Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Galeeno
    • By Galeeno 6th Jan 13, 2:05 AM
    • 276Posts
    • 15Thanks
    Galeeno
    Can Barclaycard STOP sending me postal promotional mail ??(I've paperless statements)
    • 6th Jan 13, 2:05 AM
    Can Barclaycard STOP sending me postal promotional mail ??(I've paperless statements) 6th Jan 13 at 2:05 AM
    I have barclaycard, and have online statements only
    (paperless, no statement posted to me)

but they sent me regular promotional letters, and stuff which i don't wish to receive in the post

Can this be stopped? by writing to them?
    that i wish to have no physical paper items posted to me ?

has anybody stopped them posting you stuff in the post? what was the procedure ?
Page 1
  • saras
    • 6th Jan 13, 8:30 AM
    • 6th Jan 13, 8:30 AM
    Hello

Under the data protection act you have the right to request that your details are not used for marketing. You can phone or write to them and they can make sure your name and address are flagged to not receive marketing.

Some mailings are prepared 6-8 weeks in advance so you may get some stuff through in the month after your request.

I hope this helps.
  • dalesrider
    • 6th Jan 13, 10:15 AM
    • 6th Jan 13, 10:15 AM
    Just ring them and ask for your marketing preferences to be updated to NO mail.
    • billbennett
    • By billbennett 6th Jan 13, 12:13 PM
    • 2,271 Posts
    • 1,623 Thanks
    billbennett
    • 6th Jan 13, 12:13 PM
    • 6th Jan 13, 12:13 PM
    I think you can also change it in MyBarclaycard, under personal contact preferences. That's how I stopped them calling me all the time.
    In "Monopoly", what makes the "Super Tax" so super?
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 6th Jan 13, 3:35 PM
    • 6,402 Posts
    • 3,376 Thanks
    chattychappy
    • 6th Jan 13, 3:35 PM
    • 6th Jan 13, 3:35 PM
    Yep, I get nothing from them anymore. If you have a current account with Barclays, you might get Barclaycard promotions from them so you might need to kill the marketing from that side.
  • Yakumo
    • 8th Aug 13, 12:59 PM
    • 8th Aug 13, 12:59 PM
    I have it set to

"Post: I do not wish to receive letters"

in my online account, I'm sure I set that when I first got access. I have rung them and told them to stop sending me '0% balance transfer' mail months ago, which they still do EVERY SINGLE MONTH, I'm fairly sure they sent one to my old address 2 months after I'd changed address on their site too.

it's driving me potty, calling to complain again shortly
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 8th Aug 13, 1:01 PM
    • 1,419 Posts
    • 1,865 Thanks
    shortcrust
    • 8th Aug 13, 1:01 PM
    • 8th Aug 13, 1:01 PM
    This thread really puts my problems into perspective.
  • OverRated
    • 8th Aug 13, 1:10 PM
    • 8th Aug 13, 1:10 PM
    We had something similar with Sky. We would get two letters each week plus regular phone calls asking us "why we left". It can be a pain - I made a formal complaint with SKY (following their process) and they did stop completely after a week or two.
    • Steph312
    • By Steph312 11th Jul 14, 9:40 AM
    • 124 Posts
    • 158 Thanks
    Steph312
    • 11th Jul 14, 9:40 AM
    • 11th Jul 14, 9:40 AM
    I just rang and explained about their junk mail and they just hung up on me, so I'm going to write my complaint now.
    eBay 100 item challenge- 16/100 => £268.95

SW Start date (16/08/13) @ 134.4 lbs & BMI = 25.4
    Goal weight of 126lbs

• g6jns
    • By g6jns 11th Jul 14, 8:42 PM
    • 1,203 Posts
    • 850 Thanks
    g6jns

but they sent me regular promotional letters, and stuff which i don't wish to receive in the post

has anybody stopped them posting you stuff in the post? what was the procedure ?
    Originally posted by Galeeno
    Phone their Complaints Department on 0800-0563336 or 01452-828020 and ask them to change it. Be polite, don't rant and rave at them you will find it pays dividends.
    • GingerBob
    • By GingerBob 11th Jul 14, 10:29 PM
    • 3,614 Posts
    • 1,653 Thanks
    GingerBob

