Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Debt-Free Wannabe > Sort 7 financial things in 7 days (Page 3)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Sort 7 financial things in 7 days
Views: 3,649
# 41
rising from the ashes
Old 09-12-2012, 6:05 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mineallmine View Post
I think my current isa earns about 0.10 interest. So once I find my paperwork I'll ring them to get onto a better deal ASAP. Ideally I should shop around but if I can move quickly and easily from 0.10 to about 2% that's progress. Not perfect but progress. I'll get the papers together and go from there.

I find isas confusing. For instance, if you:-
Have an isa with bank "a" from previous financial years.
Open a new isa this financial year with bank "b".

Can you transfer bank "a" existing funds to a better rated account at bank "a" and also start a new isa, with your new isa allowance, the same year with bank "b"? On paper that feels like 2 new isa accounts but only, rightly, using one's years isa allowance.

I've in the process (ie have the paperwork to sign - ohhhh can't remember if that's got a number or not! ETA - have given it No 6!) of moving last years' monthly saver boiler fund (only 300!) to this one - pays 3.10% to Nov 2013. 60 days notice but if you're looking to stick some money somewhere longish term might be worth a look:
http://www.coventrybuildingsociety.c...cash-isas.aspx

I also find them really confusing as I don't understand why I can't pay more into last years ISA?
Starting again - back on the frugal MSE journey
Groceries & Toiletries: Annual 2080
CCP claim success!

Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rising from the ashes For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 42
mineallmine
Old 09-12-2012, 6:13 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Right I'll bear that offer in mind

I understand, hopefully it's right, that each years isa allowance is visually like a different colour pig! And said pig can only consume so much in total for that year/and overall. So purple pig(!) for 2012/13 = that years isa allowance. So it's almost as if they're sealed shut after year end.

Damn confusing stuff!
Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
Cherryprint: "More stuff = more stuff to tidy up!"
Less things. Less stuff. More life.
Fab thread: Long daily walks
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mineallmine For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 43
rising from the ashes
Old 09-12-2012, 6:33 PM

Quote:
I understand, hopefully it's right, that each years isa allowance is visually like a different colour pig! And said pig can only consume so much in total for that year/and overall. So purple pig(!) for 2012/13 = that years isa allowance.
Will tell DF that one!

He tried to explain it to me but I ended up getting even more confused

BUT what I don't understand - is, if the pig's aren't full for for that year - why can't you pay more to them after that & why do you have to start a new one?
CCP claim success!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rising from the ashes For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 44
mineallmine
Old 09-12-2012, 7:04 PM

I know what you mean rising. Opening one each year is a pain. And the horrendous deal that my one now is just shows how these things should be reviewed and refreshed every year. I guess even if at the very least you ring your existing one to get a better deal for the coming year. Clearly this isn't something I've done for a long time.

It feels like spinning plates!

But I'm hoping that as I simplify things and sort things like this that all this will become easier and less daunting
Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mineallmine For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 45
rising from the ashes
Old 09-12-2012, 8:13 PM

OK .... a wee update - this has highlighted one of my (many!) problems.

I just can't seem to start and finish something (unless really important!)

I guess I'm a bit restricted atm .... but still!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rising from the ashes View Post

1. Write to bank to close old savings account & request a cheque for outstanding balance (only around 3 but hey ...)
2. Write to old employer's pension agency to advise of change of address (moved in 2007 ) and request update pension forecast * have found all pension paperwork ready to write letters - have also discovered a pension I'd forgotten about (tiny one & have tried to close / transfer it in the past which I can't & is a bit of a pain as it's never going to be worth anything!)
3. Write to CU to increase salary deduction to savings account to 20 / month (have been meaning to do this all year)
4. Financial filing - sorting through bags of old stuff from the "forgotten years" # 1 big bag left shredder overheated earlier so hoping it'll work again once it's cooled down!
5. Start new DFW Diary DONE
6. Sort out new ISA for 2012 monthly saver money (boiler fund) Form to sign arrived yesterday BUT it says to enclose a cheque for payment - when it said I could do the transfer online..... no idea where my cheque book is (it will be somewhere safe .... just where is the problem)
CCP claim success!

# 46
mineallmine
Old 09-12-2012, 8:31 PM

How about requesting another cheque book rising, online, at ATM or in branch. Good to have a spare
# 47
WelshWoofer
Old 09-12-2012, 8:41 PM

Not a tremendous amount to report - I did stay in this weekend and so saved money on going out.
I have looked at the direct debits and can't find anything to cut down on - apart from Sky and I don't have movies or sports so there's not much else I can give up apart from the whole thing - not wanting to do that

4 days to payday - not over drawn and have paid all bills and don't need food shopping or petrol so should make it without going into the red.

