IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Need not Want.
Views: 56,265
# 41
365days
Old 31-12-2012, 10:15 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummy2threeboys View Post
Oh perfect thread for me too, Hope i can join in. I do have some needs for January to declare

4 suits for the children/hubby..but this might only be partial suits and just a jacket for dh as i have been given some just need to see if they fit!

Draw fixing things new runners and save a base..wardrobe completely broken to bits.

wants..new winter coat 7 years old and 4 pregnancys later its looking worse for wear however still ok for another winter or two.

Good luck all xx
Welcome aboard
Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 365days For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 42
365days
Old 31-12-2012, 10:21 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I don't want to get into dosing etc for paracetomal if any one reading is in any doubt I suggest asking NHS direct or their GP. Good idea for my hoofing preteen who finds swallowing half tablets hard. However brand medicine is horrifically overpriced. Every time i see someone buying nurofen i want to shout 'Don't do it!!'

So to get it back on track. Nurofen = want Ibobrufen = need.
Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 365days For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 43
FireWyrm
Old 31-12-2012, 10:35 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 365days View Post
I don't want to get into dosing etc for paracetomal if any one reading is in any doubt I suggest asking NHS direct or their GP. Good idea for my hoofing preteen who finds swallowing half tablets hard. However brand medicine is horrifically overpriced. Every time i see someone buying nurofen i want to shout 'Don't do it!!'

So to get it back on track. Nurofen = want Ibobrufen = need.
Actually, I can't swallow tablets either. I do without or crush them.
Debt free by Aug 15 or bust. Outstanding debt £11,397 £9550 £8690
Meet my new best friend : YNAB (you need a budget)
My other best friend is a filofax.
Do or do not, there is no try....Yoda.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FireWyrm For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 44
maxheadroom
Old 31-12-2012, 10:43 AM
MoneySaving Convert

The standard paracetamol tablet you buy over the counter in the UK contains 500mg (not 100mg as you assert in you previous post)

Doing what you suggest may be ok for a 'hoofing preteen' it really is not OK for babies, toddlers and preschoolers there is a significant risk of chronic overdose due to their size.

I did not say buy a brand, thats plain stupid, just buy a cheap generic suspension - they are often not on display as their is less profit on them may have to ask a pharmacy counter (which the last time i bought some lacked colouring - presumably because that adds cost)

I'll leave it at that

Last edited by maxheadroom; 31-12-2012 at 10:46 AM.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to maxheadroom For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 45
Ilona
Old 31-12-2012, 12:35 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I need to pay my mortgage, house insurance, council tax, gas, electricity, and water. Need to pay for dentistry. Need to buy food for me and my cats, and pay their vet bills. Everything else is a want.
Ilona
Don't go into debt for Christmas. Say NO.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ilona For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 46
LittleMissGiggles123
Old 31-12-2012, 1:24 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

The idea for this thread is a great one. We all have that something sitting in our house that we bought because we 'needed' it.

I've got a ridiculous amount of almost identical black shoes in my house, that I 'needed' because one had a slightly higher heel than the other, was a different material, a slightly different shade of black (??) or any other silly reason that I used to convince myself I needed them.

In reality I only need one pair of black shoes & thats the pair I wear to work. In fact it's the pair that I wear most often because they not only look smart enough for work, but also look good with some jeans & a nice top for going out. And even more silly of me is, these shoes were bought around 6 years ago, I've bought at least 10 more pairs of black shoes since then but still go back to this 6 year old pair of black shoes.

So I will be following this thread & my only New Years Resolution this year is to think about things before I buy them, do I need them or do I want them? I think I already know what the answer will be most of the time.

As for need, I think I'm all set at the moment. Bills come out tomorrow (or wednesday because of bank holiday) but I actually don't need anything this month. Milk gets delivered (cheaper than supermarket bought), loads of food in freezer & cupboards. Only thing I will need this month is bread throughout the month to make my daughters packed lunch for school when they go back.

x
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to LittleMissGiggles123 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 47
kerri gt
Old 31-12-2012, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsM1982 View Post
Hi everyone,

I need to live by this rule for 2013!!!

