Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 54
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 13th Jun 17, 9:22 PM
    • 10,927 Posts
    • 7,316 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    Thank you. Your input is really appreciated.

When I cost up RM this is what I get at 1.9kg

Parcel, 1.9kg, worth up to £2000

Parcelforce Worldwide
    globalexpress
    More details
    Guaranteed from 2 days Up to £2000 for loss or damage Tracked
    £160.85
    Originally posted by MsCrow
    When you do the price finder, click on SMALL PARCEL - actually I'm looking at my business account, apologies, it may be less size/less value for over the counter for RM.

http://www.royalmail.com/price-finder
    • MsCrow
    • By MsCrow 13th Jun 17, 9:27 PM
    • 518 Posts
    • 393 Thanks
    MsCrow
    I think that must be it as I had selected small parcel. Bah humbug!
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 13th Jun 17, 9:28 PM
    • 10,927 Posts
    • 7,316 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    I think that must be it as I had selected small parcel. Bah humbug!
    I think it is the value. Apols, as I said above, I was looking from our RM business account, not the over-the-counter rate.

Is it 2k retail or wholesale? Can you reduce the value? It may be a carrier is the best value unless you can split the shipment (difficult with one length of fabric).
    • MsCrow
    • By MsCrow 14th Jun 17, 1:45 PM
    • 518 Posts
    • 393 Thanks
    MsCrow
    I couldn't reduce it unfortunately. I'm returning it to its owner and it's one of two made so I need to insure to full value. Ho hum. It's going not to the Netherlands for the maker to clean and send it on so the quote is £55 now. That's via transglobal DPD. Which is ok.
    • martindow
    • By martindow 15th Jun 17, 11:19 AM
    • 7,175 Posts
    • 3,989 Thanks
    martindow
    That's via transglobal DPD. Which is ok.
    Have you checked that it is covered? Carriers have lots of exclusions but will happily accept the premium for insuring it. Have a read through here

http://www.dpd.co.uk/terms-and-conditions.jsp

If, for example, your item was considered as antique it would not be covered.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 15th Jun 17, 2:44 PM
    • 32,405 Posts
    • 27,172 Thanks
    custardy
    Have you checked that it is covered? Carriers have lots of exclusions but will happily accept the premium for insuring it. Have a read through here

http://www.dpd.co.uk/terms-and-conditions.jsp

If, for example, your item was considered as antique it would not be covered.
    Originally posted by martindow
    Also better to ensure the op checks transglobals T&Cs.
    Often differ from the carrier direct.
    • strawberries1
    • By strawberries1 16th Jun 17, 2:31 PM
    • 608 Posts
    • 135 Thanks
    strawberries1
    What's the cheapest way to post from the US to the UK please? 14cm x 14cm x 10cm weight 1kg.
    • HHNN
    • By HHNN 1st Jul 17, 12:23 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    HHNN
    Fair pay for couriers
    I know this site is about saving money but Martin also has a good reputation for championing underdogs. Any idea how I can find out which courier firms treat their people fairly?
    • mrcol1000
    • By mrcol1000 1st Jul 17, 6:39 PM
    • 4,353 Posts
    • 3,746 Thanks
    mrcol1000
    I know this site is about saving money but Martin also has a good reputation for championing underdogs. Any idea how I can find out which courier firms treat their people fairly?
    Originally posted by HHNN
    None of them. Couriers are there to make money, not treat people fairly. The courier business is cut throat and so there is not wiggle room to treat employees well. Royal Mail probably treats employees the best because it used to be public owned and so has the shackles of that and a strong union to keep it in check.

Out of all the couriers my business deals with, DPD always seems the happiest and moans the least about the company.
    • AFixhold
    • By AFixhold 18th Jul 17, 11:27 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AFixhold
    Alternative Cheap Parcel Delivery
    Occasionally I use alternative services such as Poland mail forwarding or Polish post office box on Fiverr.
    Last edited by AFixhold; 19-07-2017 at 3:25 PM.
    • Stan.In.Devon
    • By Stan.In.Devon 20th Jul 17, 5:03 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Stan.In.Devon
    Re. My Hermes.
    I admit to not having read through all 50 odd pages on this topic.

But I spotted that he very first entry (five years ago) was to say how poor My Hermes was then. I see that people are still saying much the same in recent days- but I would imagine there will have been both positive as well as negative responses in between.