I get extra pay this month - about 200 - for doing some extra work over half term - its going straight into the sofas account and will then pay off the new sofas on Saturday - no interest paid and 6 months free sofas!
August grocery spending - 50.79 so far
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WelshWoofer For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 48
purple.sarah
Old 10-12-2012, 2:23 AM

Here is my debt free diary:
A Debt Free Journey From Stress to Success
Make 5 a day in July: 169.66/155
Make 10 a day in August: 296.98/310
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to purple.sarah For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 49
mineallmine
Old 10-12-2012, 6:42 PM

Quote:
1. Close an old savings account and cancel the standing order (yes I know this should be straightforward )
2. Open a new savings account with best rate etc
3. Get an ISA for this financial year, again with best rate
4. Check interest rate on old ISA. Consider transfer.
5. Do an up to date inventory of all monthly/yearly direct debits. Check through it.
6. Reconnect the Energy Monitor. See what the thirsty lights/ appliances are. Think how to reduce energy usuage.
7. Research options for loft insultation top up (DIY, MSE newsletter offers)

Anyone want to join me? I'm starting tomorrow 6/12/12.
No 1 is DONE
No 4 is partly DONE
No 7 is DONE. We're going to DIY this.

Slow progress but progress nonetheless. How's everyone else doing?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mineallmine For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 50
mineallmine
Old 10-12-2012, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.sarah View Post
Here is my debt free diary:
A Debt Free Journey From Stress to Success
Great diary
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mineallmine For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 51
rising from the ashes
Old 10-12-2012, 7:27 PM

Quote:
No 7 is DONE. We're going to DIY this.
Ohhhh you've reminded me I got a leaflet offering us insulation (free) on Saturday - must dig it out to ring tomorrow! Ta

ETA found it! Have put on the table so I can't miss it in the morning! (and will add to my daily to do list)
CCP claim success!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rising from the ashes For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 52
purple.sarah
Old 10-12-2012, 8:52 PM

Default 2. Join more money saving challenges

I've joined these challenges:
Pay off as much as you can in 2013 challenge
I'm going for 3000. I'm not actually sure how we're going to achieve this but we can look for jobs and opportunities to up our income. The New Year feels full of new possibilities!

No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries in December
Previously, I've bought toiletries because they looked nice and never got round to using them, so now I'm going to save money and go through my 'stash'.

We Are Decking the Halls with NSDs December Challenge
I'm going to go for 10 NSDs total and 4 in a row.

Daydream thread continues.....
For people who dream of owning a smallholding or a house with loads of land.

Foraging Challenge 2012
The challenge is to supplement your families food with one foraged item a week. I've always wanted to try foraging for food but not got around to it, so this challenge has inspired me to go for it. I'm not sure my family will so enthusiastic though!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to purple.sarah For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 53
mineallmine
Old 10-12-2012, 9:39 PM

The toiletry thread is a great one to do. It's so easy to get lured into deals, offers etc. But we can only use so much of this stuff.
My mum used to have one boujois blusher. We don't need loads of stuff
# 54
rising from the ashes
Old 11-12-2012, 6:59 AM

I started the Toiletries one in November - I inventoried everything and think I had around 180 items (not incl nail varnishes etc!). I did keep track of the use ups etc for a while but then lost track

I've only bought 2 new things since - both needed - and think some things will last for most of next year!
CCP claim success!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rising from the ashes For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 55
mineallmine
Old 11-12-2012, 9:28 AM

Progress update! Got quite a bit done now. It still feels hard and like a minefield reading through everything. But it's worth it. To know money will now be working harder for it's keep.This will definitely be a rolling 7 days challenge as I'm thinking of things to do once I've done this list. Things like get an up to date credit report
Quote:
1. Close an old savings account and cancel the standing order (yes I know this should be straightforward )
DONE!

2. Open a new savings account with best rate etc

3. Get an ISA for this financial year, again with best rate
DONE!

4. Check interest rate on old ISA. Consider transfer.
PARTLY DONE... AWAITING TRANSFER FORM (WHY IS THIS SO COMPLEX?)

5. Do an up to date inventory of all monthly/yearly direct debits. Check through it.
PARTLY DONE, SOME CHANGES STARTED/MADE

6. Reconnect the Energy Monitor. See what the thirsty lights/ appliances are. Think how to reduce energy usuage.

7. Research options for loft insultation top up (DIY, MSE newsletter offers)
DONE!

Anyone want to join me? I'm starting tomorrow 6/12/12.
How's everyone else doing?
The Following User Says Thank You to mineallmine For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 56
ChopinonaBudget
Old 11-12-2012, 9:39 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Location: Never far from a piano. Oh, look, there's one over there!

