Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 53
    • soolin
    • By soolin 8th May 17, 9:09 AM
    • 59,279 Posts
    • 42,017 Thanks
    soolin
    Hi,
    I want buy something on eBay but, as it is collection only, seller says we must arrange our own courier.

We are waiting for approx measurements and weight from seller but know it will be approximately 2 metres in length once packaged.

It's fibreglass so won't be too heavy but all sites I try for quotes have a max 150cm policy.

Does anyone know anywhere that will send a parcel of this length please?
    I found one but they quoted £170 plus vat!

Thank you.
    Originally posted by Clutterfree

Just a warning here, are you sure you want to trust the seller to pack this sufficiently for your courier's requirement? AS you are arranging and paying for your own courier if it doesn't meet the courier packaging guidelines (some are quite strict about the box and wrapping) and parcel is refused on collection you end up with the bill , also if it is damaged then you have to pay for it to be returned as well.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Clutterfree
    • By Clutterfree 8th May 17, 9:20 AM
    • 3,454 Posts
    • 18,949 Thanks
    Clutterfree
    Hi,
    I want buy something on eBay but, as it is collection only, seller says we must arrange our own courier.

We are waiting for approx measurements and weight from seller but know it will be approximately 2 metres in length once packaged.

It's fibreglass so won't be too heavy but all sites I try for quotes have a max 150cm policy.

Thank you.

Just a warning here, are you sure you want to trust the seller to pack this sufficiently for your courier's requirement? AS you are arranging and paying for your own courier if it doesn't meet the courier packaging guidelines (some are quite strict about the box and wrapping) and parcel is refused on collection you end up with the bill , also if it is damaged then you have to pay for it to be returned as well.
    Originally posted by soolin
    I agree with you completely and I don't want to buy it but my husband won't listen.
    He is insistent because the item is a "one off" - he is correct, we won't be able to get one elsewhere and I've told him that I've yet to find a courier to send it but he still insists we bid and we'll sort the courier after.

Can anyone help please?!
    Last edited by Clutterfree; 08-05-2017 at 9:22 AM.
    Ageing is a privilege not everyone gets
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 8th May 17, 9:26 AM
    • 3,109 Posts
    • 1,798 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    Try https://www.shiply.com/ Couriers / Members bid to take your item.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • martindow
    • By martindow 8th May 17, 10:20 AM
    • 7,199 Posts
    • 4,010 Thanks
    martindow
    Hi,

Thank you.
    As others have said, there are potential pitfalls arranging for it to be delivered. Is it out of the question to pick it up? It sounds as if that might be the best solution even if it is some distance away. It also allows you to have a look before you hand your money over. You certainly don't want to be paying for sending it back as well!
    • Clutterfree
    • By Clutterfree 8th May 17, 3:48 PM
    • 3,454 Posts
    • 18,949 Thanks
    Clutterfree
    Thanks for all your replies.
    Too far to collect as it's 3 and a half hours one way!

We won the auction for £140 less than our max bid so are happy with that.
    Had a couple of quotes from Shiply who don't require packing so fingers crossed it works out.
    Slightly concerned that they'll collect but not deliver to us but I'm a born worrier!
    Ageing is a privilege not everyone gets
    • custardy
    • By custardy 8th May 17, 3:53 PM
    • 32,493 Posts
    • 27,241 Thanks
    custardy
    Thanks for all your replies.
    Too far to collect as it's 3 and a half hours one way!

We won the auction for £140 less than our max bid so are happy with that.
    Had a couple of quotes from Shiply who don't require packing so fingers crossed it works out.
    Slightly concerned that they'll collect but not deliver to us but I'm a born worrier!
    What sort of item is it?
    Are the carriers intending to simply pallet it?
    • Cmoon
    • By Cmoon 12th May 17, 2:50 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Cmoon
    Posting a fishing rod.
    I'll bet almost anything that nobody can come up with an answer to this question:- How can I or with whom can I send an 8ft 2 inch (248cm) fishing rod from the UK to the USA for a half reasonable price? Thank you for reading this as I am now desperate having sold it on ebay.
    regards
    Cmoon
    • custardy
    • By custardy 12th May 17, 2:55 PM
    • 32,493 Posts
    • 27,241 Thanks
    custardy
    I'll bet almost anything that nobody can come up with an answer to this question:- How can I or with whom can I send an 8ft 2 inch (248cm) fishing rod from the UK to the USA for a half reasonable price? Thank you for reading this as I am now desperate having sold it on ebay.
    regards
    Cmoon
    Originally posted by Cmoon
    What do you consider reasonable?
    • Divorcing
    • By Divorcing 13th May 17, 9:50 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Divorcing
    Hi all, I need to send a Parcel to France insured to £300. It's 15 x 9 x 6cm and 200g and would like it delivered by Friday the latest.