Originally posted by Galeeno
    Thanks for raising this. I've just checked my Barclaycard settings and I have "I do not wish to receive letters" in my marketing preferences, but they send me junk mail all the time. I've sent them a message asking for an explanation.
  • aidnolan
    I'm not a Barclaycard customer, so I don't have an account to specify those preferences online. Apparently emailing Barclaycard at this email address with your postal address will stop it:
    WR@barclaycard.co.uk

https://twitter.com/Barclaycard/status/217950066726543362
    • InsideInsurance
    • By InsideInsurance 11th Aug 14, 2:03 PM
    • 22,221 Posts
    • 11,386 Thanks
    InsideInsurance
    I'd like them to stop too but if they just sent it to my current address it would be nice. Moved address 5 months ago and they still send almost weekly 0% BT offers to my former address
  • aidnolan
    I'll be moving soon so that's also my concern.

That email address I've listed above worked. I got a reply within a few hours saying the following:
    "I have removed you from our marketing database with immediate effect. As with other large organisations some of our postal campaigns are produced in advance. Therefore, there is a small chance you may receive post in the next 60 days.

Just so you know, our mailing recruitment partner is CallCredit. You may wish to contact them on the details below to stop receiving offers from other providers too.
    consumer@callcreditgroup.com
    • 0870 060 1414
    • Consumer Services Team, CallCredit Limited, PO Box 491, Leeds, LS3 1WZ"
    • marginalone
    • By marginalone 13th Jan 16, 2:11 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    marginalone
    Im not a customer, never have yet I get letters from them quite often over the last year even though Im on mail preference service.

I complained, received a reply stating the complaint won't be upheld because they get info from electoral rolls and credit agencies.

They will remove my details but if companies can do this then what is the point of MPS?
    Last edited by marginalone; 13-01-2016 at 5:08 PM.
    • Semple
    • By Semple 13th Jan 16, 4:54 PM
    • 119 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    Semple
    Im not a customer, never have yet I get letters from them quite often over the last year even though Im on mail preference service.

I complained, received a letter stating the complaint won't be upheld because they get info from electoral rolls and credit agencies.

They will remove my details but if companies can do this then what is the point of MPS?
    Originally posted by marginalone
    I regularly get offers for a barclays credit card (clearly shows their desperate for customers), all i tend to do is rip it up and post it back in their pre-paid envelope. I know, doesn't achieve much, but gives me some satisfaction that they're wasting their time and money for return postage and someone opening it.

I would suspect, as i've never been a customer of Barclays that i wouldn't get very far in trying to get them to stop sending me mail.
    • marginalone
    • By marginalone 13th Jan 16, 5:02 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    marginalone
    I regularly get offers for a barclays credit card (clearly shows their desperate for customers), all i tend to do is rip it up and post it back in their pre-paid envelope. I know, doesn't achieve much, but gives me some satisfaction that they're wasting their time and money for return postage and someone opening it.

I would suspect, as i've never been a customer of Barclays that i wouldn't get very far in trying to get them to stop sending me mail.
    Originally posted by Semple

Under the 1998 Data Protection Act you can ask them to remove your details from their marketing lists.
    • PeterinScotland
    • By PeterinScotland 13th Jul 17, 12:29 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    PeterinScotland
    Exactly my experience. Advertising both personal cards and merchant card processing services and sending to my old address (vacated 9 months ago) and my current address.
    • leftfield20
    • By leftfield20 13th Jul 17, 12:51 PM
    • 118 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    leftfield20
    You can mark the mail as 'REFUSED - RTS' and put it back in the postbox, unopened. This will get returned to the marketing dept and most times places do update their database. Not sure about barclaycard though but it's worth a try. Better than just binning it because it'll just keep coming!
    • Jlawson118
    • By Jlawson118 13th Jul 17, 6:45 PM
    • 830 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    Jlawson118
    It's nice to know I'm not the only one!

I've had a credit card with them for over a year now and I still get letters, emails, mobile phone notifications of their offers and I'm with them already!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,215Posts Today

8,438Users online

Martin's Twitter