IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Need not Want.
Views: 56,144
# 481
minicooper272
Old 20-02-2013, 9:50 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzen View Post
There seems to be 1copy going on fleabay for 99p at the mo but I'm going to be super MSE and borrow from my library. If I find it useful then I might buy but I've got a whole stack of cookbooks and def do not NEED any more!
Oh, I never think of the library! I have purchased a copy of the book. It wasn't too bad at £3.60... I might have a look-see at the library this weekend though.

Oh, also thanks for all the tips people gave me for that series - I suddenly jinxed (or whatever the opposite is) as all 4 seasons became available on N£tflix yesterday. I already subscribe to Netflix, so getting my money's worth!
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to minicooper272 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 482
Katzen
Old 20-02-2013, 9:58 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by minicooper272 View Post
Oh, I never think of the library! I have purchased a copy of the book. It wasn't too bad at £3.60... I might have a look-see at the library this weekend though.
i know, I always forget the library too, only went back this month as I joined a book club who meet in there and remembered how good it is. I love books but my shelves are groaning and it does seem like a waste of paper to buy ones I will only read once. Also discovered mine do e-book loans online and I've just borrowed an audio book as I like them for on the sunlounger on hols. Was however disappointed to discover DVD rentals are 2.60pw, if we borrowed a box set, assuming it takes at least 2weeks to watch, it would be cheaper to get a subscription to a streaming service or buy them cheap on fleabay. That said, plenty of books, plenty of knitting, radio to listen to and tv online we do not NEED to spend any money on dvds just yet
2013- Needs not Wants
Sale completed 7/6/13 Starting LTV 90%(plus fees) Current 89.4% £151,924.19
Goal #1 savings £1212.75/£1000
Dec GC £75.62/150 NSD 0/15 Gym 0/5 AFD in December?!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Katzen For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 483
The Boss
Old 21-02-2013, 10:18 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Not sure if this one is a need or a want, so must be more of a want. A new pair of cushioned trainers is on the agenda and I have decided to oblige but only after losing 12lbs. Rewarding myself for staying motivated.
You don't have a "credit score". They do not exist. The number you are referring to is a a random number produced by the credit reference agency using incomplete data to make money out of you.

Different lenders score applications for different financial products differently so there is no 'catch all' score that determines your credit worthiness. Lenders use data from your credit file and also data from your application form that is NOT recorded on your credit file, such as your salary (a key driver), when assessing your application. Different lenders have different criteria, another reason a "credit score" means nothing -data that is considered good for one lender may be considered bad for another. Or vice versa.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to The Boss For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 484
catshark88
Old 21-02-2013, 8:11 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
Not sure if this one is a need or a want, so must be more of a want. A new pair of cushioned trainers is on the agenda and I have decided to oblige but only after losing 12lbs. Rewarding myself for staying motivated.
I think that rewarding yourself for very definite hard work & achievement, is a fine plan.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to catshark88 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 485
minicooper272
Old 21-02-2013, 9:31 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Went to buy a new laptop after work today (need), and annoyingly the transaction was declined. My bank seems to think it's a fraudulent transaction, and has now blocked my card...

I was really gutted when I got home to find a red royal mail slip on the doormat for a missed package, after I paid an extra £1.50 for next day delivery! But the slip said 'it's in the meter box!', so I braved my arachnophobia to get my new shampoo out, and I'm so excited for showering tomorrow morning! Is it really sad that it's on a par with how excited I'd feel on Christmas Eve as a child?
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to minicooper272 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 486
Katzen
Old 21-02-2013, 9:57 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
Could also be viewed as a need Boss, new shoes are a lot cheaper than new knees! Good luck with the weightloss, hope you manage it soon and enjoy those trainers
2013- Needs not Wants
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Katzen For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 487
365days
Old 22-02-2013, 5:42 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to 365days For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 488
Katzen
Old 22-02-2013, 7:57 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Love it 365! Got some more of my shizzle on fleabay this week. Was going to spend my gains on some wool at big discount but the store at my mums doesn't stock it so I've been prevented from spending. guess it will just have to go in my car insurance fund then!
2013- Needs not Wants
# 489
minicooper272
Old 22-02-2013, 8:36 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I hear it's a free listing weekend this weekend (can't remember if anyone said it in this forum or not).

Time to list those items I want more than 99p for!
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to minicooper272 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 490
minicooper272
Old 23-02-2013, 4:19 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I must stop going near town at the weekends! I go because I need one or two things, or because I'm bored and want a nosey in the charity shops...

