Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • DKLS
    • By DKLS 21st Apr 07, 2:17 PM
    • 12,822 Posts
    • 21,520 Thanks
    DKLS
    • 21st Apr 07, 2:17 PM
    • 21st Apr 07, 2:17 PM
    Some are genuine, some are not, Most I receive are from Rag Mills, who sometimes team up with a well known charity and pay them anything between 7-13 pence per kilo, Others arent affiliated and sometimes state on the leaflet that there are a business.
    Items are then sorted some sold to Traders/Antique Dealers, What is still wearable is shipped to Africa (to be sold) and what is left is ground up, dyed and made into wipers/ mattress stuffing for industry. It is the ultimate in recycling, and there is a lot of money to be made.
    When I donate anything I take it direct to the charity shop.
    • Becles
    • By Becles 21st Apr 07, 3:12 PM
    • 12,788 Posts
    • 25,447 Thanks
    Becles
    • 21st Apr 07, 3:12 PM
    • 21st Apr 07, 3:12 PM
    You need to check the small print on the leaflet. If they have a registered charity number, they are probably legitimate.

However, some just have a company number and/or no proper contact details - just a hotmail address. I am wary of these as they don't appear to be very charitable as it reads as if they are looking to profit from your donation.
    Here I go again on my own....
  • Mrs B
    • 21st Apr 07, 10:33 PM
    • 21st Apr 07, 10:33 PM
    We've had several lately from one place calling themselves Help and Support Ltd and showing a registered business number. It's NOT a charity number but it the way they set it out it looks like it is.

I alerted the local trading standards people so they know who is operating locally because I know they send out press notices if they get a lot.
    • sarahg1969
    • By sarahg1969 21st Apr 07, 11:34 PM
    • 6,432 Posts
    • 10,822 Thanks
    sarahg1969
    • 21st Apr 07, 11:34 PM
    • 21st Apr 07, 11:34 PM
    Here is the information for Help & Support Limited - yet another Lithuanian clothing collection company!

COMPANY APPOINTMENTS
    Registered No.: 05834199
    Name: HELP AND SUPPORT LIMITED

Address: 137 DOVER ROAD
    NORTHFLEET
    GRAVESEND
    DA11 1QX

TRINOVAS, ARUNAS SECRETARY
    137 DOVER ROAD
    NORTHFLEET
    GRAVESEND
    DA11 1QX
    Appointed: 01/06/2006
    Nationality: BRITISH
    Company Appointments: 1

ZVAGZDYS, VYTAUTAS DIRECTOR
    137 DOVER ROAD
    NORTHFLEET
    GRAVESEND
    DA11 1QX
    Appointed: 01/06/2006
    Nationality: LITHUANIAN
    Date of Birth: 22/12/1970
    Company Appointments: 1
    • lil_me
    • By lil_me 21st Apr 07, 11:50 PM
    • 13,031 Posts
    • 114,296 Thanks
    lil_me
    • 21st Apr 07, 11:50 PM
    • 21st Apr 07, 11:50 PM
    We get loads of companies who are not registered charities dropping leaflets asking for clothing, perfume, mobiles etc. Easy enough to filter out most of the time due to the company number being mentioned but no charity number. Usually a quick search on the internet finds they aren't aswell. From what was said on a few sites they are sometimes just people feeling lucky who sell on ebay, wanting free stuff to sell. I think it's shocking myself, disgusting. I have tried personally warning people locally but only so much you can do. Worst part is most even don't provide a bag unlike most registered charities. I have given one collector a mouth full of my opinion before. I have contacted Trading Standards countless times, nothing done. We also get several a week. Tempted to put flyers out myself warning people but would probably end up in trouble.

Also some charity ones lately I dislike, one said they receive 10% of the proceeds from sales. Sorry I'd rather take it to the shops I know are legit.
    Last edited by lil_me; 21-04-2007 at 11:53 PM.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
  • Uncle Fester
    • 22nd Apr 07, 12:37 PM
    • 22nd Apr 07, 12:37 PM
    We get loads of companies who are not registered charities dropping leaflets asking for clothing, perfume, mobiles etc. Easy enough to filter out most of the time due to the company number being mentioned but no charity number. Usually a quick search on the internet finds they aren't aswell. From what was said on a few sites they are sometimes just people feeling lucky who sell on ebay, wanting free stuff to sell. I think it's shocking myself, disgusting. I have tried personally warning people locally but only so much you can do. Worst part is most even don't provide a bag unlike most registered charities. I have given one collector a mouth full of my opinion before. I have contacted Trading Standards countless times, nothing done. We also get several a week. Tempted to put flyers out myself warning people but would probably end up in trouble.

Also some charity ones lately I dislike, one said they receive 10% of the proceeds from sales. Sorry I'd rather take it to the shops I know are legit.
    Originally posted by lil_me
    I agree with you, it gives the real Charities a bad name
  • Uncle Fester
    • 4th May 07, 10:27 PM
    • 4th May 07, 10:27 PM
    I got 4 Today!!!
  • Col.Mastard
    • 13th May 07, 6:58 PM
    • 13th May 07, 6:58 PM
    Is this really a Scam?

As I gave them some unwanted cloths recently
    • Little John
    • By Little John 14th May 07, 11:12 PM
    • 3,994 Posts
    • 1,826 Thanks
    Little John
    Not all are but some are bussinesses making money from it.

sucks really I never leave stuff out and if I have stuff that is still good after I have finished with it it goes to the charity shop, or my mum takes it to where she works and the people she worsk with goes through the bags normally nothing comes back.
    • vikingaero
    • By vikingaero 15th May 07, 1:32 PM
    • 10,179 Posts
    • 12,818 Thanks
    vikingaero
    Most are scams. They have a Hotmail or Yahoo! contact address and claim that they provide employment for sorters and drivers etc. In reality they provide free stock for the big bosses and there are often warnings from Trading Standards in various regions. Some even go as far as snatching the bags that you leave out for Cancer Research, BHF, GOSH, etc.
  • Whyme?
    Stop the junkmail by registering with the mail preference system. Cant remember how you do it, just know you can. It will save lots of hassle, reduce waste and hopefully force the RM to stop accepting to post them (unless they are delivered by hand from the little thieves of course)http://img.moneysavingexpert.com/icons/icon9.gif
    Unhappy
    • vivatifosi
    • By vivatifosi 22nd May 07, 11:35 AM
    • 15,999 Posts
    • 101,033 Thanks
    vivatifosi
    I telephoned Companies House about a collection company that has been collecting in my area. The company is called Seabeach Ltd. It was collecting locally as of last week. If you look on the Companies House website it says 'Active - Proposal to Strike Off'. I asked Companies House whether the strike off was voluntary or mandatory and they told me Companies House had petitioned for Strike Off and this went in the London Gazette in April. Their annual return is nearly a year overdue and apparently they have no named director or company secretary.

I have complained to both Trading Standards and the Advertising Standards Agency as there is no right of redress with this company and even if they do meet their stated aim of sending clothes to the Third World (unlikely) I don't see how they can collect things and do all this in the limited time they have left in existence.

On a wider level Clothes Aid has pointed out that the bags that they collect for Great Ormond have been stolen by some collection companies see:http://www.clothesaid.co.uk/bogus_collectors.html

And MP Jo Swinson proposed an Early Day Motion at the end of the last year to give greater teeth to the organisations fighting these people, see:
    http://edmi.parliament.uk/edmi/EDMDetails.aspx?EDMID=31696&SESSION=885

Please, Please, Please Martin, make this your next campaign, this time they aren't our millions, they are charities, and how scummy is it to steal from them?
    • Kimitatsu
    • By Kimitatsu 23rd May 07, 10:36 AM
    • 3,779 Posts
    • 7,834 Thanks
    Kimitatsu
    Many of these are scams, however if you have clothes to dispose of (including bedding shoes bags belts etc) then try contacting your local school and see if they run a Bag2school collection. This is a proper charity that promotes recycling of clothes to the third world and pays the school PTA (which are usually charities themselves) for the collection. For small schools especially this can be a big boost as these companies pay about £250 per tonne, a large amount to some!

You will probably find as well that if you cannot get the stuff there yourself then someone will pick it up for you.

It does come to somthing though when you have to make this much effort to prevent the scammers!!
    • DKLS
    • By DKLS 25th May 07, 12:58 PM
    • 12,822 Posts
    • 21,520 Thanks
    DKLS
    Drive past your local rag mill, I can pretty much guarentee, the owners will be driving a Aston/Ferrari, there is big money in this business.
  • Dave Brooker
    Is this really a Scam?

As I gave them some unwanted cloths recently
    Originally posted by Col.Mastard
    It's not a scam as such, as on the leaflet it will admit somewhere that they're a business.

Apparantly due to cheap chinese clothes there's not much money to be made by charities collecting clothes anymore.

But as you say they were unwanted clothes, so they did you a favour by collecting them, and it's better that this stuff gets recycled/exported rather than just ending up in a landfill somewhere...
  • Suzi.Q
    Stop the junkmail by registering with the mail preference system. Cant remember how you do it, just know you can. It will save lots of hassle, reduce waste and hopefully force the RM to stop accepting to post them (unless they are delivered by hand from the little thieves of course)http://img.moneysavingexpert.com/icons/icon9.gif
    Unhappy
    Originally posted by Whyme?
    We get loads of these leaflets, they're all hand delivered unfortunately.
  • Uncle Fester
    Drive past your local rag mill, I can pretty much guarentee, the owners will be driving a Aston/Ferrari, there is big money in this business.
    Originally posted by DKLS
    And it seems to be within the law aswell
    • trisontana
    • By trisontana 6th Jun 07, 7:07 PM
    • 8,825 Posts
    • 13,341 Thanks
    trisontana
    On TV the other day it showed that one charity (which collects for Great Ormond Street) is so fed up with unauthorised people stealing their full collection bags, they have equipped two people with motor bikes to follow the vans to see where they end up. This has resulted in several arrests and convictions, and the charity getting a lot of their stuff back.
  • Col.Mastard
    I got one asking for Furniture today!!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,288Posts Today

6,840Users online

Martin's Twitter