I have 3 children age 6, 3 and 4 month and they had so many toys for Christmas and they already have loads to. They just ended up with so much that they didn't know what to play with and I don't think they appriated it. So I've already decided that next year will be different, I've got a lot of debt to get rid of and I don't want spoilt kids!!
Deff suggest ebay or a car boot for unwanted toys - my niece has a ton of toys and my brother freely admits they've bought none of them new, either a few from car boots, or ones given to them by other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie2710 View Post
I have just realised I need to go the supermarket today and this is always a bit dangerous for me so I am going to put here what I need!

Milk 2 pints
Bread 1 loaf
Chicken wings (for the dog)
Some form of potato shapes/chips
Coffee
Hot chocolate
Some form of chicken nuggets (for the boys)

Ok that's is all I need! I will have the boys with me which should help limit the time spent in there and therefore the risk factor!
I'll see how I get on!
i saw the recipie for chicken nuggets a while back on this thread - how about getting the kids to help make them as well? cooking is a great way to keep them entertained, plus they learn valuable life skills - and before anyone panics about them dealing with raw meat (assuming they are old enough) explain to them that they mustn't lick their hands while cooking (applies to all cooking ) and ensure they wash their hands when finished (again, applies to all cooking).

Love the idea of this thread btw - adding subscription now.
Dec 2014 NSD Challenge 7/??
NOV NSD 9/12
OCT NSD 15/15 SEPT NSD 17/15 AUG NSD 17/14

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kerri gt For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 48
365days
Old 31-12-2012, 3:19 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

About to go shopping to Al2i's. There is NOTHING i need from the middle sections. Nothing. Even that amazing 'thing' that's half price. I NEED nothing except prelisted food/cat litter etc. There. I've put it out there. I will confess if I'm lured to the middle sections!
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to 365days For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 49
FireWyrm
Old 31-12-2012, 4:35 PM

I avoid the advertising channels for the same reason, you know the ones, that brilliant steam cleaner gizmo and the mop that goes round corners, the slippers that polish the floor etc.

We don't NEED them but it's hard to resist sometimes. If you've ever watched advertising closely, they are masters of psychology and even though I've managed to mop the floor for most of my life without needing a poly-micro fibre stretchable thingy, I still feel myself considering the idea.

Just popped into Aldi and walked out with under £10 worth of groceries...think I'm doing well.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to FireWyrm For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 50
digging
Old 31-12-2012, 4:47 PM
MoneySaving Convert

My zip broke on my work trousers before christmas, then my last pair zip was sticking so I waited for the sales as I 'need' a couple of pairs for work. Over christmas however I had a huge clear out of my clothes (got rid of 5 big bin bags full) and found 6 pairs of black work trousers at the bac of the wardrobe! I no longer 'need' them.

I do however need diesel for the car £50 should fill it up and do the whole month as I don't work too far away and will need fresh food. (cupboards and freezer are packed with non - perishables).

January is going to be a 'need' only month. Although if we get into it, do I 'need' fresh food like bread milk and fruit etc? or do I 'want' it? I say I 'need' it, although do I need a cup of tea? or do I want a cup of tea? maybe I don't 'need' milk - or maybe I do 'need' the calcium...or maybe I'm thinking too much about it now. ok I decided I do 'need' milk (for the calcium of course)

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to digging For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 51
life unexpected
Old 31-12-2012, 5:22 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Love the idea of this thread. I read Not buying it: My Year without shopping a couple of years ago and this inspired me to try something similar but I found it hard to stick to with having a fashion led consumerist DD. Though she is now at an age were she is starting to understand the value of money and as we now have OH debt to pay off thinks we all need to have the attitude of do I need it or want it.

OH needs new trainers as he runs marathons and old ones are now causing him to sustain injuries. Although he can get these with money he got a Christmas.

Other than this, food,petrol and the normal living expenses(i.e rent, water, etc) we only need food which I will order on line to stop OH adding treats to it, such as the odd bottle of wine.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to life unexpected For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 52
365days
Old 31-12-2012, 5:48 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Nothing bought from the middle sections Only things bought that weren't on list was a reduced gammon joint and reduced sausage rolls both already in freeezer. Have everything I need and more foodwise (except catfood) for the week and it came to under £30.

There really is so little I need.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to 365days For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 53
FireWyrm
Old 31-12-2012, 6:22 PM

Does a new Filofax for organisational purposes count as need or want?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FireWyrm For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 54
365days
Old 31-12-2012, 6:34 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireWyrm View Post
Does a new Filofax for organisational purposes count as need or want?
Hmm tricky. Do you use a filofax currently and is it worn out. In that case I would say it was a need.

If you just fancy one over a notebook it's a want !
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 365days For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 55
FireWyrm
Old 31-12-2012, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 365days View Post
Hmm tricky. Do you use a filofax currently and is it worn out. In that case I would say it was a need.

If you just fancy one over a notebook it's a want !
I've never had one before, but since my mobile is almost never charged (no one rings me anyway) I don't use the apps and features on it much. On the other hand, I've used notebooks over the years and it never quite seems to work for me. I liked the idea of being able to write down spending, plan meals, shopping lists, todo and want lists without having to carry more pieces of paper or books than necessary. A pocket one is £21 on Amazon. How does everyone else do it? Just notebooks, or do you have proper organisation books? I'm just sick of kids functions sneaking up on me and suddenly finding out I have to pay something to the school for some activity without having known about it...like a sneaky 'no uniform' day etc.

I live and die by shopping lists now, but have no central place for them. They kind of end up literally written on the back of envelopes and stuff.

I also want to plan the decoration of two new rooms, one for a new addition and the other for DDs.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FireWyrm For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 56
mildredalien
Old 31-12-2012, 6:53 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
I've never had one before, but since my mobile is almost never charged (no one rings me anyway) I don't use the apps and features on it much.
Would it be cheaper to charge your phone and use it? No-one has to ring you for it to be worth using your mobile! There's loads of great list and notebook features you can get, and it won't cost you anything extra. Technically you don't NEED a filofax if you have a perfectly serviceable way to keep track of things that you just don't use. If you never even take your phone anywhere with you however, why not sell it and get a filofax instead? Tape a 50p in the back of the filofax for a phone box and you'll be sorted

I'm definitely going to ask myself the 'do I NEED this?' question this year. There's lots of things I want, but my priority is saving for some trips away this year and if I want to afford those and keep my savings up (and not get into debt again) then I must practice saying no to other things I want! I picked up two tops in the sales on Saturday and managed to put them back - if there's one thing my overstuffed wardrobe doesn't need it's more clothes

Savings target: 7513/15000
Sealed Pot Challenge 7: 2014 - #085

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mildredalien For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 57
rising from the ashes
Old 31-12-2012, 7:09 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie2710 View Post
I might look at off cuts from the butcher. Not sure how likely they are to be cheaper. I only have a small dog and he has a completely raw meat diet. The chicken wings cost me £2 for the week so much cheaper than dog food.
I've been thinking about raw ... can I ask what other things you give him?
TIA

If you have a Morr*isons near, they have a huge selection of various things great for a raw diet & very cheap - unfortunately not one near me!
Starting again - back on the frugal MSE journey
Groceries & Toiletries: Annual £2080
CCP claim success!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rising from the ashes For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 58
FireWyrm
Old 31-12-2012, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildredalien View Post
Would it be cheaper to charge your phone and use it? No-one has to ring you for it to be worth using your mobile! There's loads of great list and notebook features you can get, and it won't cost you anything extra. Technically you don't NEED a filofax if you have a perfectly serviceable way to keep track of things that you just don't use. If you never even take your phone anywhere with you however, why not sell it and get a filofax instead? Tape a 50p in the back of the filofax for a phone box and you'll be sorted

I'm definitely going to ask myself the 'do I NEED this?' question this year. There's lots of things I want, but my priority is saving for some trips away this year and if I want to afford those and keep my savings up (and not get into debt again) then I must practice saying no to other things I want! I picked up two tops in the sales on Saturday and managed to put them back - if there's one thing my overstuffed wardrobe doesn't need it's more clothes
The stupid phone is a contract. I got it when I had a job that required me to be in contact with customers and it was expensed, but have since left that and moved 'in house' so don't talk to customers anymore. I find that the silly thing keeps running out of charge anyway, so there's no chance of just playing on it since it leaks juice from the second you take it off charge.

