Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 48
    • martindow
    • By martindow 16th Aug 16, 1:58 PM
    • 6,625 Posts
    • 3,588 Thanks
    martindow
    Hello everyone, I need help to choose a decent parcel broker. I have a parcel with dimension of 58cmx58cmx38cm and around 21 kg. The parcel need obligatory £260 insurance and easy to claim process in case they loose or brake the content. The parcel is going from London to Sofia, Bulgaria. I was looking to use DPD or optionally UPS but can't decide on the broker. I saw that many people complained about parcel2go. So, this one is definitely a big NO. I will appreciate any recommendations. Thank you for your help.
    Originally posted by bojan6
    This has a reasonable value so whoever you choose make sure that it is covered by their insurance - many carriers have a long list of exclusions. The insurance is not a substitute for good packing as they will turn down a claim if they consider it inadequate. You will probably find that anything they consider fragile is excluded in any case.
    • bojan6
    • By bojan6 17th Aug 16, 6:47 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    bojan6
    I use Parcel Hero quite often. When I have had a problem they normally get back to you within a few hours during office hours. To be honest though any broker will be the same. If there is a problem you are left trying to deal with a 3rd party rather than the courier directly.

Also I would go with DPD if you can. I have found they are the best courier. I have used UPS to send in Europe and it arrived under 24 hours from it being picked up. But had a parcel to collect from my supplier which took a week to be collected because of a label issue. UPS never bothered to flag up why it wasn't being collected.
    Originally posted by mrcol1000
    Thank you for the recommendation, it helps a lot.
    • bojan6
    • By bojan6 17th Aug 16, 6:54 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    bojan6
    This has a reasonable value so whoever you choose make sure that it is covered by their insurance - many carriers have a long list of exclusions. The insurance is not a substitute for good packing as they will turn down a claim if they consider it inadequate. You will probably find that anything they consider fragile is excluded in any case.
    Originally posted by martindow
    It is just well packaged a Dell server which will be difficult to break, except if they don't drop something very heavy on top (like a car :O) ). It come with the original packaging. For that reason, I think should be fine. The extra insurance is obligatory.

As well, thanks for recommending first to read the exclusion of fragile goods list for each third party parcel brokers.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 17th Aug 16, 9:06 AM
    • 57,697 Posts
    • 40,784 Thanks
    soolin
    It is just well packaged a Dell server which will be difficult to break, except if they don't drop something very heavy on top (like a car :O) ). It come with the original packaging. For that reason, I think should be fine. The extra insurance is obligatory.

As well, thanks for recommending first to read the exclusion of fragile goods list for each third party parcel brokers.
    Originally posted by bojan6
    In the past 14 years or so I have had 2 parcels run over - yes seriously. A piece of china via Royal mail that RM admitted appeared had been run over by a fork lift and more recently something via MyHermes that actually had comedy type tyre marks right through the crushed middle- they suggested a van had reversed over it .
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Barry923
    • By Barry923 17th Aug 16, 3:24 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Barry923
    Cheap Parcel Reseller
    I frequently use a company called Pharos Parcel, they're very efficient and cheap. They have insurance options for you and friendly staff who can actually pick up the phone and be helpful rather than spending your life on hold to bigger companies!
    • soolin
    • By soolin 17th Aug 16, 4:43 PM
    • 57,697 Posts
    • 40,784 Thanks
    soolin
    I'm looking for a courier, preferably one that has a drop off system that can handle a tube type shape that is just a fraction over 120cm long and less than 2kg. Insurance cover preferably up to £35.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • londoner15
    • By londoner15 23rd Sep 16, 8:45 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    londoner15
    Transglobalexpress
    So Martin requested feedback on international parcels. I went via Transglobalexpress and their site was easy to use and the prices are good. But the good experience ended there.

I booked a slot choice presented to me - 5 to 9pm and sat in and waited. Before 5pm I got a call asking me how the pick up was, and I said it hadn't happened yet in fact the window hadn't begun. There was no pickup and no communication. I rang in the am and was given a verbal apology and told that slot didn't exist and shouldn't have been booked. Why I thought did the cheery man who called at 4 something not tell me this?

I booked a second slot from 11-3 and waited in. At 2 something I called and asked if the driver would be there by 3? I was told no - he was running over and it would more likely be 5. But I said - when I booked this slot this am I advised the call handler I had to go out at 3.30 and be back at 5. I asked them to tell the driver they said they would. They also told me the call handler had told me they cannot guarantee slot times and they are only advisory. This was not true.

I returned home at 5.11 pm to find a UPS card saying the driver had called at 5pm. I was not happy. I called again and was told I would have to book a 9-6 slot for the next day and stay in all day that times could not be guaranteed. Not happy.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 23rd Sep 16, 4:16 PM
    • 31,498 Posts
    • 26,159 Thanks
    custardy
    So Martin requested feedback on international parcels. I went via Transglobalexpress and their site was easy to use and the prices are good. But the good experience ended there.

I booked a slot choice presented to me - 5 to 9pm and sat in and waited. Before 5pm I got a call asking me how the pick up was, and I said it hadn't happened yet in fact the window hadn't begun. There was no pickup and no communication. I rang in the am and was given a verbal apology and told that slot didn't exist and shouldn't have been booked. Why I thought did the cheery man who called at 4 something not tell me this?

I booked a second slot from 11-3 and waited in. At 2 something I called and asked if the driver would be there by 3? I was told no - he was running over and it would more likely be 5. But I said - when I booked this slot this am I advised the call handler I had to go out at 3.30 and be back at 5. I asked them to tell the driver they said they would. They also told me the call handler had told me they cannot guarantee slot times and they are only advisory. This was not true.

I returned home at 5.11 pm to find a UPS card saying the driver had called at 5pm. I was not happy. I called again and was told I would have to book a 9-6 slot for the next day and stay in all day that times could not be guaranteed. Not happy.
    Originally posted by londoner15
    What did you expect the driver to do?
    • mattyprice4004
    • By mattyprice4004 24th Sep 16, 11:35 AM
    • 3,375 Posts
    • 2,764 Thanks
    mattyprice4004
    Just a quick one, Hermes under 1KG for £2.22 inc VAT at parcel2go at the moment.
    That's for Parcelshop drop off and no compensation - but I send about 40 a day and very rarely have issues.
    Drives - MG ZT-T CDTi Auto
    Owns - Nothing, yet! House hopefully in a few years
    Gluten free as of 11/06/14!
    • Gimli52
    • By Gimli52 7th Oct 16, 9:33 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Gimli52
    Excellent experience
    I've used a lot of different parcel brokers (with varying degree of success) but I've used Pharos Parcels the last few times and they've been excellent.

I send a variety of bespoke dollhouse furniture that I deal in to collectors all over the world, but it was starting to get a bit expensive! A lot of my clients are in the USA, France and Italy and it was really reassuring to be able to use the same company for both continents. They really helped me out when a client had accidentally given the wrong address and were really good about this (it was great to be able to talk to an actual person on the phone, rather than fill in a multitude of web forms).

I was also advised by one of my friends in the I.T. industry to only use companies who meet certain security standards (pci or icp or something) and when I enquired I was told that my previous broker wasn't which is what led me to try Pharos in the first place.

Anyway just thought I'd my two penneth
    Last edited by Gimli52; 07-10-2016 at 9:42 PM.
    • koru
    • By koru 12th Oct 16, 10:10 AM
    • 1,150 Posts
    • 585 Thanks
    koru

Originally posted by londoner15
    Pick ups seem like they are a good thing, but they often seem to be a problem. I've had couriers fail to turn up for 5 days on the trot, which is no good if you wanted delivery in 3 days! For this reason, I prefer to use couriers that have drop-off locations, such as the local newsagent. It might mean a 10 minute trip to do the drop off, but at least then I know it is on its way and it is better than hanging round all day.
    koru
    • Grandmama
    • By Grandmama 15th Oct 16, 12:59 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    Grandmama
    Used royal mail, post office for a large box containing a 4 stainless steel saucepans plus lids and a large heavy wok. Weighed 7.5 kg. From the Isle of Man to Hampshire. Special delivery, cost £16. Posted Tuesday morning arrived destination Thursday morning. Was able to track and name of signer. I reckon that excellent service.
    Last edited by Grandmama; 15-10-2016 at 1:00 PM. Reason: Spelling
    • soolin
    • By soolin 15th Oct 16, 2:13 PM
    • 57,697 Posts
    • 40,784 Thanks
    soolin
    Used royal mail, post office for a large box containing a 4 stainless steel saucepans plus lids and a large heavy wok. Weighed 7.5 kg. From the Isle of Man to Hampshire. Special delivery, cost £16. Posted Tuesday morning arrived destination Thursday morning. Was able to track and name of signer. I reckon that excellent service.
    Originally posted by Grandmama
    Are the postage costs from isle of Man different than the rest of the UK? Special delivery for 7.5kg is £26.60 using Royal mail in England.
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Grandmama
    • By Grandmama 15th Oct 16, 7:25 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    Grandmama
    Could be. Our postage stamps are cheaper. Although not part of the UK we do have UK postcodes! So I maybe got a bargain. Since the ferry costs to get here are extortionate. I do not think we will get a rush of people coming to use our post office! We do get businesses in UK refusing to send to the Isle of Man so it,s "swings and roundabouts".
    • jbindebt
    • By jbindebt 20th Oct 16, 9:29 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    jbindebt
    I have just used Parcelhero due to the MSE promo code offered. They lost my item and despite weeks of to-ing and fro-ing via poor customer service have just admitted the item costing over two hundred pounds can not be found despite being tracked. Stupidly I didn't purchase extra cover and have now realised a "vehicle part" is on their exemptions list.
    So I have lost everything and haven't a leg to stand on, my problem. Only now have I found the Trustpilot site wth over two hundred and fifty pages of complaints against this company. Perhaps suggesting them as a "Best buy" might be inappropriate?
    • martindow
    • By martindow 21st Oct 16, 11:20 AM
    • 6,625 Posts
    • 3,588 Thanks
    martindow
    I have just used Parcelhero due to the MSE promo code offered. They lost my item and despite weeks of to-ing and fro-ing via poor customer service have just admitted the item costing over two hundred pounds can not be found despite being tracked. Stupidly I didn't purchase extra cover and have now realised a "vehicle part" is on their exemptions list.
    So I have lost everything and haven't a leg to stand on, my problem. Only now have I found the Trustpilot site wth over two hundred and fifty pages of complaints against this company. Perhaps suggesting them as a "Best buy" might be inappropriate?
    Originally posted by jbindebt
    At least you didn't waste more money buying compensation. It is inevitable that some parcels do get lost.

Compensation is very limited with most carriers long list of exclusions. I send a lot of fragile items that are excluded from compensation and prefer to send them, at my risk, with UPS or Fedex who I find quite reliable. From time to time there are losses but these need to be built in to your business plan.
    • TonyMMM
    • By TonyMMM 24th Oct 16, 11:23 AM
    • 2,240 Posts
    • 2,321 Thanks
    TonyMMM
    Just had a parcel delivered by Hermes -

I'm in the house and see the driver come up the drive - no attempt to ring the doorbell. Goes straight around to the side of the house and puts package behind bin and then puts "sorry you were out" note through door and walks back to car.

Driver rather shocked as I opened the door as they got back into their car .... says "sorry, thought you were out" then admits they never ring bell as it "takes too long".

On-line tracking has been updated to show "left securely in outbuilding" !!
    • martindow
    • By martindow 24th Oct 16, 2:03 PM
    • 6,625 Posts
    • 3,588 Thanks
    martindow

I'm in the house and see the driver come up the drive - no attempt to ring the doorbell. Goes straight around to the side of the house and puts package behind bin and then puts "sorry you were out" note through door and walks back to car.

Driver rather shocked as I opened the door as they got back into their car .... says "sorry, thought you were out" then admits they never ring bell as it "takes too long".

Originally posted by TonyMMM
    I'm not surprised, Hermes drivers are apparently poorly paid and get a small amount per parcel and nothing extra if they need to redeliver. In this situation it is inevitable they tends to take short cuts.

There is a suspicion that their drivers are falsely made to be self employed and that they are paid below the minimum wage. HMRC are apparently investigating their business practices

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/oct/20/delivery-giant-hermes-faces-hmrc-inquiry-into-low-pay-allegations
    • mrcol1000
    • By mrcol1000 24th Oct 16, 2:55 PM
    • 3,973 Posts
    • 3,470 Thanks
    mrcol1000
    I'm not surprised, Hermes drivers are apparently poorly paid and get a small amount per parcel and nothing extra if they need to redeliver. In this situation it is inevitable they tends to take short cuts.

There is a suspicion that their drivers are falsely made to be self employed and that they are paid below the minimum wage. HMRC are apparently investigating their business practices

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/oct/20/delivery-giant-hermes-faces-hmrc-inquiry-into-low-pay-allegations
    Originally posted by martindow
    Like everything in life, it comes down to individuals. Our local My Hermes courier is lovely. His replacement is useless to the point we use a different courier when he is away. Out of 10,000 drivers you'd expect a few bad apples.

As for them being underpaid as they are self employed. I am sure a lot of self employed people do not make the minimum wage. They just get on with it or get a different job instead of crying to HMRC about it.
    • Magenta
    • By Magenta 25th Oct 16, 6:53 AM
    • 1,994 Posts
    • 5,699 Thanks
    Magenta

Originally posted by TonyMMM
    I am disabled and never go out but 9 times out of 10 I am waiting all day for a delivery from Hermes, (my living room window looks out on to the road and I can see if anybody comes to the front door) and it never arrives but when I look at the online tracking I see that Hermes tried to deliver my parcel but no one was in!!!
    I have contacted Hermes many times about their ghost delivery drivers..
    Magenta

OOPS, I am really sorry if I have posted a duplicate thread by mistake, I did do a search and nothing came up. So please, no unnecessary nasty comments.Thank you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

248Posts Today

1,696Users online

Martin's Twitter