IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Washing waterproof coats
Views: 38,147
# 1
Gforce
Old 25-04-2007, 10:57 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Washing waterproof coats

Does anyone know the best way to wash waterproof coats so they don't lose their waterproofyness?
I really don't fancy paying 4 for the special wash you can buy in millets but my coat is starting to whiff!
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
Pink.
Old 25-04-2007, 11:31 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Hi Gforce,

These older threads might help:

washing waterproofs?

Can I rescue my Goretex jacket - I think I've killed it!

How to Clean Muddy Waterproof Trousers?

Pink
Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the In My Home (Includes DIY), I wanna buy-it or do-it, Greenfingered MoneySaving and Old Style MoneySaving boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pink. For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Gforce
Old 28-04-2007, 9:19 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks for the links, I must be rubbish at searching cos I didn't see any of these!
# 4
KittyBoo
Old 06-01-2008, 1:00 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Washing waterproof jacket

I have recently bought a Regatta waterproof, breathable jacket and it's getting ready for a wash.
On the label it says to use their special washing liquid and not to use normal detergent.
The stuff rom our local outdoor shop is really expensive and as I am looking for ways of not spending any more money I don't want to have to buy this unless absolutely necessary.
However I don't want to ruin the jacket either.
Will I ruin the absorbency of the coat if I use ny normal wash powder?
NSK Zombie # SFD 7/15 Food Bank 0/5
Food
73.57/122 (incl. pet food)
Petrol 20/40
Exercise 2/15 Outings 1/2
Debt 18,917
The Following User Says Thank You to KittyBoo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
spookycat
Old 06-01-2008, 1:05 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I have a ski jacket, Helly Hansen, which has complicated instructions for washing as well. I put on a 30degree short wash, on it's own, with my normal powder (Ecover) and spin as normal, then I place it on a clothes hanger and hang on the line to air dry. Never had a problem with mine.
# 6
whatatwit
Old 06-01-2008, 1:18 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Make sure you don't use too much powder.....voice of experience.....I turned into Mrs Snow once having washed my waterproofs that I wear for golf, and then getting caught in the rain. Everywhere you touched the things, bubbles appeared....it looked very fetching between my legs.

If it can be tumble dried, then this usually helps to re-activate the waterproofing.
Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whatatwit For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
finallydebtfree!!
Old 06-01-2008, 1:21 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

A girl I work with went on a outdoor clothing course and was told if you need to wash a waterproof jacket do not put any detergent in the washing machine
finally debt free and want to keep it that way!!
# 8
dlb
Old 06-01-2008, 1:33 PM

My husband used to work for a outdoor clothing store selling such jackets.
He always told me to use soap flakes rather than the expensive treatments which are just a ploy to make you spend more, we have washed all our waterproofs like this for ages and never had a problem, about once a year we buy the reproofer spray and a bottle can reproof about 4 adult size jackets.
Proud to be DEBT FREE AT LAST
# 9
Olliebeak
Old 06-01-2008, 5:07 PM

Ordinary soap powder wouldn't do your jacket's waterproofing much good at all. You could perhaps 'spot-clean' if it isn't too dirty. Sometimes 'dry-brushing' the jacket with a nail brush helps to get off some of the usual muck associated with outdoor activities - my OH has come back covered in all kinds of mud/cowpats etc from his hillwalking/rambling and this often works but you need to make sure that the jacket is dry before you have a go or it will just get smeared even worse - remove the bulk of any 'gungey stuff' first using kitchen roll if necessary.

There was a thing on the freebie board for some free Nikwax treatment a while back - may be worthwhile having a look to see if it's still there. Or check out the Nikwax website to see if they do samples from there.

