Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning > Can you take a jar of jam on a plane? Seriously (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Can you take a jar of jam on a plane? Seriously
Closed Thread
Views: 6,126
# 1
WOW Factor 0
spudilydoodah
Old 25-04-2007, 10:21 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Can you take a jar of jam on a plane? Seriously

I've looked on a few websites and nowhere does it specify jam as an item you can't take on planes - however it does say gels and substances of a similar consistency - anybody know. I have one jar of marmalade to take to a friend and only want to take hand luggage.
Thanks
# 2
franklally
Old 25-04-2007, 10:42 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I had 2 jars of jam taken off me by security at Stansted in january - so no is the answer
The Following User Says Thank You to franklally For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
vsumouse
Old 25-04-2007, 11:26 AM
MoneySaving Convert

i had my jam jars taken off me also, but i couldnt see where the plane was so they gave me them back.

anyways whos your friend? paddington bear?

(on a more sensible note: just post your jam jar, will be less hassle and you will cut the jars carbon footprint to nothing)
The Following User Says Thank You to vsumouse For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Ria
Old 25-04-2007, 11:40 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I want to take some good wine glasses out to the Canary Islands as I can't seem to find anything decent there. What are my chances of getting them through as hand luggage? Anyone know?
The Following User Says Thank You to Ria For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
dzug
Old 25-04-2007, 11:54 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria View Post
I want to take some good wine glasses out to the Canary Islands as I can't seem to find anything decent there. What are my chances of getting them through as hand luggage? Anyone know?

Wouldn't have thought there was any problem, size permitting - but best check with the airline or on the BAAwebsite to be sure.
The Following User Says Thank You to dzug For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Engadine
Old 25-04-2007, 12:04 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudilydoodah View Post
I've looked on a few websites and nowhere does it specify jam as an item you can't take on planes - however it does say gels and substances of a similar consistency - anybody know. I have one jar of marmalade to take to a friend and only want to take hand luggage.
Thanks
Marmalade will be classed as a liquid/gel so will be subject to the restrictions in place at the moment. The only way you will get it through is if it is less than 100ml, that is currently the max amount per liquid/gel item that you are allowed, anything larger than 100ml gets confiscated.
The Following User Says Thank You to Engadine For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Engadine
Old 25-04-2007, 12:06 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria View Post
You should be fine with wine glasses, as long as they fit in your hand luggage. My dad recently took a dvd player to Spain as hand luggage without any problems.
# 8
MickMack
Old 25-04-2007, 12:32 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsumouse View Post
i had my jam jars taken off me also, but i couldnt see where the plane was so they gave me them back.

anyways whos your friend? paddington bear?

(on a more sensible note: just post your jam jar, will be less hassle and you will cut the jars carbon footprint to nothing)
!!!Unrelated But!!!!

So how does posting it make its carbon footprint zero???

Even if the postman carried it the whole way in his bag, he would still be producing carbon-dioxide when he breathes, basically we're all DOOMED :-O

Id guess that delivering a pot of jab was not the only reason that spudilydoodah was planning on taking a flight, but thats only a guess.

What you could do is buy a loaf of bread, and spread the jam, nice and thick, between each slice of the loaf. I'm sure you can take a loaf on the plane, cant you!!!!

Other ideas are more drastic, sorry not helpful i know!
The Following User Says Thank You to MickMack For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
martindow
Old 25-04-2007, 1:20 PM

I would put the jam in the checked in luggage. Wrap it well with bubble wrap and a taped up plastic bag and roll it up in clothing. Clothes are a perfect packaging material and it should be fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to martindow For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
ukdoctor
Old 25-04-2007, 3:09 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I had the same dilemma with Krispy Kreeme doughnuts some time ago.

See my thread

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....html?t=397309

It has a few useful link regarding foodstuffs in plane. Its the liquid content that matters. I dont know what the cut off is but I managed to take the doughnuts with me.

