Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Techie Stuff > Who is using Windows 8? (Page 2)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Who is using Windows 8?
Views: 2,689
# 21
bertie1989
Old 18-12-2012, 8:16 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Another 7 vs 8 thread, loosing count as to how many i am seeing all over the web. Lets start with windows 7 is a great OS there is no denying that. Windows 8 is a good OS that i feel will get better over time. Im currently running 8 and it satisfies all my needs as a home and part time business user.Yeas things are tricky at start, and yes the removal of the start feature was bold decision they took.

But i see it this way, im competent in all OS's , be that windows,linux,BSD and mac. A good example of this happening in the past is Ubuntu changing to the unity interface and there was uproar, but people got used to it. People will get used to windows 8 over time.

Now the start menu has gone and i have got used to that fact(yes i know there are programs to bring it back) and honestly i really dont miss it.One tap of the windows key and type the program i want and hit enter and its up.It really is up to the end user if they like it or not.

If your not sure if you would cope on windows 8, pop into a pc world etc and have a play around on one, if you dont like it stick with windows 7
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 22
prowla
Old 19-12-2012, 6:47 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertie1989 View Post
Another 7 vs 8 thread, loosing count as to how many i am seeing all over the web. Lets start with windows 7 is a great OS there is no denying that. Windows 8 is a good OS that i feel will get better over time. Im currently running 8 and it satisfies all my needs as a home and part time business user.Yeas things are tricky at start, and yes the removal of the start feature was bold decision they took.

But i see it this way, im competent in all OS's , be that windows,linux,BSD and mac. A good example of this happening in the past is Ubuntu changing to the unity interface and there was uproar, but people got used to it. People will get used to windows 8 over time.

Now the start menu has gone and i have got used to that fact(yes i know there are programs to bring it back) and honestly i really dont miss it.One tap of the windows key and type the program i want and hit enter and its up.It really is up to the end user if they like it or not.

If your not sure if you would cope on windows 8, pop into a pc world etc and have a play around on one, if you dont like it stick with windows 7
And the eye candy is gone - Windows 8 doesn't look as nice; the window borders have been reduced to something even simpler than Windows 7 Basic scheme.
# 23
alinwales
Old 19-12-2012, 9:52 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
One tap of the windows key and type the program i want and hit enter and its up.It really is up to the end user if they like it or not.
I just gave Ubuntu a go, and found that finding a program to run was the same as this. I found it deeply frustrating.. go to the package manager first to find out what was actually installed, and then having to go and type it in. But I've only been on it for an hour, I'm sure I'll find ways to get a good overview of all the programs I have (a la program menu on the start button for instance), rather than having to know what I want to search for.
# 24
prowla
Old 19-12-2012, 11:57 AM

Ubuntu has the launcher down the left side of the screen.
# 25
Johnmcl7
Old 19-12-2012, 12:29 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I currently have three Windows 8 machines and will probably move another one from 7 to 8 over the holidays. I will admit when I started with the Windows 8 preview I didn't like it as initially it does feel quite different to Windows 7. When 8 came out properly I bought a Vaio Duo 11 (hybrid tablet/Ultrabook) as I need to be familiar with Windows 8 since I'm an IT person and people will want assistance with it.

I quickly began to like 8 on the Vaio particularly the performance and responsiveness which made my Win7 desktop machine seem sluggish despite the latter being a much more powerful PC. My initial Win8 test machine was an older XPS M1330 with a Core 2 Duo 2.2Ghz, 2GB ram, 320GB hard drive and Nvidia 8400m and I'd been impressed at the performance on it as its hardware is not that quick, it felt like I'd put an SSD in. So I decided to upgrade the desktop PC as you can easily ignore all the touch parts and have much the same as Windows 7, so far I'm pleased with the upgrade as performance is good and there's a few other additions I like such as the new task manager and file transfer systems plus I prefer having the power user menu instead of a start button as it gives me quicker access to most of the items I used the start menu for. Being newer hardware, the install was a breeze as Win8 recognised all the parts whereas Win7 didn't recognise any of them and had problems with the sata controller on the initial setup.

Initially I ignored the start screen on the desktop machine as it doesn't have a touch screen but I'm actually starting to find it useful because it means I have one click access to most of my software when I press the start button rather than having to go up to programs and scroll through the list. I have got rid of the touch application tiles and set default file associations to not use the touch version of the software. What's also handy about the start screen is if you start typing the name of what you are looking for, it will automatically search and usually find it which saves hunting around. I also find 8's search system works very well whereas I found it didn't work particularly well in either Vista or 7.

I do think one of the big mistakes Microsoft made with Windows 8 was not giving a touch/non-touch option on startup, I'd prefer to have a machine set as non-touch which would then set up the file associations not to use the touch applications, not have touch applications on the start screen and start in the desktop mode. Microsoft obviously want people using the tile interface as that's the one they're using on phone, Xbox and WinRT but there is little point using the touch applications on a non-touch system particularly on larger high resolution displays.

John
# 26
Lum
Old 19-12-2012, 12:38 PM

I'm happy with Windows 8. Upgraded both my desktop and my laptop to it from 7 after finding it improved both startup time and performance.

I'm not keen on the new Metro UI however, which is why I wrote a guide to removing it that makes Win8 behave like 7 again.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lum For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 27
bertie1989
Old 19-12-2012, 6:15 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowla View Post
And the eye candy is gone - Windows 8 doesn't look as nice; the window borders have been reduced to something even simpler than Windows 7 Basic scheme.
My windows 8 looks anything but basic, there is a little thing called customization, check out deviant art and such
# 28
prowla
Old 19-12-2012, 7:04 PM

Quote:
My windows 8 looks anything but basic, there is a little thing called customization, check out deviant art and such
Can you get Aqua style semi-transparent windows borders with rounded corners and 3-D shadows?

Can you change the size of the buttons on the windows borders?
# 29
bertie1989
Old 19-12-2012, 7:22 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Can you get Aqua style semi-transparent windows borders with rounded corners and 3-D shadows?

Can you change the size of the buttons on the windows borders?
So your saying i need to choose my OS on these things you listed? I always customized windows 7 and got rid of the aero theme! and my current windows boarder buttons are smaller then stock.see here http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/4820/61000757.jpg
# 30
Jemma-T
Old 19-12-2012, 8:24 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Windows 8 has been an excellent operating system.

Saying that I've had to make it look and feel like W7 to be useable using the excellent Classic Shell http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

Happy paying just 15 for it (had been using the beta version for several months).

The biggest benefit (and why I can't go back to W7) is it can copy files to and from other drives without constant faffing about. It just does it. As you'd expect.

They have excised the excellent Microsoft Security Essentials options AFAIK and replaced it with the not much use Windows Defender. A real step back.

AVG does the job though http://www.filehippo.com/download_avg_antivirus/
# 31
penrhyn
Old 19-12-2012, 8:37 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

They have in fact renamed MSE as Windows Defender and bundled it with W8, bet the EU will go after them for that one.

...........and it still a dogs dinner.
Winter is coming
# 32
prowla
Old 19-12-2012, 8:38 PM

Quote:
So your saying i need to choose my OS on these things you listed? I always customized windows 7 and got rid of the aero theme! and my current windows boarder buttons are smaller then stock.see here http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/4820/61000757.jpg
You can choose you OS on the colour of the box if you like; I was just listing them as eye candy items that have been downgraded in Windows 8 over Windows 7.

In Windows 7 you had the choice, dependent upon the PC's graphics performance. On Ubuntu Linux you have a similar chice. But in Windows 8 you don't - the "upgrade" OS has had the feature removed, apparently in the interests of making it look the same as a smart phone.

How did you change your buttons size?
# 33
prowla
Old 19-12-2012, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemma-T View Post
Windows 8 has been an excellent operating system.

Saying that I've had to make it look and feel like W7 to be useable using the excellent Classic Shell http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

Happy paying just 15 for it (had been using the beta version for several months).

The biggest benefit (and why I can't go back to W7) is it can copy files to and from other drives without constant faffing about. It just does it. As you'd expect.

They have excised the excellent Microsoft Security Essentials options AFAIK and replaced it with the not much use Windows Defender. A real step back.

AVG does the job though http://www.filehippo.com/download_avg_antivirus/
So, if I have 6 computers, would I need to spend 90 to reinstate a feature on them that Microsoft decided to remove in the new OS?
# 34
bertie1989
Old 19-12-2012, 9:11 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
You can choose you OS on the colour of the box if you like; I was just listing them as eye candy items that have been downgraded in Windows 8 over Windows 7.

In Windows 7 you had the choice, dependent upon the PC's graphics performance. On Ubuntu Linux you have a similar chice. But in Windows 8 you don't - the "upgrade" OS has had the feature removed, apparently in the interests of making it look the same as a smart phone.

How did you change your buttons size?
Ok i agree you dont have the choice out of the box but there is various mods and tweaks out there. Yes they did remove some eye candy, but the way i see it you can easily customize to the way you want it to look.

Like i said in a previous post, check out deviant art, great community with lots of windows 8 stuff on there.

Let me make this clear, I did say before i thought windows 7 was a great OS, im not bashing either they both have pros and cons.Windows 8 works well for me, in no way am i saying it will work well for others.

We could go round and round for hours with this debate like all others posted else-ware on the web

I personally upgraded because my little money earner on the side is to fix up other peoples pc's. I need to know how windows 8 works as already i have people asking me for opinions etc

I have always seen choosing an OS as a personal choice.
  • You want a simple pc windows is for you
  • you want to get a headache every time you want to do a simple task Linux is for you
  • you have to much money to spare Mac OSX is for you
# 35
Lum
Old 19-12-2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:
So, if I have 6 computers, would I need to spend 90 to reinstate a feature on them that Microsoft decided to remove in the new OS?
Nah, use StartIsBack which is $5 for a 5 computer licence or $3 for a 2 computer licence, so it'll work out at around a fiver to do that.

I thought classic shell was free anyway, the 15 is a donation?

Last edited by Lum; 19-12-2012 at 10:16 PM.
# 36
booler
Old 19-12-2012, 10:38 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by penrhyn View Post
They have in fact renamed MSE as Windows Defender ...
EeeeeK! Does Martin Lewis know about this?
"Some folks are wise and some are otherwise." - Tobias Smollett
# 37
prowla
Old 19-12-2012, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lum View Post
Nah, use StartIsBack which is $5 for a 5 computer licence or $3 for a 2 computer licence, so it'll work out at around a fiver to do that.

I thought classic shell was free anyway, the 15 is a donation?
Sure - I was really just thinking it is daft that MS took out a chunk of functionality (somewhere in the BETA process) and now there are people providing add-ons to put something similar right back again (some free and some not).

And of course, with these add-ons, there is a risk that any MS update that comes along could disable them.

So why get a new version of the OS and then commit yourself to a process of continually tweaking it?

Me - I think I'll wait til Windows 9, or maybe if MS release an official retro-fit.

As I mentioned I have a number of machines and I've no plans to move any of them to Windows 8.

I've no plans to upgrade any, and as for Tablets, I think it's pretty obvious that the iPad will continue to be the better offering.
The Following User Says Thank You to prowla For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 38
booler
Old 20-12-2012, 9:14 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Having read the comments in here I think I will continue to suffer with seven meanwhile.
"Some folks are wise and some are otherwise." - Tobias Smollett
# 39
Lum
Old 20-12-2012, 5:11 PM

The way I see it, if you're currently on 7 and all you really use it for is a facebook+forums machine there probably isn't much point upgrading, particularly once the half price offer expires.

If you're an enthusiast, tweaker and/or gamer then Windows 8 does offer some advantages that are worth the 25 quid.

However if you're on XP (and possibly Vista) and/or are looking to buy a new machine then you shouldn't be put off by the changes in Windows 8, if you're prepared to either learn the new UI or follow my guide for how to make it behave like traditional Windows again. Seeking out a Windows 7 machine/licence now will have you buying older kit that's been sat in a warehouse and probably paying extra money for the privilege. Certainly more than the 2 it will cost you to buy StartIsBack for Windows 8!
# 40
chunter
Old 20-12-2012, 5:23 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

What is the actual advantage of Windows 8 if you actually do work on a computer. Seems MS are trying to turn your computer into some sort of idiot's-computer-tablet. Talk about misjudging the market.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chunter For This Useful Post: Show me >>