Thanks in advance for any help

D
    • martindow
    • By martindow 14th May 17, 12:16 PM
    • 7,199 Posts
    • 4,010 Thanks
    martindow
    Hi all, I need to send a Parcel to France insured to £300. It's 15 x 9 x 6cm and 200g and would like it delivered by Friday the latest.

Thanks in advance for any help

D
    Originally posted by Divorcing
    Can you tell us, in broad terms, what the item is? Some companies have very restrictive exclusions.
    • catmulogen
    • By catmulogen 25th May 17, 10:23 AM
    • 117 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    catmulogen
    Posting PS3 Console & accessories
    Hi. I've never sold anything over a few pounds but my son wants to sell his PS3. Would really appreciate advice on preferred services to use to post it, with regards to safe delivery and tracking it/ problems if seller says it's not delivered. Many thanks x
    Life's too short for wasting on ifs and might have beens...........
    • lesshaste
    • By lesshaste 29th May 17, 8:00 AM
    • 27 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lesshaste
    Cheapest way to send a package from Denmark to the UK
    I recently spent some time in Denmark and so I sent myself a 20kg parcel from the UK using https://www.parcelmonkey.co.uk/ . This cost only around 20 pounds.

Now I am returning I would like to send the parcel back to the UK but they want to charge me 60 pounds (or even more) to do that.

Is there a cheap way to send a package from Denmark to the UK?
    • MsCrow
    • By MsCrow 13th Jun 17, 8:37 PM
    • 518 Posts
    • 393 Thanks
    MsCrow
    Can anyone recommend a broker or courier that can insure some cloth, approx 2kg, up to £2000?
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 13th Jun 17, 8:41 PM
    • 11,085 Posts
    • 7,419 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    Royal Mail? Where are you sending from/to, size....
    • MsCrow
    • By MsCrow 13th Jun 17, 8:45 PM
    • 518 Posts
    • 393 Thanks
    MsCrow
    Ugh, sorry, more detail would have helped. It's going to Singapore and packed is approx 35/30/20cm. Weight is 2kg

Edited to add that the only broker I can find that will insure past £1000 is transglobal Express. Maybe I've missed one.
    Last edited by MsCrow; 13-06-2017 at 8:48 PM.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 13th Jun 17, 8:48 PM
    • 11,085 Posts
    • 7,419 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    For up to 2kg, RM will be the most cost effective solution. If you want a carrier then look at someone reputable (agent) such as transglobalexpress, not the cheapest, but you don't want cheap for 2K, you want reliable - particularly when/if things go wrong.
    • MsCrow
    • By MsCrow 13th Jun 17, 8:55 PM
    • 518 Posts
    • 393 Thanks
    MsCrow
    Thank you. Would you recommend Transglobal? I haven't used them before. After parcelmonkey helped themselves to more money because of an over weight parcel (it wasn't) I'm very wary.
    • MsCrow
    • By MsCrow 13th Jun 17, 8:56 PM
    • 518 Posts
    • 393 Thanks
    MsCrow
    I'm getting parcelforce only as an option with RM for £160 or £70 with TGE

TGE offer up DPD, TNT or UPS
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 13th Jun 17, 9:08 PM
    • 11,085 Posts
    • 7,419 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    Thank you. Would you recommend Transglobal? I haven't used them before. After parcelmonkey helped themselves to more money because of an over weight parcel (it wasn't) I'm very wary.
    Originally posted by MsCrow
    We have used Trans for years, yes I would recommend them.

If you aren't getting standard RM options it may be because their maximum weight is 2kg. If your parcel is 1.99 for instance, use that, it will bring up the RM costings.
    • MsCrow
    • By MsCrow 13th Jun 17, 9:17 PM
    • 518 Posts
    • 393 Thanks
    MsCrow
    Thank you. Your input is really appreciated.

When I cost up RM this is what I get at 1.9kg

Parcel, 1.9kg, worth up to £2000

Parcelforce Worldwide
    globalexpress
    More details
    Guaranteed from 2 days Up to £2000 for loss or damage Tracked
    £160.85
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,046Posts Today

6,729Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin