Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • seeroo
    • By seeroo 21st Dec 12, 1:42 PM
    • 17Posts
    • 24Thanks
    seeroo
    Barclaycard 50 Credit for bad press
    • 21st Dec 12, 1:42 PM
    Barclaycard 50 Credit for bad press 21st Dec 12 at 1:42 PM
    Just rang Barclaycard to cancel after 18 months 0% purchases rate ran out. The man on the phone was trying to persuade me to stay with balance transfers etc. I said that I wasn't happy with the negative publicity re LIBOR etc. He then offered me 50 credit on my account to "appease" me.

Has anyone else encountered this?
Page 6
  • seanjoe
    Hi,
    my wife and i closed our hsbc credit card account about 3-4 years ago, and just wanted to check if there was any ppi on it. when we entered our details, the announcement came up with our credit limit etc.....Does anyone else have this experience where you thought you closed the account, but it is still open?
    or is it open?
    thanks
    sean
  • Silent Father
    Just tried to cancel Barclaycard Visa and MasterCard accounts. In both cases got put onto retention department (different operators). Explained that I have used neither for years, there's nothing else they can offer to tempt me, I don't really need the credit and that I really didn't need them and though it might affect my credit rating if I wanted other cards in the future.
    So the first offered me 50 and the second 20 - can't refuse 70 for 5 minutes on the phone (at their expense) so will use the money and cancel next month!
    • mrchagle
    • By mrchagle 23rd Feb 15, 9:15 PM
    • 521 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    mrchagle
    Just tried to cancel Barclaycard Visa and MasterCard accounts. In both cases got put onto retention department (different operators). Explained that I have used neither for years, there's nothing else they can offer to tempt me, I don't really need the credit and that I really didn't need them and though it might affect my credit rating if I wanted other cards in the future.
    So the first offered me 50 and the second 20 - can't refuse 70 for 5 minutes on the phone (at their expense) so will use the money and cancel next month!
    Originally posted by Silent Father
    Have you ever paid any interest on the accounts? I tried this one, but wouldn't offer me anything.. I guess because I always paid my cards by DD / settled each month. You?
    If I've help in anyway, please remember to thank me :-)
    • thebritishbloke
    • By thebritishbloke 24th Feb 15, 11:53 AM
    • 1,460 Posts
    • 585 Thanks
    thebritishbloke
    Have you ever paid any interest on the accounts? I tried this one, but wouldn't offer me anything.. I guess because I always paid my cards by DD / settled each month. You?
    Originally posted by mrchagle
    I have a BarclayCard Cashback account (pays 1%/0.5% cashback on AmEx/VISA), and when I threatened to leave they offered me 20. Wouldn't up it, wouldn't give me any increased cashback rates etc. If you settle in full all the time, they want to keep you, but won't pay through the nose to keep you.
    Credit 'Score' - Don't buy the credit 'score' that Experian, Equifax and Noddle want to sell you. It's an arbitrary number that means nothing when it comes to applying for credit.

ALWAYS HAVE A DIRECT DEBIT SET UP FOR THE MINIMUM PAYMENT ON YOUR CREDIT CARDS, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER YOU PLAN TO LOGIN AND PAY EACH MONTH.
  • Rah
    I've had a Barclaycard for 13 years, just called up to close it, they initially offered me 12 months 0% on purchases, I said I still wanted to close it and then they offered to give me 50 on my account! Took the money and will probably close it next month!
    • mrsammyp
    • By mrsammyp 30th Jun 15, 1:02 PM
    • 153 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    mrsammyp
    I've had a Barclaycard for 13 years, just called up to close it, they initially offered me 12 months 0% on purchases, I said I still wanted to close it and then they offered to give me 50 on my account! Took the money and will probably close it next month!
    Originally posted by Rah
    I pay my card off in full. I've got a Barclaycard Cashback Amex/Visa duo and been a customer for 6 years. They just offered me 50 in order to stay (40 initially).

Worth the 5 minute phone call.
    • MrJester
    • By MrJester 1st Dec 15, 2:03 PM
    • 994 Posts
    • 502 Thanks
    MrJester
    Wanted to add that I got this recently after I said i wanted to close
    My new 2017 Batman-like debt free diary (26k+)!
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 2nd Dec 15, 8:22 AM
    • 3,328 Posts
    • 1,766 Thanks
    MABLE
    I made a complaint with Barclaycard regarding regarding how my initials appeared on my card. They added an extra one. I expected them just to reissue the card but was not that simple. However after 4 weeks had a letter from BC apologising for the bad standard of customer service. They apparently listened to the calls I had made trying to get the matter resolved.

What I did not expect and certainly never asked for was a goodwill payment
    of 160.

When complaining I always try to be nice and leave mrs angry on this board.
    Last edited by MABLE; 02-12-2015 at 8:25 AM.
    • brooza
    • By brooza 6th May 16, 10:00 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    brooza
    Damn, they offered me 20 and I took it. I should have held out for more!

I reduced my credit limit too. Hopefully that was a good idea
    • billy*bob
    • By billy*bob 15th Jun 16, 10:17 AM
    • 29 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    billy*bob
    I too rang up to cancel my old Barclaycard and was initially offered some deals on rates and then when I insisted that I still wanted to close my account I was offered 20 to keep it open, which I agreed to. Should I have held out for more?? Still, not bad for a quick, free phone call!
    • dimbles
    • By dimbles 15th Jun 16, 12:47 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    dimbles
    This is the second time I've had a bribe off Barclaycard to keep my account open on the second balance transfer I've done with them.
    • adindas
    • By adindas 15th Jun 16, 12:57 PM
    • 3,325 Posts
    • 1,643 Thanks
    adindas
    This is the second time I've had a bribe off Barclaycard to keep my account open on the second balance transfer I've done with them.
    Originally posted by dimbles
    Damn, they offered me 20 and I took it. I should have held out for more!

I reduced my credit limit too. Hopefully that was a good idea
    Originally posted by brooza
    I too rang up to cancel my old Barclaycard and was initially offered some deals on rates and then when I insisted that I still wanted to close my account I was offered 20 to keep it open, which I agreed to. Should I have held out for more?? Still, not bad for a quick, free phone call!
    Originally posted by billy*bob
    Hi guys.
    Tips for haggling to get the second bribe. What did you actually say when they ask you why you want to close the account ?? We all love the bribes, do not we ...

I have no intention to cancel my Barclay card due to its good record to be used as a mule card ..
    • billy*bob
    • By billy*bob 21st Jun 16, 10:31 AM
    • 29 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    billy*bob
    Hi guys.
    Tips for haggling to get the second bribe. What did you actually say when they ask you why you want to close the account ?? We all love the bribes, do not we ...

I have no intention to cancel my Barclay card due to its good record to be used as a mule card ..
    Originally posted by adindas
    Hi adindas,
    The chap I spoke to offered me some rates and a 0% balance transfer, and suggested that I may want to keep the account open in case I needed it in the future. I just kept insisting that I wanted to close my account and I think I said something about wanting to reduce my credit card balances and not wanting to spend on cards anymore. The 20 I got seemed like a pretty standard offer.
    Give it a go!
    • Ryan11967
    • By Ryan11967 25th Apr 17, 2:37 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ryan11967
    Just rang and the offered nothing
    Just a update, I called them just now and ask to cancel my card, he asked why and tried to persuade me. I simply said the reason was my 0% had ran out and have seen some deals I'm looking to go for, he tried to persuade me to stay but didn't offer me any card or cash or anything. Maybe I needed to say something different but I sadly didn't get any cash for it!
    • jckh14
    • By jckh14 25th Apr 17, 4:31 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    jckh14
    It looks like Barclaycard have stopped giving out free money to try and prevent people from closing their credit cards, so I've been told by other people who I know have tried recently.

I also called Barclaycard yesterday about my cashback account and the advisor told me they have discontinued the cashback duo card, so people can no longer switch to that product, there is even a chance that Barclaycard may switch people currently with the cashback to another product (most likely freedom), so anyone who has one, keep an eye out for the post
    Lloyds Platinum Card 2500 | Barclaycard Freedom 6000 (Debt Free and Stoozing)
    • WillPS
    • By WillPS 25th Apr 17, 5:16 PM
    • 206 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    WillPS
    It looks like Barclaycard have stopped giving out free money to try and prevent people from closing their credit cards, so I've been told by other people who I know have tried recently.

I also called Barclaycard yesterday about my cashback account and the advisor told me they have discontinued the cashback duo card, so people can no longer switch to that product, there is even a chance that Barclaycard may switch people currently with the cashback to another product (most likely freedom), so anyone who has one, keep an eye out for the post
    Originally posted by jckh14
    It's highly likely Amex are looking to cease their licensing agreements with Barclaycard (as well as MBNA, Lloyds and TSB). The interchange cap (as enacted in UK law) means they are capped at exactly the same level as Mastercard/Visa.
    • vkharch
    • By vkharch 12th May 17, 4:06 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    vkharch
    Just a update, I called them just now and ask to cancel my card, he asked why and tried to persuade me. I simply said the reason was my 0% had ran out and have seen some deals I'm looking to go for, he tried to persuade me to stay but didn't offer me any card or cash or anything. Maybe I needed to say something different but I sadly didn't get any cash for it!
    Originally posted by Ryan11967
    Same story, I've asked if there is any deal available for balance transfer with no fee, however nothing exceptionally good was offered, so just closed the account.

I might try to come back in a few month as a new customer to get a better deal.
    • planteria
    • By planteria 14th May 17, 11:57 AM
    • 4,852 Posts
    • 1,062 Thanks
    planteria
    the dropping of the Amex half of their Cashback duo is an interesting one.. i had long cut up the Amex card anyway, but has anyone managed to get a payment from Barclaycard and keep the account open?
    • Alexsas
    • By Alexsas 14th Sep 17, 1:48 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Alexsas
    Looks like they did stop retention offers indeed: we tried calling them a few weeks ago trying to 'close' one of the cards, but they almost closed it after some enthusiastic sales pitch - I am sure they'd hae closed it if we didn't rudely hang up on them :-)

That is in contrast with what has been happening in the last few years - they would always offer something, usually, if you do a 0% balance transfer rather than closing...
    • bengal-stripe
    • By bengal-stripe 14th Sep 17, 2:08 PM
    • 3,153 Posts
    • 2,029 Thanks
    bengal-stripe
    I am sure they'd hae closed it if we didn't rudely hang up on them... - they would always offer something, usually, if you do a 0% balance transfer rather than closing...
    Originally posted by Alexsas
    I presume, you must have 'cried wolf' too often.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

722Posts Today

6,140Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin