Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Acc72
    • By Acc72 13th Dec 12, 10:44 AM
    • 1,472Posts
    • 2,009Thanks
    Acc72
    Does anybody use iZettle for taking payments ?
    • 13th Dec 12, 10:44 AM
    Does anybody use iZettle for taking payments ? 13th Dec 12 at 10:44 AM
    Hi All,

Does anybody have any experience of using iZettle to take payments from customers ?

What has your experience been ?

Doing a search on this site there are comments about not being able to take Mastercard payments, but their website says that you can as they are EMV (Europay, Matercard and Visa approved) - may be recent approval ?

How have your customers responded ?

The website says "no lengthy contracts" - what does this mean, that there is effectively no contract ?

Are there any other similar companies / systems out there ?

Thanks in advance for any comments.
Page 6
  • spenc08
    izettle is not for every buisness
    Hi all

I'm a general builder of nearly 20 years and work from recommendation. I thought izettle would be easier for some of my elderly customers who do not do internet banking, I did not have question ask about taken payment via my smart phone as I was trusted by my customers.
    I had fitted a new Kitchen and had taken a payment for all the new unites and appliances which went through ok, apart from slow transaction to my account.
    At completion of works I had taken a 2nd payment but it flagged up at izettle that it was from the same card,so this lead to a investigation of fraud, so money was frozen until I proved different,
    apparently I had broken their Terms and Condition ? ( hope you have all read these ) You can NOT take partial payments for a single product, this means deposits.etc etc.....
    So izettle is not ideal for all business, so be aware
    Last edited by spenc08; 24-02-2015 at 6:35 PM.
  • Anudis
    Checking things out with iZettle
    I am a registered iZettle user. I am new to the company and have a pro unit. After stumbling across this thread I was quite concerned I had chosen the right company to take my card payments. This was one of two companies recommended by my bank. So I email iZettle to ask the question. Were we allowed to take deposits? I emailed after closing time. The following day I got an automated email say I could now call their helpline if I wanted to rather than waiting for an email response. I rang the number supplied and got though in less than 30 seconds. They looked up my email and explained that there should be no problem in taking deposits even if it is from the same card on two consecutive days. I asked about taking card payments remotely and was informed they had received a lot of requests for this functionality. They are working on a solution and it should be available reasonably soon. They have to make sure they comply with all the regulations. I hope this helps.
    • Emptysack
    • By Emptysack 18th Jun 15, 11:40 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Emptysack
    Not convinced with worldpay zinc
    Originally after reading this thread I was undecided and was favoring worldpay zinc and decided to sign up but from reading around I thought I would have a look at the izettle site too. upon doing so I noticed they where giving there basic reader away for free if you confirmed your bank account within 7 days, so after signing up for worldpay zinc I decided I had nothing to loose to try izettle..

Worldpay zinc signup was a pain, it stated it would take 5 mins but after signing up it said further checks where required and they would be in touch within 5 days..

during that time as said already i signed up for izettle and within 2 days the free reader was at my house and the account was set up and ready for use and I began using it, a further few days later I got an email from wpz saying my account was now up and running so i logged into it and started playing about with things and familiarizing myself with the set up. After a day playing it it I realized it does not even come close to izettle...

In my opinion izettle wins hands down for a number of reasons..

1/ They offer a free reader for business customers
    2/ Their paid reader supports contactless payments
    3/ Their website dashboard is better
    4/ Their website ssl certificate works and doesn't give warnings. Worldpay zincs website (when logged in) gives a https error. (This is also the same if you request payment via email or text... not exactly what I would call a professional company and could make you seem like a fraudster sending someone payment links and when they click them they get security warnings.. I for one would never enter card details into a site that does not have adequate security and produces warnings.
    6/ It supports integration with accounting software
    7/ It has a far higher annual transaction limit..

Also, contrary to previous posts, they do have telephone support and visa payments work with the card reader..
    • Timetoreply
    • By Timetoreply 9th Dec 15, 7:57 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Timetoreply
    Beware of underhand izettal beware
    Hi All,

Does anybody have any experience of using iZettle to take payments from customers ?

