Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • seeroo
    • By seeroo 21st Dec 12, 1:42 PM
    • 17Posts
    • 24Thanks
    seeroo
    Barclaycard 50 Credit for bad press
    • 21st Dec 12, 1:42 PM
    Barclaycard 50 Credit for bad press 21st Dec 12 at 1:42 PM
    Just rang Barclaycard to cancel after 18 months 0% purchases rate ran out. The man on the phone was trying to persuade me to stay with balance transfers etc. I said that I wasn't happy with the negative publicity re LIBOR etc. He then offered me 50 credit on my account to "appease" me.

Has anyone else encountered this?
Page 7
    • tastyhog
    • By tastyhog 14th Sep 17, 6:15 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 227 Thanks
    tastyhog
    Looks like they did stop retention offers indeed: we tried calling them a few weeks ago trying to 'close' one of the cards, but they almost closed it after some enthusiastic sales pitch - I am sure they'd hae closed it if we didn't rudely hang up on them :-)

That is in contrast with what has been happening in the last few years - they would always offer something, usually, if you do a 0% balance transfer rather than closing...
    Originally posted by Alexsas

so you rang up to close your account to try and get a freebie and you're miffed that they nearly closed your account?

you couldn't make this s**t up
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 14th Sep 17, 6:26 PM
    • 1,060 Posts
    • 767 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    so you rang up to close your account to try and get a freebie and you're miffed that they nearly closed your account?

you couldn't make this s**t up
    Originally posted by tastyhog
    Posted in error.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
    • JackyMorale
    • By JackyMorale 15th Sep 17, 3:42 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JackyMorale
    I had a credit card with them from 1996 to 2004. When I asked to close the account, I was offered a promotional interest rate of 3.880% APR for 24 months and 100 credit.

I accepted the offer, spent the 100 credit, used the promotional interest rate for about 6 months and then closed the account. I would recommend doing the same, no matter what the amount!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,070Posts Today

8,568Users online

Martin's Twitter