I had to pay for parking today (I usually walk), then I went a little nuts on yet more toiletries and some cookies from M&S. It's not anything I won't use at least, but just need to get out of this habit of buying things just while I'm there.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to minicooper272 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 491
Katzen
Old 23-02-2013, 5:59 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by minicooper272 View Post
I must stop going near town at the weekends! I go because I need one or two things, or because I'm bored and want a nosey in the charity shops...

I had to pay for parking today (I usually walk), then I went a little nuts on yet more toiletries and some cookies from M&S. It's not anything I won't use at least, but just need to get out of this habit of buying things just while I'm there.
Its a dangerous game that mini! I hardly ever go to town as we can get most of what we need out of town but did pop in last week and struggled to behave. Did find a trip to the library satisfied my urge to come home with something in my hands though!
2013- Needs not Wants
# 492
Katzen
Old 24-02-2013, 9:39 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I have been sooooooo good this weekend and have to share...
Been in Leeds visiting my parents. Mum and I enjoy lots of crafting things and, as always, spent the weekend in craft shops and at a papercraft workshop; and I only bought one scrapbook album and some glue with my Christmas money from my Nana- and nothing else, not even wool! Did manage to get my wool fix as Mum bought me some for my birthday but didn't indulge in any other wool and knitting bits or pretty papers, stamps, glitter or buttons. I don't know if any of the rest of you are crafters, but if you are you will understand how major this is! And if you're not, feel free to mock me
2013- Needs not Wants
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Katzen For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 493
minicooper272
Old 25-02-2013, 6:52 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Well done Katzen! I wish I had your restraint! I keep wanting to get in to crafts, so don't quite sympathise, but I can understand it! I can still persuade myself it's a waste of money as I'll never use it... But it's a great hobby to have.

I don't feel like a slept much at all last night, even though I did sleep solidly for the whole 8 hours. I was so exhausted I needed a caffeine fix, and I had to buy a diet coke (don't drink coffee). I regretted it, because it left me starving and craving sugar, and I spent a further £1.20 on sweets to get the sugar hit Early night and no sweeteners tomorrow!
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to minicooper272 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 494
MissMelLady
Old 25-02-2013, 7:06 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I got a permanent marker and wrote on my Debit and Credit card: "DYNI?"
(Do you need it?) that way whenever I take my card out to purchase an impulse buy it makes me think...

Sealed Pot Challenge #2035 £40.70
Weekly Spend Challenge w/c 10th November - £3.90/£30.00
Debt free since 17/10/2013
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MissMelLady For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 495
catshark88
Old 25-02-2013, 8:14 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMelLady View Post
I got a permanent marker and wrote on my Debit and Credit card: "DYNI?"
(Do you need it?) that way whenever I take my card out to purchase an impulse buy it makes me think...
What a great idea!
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to catshark88 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 496
flyinggiraffe
Old 25-02-2013, 9:39 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I do not need festival tickets

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to flyinggiraffe For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 497
Skint but Optimistic
Old 26-02-2013, 11:31 AM

Well, I dont want to spend anymore money but I suppose I need to. A filling has come out and you know what that means!
Debt free date March 2019 February 2019- working on it! Focus - P2P Central heating saved - £58.77/ 3500 Last paid in full - Vanquis Working towards a future where I am not paying for the past!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Skint but Optimistic For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 498
The Boss
Old 26-02-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzen View Post
Could also be viewed as a need Boss, new shoes are a lot cheaper than new knees! Good luck with the weightloss, hope you manage it soon and enjoy those trainers

Tis true, but I have a fair few pairs that are newish. I am only 8 pounds from my target now so will be forking out by mid March with any luck.
You don't have a "credit score". They do not exist. The number you are referring to is a a random number produced by the credit reference agency using incomplete data to make money out of you.

Different lenders score applications for different financial products differently so there is no 'catch all' score that determines your credit worthiness. Lenders use data from your credit file and also data from your application form that is NOT recorded on your credit file, such as your salary (a key driver), when assessing your application. Different lenders have different criteria, another reason a "credit score" means nothing -data that is considered good for one lender may be considered bad for another. Or vice versa.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to The Boss For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 499
elly68
Old 27-02-2013, 6:10 AM

well done boss on getting so close to target,katzan i know lots of crafters so very well done .we are doing well here my amazon gift vouchers are still intact .
jeez but reckon £30,000 but this will come down
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to elly68 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 500
minicooper272
Old 28-02-2013, 7:51 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I'm a bit pants at this whole 'need not want' stuff! Yesterday I bought a chair that I didn't really need. It wasn't expensive (£3 second hand), but still not a necessity. It's a new month now, and definitely a good time to start over! I might give myself a small wants budget of £20-30, see if that helps, but I don't need anything but food and entertainment for the next couple of weeks.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to minicooper272 For This Useful Post: Show me >>