit card debt @0% - 175K Mortgage (after 50k extension) / 12k savings & investments
mark88man is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 13
kevelesopnic
Old 09-01-2013, 4:29 PM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangrego View Post
Hi Mark

Thanks for your reply I am not ill i took ill health retirement from a stressfull job with stress and i currently live abroad so as long as i am aware i am healthy, I am not sure what my lump sum would be yet and wont know how much i will lose from my pension if i take it, all i know at present at 60 my pension will be about 12K at 55 about 9K. If i stay living abroad i will be able to live on 9K If i take a lump sum i will invest it and wont need to spend it though not sure how much it will go down from the 9K. Then at 66 i will have my state pension, will i pay tax on any of the pensions? as my allowance will be higher than the 8K ish now. My logic is if anything did happen to me in my 60's o 70's i would have at least had 5 yrs pension payments from 55? instead of waiting until i am 60. My reason for thinking like this is my mother retired at 65 and then was told she had incurable cancer and died at 70 so i said i was going to retire early in life at least if the worse happened i would have at least had some retirement. Bleak thinking i know but this is the worse scenario.

regards
How did you manage to do this?. I'm not taking the P, genuine question.
kevelesopnic is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 14
dasherman
Old 09-01-2013, 4:59 PM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 171
Default

Mangrego, I work for Royal Mail and it seems to me that you're not reading your yearly illustration properly.
Your benefits at 60 assume you will work for RM until you're 60. Similarly your benefits at 65 assume you will work until 65.
So if you took ill health retirement 3 years ago at aged 48, the figures shown on your statement are null and void.

In addition to that, the career average pension(CSDB) only came into force in 2008, so presumably you only paid into it for about 2 years, so it's highly unlikely that you'll have a built up 4,510 worth of pension in such a short time.
Every little bit counts.
dasherman is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 15
mark88man
Old 09-01-2013, 6:49 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,339
Default

Dasherman - in the LGPS (Local Govt) which I know more about than royal mail - if you get given ill health retirement your pension is normally made up until your normal retirement date so the forecast may be right.

LGPS has 3 tiers - never going to work at anything again, never going to do your precise job again, and the third is something to do with 3 years

If there is any doubt though, Mangrego you need to double check as my (private company) pension statements were done on exactly the basis that dasherman suggests - ie assuming I worked until normal retirement age
Sir Humphrey: How are things at the Campaign for the Freedom of Information?
Sir Arnold: Sorry, I can't talk about that.

LBM (July 2007) - 21,870 - 191K Mortgage - 0 Savings
Aug 2014 - 7K credit card debt @0% - 175K Mortgage (after 50k extension) / 12k savings & investments
mark88man is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 16
mangrego
Old 10-01-2013, 9:25 AM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasherman View Post
Mangrego, I work for Royal Mail and it seems to me that you're not reading your yearly illustration properly.
Your benefits at 60 assume you will work for RM until you're 60. Similarly your benefits at 65 assume you will work until 65.
So if you took ill health retirement 3 years ago at aged 48, the figures shown on your statement are null and void.

In addition to that, the career average pension(CSDB) only came into force in 2008, so presumably you only paid into it for about 2 years, so it's highly unlikely that you'll have a built up 4,510 worth of pension in such a short time.
Hi Daserman

I am reading my illistraton right i telephoned Pensions the other day and they stated this is the figure my pension is worth at the moment!!

I was a Manager for Royal Mail and was ill health retired on the terms that i was unable to do that job again.

I get a yearly statement as to what my pension is worth as of today and i had an indepth conversation on Tuesday with pensions and the figures are correct i worked for Royal Mail for 21 years.
regards
mangrego is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 17
dasherman
Old 10-01-2013, 2:59 PM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 171
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangrego View Post
Hi Daserman

I am reading my illistraton right i telephoned Pensions the other day and they stated this is the figure my pension is worth at the moment!!

I was a Manager for Royal Mail and was ill health retired on the terms that i was unable to do that job again.

I get a yearly statement as to what my pension is worth as of today and i had an indepth conversation on Tuesday with pensions and the figures are correct i worked for Royal Mail for 21 years.
regards
Ok. Fair enough.
Every little bit counts.
dasherman is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
Reply

Bookmarks
 
 




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 Forum Jump  

Contact Us - MoneySavingExpert.com - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 4:56 AM.

 Forum Jump  

Free MoneySaving Email

Top deals: Week of 17 September 2014

Get all this & more in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email full of guides, vouchers and Deals

GET THIS FREE WEEKLY EMAIL Full of deals, guides & it's spam free

Latest News & Blogs

Martin's Twitter Feed

profile

Cheap Travel Money

Find the best online rate for holiday cash with MSE's TravelMoneyMax.

Find the best online rate for your holiday cash with MoneySavingExpert's TravelMoneyMax.

TuneChecker Top Albums

  • THE SCRIPTNO SOUND WITHOUT SILENCE
  • SAM SMITHIN THE LONELY HOUR (DELUXE EDITION)
  • VARIOUS ARTISTSKEEP CALM & CHILLOUT

MSE's Twitter Feed

profile
Always remember anyone can post on the MSE forums, so it can be very different from our opinion.
We use Skimlinks and other affiliated links in some of our boards, for some of our users.