Quote:
Progress update! Got quite a bit done now. It still feels hard and like a minefield reading through everything. But it's worth it. To know money will now be working harder for it's keep.This will definitely be a rolling 7 days challenge as I'm thinking of things to do once I've done this list. Things like get an up to date credit report

How's everyone else doing?
Sounds like you're making a load of progress there

I've been waylaid... Accountant has asked for paperwork, I just spent the last few days trying to find it I've found some of it, and was up till late lat night organising 2,700 worth of receipts (oops)

But, both my savings accounts are now open, I can start looking at a car at the end of this month (well, put money aside anyway) so that's excellent news as I haven't had one for probably 8 years
Overdraft PAID! Smile PAID! Natwest 681 M&S 2,407 Halifax 2,665 Nationwide 5,635 Mum 5,390 Library Fines 21
Tax Fund 53 House Fund 85 Yearly Spends Fund 2 Emergency Fund ISA 391
Long Hauler #325 DFW Nerd #1448
"In our house, when things break, we just pretend they still work"
The Following User Says Thank You to ChopinonaBudget For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 57
mineallmine
Old 11-12-2012, 9:39 AM

This is a really good thread about current ISA offers http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...d.php?t=401374
The Following User Says Thank You to mineallmine For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 58
mineallmine
Old 11-12-2012, 9:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopinonaBudget View Post
Sounds like you're making a load of progress there

I've been waylaid... Accountant has asked for paperwork, I just spent the last few days trying to find it I've found some of it, and was up till late lat night organising 2,700 worth of receipts (oops)

But, both my savings accounts are now open, I can start looking at a car at the end of this month (well, put money aside anyway) so that's excellent news as I haven't had one for probably 8 years
Well done on the savings accounts And the prospect of a car
I find looking on YouTube for some things help. So could you search for something like... how I organise papers for my accountant? Worth a punt?

Now crack on and find the rest of the receipts
# 59
ChopinonaBudget
Old 11-12-2012, 9:51 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Location: Never far from a piano. Oh, look, there's one over there!

Quote:
Well done on the savings accounts And the prospect of a car
I find looking on YouTube for some things help. So could you search for something like... how I organise papers for my accountant? Worth a punt?

Now crack on and find the rest of the receipts
Not unless it has a channel with someone telling me to look in the the "wicker basket in the cabinet, no not that one, the other one, well try behind the printer then, or down the back of the piano"

Ta for the support though I'm really chuffed about the prospect of a car, I don't really know how imminent it actually is, but this is the closest I've got yet, so I'm takin it!
Overdraft PAID! Smile PAID! Natwest 681 M&S 2,407 Halifax 2,665 Nationwide 5,635 Mum 5,390 Library Fines 21
Tax Fund 53 House Fund 85 Yearly Spends Fund 2 Emergency Fund ISA 391
Long Hauler #325 DFW Nerd #1448
"In our house, when things break, we just pretend they still work"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChopinonaBudget For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 60
rising from the ashes
Old 11-12-2012, 10:10 AM

Making progress ..... slowly

Quote:
Originally Posted by rising from the ashes View Post
1. Write to bank to close old savings account & request a cheque for outstanding balance (only around 3 but hey ...)
2. Write to old employer's pension agency to advise of change of address (moved in 2007 ) and request update pension forecast * have found all pension paperwork ready to write letters - have also discovered a pension I'd forgotten about (tiny one & have tried to close / transfer it in the past which I can't & is a bit of a pain as it's never going to be worth anything!)
3. Write to CU to increase salary deduction to savings account to 20 / month (have been meaning to do this all year)
4. Financial filing - sorting through bags of old stuff from the "forgotten years" # 1 big bag left shredder overheated earlier so hoping it'll work again once it's cooled down!
5. Start new DFW Diary DONE
6. Sort out new ISA for 2012 monthly saver money (boiler fund) Form to sign arrived yesterday BUT it says to enclose a cheque for payment - when it said I could do the transfer online..... no idea where my cheque book is (it will be somewhere safe .... just where is the problem) DONE! Found cheque book (last cheque written in 2009 ), completed, in envelope & sitting to take to post the next time I go out! ETA have just remembered to move the funds to the account that the cheque will be coming out of!
7. Sort mobile cashback claim - recorded delivery returned by RM .... DONE! Turns out they'd moved all sorted now! (hopefully - will see if the cheque arrives!)
Have added my No 7!

Not going to make 7 in 7 days tho!

I do think it needs to be some sort of rolling list ..... I've ended up doing lots of little extra things that've cropped up as working my way through!
CCP claim success!

Last edited by rising from the ashes; 11-12-2012 at 10:19 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rising from the ashes For This Useful Post: Show me >>