Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    DepressedDad
    Student Finance have ruined my life
    • 7th Dec 12, 9:23 PM
    Student Finance have ruined my life 7th Dec 12 at 9:23 PM
    Sorry for the melodramatic title but that's how I feel.

My wife has completed her degree but student finance have made it extremely difficult.

To cut a long story short, they overpaid us in her second year. They gave us an adult dependency grant which we didn't apply for. Student finance confirmed it was their admin error not ours. Despite this both the Student Union and CAB told us we'd need to pay them back.

They withheld the money promised to us in the third year which meant we had to pay full nursery fees. Because of this we had to live of credit cards and is the sole reason why we are now in so much debt. Buying things like bread and milk on a credit card for over a year mounts up!

Anyway, we survived and we repaid the final payment of 2K on a 0% card and the lady on the phone confirmed our account was settled.

Whilst all this was going on I became more and more stressed. I have a hospital appointment tomorrow to attend a stress and mood clinic. I'm just thankful that my wife and I have such a strong relationship because there were some rocky times.

Then today... we received another letter saying we owe over 4K. I am FURIOUS, they don't have a clue what they are doing. They've sent us hundreds of letters of the last three years all stating different figures. I've had enough! My wife will contact them tomorrow and have it out on the phone but Im worried they'll pass it to a debt collection agency which they threatened before we paid the 2K which we thought was going to be the end of it.

We've already spent a fortune on telephone calls in the last year trying to sort it, we then think it's all done and dusted and then they want more!

We've already tried to get some help from Student Union and CAB but wondered if there was anyone else we could go to?

Hopefully it's just another mistake but what the hell happens if it isn't!

Anyway, sorry to bore you and any advice welcome. Cheers!
    Last edited by DepressedDad; 07-12-2012 at 9:26 PM.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,872Posts Today

7,427Users online

Martin's Twitter