What has your experience been ?

Doing a search on this site there are comments about not being able to take Mastercard payments, but their website says that you can as they are EMV (Europay, Matercard and Visa approved) - may be recent approval ?

How have your customers responded ?

The website says "no lengthy contracts" - what does this mean, that there is effectively no contract ?

Are there any other similar companies / systems out there ?

Thanks in advance for any comments.
    Originally posted by Acc72
    Do not under any circumstances use this service they are underhand and you will have absolutely no protection.They are a Swedish based company who cannot be contacted other than using a switch number to Sweden .You can be frozen at any time and getting your money out is a nightmare
    • Andreas Art Prints
    • By Andreas Art Prints 19th May 16, 11:04 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Andreas Art Prints
    I have tried setting up my izettle account but it is only guaranteed compatible on a small selected range of Apple and Android devices, which is not made clear at any stage in the application process. I didn't find this out until after I received my card reader through the post and tried using it on three mobile devices (Vodafone Smart ultra 6, Tesco Hudl and a Polatab). Iinitially it worked on none of them, but after many efforts and email aexchanges with izettle I got it to work on the smartphone. I then tried to make a refund but the instructions on the website do not reflect the screen yiu see on their app. It tells you to go to the 'transactions' option, yete there isn't one in the app! I am awaiting an email from them to explain. It seems to me that in theory it is a great device. The reality is poorly thought through and could have done with a lot more user testing before launch.
    • rhysadams
    • By rhysadams 10th Aug 16, 4:56 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    rhysadams
    We use izettle and its pretty straight forwards, we can accept credit and debit cards and even Amex and the charges are the same. The more we use it the cheaper it becomes.

Its a little confusing when it hits the bank account as they take the charge off before it comes in, but now we have got our head around it, its ok.
    • lynseydee
    • By lynseydee 19th Sep 16, 9:30 PM
    • 1,615 Posts
    • 7,429 Thanks
    lynseydee
    I'm wondering if anyone can help me.

I have an online business but also do stalls to help promote the business.

Having seen all the different types of ways to take card payments doing stalls I have decided that this may be a way forward for me giving my customers an alternative way of paying.

I have a £50.00 Amazon voucher and was wondering:-

1. If I could get a tablet/ipad for this price from Amazon; and

2. What would be the best device for the money I have to spend.

Thanks
    Did owe £9,951.96

Now helping hubby pay off loan. Finally paid off

Owe Virgin £5,950.00 at 0% til June 2009 £3,427.89. Owe HSBC £5,460.78 2.9% til May 2010 £3,703.07. Owe Post Office £1,676.62 at 0% til September 2010
    • Mr Poves
    • By Mr Poves 17th Nov 16, 9:56 PM
    • 237 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    Mr Poves
    We have just completed a sign up with WorldPay and it is many times better than iZettle,

They supply a chip and pin terminal which looks just like any other that customers are used to in shops. It connects wirelessly (through Bluetooth) to an Android 'phone so the customer does not handle your phone and, of course, you have the security of chip and pin and the widely known name of WorldPay.

In addition you can take customer not present sales over the 'phone via a web interface.

We were set up and had our terminal in 5 days and it really seems to render the others redundant.

https://mobile.worldpay.com/
    Originally posted by chalkie99
    Be very careful with the customer not present transactions , worldpay advertise this as a selling point , but hate you using it , I had a load of trouble and they closed my account because they are liable for 90 days for any fraud from a customer not present transaction , a horrible company to deal with who talk to you like 5hi7 !
    • lynseydee
    • By lynseydee 25th Jan 17, 12:37 AM
    • 1,615 Posts
    • 7,429 Thanks
    lynseydee
    Has anyone heard of this?

https://sumup.co.uk/air-contactless-card-reader?prc=UK29AIR

Seems good at 1.95% per transaction with no monthly fee and until the end of February is only £29.00.