I dropped my 5kg parcel off at my local Hermes collection shop in Devon at 4.30pm two days ago. I've just checked the tracking page (which works easily and efficiently) and it has shown the progress right up to the point of signature at 11 o'clock this morning at the other end, in Milton Keynes. That was pretty good in my opinion.

Including the fee for the signature it cost £6.79p. (No additional insurance was purchased|).

Royal Mail would have been £14.85 (second class signed for) or £16.85 (first class signed for) with no additional insurance.

No complaints here.
    • mrcol1000
    • By mrcol1000 20th Jul 17, 7:28 PM
    • 4,353 Posts
    • 3,746 Thanks
    mrcol1000
    I admit to not having read through all 50 odd pages on this topic.

But I spotted that he very first entry (five years ago) was to say how poor My Hermes was then. I see that people are still saying much the same in recent days- but I would imagine there will have been both positive as well as negative responses in between.

I dropped my 5kg parcel off at my local Hermes collection shop in Devon at 4.30pm two days ago. I've just checked the tracking page (which works easily and efficiently) and it has shown the progress right up to the point of signature at 11 o'clock this morning at the other end, in Milton Keynes. That was pretty good in my opinion.

Including the fee for the signature it cost £6.79p. (No additional insurance was purchased|).

Royal Mail would have been £14.85 (second class signed for) or £16.85 (first class signed for) with no additional insurance.

No complaints here.
    Originally posted by Stan.In.Devon

Problem is that people only post when they are unhappy. If you tried to find a courier based on online reviews you'd be forced to deliver it yourself. I have sent 1000s of parcels with My Hermes and rarely have a problem.
    • grburgess100
    • By grburgess100 1st Aug 17, 2:42 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    grburgess100
    Parcel2go
    Same story for me. Said that no-one was home???? Person waiting. Courier they used did not attempt to leave message.This was May 11th.I eventually received the package back on July 29th via MYHERMES. PARCL2GO HAVE agreed to refund my costs but what about the non-receiver. How upset is he?
    You may draw your own conclusions about PARCEL2GO. It is an internet call centre organisation with scripted replies to your questions. They prevaricate and avoid any truth because they do not know where your package actually is!. You have no access via telephone in case of lost items and they did not know who was the courier in Spain who had attempted to deliver. Good luck.
    • Tagatose
    • By Tagatose 1st Aug 17, 3:04 PM
    • 253 Posts
    • 1,967 Thanks
    Tagatose
    myHermes is doing a summer sale right now

• thoatswold
    • By thoatswold 10th Aug 17, 10:03 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    thoatswold
    I have just read through the Cheap Parcel Delivery page for help with sending an 8kg package within the UK using drop-off and deliver. While the general advice and links are still valid and helpful, I found that the specific advice is out of date and no longer useful. I found the cheapest deal was DPD via Parcel2Go (£5.89 inc VAT), The second best was UPS via ParcelsPlease (£7.98). The featured company ParcelHero was £8.96 (or £8.25 for first-time users with the 8% MSE discount). Given the difficulty in keeping price information updated, I think it would be more helpful simply to list the companies likely to give best value, with working links, and let the users check them out for ourselves.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 11th Aug 17, 7:06 AM
    • 10,927 Posts
    • 7,316 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    I have just read through the Cheap Parcel Delivery page for help with sending an 8kg package within the UK using drop-off and deliver. While the general advice and links are still valid and helpful, I found that the specific advice is out of date and no longer useful. I found the cheapest deal was DPD via Parcel2Go (£5.89 inc VAT), The second best was UPS via ParcelsPlease (£7.98). The featured company ParcelHero was £8.96 (or £8.25 for first-time users with the 8% MSE discount). Given the difficulty in keeping price information updated, I think it would be more helpful simply to list the companies likely to give best value, with working links, and let the users check them out for ourselves.
    Originally posted by thoatswold
    If you sold it on eBay you can use Shutl which is UPS 24 hour with £60 compensation for £5.75 for up to 10kg. If you have sold something in the last 90 days you can still use it to reprint a label for the address you now need.
    • europa
    • By europa 21st Aug 17, 9:09 AM
    • 76 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    europa
    As per post #1075, for 5-15kg packages DPD via Parcel2Go is the cheapest at the moment. But myHermes is next cheapest i think.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,696Posts Today

7,800Users online

Martin's Twitter