I've just had a look and at the moment they appear to be giving away shoe/boot treatments for answering a few questions.

http://www.nikwax.com/en-us/webquiz/index.php

Always worth keeping an eye on that site to see what they'll offer next!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Olliebeak For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
shammyjack
Old 07-01-2008, 10:28 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlb View Post
My husband used to work for a outdoor clothing store selling such jackets.
He always told me to use soap flakes rather than the expensive treatments which are just a ploy to make you spend more, we have washed all our waterproofs like this for ages and never had a problem, about once a year we buy the reproofer spray and a bottle can reproof about 4 adult size jackets.
I second this. I always wash waterproofs and delicates by hand using Lux Soap Flakes or generic brand soap flakes, rinse well by hand and then a short spin . Put the waterproof outside to blow dry on the line on a coat hanger and you will not need to re proof !

shammy
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shammyjack For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
culpepper
Old 07-01-2008, 10:34 AM

Ive been ding the nikwax quizes for about 3 years and they always send you some product when you answer all 10 questions correctly(as many goes as you want till you get them right and clues for every question). Each 3months you can do it again. You cant choose what they send you but if you do a lot of outdoor activity its worth doing to have some in hand.
The Following User Says Thank You to culpepper For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
beetrootjuicer
Old 07-01-2008, 2:56 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatatwit View Post
Make sure you don't use too much powder.....voice of experience.....I turned into Mrs Snow once having washed my waterproofs that I wear for golf, and then getting caught in the rain. Everywhere you touched the things, bubbles appeared....it looked very fetching between my legs.
Sorry, whatatwit, can't help it, best laugh I've had for ages. Thanks, for sharing it with us. Just what I needed on a miserable January day!
The Following User Says Thank You to beetrootjuicer For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
KittyBoo
Old 08-01-2008, 5:26 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks for your rep;ies.
Very useful and amusing too.
NSK Zombie # SFD 7/15 Food Bank 0/5
Food
73.57/122 (incl. pet food)
Petrol 20/40
Exercise 2/15 Outings 1/2
Debt 18,917
# 14
natc
Old 04-08-2009, 1:21 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Best cheapest way to was waterproofs

My oh needs his waterproof jacket washing before we go camping this week, we dont have any special washing powder, and dont really want to go out and spend god knows how much pn fancy products like that! (and also will not have the time )

Its not really mucky, he only wore it once to do the 3 peaks, but said he got sweaty in it and wants it washing!

Read some posts on here earlier about washing waterproofs in washing machine on low heat and short wash and hanging dry. Or, washing with soap flakes? Whats the best way to wash it, without damaging it? Is it a stupid question to ask whether soda crystals will be any good?!!!!
Married my gorgeous man on 22nd Sept 2012
Now Mrs Newsome
# 15
frivolous_fay
Old 04-08-2009, 1:24 PM

What's it made of?
My TV is broken!
Edit: refunded 515 for TV 1.5 years out of warranty - thank you Sale of Goods Act!
# 16
Bitsy Beans
Old 04-08-2009, 1:26 PM

I would just use very little washing powder on a cool wash.
I have a gift for enraging people, but if I ever bore you it'll be with a knife Louise Brooks

All will be well in the end. If it's not well, it's not the end.

Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars
# 17
natc
Old 04-08-2009, 1:32 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Oooh im not sure what its made of....will check, i know its a regatta jacket....

I was thinking of just doing that bitsy. You done this?
Now Mrs Newsome
# 18
Bitsy Beans
Old 04-08-2009, 1:33 PM

I have and they've still turned out to be waterproof.
I have a gift for enraging people, but if I ever bore you it'll be with a knife Louise Brooks

All will be well in the end. If it's not well, it's not the end.

Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars
# 19
natc
Old 04-08-2009, 1:44 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Ooooh thanks Bitsey, will just give that a try, a tad bit of washing powder. Thank you.
Now Mrs Newsome
# 20
Pink.
Old 04-08-2009, 1:54 PM

Hi natc,

I washed my Regatta jacket recently on a short wash with normal powder and it's lost it's waterproofing so be careful, it doesn't work for everyone. There's an earlier thread with more advice that should help so I'll add your thread to it to keep the suggestions together.

Pink
Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the In My Home (Includes DIY), I wanna buy-it or do-it, Greenfingered MoneySaving and Old Style MoneySaving boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.