The main reason for thinking along these lines is that I'm a 'scribbler' and I tend to draw things and find that I have to fill in the GTD apps the way the programmer thinks they should be done, not the way I want to. Perhaps in a few years when tablets evolve a little, this functionality will become more widespread and portable, but although I'm in the technology field, I havnt yet found technology that meets my expectations...basically, I'm using paper right now, it's just scrap rather than with some sort of organisation.

Actually, digging back through the emails from late last year, I have a voucher from Amazon earned when I closed my card with them.

I'm going to go for it. It's just a one off thing.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FireWyrm For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 59
kerri gt
Old 31-12-2012, 7:25 PM

Quote:
I've never had one before, but since my mobile is almost never charged (no one rings me anyway) I don't use the apps and features on it much. On the other hand, I've used notebooks over the years and it never quite seems to work for me. I liked the idea of being able to write down spending, plan meals, shopping lists, todo and want lists without having to carry more pieces of paper or books than necessary. A pocket one is £21 on Amazon. How does everyone else do it? Just notebooks, or do you have proper organisation books? I'm just sick of kids functions sneaking up on me and suddenly finding out I have to pay something to the school for some activity without having known about it...like a sneaky 'no uniform' day etc.

I live and die by shopping lists now, but have no central place for them. They kind of end up literally written on the back of envelopes and stuff.

I also want to plan the decoration of two new rooms, one for a new addition and the other for DDs.
I have a little black notebook that I keep in my handbag (no comments please ) which I use for lists and notes to refer to when I'm out. Apart from that I keep spreadsheets for budgets / spends / payments on my laptop.

Do you use Outlook or similar? Perhaps start utilising the calendar function for keeping a note of forthcoming activities and a notebook for other lists (I bet you have at least one lying about) You could even have one book for everyday lists, and another for longer term / bigger projects. The benefit of having these in separate books is then you're not carrying around everything all of the time - it's amazing how heavy things like a filofax can get.
Dec 2014 NSD Challenge 7/??
NOV NSD 9/12
OCT NSD 15/15 SEPT NSD 17/15 AUG NSD 17/14

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kerri gt For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 60
rising from the ashes
Old 31-12-2012, 7:33 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerri gt View Post
I have a little black notebook that I keep in my handbag (no comments please ) which I use for lists and notes to refer to when I'm out. Apart from that I keep spreadsheets for budgets / spends / payments on my laptop.

Do you use Outlook or similar? Perhaps start utilising the calendar function for keeping a note of forthcoming activities and a notebook for other lists (I bet you have at least one lying about) You could even have one book for everyday lists, and another for longer term / bigger projects. The benefit of having these in separate books is then you're not carrying around everything all of the time - it's amazing how heavy things like a filofax can get.
Ahhhh Kerri *sigh* this makes so much sense to me!

I've just bought a "to do list" notebook but forgot to double check the size / weight and it's far too big / heavy to carry around so I decided I'd use that one for Sat & Sun and bought a little A6 spiral notebook to carry around for Mon - Fri .... BUT I've hit problems already as some things are in the Sat / Sun book and I think about them when I'm not near it and can't check!

Currently thinking I'll have to re-date the A6 everyday notebook to incl Sat & Sun (oh joy!)

I do use Outlook and tend to keep "reminders" in my one at work but this showed a huge issue when I went on long term sick ..... so ... back to the notebooks for me!

Must think of something to do with the big "to do" list book ... might use it as a shopping list but that seems a bit of a waste
Starting again - back on the frugal MSE journey
Groceries & Toiletries: Annual £2080
CCP claim success!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rising from the ashes For This Useful Post: Show me >>