Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    allydowd
    Sat/Sun 8/9 December - What small DFW things will you do today?
    • 8th Dec 12, 5:54 AM
    Sat/Sun 8/9 December - What small DFW things will you do today? 8th Dec 12 at 5:54 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important

G'morning DFW-Jedis. Today I will be:

#Trying to avert a disaster! OH and I decided to only by two gifts each this year for Christmas. And the 'perfect gift' I found for my OH is out of stock so I need to find a new supplier. Looking for one of these:
    (Link.) It's the perfect gift as my OH and have joked about getting old and having an allotment (!) since we met five years ago and I've set my heart on getting it for her. We tried to get a real allotment but there are none to be had locally although we do now have a big back garden which is going to have a big veg plot. Oh my, I found one on Amazon!!! Oh the relief!!!

#Try to finish wallpapering sitting room. We found some inexpensive wallpaper in town yesterday but only managed to get one wall done yesterday. Returned three other rolls of paper for a refund. Use wallpaper paste from another project. Did very complex calculation to work out the smallest number of rolls we could get away with buying given that the paper has a repeating pattern.

#Week 3 of no tv. Will watch Top Gear tonight downloaded from internet on iPlayer. Cancel tv license if this continues. You only need a license if you watch tv as it's being broadcast and we're not just now. No aerial/dish! (Link.)

#Week 3 of no anti-depressants. Enjoying not having to go collect prescriptions. That's a few pennies petrol saved.

#Anyone want to see our newly decorated kitchen? All done DFW-style.
    (Link.)

#Lunch today: last night's leftovers. 0.

#Put up Christmas tree left in loft by last tenant when we've made a base for it and finished decorating sitting room.
    Baubles and tinsel from last year. 0.

#Staying in; no petrol used. 0.

#Offer curtain rails on Freecycle. (Link)

#Read newspapers online. Find your favourite online paper at the bottom of this page. (Link)

#Get Physiotherapist OH to treat sore back. 0.

#Moisturise very dry hands with olive oil.

#Contemplate buying a solar-powered light to gently illuminate the sitting room at night without using electricity. Will shop around for cheaper ones first.
    (Link.)

#Use wind-up torch instead of battery torch.

#OH got paid for mystery shop. Grass Roots are still recruiting if anyone wants to become a mystery shopper.
    (Link.)

#Got a smartphone? Got Quidco? Walking past any shops? Get the Quidco App and get paid for checking in at major chains. No spend required. Confirms same day. Last Saturday I earned 2 for walking around local shopping centre while I was waiting for my OH. Most of the time it allowed me to check-in while standing just outside the shops concerned. You need to leave a minute between each check-in. If I'd done every shop in the big shopping centre I could have earned a fiver! (Link.)

# 30% off Hallmark personalised gifts.Enter XMAS30 at the checkout. (Link.)

#Daily Express -80p-Free Settlers Mintees at Tesco. Page 34.

#The Sun-50p-Page 24 Coupon for 5 Off 25 Spend at Debenhams. Also Valid Online with Code RK73. Page 24 Coupon for 5 Off 25 Spend at Dorothy Perkins
    Valid to 14/12, also valid at www.dorothyperkins.com/sun with Code DPSUN1.

#DailyStar-55p- Free 10 Footie Bet (new customers) - Redeem at Totepool.com Please gamble with care, losing all your cash at the bookies isn't very DFW!

#
    DailyStar-55p-2 for 1 Pizza PLUS FREE Coca Cola - Redeem at Papa Johns

#Free 10 train e-voucher. (Link.)
    Last edited by allydowd; 09-12-2012 at 10:54 AM.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015.

"
    Everything works out well in the end; if all is not well, it's not the end."
Page 2
  • MinnieMousesMummy
    Good afternoon everyone, I almost forgot to post today so I really need to try and get back into the habit, as posting will help.

Plans for today:

Take kids to see their granny will get free dinner there

Do some course work as I have a couple of assessments to complete next week

Put the heating off whilst we are out

LSD as will need to get fuel

Do some of the washing will put a load on just before I go out

Put a promotion on Facebook in the hope of getting some bookings for my party plan business

Put new promotional poster on my car before going to MIL in the hope of generating some interest for my business whilst driving

I think that is everything that I need to do today so I best make a start as fancy getting an early night, as got a busy week next week.
  • Pernicious
    Hi everyone,

RFTA - Hope you feel better now.
    Ally - They ran out quickly as I couldn't find it yesterday when I posted!

