IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Clothing Collection Scam
Closed Thread
Views: 9,591
# 1
Uncle Fester
Old 21-04-2007, 2:09 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Question Clothing Collection Scam

I'm getting a lot of leaflets (8/9 pw) about Clothing Collections, is this a scam? or do they really go to a good cause?
The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
DKLS
Old 21-04-2007, 2:17 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Some are genuine, some are not, Most I receive are from Rag Mills, who sometimes team up with a well known charity and pay them anything between 7-13 pence per kilo, Others arent affiliated and sometimes state on the leaflet that there are a business.
Items are then sorted some sold to Traders/Antique Dealers, What is still wearable is shipped to Africa (to be sold) and what is left is ground up, dyed and made into wipers/ mattress stuffing for industry. It is the ultimate in recycling, and there is a lot of money to be made.
When I donate anything I take it direct to the charity shop.
The Following User Says Thank You to DKLS For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Becles
Old 21-04-2007, 3:12 PM

You need to check the small print on the leaflet. If they have a registered charity number, they are probably legitimate.

However, some just have a company number and/or no proper contact details - just a hotmail address. I am wary of these as they don't appear to be very charitable as it reads as if they are looking to profit from your donation.
Here I go again on my own....
The Following User Says Thank You to Becles For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Mrs B
Old 21-04-2007, 10:33 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

We've had several lately from one place calling themselves Help and Support Ltd and showing a registered business number. It's NOT a charity number but it the way they set it out it looks like it is.

I alerted the local trading standards people so they know who is operating locally because I know they send out press notices if they get a lot.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mrs B For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
sarahg1969
Old 21-04-2007, 11:34 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Here is the information for Help & Support Limited - yet another Lithuanian clothing collection company!

COMPANY APPOINTMENTS
Registered No.: 05834199
Name: HELP AND SUPPORT LIMITED

Address: 137 DOVER ROAD
NORTHFLEET
GRAVESEND
DA11 1QX

TRINOVAS, ARUNAS SECRETARY
137 DOVER ROAD
NORTHFLEET
GRAVESEND
DA11 1QX
Appointed: 01/06/2006
Nationality: BRITISH
Company Appointments: 1

ZVAGZDYS, VYTAUTAS DIRECTOR
137 DOVER ROAD
NORTHFLEET
GRAVESEND
DA11 1QX
Appointed: 01/06/2006
Nationality: LITHUANIAN
Date of Birth: 22/12/1970
Company Appointments: 1
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahg1969 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
lil_me
Old 21-04-2007, 11:50 PM

Send a message via MSN to lil_me

We get loads of companies who are not registered charities dropping leaflets asking for clothing, perfume, mobiles etc. Easy enough to filter out most of the time due to the company number being mentioned but no charity number. Usually a quick search on the internet finds they aren't aswell. From what was said on a few sites they are sometimes just people feeling lucky who sell on ebay, wanting free stuff to sell. I think it's shocking myself, disgusting. I have tried personally warning people locally but only so much you can do. Worst part is most even don't provide a bag unlike most registered charities. I have given one collector a mouth full of my opinion before. I have contacted Trading Standards countless times, nothing done. We also get several a week. Tempted to put flyers out myself warning people but would probably end up in trouble.

Also some charity ones lately I dislike, one said they receive 10% of the proceeds from sales. Sorry I'd rather take it to the shops I know are legit.
One day I might be more organised...........:confused:

Last edited by lil_me; 21-04-2007 at 11:53 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to lil_me For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Uncle Fester
Old 22-04-2007, 12:37 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_me View Post
We get loads of companies who are not registered charities dropping leaflets asking for clothing, perfume, mobiles etc. Easy enough to filter out most of the time due to the company number being mentioned but no charity number. Usually a quick search on the internet finds they aren't aswell. From what was said on a few sites they are sometimes just people feeling lucky who sell on ebay, wanting free stuff to sell. I think it's shocking myself, disgusting. I have tried personally warning people locally but only so much you can do. Worst part is most even don't provide a bag unlike most registered charities. I have given one collector a mouth full of my opinion before. I have contacted Trading Standards countless times, nothing done. We also get several a week. Tempted to put flyers out myself warning people but would probably end up in trouble.

Also some charity ones lately I dislike, one said they receive 10% of the proceeds from sales. Sorry I'd rather take it to the shops I know are legit.
I agree with you, it gives the real Charities a bad name
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Uncle Fester
Old 04-05-2007, 10:27 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Unhappy

I got 4 Today!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
Col.Mastard
Old 13-05-2007, 6:58 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thumbs down

Is this really a Scam?

As I gave them some unwanted cloths recently
The Following User Says Thank You to Col.Mastard For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Little John
Old 14-05-2007, 11:12 PM

Not all are but some are bussinesses making money from it.

sucks really I never leave stuff out and if I have stuff that is still good after I have finished with it it goes to the charity shop, or my mum takes it to where she works and the people she worsk with goes through the bags normally nothing comes back.
The Following User Says Thank You to Little John For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
vikingaero
Old 15-05-2007, 1:32 PM

Most are scams. They have a Hotmail or Yahoo! contact address and claim that they provide employment for sorters and drivers etc. In reality they provide free stock for the big bosses and there are often warnings from Trading Standards in various regions. Some even go as far as snatching the bags that you leave out for Cancer Research, BHF, GOSH, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to vikingaero For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Whyme?
Old 15-05-2007, 1:45 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Unhappy

Stop the junkmail by registering with the mail preference system. Cant remember how you do it, just know you can. It will save lots of hassle, reduce waste and hopefully force the RM to stop accepting to post them (unless they are delivered by hand from the little thieves of course)http://img.moneysavingexpert.com/icons/icon9.gif
Unhappy
The Following User Says Thank You to Whyme? For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
vivatifosi
Old 22-05-2007, 11:35 AM

I telephoned Companies House about a collection company that has been collecting in my area. The company is called Seabeach Ltd. It was collecting locally as of last week. If you look on the Companies House website it says 'Active - Proposal to Strike Off'. I asked Companies House whether the strike off was voluntary or mandatory and they told me Companies House had petitioned for Strike Off and this went in the London Gazette in April. Their annual return is nearly a year overdue and apparently they have no named director or company secretary.

I have complained to both Trading Standards and the Advertising Standards Agency as there is no right of redress with this company and even if they do meet their stated aim of sending clothes to the Third World (unlikely) I don't see how they can collect things and do all this in the limited time they have left in existence.

On a wider level Clothes Aid has pointed out that the bags that they collect for Great Ormond have been stolen by some collection companies see:http://www.clothesaid.co.uk/bogus_collectors.html

And MP Jo Swinson proposed an Early Day Motion at the end of the last year to give greater teeth to the organisations fighting these people, see:
http://edmi.parliament.uk/edmi/EDMDe...96&SESSION=885

Please, Please, Please Martin, make this your next campaign, this time they aren't our millions, they are charities, and how scummy is it to steal from them?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vivatifosi For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
Kimitatsu
Old 23-05-2007, 10:36 AM

Many of these are scams, however if you have clothes to dispose of (including bedding shoes bags belts etc) then try contacting your local school and see if they run a Bag2school collection. This is a proper charity that promotes recycling of clothes to the third world and pays the school PTA (which are usually charities themselves) for the collection. For small schools especially this can be a big boost as these companies pay about £250 per tonne, a large amount to some!

You will probably find as well that if you cannot get the stuff there yourself then someone will pick it up for you.

It does come to somthing though when you have to make this much effort to prevent the scammers!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kimitatsu For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
DKLS
Old 25-05-2007, 12:58 PM

Drive past your local rag mill, I can pretty much guarentee, the owners will be driving a Aston/Ferrari, there is big money in this business.
The Following User Says Thank You to DKLS For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
Dave Brooker
Old 27-05-2007, 11:05 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col.Mastard View Post
Is this really a Scam?

As I gave them some unwanted cloths recently
It's not a scam as such, as on the leaflet it will admit somewhere that they're a business.

Apparantly due to cheap chinese clothes there's not much money to be made by charities collecting clothes anymore.

But as you say they were unwanted clothes, so they did you a favour by collecting them, and it's better that this stuff gets recycled/exported rather than just ending up in a landfill somewhere...
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Brooker For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
Suzi.Q
Old 27-05-2007, 8:43 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyme? View Post
Stop the junkmail by registering with the mail preference system. Cant remember how you do it, just know you can. It will save lots of hassle, reduce waste and hopefully force the RM to stop accepting to post them (unless they are delivered by hand from the little thieves of course)http://img.moneysavingexpert.com/icons/icon9.gif
Unhappy
We get loads of these leaflets, they're all hand delivered unfortunately.
The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi.Q For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
Uncle Fester
Old 06-06-2007, 3:57 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLS View Post
Drive past your local rag mill, I can pretty much guarentee, the owners will be driving a Aston/Ferrari, there is big money in this business.
And it seems to be within the law aswell
# 19
trisontana
Old 06-06-2007, 7:07 PM

On TV the other day it showed that one charity (which collects for Great Ormond Street) is so fed up with unauthorised people stealing their full collection bags, they have equipped two people with motor bikes to follow the vans to see where they end up. This has resulted in several arrests and convictions, and the charity getting a lot of their stuff back.
The Following User Says Thank You to trisontana For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
Col.Mastard
Old 07-06-2007, 6:51 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Unhappy

I got one asking for Furniture today!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Col.Mastard For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread