Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    mineallmine
    Sort 7 financial things in 7 days
    • 5th Dec 12, 4:04 PM
    Sort 7 financial things in 7 days 5th Dec 12 at 4:04 PM
    Hi,

If this thread should sit somewhere else can a Mod please move

I find the "What small DFW things will you do today?" thread really useful. I have some big DFW things I need to do but put off. I'd like to sort these things I hate doing quickly. The idea is to sort 7 financial things in 7 days. And not wait until the New Year to start. I need to:

1. Close an old savings account and cancel the standing order (yes I know this should be straightforward )
    DONE!

2. Open a new savings account with best rate etc

3. Get an ISA for this financial year, again with best rate
    DONE!

4. Check interest rate on old ISA. Consider transfer.
    DONE... AWAITING TRANSFER FORM.

5. Do an up to date inventory of all monthly/yearly direct debits. Check through it.
    DONE!

6. Reconnect the Energy Monitor. See what the thirsty lights/ appliances are. Think how to reduce energy usuage.

7. Research options for loft insultation top up (DIY, MSE newsletter offers)
    DONE!

Anyone want to join me? I'm starting tomorrow 6/12/12.

Achieved 5/7 last week so not bad considering I hate doing stuff like this and put it off

So here's the next list including any items not achieved last week:

1. Open a new savings account

2. Find paperwork for closing another old dusty savings account. Cancel the standing order

3. Find paperwork for old ISA

4. Get hubby to reconnect the Energy Monitor to highlight thirsty lights/appliances

5. Do an inventory of all Direct Debits in main account

6. Create a new budget spreadsheet for 2013

7. Sort an awkward goods return using Martins consumer guide in this weeks newsletter

So this is all about getting these ruddy bigger things sorted and done. Consolidating savings. Using ISA allowances/best deals.
    Originally posted by mineallmine
    Last edited by mineallmine; 15-12-2012 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Some progress made!
    Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
    Cherryprint: "More stuff = more stuff to tidy up!"
    Less things. Less stuff. More life.
    Fab thread: Long daily walks
Page 2
    • rising from the ashes
    • By rising from the ashes 6th Dec 12, 5:16 PM
    • 12,236 Posts
    • 59,061 Thanks
    rising from the ashes
    Well - No 5 crossed off!

I've been thinking of starting a new diary for a while - current one has been around since 2011 and a lot of things are different now & have different challenges to face.

All done!
    Back on the frugal MSE journey
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
    1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #76 375 / 1,000
    Vet Fund: 350.28 / 1,000
  • mineallmine
    That's brilliant Rising!
    Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
  • ChopinonaBudget
    Welcome aboard ChopinonaBudget! You've some crunchy things to do there. That 37% is robbing you of funds that you could use elsewhere. That's a great one to sort out
    Originally posted by mineallmine
    Thanks! I admit I was shocked when I read that. I took out the direct debit option as in August I had no choice; but !!!
    Overdraft 150 Smile PAID! Natwest 679 M&S 2,347 Halifax 2,665 Nationwide 5,579 Mum 5,390 Library Fines 21
    Tax Fund 288 House Fund 170 Yearly Spends Fund 65 Emergency Fund ISA 191
    Long Hauler #325 DFW Nerd #1448
    "In our house, when things break, we just pretend they still work"
  • mineallmine
    Just watched a BBC breakfast piece about energy saving using a monitor. A thirsty heater in a conservatory was one of the culprits.

Hubby to complete the second part of 1. So I'll keeping nagging I mean reminding about that.

Today I'll sort 5. The inventory of all direct debits. Some are monthly. Some are yearly. Some are taken for 10 months of the year. Be useful to go through these.

How's everyone getting on?
  • lessonlearned
    A pile of ironing first then tackle one drawer from filing cabinet. Go through each file, see what can be shredded and what needs to be kept or needs attention.

Hoping for exchange of contracts next week then can sign lease to rental and arrange for new house insurance and utilities.

Have double checked utility prices - we're on a fixed rate with Scottish Power, cannot better that so we'll stick them.
  • mineallmine
    [QUOTE=mineallmine;57766291]Today I'll sort 5. The inventory of all direct debits. Some are monthly. Some are yearly. Some are taken for 10 months of the year. Be useful to go through these./QUOTE]
    Migraine stops play. So a change of plan. Looking at interest rates for a new savings account instead of the direct debits today.
  • WelshWoofer
    I had a look at my direct debits too - very little that can be changed there. My big downfall is small spending that all adds up so will try to keep a closer eye on that this week.

Might have a look for ebayable things this weekend too.
    And have already written a shopping list for the weekend - essentials only, using things up that are already in.
    January grocery spending - 82.73/ 120
  • mineallmine
    No 1 is complete

Savings accounts research done. 2 contenders. Might do that drip feed thing that the MSE savings guide mentions. So will try and sort that over the weekend.

Apart from realisation of how bad interest rates are. It's also all the restrictions about payments in, withdrawals and bonuses.

It's no wonder I put this stuff off
  • mineallmine
    Today's task is to reconnect the energy monitor. This helped us save quite a bit last time we used this. Found an interesting website called ecofreak. Already made me think I could turn the radiator thermostats down in certain rooms. Does anyone know if you can buy a dimmable energy efficient bulb? Traditional energy bulbs can't be used with dimmer switches but I don't know if other types are the same.

Will also try and check out my existing isa interest rate.

How's everyone else doing?
    • rising from the ashes
    • By rising from the ashes 9th Dec 12, 8:07 AM
    • 12,236 Posts
    • 59,061 Thanks
    rising from the ashes
    Not doing too well I'm afraid

Probably not the best week for me to be attempting this - was at the hospital all day on Friday so nothing achieved then and was totally wiped out & slept nearly all of yesterday as a result!

Still pretty shattered today but will attempt to do a little shredding!

Then back to the hospital again tomorrow ... which means Tuesday will probably be another write off day - very frustrating!
  • mineallmine
    Take it easy rising. A little bit of shredding will keep things ticking over. Now rest
  • ChopinonaBudget
    Take care rising, and yes to shredding! I've always found shredding to be magnificently relaxing. Or is that just me?
    Overdraft 150 Smile PAID! Natwest 679 M&S 2,347 Halifax 2,665 Nationwide 5,579 Mum 5,390 Library Fines 21
  • ChopinonaBudget
    I've added some stuff too now...

Reapply for driving licence (mine is expired).
    Apply for new job when application form arrives.
    Sort out all the paperwork new accountant has asked for
    Change love film CPA to new current account (oops)

Busy week doing financial stuff!

Edit: I think my 7 days might be a rolling 7. Just don't tell the trades descriptions act people, ssshhhh...
    • rising from the ashes
    • By rising from the ashes 9th Dec 12, 12:30 PM
    • 12,236 Posts
    • 59,061 Thanks
    rising from the ashes
    I've always found shredding to be magnificently relaxing. Or is that just me?
    Originally posted by ChopinonaBudget
    Thanks everyone - just a little frustrated how easily the smallest things wipe me out for ages ... but I'm getting there!

Re shredding ... very theraputic (sp?) - especially when it's loads of old c/card bills / letters with demands on etc ...
  • mineallmine
    Amen to nasty old bills getting shredded
    • rising from the ashes
    • By rising from the ashes 9th Dec 12, 4:10 PM
    • 12,236 Posts
    • 59,061 Thanks
    rising from the ashes
    No 2 well I've made a start and have managed to find all the paperwork relating to my pensions!

In 2 separate places / files I will add so no wonder nothing made sense!

Will have a sort through / write letters on Tuesday.

Realistically - not a lot going to happen tomorrow as I'll be away from around 8 and prob not back until late afternoon .....

No 1 will also write letter to close the account on Tuesday

Keep plugging away everyone!
  • purple.sarah
    Great idea for a thread! I'd like to join, if I'm not too late. Here are my 7 things:
    1. Start a debt free diary.
    2. Join more money saving challenges.
    3. Meeting with CAB for advice about an issue we're having with Housing Benefit
    4. File our financial paperwork.
    5. Apply for 5 jobs.
    6. Find things to sell on eBay.
    7. Post a SOA.
    Make 15 a day in October: 28/465

October NSD Challenge: 1/10
  • mineallmine
    Good stuff rising
    Welcome purplesarah not too late, this will probably be a rolling 7 things in 7 days challenge. Welcome aboard.

Energy monitor game stopped play on account of no spare batteries for the devices. Which is a pain but probably need some batteries anyway as part of preparing for winter.

And now I feel utterly sick. I think my current isa earns about 0.10 interest. So once I find my paperwork I'll ring them to get onto a better deal ASAP. Ideally I should shop around but if I can move quickly and easily from 0.10 to about 2% that's progress. Not perfect but progress. I'll get the papers together and go from there.

I find isas confusing. For instance, if you:-
    Have an isa with bank "a" from previous financial years.
    Open a new isa this financial year with bank "b".

Can you transfer bank "a" existing funds to a better rated account at bank "a" and also start a new isa, with your new isa allowance, the same year with bank "b"? On paper that feels like 2 new isa accounts but only, rightly, using one's years isa allowance.

Last edited by mineallmine; 09-12-2012 at 5:56 PM.
  • catslovelycats
    I'll join, too !
    my 7 things:
    1. sort out new piggybanking accounts for new year
    2. find new account to use for 2013 VSP
    3. change mortgage OP to 700
    4. chase closure of old halifax savings accounts - letter to bank in Nov not yet actioned
    5. N&P acc closure - use bal to OP mtg
    6. decide once and for all which of my money apps I'll stick with!
    7. sort out budget spreadsheet for 2013 and mtg op spreadsheet

this thread is a fab idea!
    MFW2014 2228.34/2K MFW2015 #80 6649.08/9K May
    MTG 130KFEB10 105972.90DEC13 97037.12DEC14 (157 repays MAY15 exp JUN28)
  • mineallmine
    Thanks catslovely cats! And welcome aboard

Hopefully by reading one another's lists will make us think - I need to sort that
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

177Posts Today

1,631Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MoneySavingExp: Hi folks - the site will be down from 10pm tonight until 8am tomorrow while we re-charge the batteries with some behind?

• Uk dominating world long jump.Who'd have thought it. Kathy Cook's British 200m record about to go I think. #Beijing2015

• RT @MoneySavingExp: If you're affected by the #HSBC payments glitch, here's what you need to do (more to follow, when we get it): http://t.?

• Follow Martin