IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Build my credit score
Views: 1,093
# 1
JemmaWay
Old 04-12-2012, 11:24 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Build my credit score

I have recently come out of a bad credit history and have now settled all defaults on my credit file and have a score of excellent. However the negative on my account now is that I have no regular repayments. I was considering getting a store card of some sort to help boost this and ensure that regular payments are made. I am in the process of buying my first house with my partner so need to do all I can to ensure my credit score is as good as it could be. Is this a good idea????
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to JemmaWay For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
ScotlandM
Old 05-12-2012, 10:12 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Similar Question

Hi, I'm similar in that I want to build a good score.

Is it true that having a mobile phone on contract will be good too?
What about a magazine subscription?

Is there any point having 2 phones, a magazine and a pair of credit cards? Or do they all tick the same box and so only need 1?
Thanks anyone, ScotlandM
# 3
JemmaWay
Old 05-12-2012, 10:20 AM
MoneySaving Convert

That's exactly what I've been told have your mobile phone bill as direct debit is a good place to start. I am just unsure whether to get a credit card &/or store card.

Any advice
# 4
Moneymash
Old 05-12-2012, 10:27 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

The best thing to do is get a credit card with a modest limit and use it to do all your food shopping on. Then set up a Direct debit to pay the balance off in full every month. If you set up a DD you won't miss any payments, your balance will be paid off in full and you won't incur any interest.

If you use it for your food shopping this would be money you would have spent anyway.
LBM April 2011 21,140.17 now 0 100% paid off
Debt-Free day 30th September 2014

Save 12k in 2014 426.51/4000

Last edited by Moneymash; 05-12-2012 at 10:28 AM. Reason: spelling
The Following User Says Thank You to Moneymash For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
abundant1972
Old 05-12-2012, 10:32 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

This thread is helpful for me too...

I predict my debt free date to be just under 2 years by which time defaults will have dropped off my records also... I would like to be in a position to maybe get my own place and would need a good credit rating for that...

I have 2 years to start improving it... I have a credit card (500 limit with zero balance at present) which I was going to cut up, as have now saved money for emergencies. If putting small amounts on each month and clearing it in full helps then I might do that. I do have a mobile phone contract on direct debit also.

Thanks for the advice...

Debt Free by October 31st 2014 : Remaining Debt = 500.00/12,500 (96% Cleared)
1 Debt vs 100 Days : 1750/2250 by 09th October

*** As my debt diminishes - the door to financial freedom opens that bit more ***
October Triathlon # 21 : SFD =6/16 : Food/Spends =105/120 : Gym =5/12 Sessions
Payment a Day : 50.00 so far
# 6
ScotlandM
Old 05-12-2012, 1:09 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Jemma - Get a credit card rather than a store card and as moneymash suggest use it for purchases you'd make anyway.
There are other threads about selecting a card and too many applications in a short period also looks bad.

I don't know if having more than one card, having more than one phone would be twice as good or not. Also a magazine subscription works in the same way as a phone contract so I thought it might help a credit rating
Thanks
# 7
liltdiddylilt
Old 05-12-2012, 1:49 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Location: Hogwarts School of Witchcraft & Wizardry.. Term-time only

Try applying for a cashback credit card, and use it for your food shopping as said above. A DD which pays it off in full each month is a great way to boost your credit score. You'll also get money back for doing so!

I know your credit score is 'excellent' but make sure you check ALL t&c's of the credit card you are applying for to make sure that you are eligible before applying. Minimise your risk of being rejected & having that mark your credit history.

Regarding a mortgage, lenders are looking for 12 months with only 1 late payment in total allowed. Make sure you don't even MISS a payment, let alone default on anything to boost yoiur chances of getting a good mortgage rate.

Good luck!
October Triathlon: SFD: 13/16||Groceries: 160.16/130||Food Bank: 0/5||Walking: 38 Miles||Mindfulness: 18/31
FD Saver: 3000.00/3600.00 Xmas Fund: 276.25 (& 132.68 spent) Insurance: 40 (Nov) Emergency Fund: 888.42
"A black belt only covers 2 inches of your a$$. You have to cover the rest." - Royce Gracie
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to liltdiddylilt For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
unimaginative user name
Old 05-12-2012, 2:04 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

As lilydiddylilt says a cashback credit card would give you the added advantage of money back. Not all cashback cards accept people with a poor credit history but Aqua Reward seems to be the exception offering 3% up to a maximum of 100 cashback a year.
# 9
JemmaWay
Old 05-12-2012, 2:06 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thank you everyone all really helpful. Wary of messing the credit file up so wanted to investigate before I started applying. Any other advice welcome but thank you for your suggestions so far x
# 10
sarah222
Old 05-12-2012, 2:06 PM
MoneySaving Convert

you can get cash plus prepay credit card and build your credit score without incurring debt!
# 11
bumblebee xxx
Old 05-12-2012, 6:30 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hello ill tell you about my sutuation, the only thing I had credit wise is a contract 4 years still using it never missed a payment etc applied for a car Loan got declined excellent credit history then 3 months later called credit expert to get some advice they told me to get a credit card have done so my credit score has dropped to 444 they say I have 5 negotive things now because my credit limited is low 250 paid in full each month etc all the negotive things relate to this credit card so I now trying to build my score back up which think will take months x
# 12
JemmaWay
Old 05-12-2012, 7:04 PM
MoneySaving Convert

So how are you trying to build it back up? Have you been given some advice on that?
# 13
JemmaWay
Old 05-12-2012, 7:05 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Sarah do you know how the cash plus prepaid cards actually help with credit scores? Slightly confused by them because you decide the amount you put on and spend so not paying anything back?
# 14
bumblebee xxx
Old 06-12-2012, 10:39 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hello yeah credit expert said that the more it gets updated monthly the better it will get i find no win situation x
# 15
stupot_99
Old 07-12-2012, 3:45 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee xxx View Post
Hello ill tell you about my sutuation, the only thing I had credit wise is a contract 4 years still using it never missed a payment etc applied for a car Loan got declined excellent credit history then 3 months later called credit expert to get some advice they told me to get a credit card have done so my credit score has dropped to 444 they say I have 5 negotive things now because my credit limited is low 250 paid in full each month etc all the negotive things relate to this credit card so I now trying to build my score back up which think will take months x

Dont worry it wont take long to bounce back as the same thing happened to mewhen i upgraded my Bank Acc once it showed a month of good trading it went back to what it was pre application
# 16
JemmaWay
Old 10-12-2012, 9:52 PM
MoneySaving Convert

We have just heard back from one mortgage advisor to say no they will not lend because of the ccj. They have advised to wait 3 years and we would stand a better possibility of obtaining a mortgage. We don't really want to have to do this. Can anyone give us any advice please? Is it worth getting a second opinion?
# 17
Tixy
Old 11-12-2012, 11:41 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Hi Jemma

You hadn't mention having a CCJ before - what is the date of your CCJ, and how much was it for?

Some people have been able to get a mortgage with a CCJ, but usually only if the CCJ is old, say 4-5years old, and even then they can only get subprime mortgages which have a higher APR and require a higher % deposit. What percentage deposit do you have saved up?

As an aside - if you have a CCJ showing on your credit file and settled defaults still showing, then depsite what score or category the credit reference agency sells to you, you will be considered by potential lenders to have a poor credit history and to be high risk.

You asked in an earlier post about how the cashplus prepaid card works in terms of your credit file - its a last resort option for someone trying to build a credit history who cannot get a subprime credit card. Effectively there is a annual fee for the card which is charged monthly, and it is this that is shown on your credit file - as a small loan of 60(?) that you are repaying over a year. What you load on the card and spend is irrelevant (providing you always have the money to pay the monthly fee).
A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
or "It costs nowt to be nice"
# 18
JemmaWay
Old 16-12-2012, 12:13 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi Tixy,

The CCJ was paid and settled in Jan 2011. I have a certificate if satisfaction and it is no longer showing on my credit file. I have no defaults and my score is 989 however I know due to the lack of credit my score appears low when people search. I have heard the after a year of the ccj being satisfied you are more likely to receive some credit I.e some credit cards. I have recently had my phone bill put into my name and now pay by DD. I was also thinking of obtaining some type of store card? Also do you know much on regards to my parents being a garentor on the mortgage would that's help us progress further?

Thank you for the advice on the PP cards