What does everyone else thing?
    Did owe £9,951.96

Owe Virgin £5,950.00 at 0% til June 2009 £3,427.89. Owe HSBC £5,460.78 2.9% til May 2010 £3,703.07. Owe Post Office £1,676.62 at 0% til September 2010
    • wwjxw03
    • By wwjxw03 1st Mar 17, 4:32 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    wwjxw03
    Have used it for 18 months - no problems whatsoever. It's a great system. Only one drawback.... Can't process card when offline (buyer not present). This is needed when you are out and about and don't have a wifi, 3G or 4G signal.
    • lynseydee
    • By lynseydee 1st Mar 17, 10:56 PM
    • 1,615 Posts
    • 7,429 Thanks
    lynseydee
    Has anyone heard of this?

https://sumup.co.uk/air-contactless-card-reader?prc=UK29AIR

Seems good at 1.95% per transaction with no monthly fee and until the end of February is only £29.00.

What does everyone else thing?
    Originally posted by lynseydee
    Have used it for 18 months - no problems whatsoever. It's a great system. Only one drawback.... Can't process card when offline (buyer not present). This is needed when you are out and about and don't have a wifi, 3G or 4G signal.
    Originally posted by wwjxw03
    Are you commenting to what I put?

So basically, as I would want it for when I do events, I would need either wife or a 3G or 4G signal for it to work?
    Did owe £9,951.96

• JersonBuck
    • By JersonBuck 3rd Jun 17, 10:39 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    JersonBuck
    Heyah Acc72, Iíve been using this card reader for my costumerís payments and I didnít experience any issues. Most of my costumers also likes it because they said itís easy and convenient. However, there are few who said that itís not secure and might cause payment issue anytime. My cousin is using a different card reader I think itís called SumUp. Hereís what I found on searching. mobileterminals.net/sumup-izettle-comparison
    • helenapetre
    • By helenapetre 14th Jun 17, 10:15 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    helenapetre
    iZettle
    Hi, I've had the card reader for eight months. During that time I've taken twelve payments, and on two occasions the customer has come back to me and said they were charged £3 extra. The second one was a MasterCard payment, contactless.
    My sales record says they were charged £14.00.
    The second customer was very hostile and has said that they were going to post a warning about me on Facebook groups! I ended up giving them £14 back, just to take the pressure off. I want to be known as trustworthy, as I am a small-time trader reselling greetings cards.
    I called iZettle this morning, and they offered to investigate, and said that "some banks will treat this payment as a cash transaction and charge an extra fee". They couldn't tell me which banks would do this, or when it might happen.
    As the damage has already been done and I am not confident about using my machine again before the results of the investigation are made known, i have decided to go with Connect Pay/Adelante, as this is what my card selling parent company recommends. I have sales events this weekend, and I believe I just have to download an app to my phone, having set up via my parent company in a matter of moments.
    WE shall see!
    • lynseydee
    • By lynseydee 14th Jun 17, 9:33 PM
    • 1,615 Posts
    • 7,429 Thanks
    lynseydee
    Hi, I've had the card reader for eight months. During that time I've taken twelve payments, and on two occasions the customer has come back to me and said they were charged £3 extra. The second one was a MasterCard payment, contactless.
    My sales record says they were charged £14.00.
    The second customer was very hostile and has said that they were going to post a warning about me on Facebook groups! I ended up giving them £14 back, just to take the pressure off. I want to be known as trustworthy, as I am a small-time trader reselling greetings cards.
    I called iZettle this morning, and they offered to investigate, and said that "some banks will treat this payment as a cash transaction and charge an extra fee". They couldn't tell me which banks would do this, or when it might happen.
    As the damage has already been done and I am not confident about using my machine again before the results of the investigation are made known, i have decided to go with Connect Pay/Adelante, as this is what my card selling parent company recommends. I have sales events this weekend, and I believe I just have to download an app to my phone, having set up via my parent company in a matter of moments.
    WE shall see!
    Originally posted by helenapetre
    I'd be interested in to hear how you get on with this.
    Did owe £9,951.96

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

330Posts Today

2,737Users online

Martin's Twitter