Marmalade does look like gel anyway so I doubt if you can take it.
# 11
sooz
Old 25-04-2007, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engadine View Post
Marmalade will be classed as a liquid/gel so will be subject to the restrictions in place at the moment. The only way you will get it through is if it is less than 100ml, that is currently the max amount per liquid/gel item that you are allowed, anything larger than 100ml gets confiscated.
but you could take quite a few 100ml pots in the small clear 1 litre bag. do they do sample pots of the marmalade you want to take?

(or maybe you could freeze it, and then it's solid not liquid? )......when i travelled last month i had to taste 6 bottle of water for making the baby's milk, but forgot the one ready made bottle that he'd not finished in the taxi! oops. i was dragged off to the side, and made to drink SMA............eerugh!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to sooz For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
djl
Old 25-04-2007, 4:35 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I would think like liquids it would have to be under 100 ml
2014 wins 37.00
2013 83.00 2012 601.50
2011 1554.50 2010 698.00 2009 2793.00
2008 2816.00 2007 1034.00
The Following User Says Thank You to djl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
never enough
Old 25-04-2007, 4:50 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Not as hand luggage, but fine in checked in luggage. A friend had some confiscated recently flying from Gatwick.
The Following User Says Thank You to never enough For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
Sazere
Old 25-04-2007, 5:11 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Send a message via AIM to Sazere Send a message via MSN to Sazere
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooz View Post
(or maybe you could freeze it, and then it's solid not liquid? )......when i travelled last month i had to taste 6 bottle of water for making the baby's milk, but forgot the one ready made bottle that he'd not finished in the taxi! oops. i was dragged off to the side, and made to drink SMA............eerugh!!!
Ha Ha, we're going next month - I wonder if you would have to taste expressed b/milk? Might rush through security with the kids and leave hubby with the baby and the milk! Will he be brave enough to taste
# 15
sooz
Old 25-04-2007, 5:36 PM

i think you can have the baby try it too, but i was left on my own, so i was made to drink it....they'd all gone off to duty free and left me!
# 16
black-saturn
Old 25-04-2007, 5:41 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Doubly Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Last time I went on a plane in december they were putting all liquid and gel substances into clear carrier bags after checking them all. The ones who were having stuff like that checked had to wait in a queue for ages.
The Following User Says Thank You to black-saturn For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
jetboy
Old 25-04-2007, 5:44 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

not that long ago they were making people taste baby products including expressed milk! Not sure if that's been relaxed. Contrary to what the DFT would have you believe airports all still have variations in these policies putting an element of luck in your travel plans.They all however stick to the 100ml liquid rule. Technically, with regard to the marmalade you cannot use a container designed for over 100ml and just leave 100ml in it. The container must hold 100ml or less. The sample pots sounds like a good idea.
Timmay!
The Following User Says Thank You to jetboy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
sooz
Old 25-04-2007, 5:46 PM

we went in the same queue as everyone else at heathrow with all our water and milk, but don't worry, even if they do make you or you OH try expressed milk, you don't have to down it!! i was allowed to put a couple of drops on the back of my hand and lick it...even though the SMA was still icky! (not entirely sure why the baby likes it, but he does and wont drink any other brand....i'd had to stop breast feeding for that trip, due to all the vaccinations....such a shame as it would have been a lot easier and cheaper....)
The Following User Says Thank You to sooz For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
horace
Old 25-04-2007, 10:25 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I am bemused by airport security.
One cannot carry pointed objects such as scissors, nail files etc but I am often (not always) given a stainless steel knife, fork and spoon for the in flight meal!!!! Stupid or worse??

Yes, it does get worse.

As weapons go if you were a determined terrorist bent on hi jacking a flight what would you consider to be the difference between a pair of scissors and a ballpoint pen?

Careful, as my mother used to say, you will have someone`s eye out with that.

P.S It`s not the jam it`s the glass container which is the problem.

horace.
# 20
DUKE
Old 25-04-2007, 10:52 PM

They took my water from me and my lighters - which I couldn't really understand as I could buy more when I got to the other side :confused: I think they just want you to spend money
Closed Thread