Today I have/will:-
    • Food from stores
    • Dinner from meal plan - Chicken tagine & cous cous
    • Charging phone via pc
    • Heating off as long as possible & on low when needed, lots of layers on to keep warm.
    • Daily clicks etc on Sw@gbucks
    • Log calories using free app
    • Check online banking
    • Surveys
    • Declutter & flylady
    • Check for new mystery shopping opportunities
    • Enter some comps
    • Wrap some presents
    • Read Martin's email properly as I didn't get round to this yesterday
    • Pick up photos from Mr T's, framing a couple of wedding photos as cheap xmas gifts for certain family members
    • Need to go to the pet shop...resist bringing home a new fluffy!!
    • Washing on eco setting using less than the recommended dose of washing liquid
    • Hang up to dry
    • Find sellotape so I don't have to buy more, I know I have loads somewhere!
    • Focus on being grateful for what I have, & make it known how much I appreciate certain people & things in my life. A colleague is separating from his wife & it's really hit home how lucky I am, I don't really know if you can call this DFW or not, it kinda is as if we split up we'd have to sell the house & I don't see that happening atm, but I wanted to put it anyway just so anyone else who may have been getting down in the dumps over stupid things can take a fresh look at their lives & appreciate it for how wonderful it really is.
    Have a great, MSE day everyone x
    Debt at Jul 12 OD: 1307.65 CC V: 2145.17 CC B: 5759.48 CC H: 3553.27 M&D: 97.00 Total: 12,862.57
    Current Debt: CC T: 1200.00 Total: 1200.00
    90.67% paid off, 9.33% to go...

• mineallmine
    Great kitchen ally

Minniemouse (sp) how about targeting notice boards with posters in posh / wealthy areas. Such as church halls, that sort of thing. Or kids day centres.

Today:
    A nsd
    A walk in the fresh air away from the shops
    Hubby pumped up his car tyres
    Put some mini snickers in the freezer. So I can't gobble them quickly!
    Found some xmas cards from previous years so we'll use these up this year

Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
    Cherryprint: "More stuff = more stuff to tidy up!"
    Less things. Less stuff. More life.
    Fab thread: Long daily walks
  • allydowd
    Busy day three off work:

~Celebrated Hannukah for me and put up wee Christmas tree we found in the loft for OH.
    There was no base for the tree so we stuck the tree in an upturned cardboard box and covered the box in gift wrap. Added deccies and lights from last year. Doesn't sit quite straight but not bad for 0. Had the lights on for half an hour on a timer.

~OH and I decided not to send each other a card this year. We stumbled across last year's cards and put those up as they were expensive ones with nice sentiments inside. Hung a ribbon from the door (had to iron it first) and stapled cards on. 0.

~Got to bed at 3am. OH and I spent 21 hours re-decorating the sitting room. The Housing Association had left the walls top half half recent plaster that shed dust and bottom half anaglypta textured wallpaper painted with yellow gloss paint! If it hadn't been for the plaster shedding dust and my OH's asthma we would have left the room as it was for a while. Just painting over it looked hideous and so we had to strip the walls, sand them, then wallpaper over it. Luckily we had loads of sandpaper left over from other projects. (How did we end up with 40 sheets?!) Got two rolls of paper left so we'll take them back to B&M for a refund. Homebase wallpaper calculator (Link) said we'd need 14 rolls of wallpaper. I calculated we'd need 12 rolls to allow for the repeating pattern including 10% extra in case of problems so we bought 12. We actually used 9.5. Moral: Homebase wallpaper calculator calculates 'generously'(!) Found white spirit 'abandoned' in the loft the other day. Perfect for cleaning brushes. Also used half a tin of white gloss found in loft. The tin lid wasn't airtight so half the tin was unusable but managed to salvage half a tin with a little white spirit.
    Last edited by allydowd; 09-12-2012 at 8:20 PM.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015.

"
    Everything works out well in the end; if all is not well, it's not the end."
  • determined new ms
    Hello sadness that the weekend is over has not been a good one for me, cringing in shame over getting too drunk at the xmas party....

Anyway small things:

* checked banking
    * agreed to give dd some money for birthday so she can get some shoes
    * NSD yesterday
    * went to oh's parents for dinner in yesterday evening
    * db plastered another wall
    * all meals from stores
    * went shopping and got some reduced items and froze
    * have prepared for hours for job interview tomorrow & worked out a good outfit from my wardrobe
    * dug out certificates
    * got soup and bread rolls out of freezer for lunches for tomorrow
    * will iron my clothes soon
    * done a couple of loads of washing - need to hang up the second in a minute
    * think I'm gonna wrap up my gifts in a minute
    * didn't drive my car this weekend

That's me! x
    VSP- 91.12
    Debt to Bank of oh Mum: 3000/5000[/CENTER] August GC 64.47/200
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,245Posts Today

6,172Users online

Martin's Twitter