Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Dustykitten
    Weekly Flylady Thread 2nd December 2012
    • 2nd Dec 12, 7:08 PM
    Weekly Flylady Thread 2nd December 2012 2nd Dec 12 at 7:08 PM
    Welcome to the weekly Flylady thread. If you need help organising your week or getting motivated when it comes to housework then come and join us.

Link to last week's thread

There are 3 levels per day with Level 1 being very basic, level 2 in the middle, up to 3 which is more advanced and time consuming. Feel free to mix and match to suit your own personal circumstances.

Every room comes back around next week so please dont stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

Monday - living room, hallway, stairs
    Level One

Clear the floor of clutter
    Remove anything now which can give more space for putting the tree up (or tidy your tree if it is up)
    Level Two
    Vacuum the stairs and hallway and living room
    Wipe and water plants
    Level Three
    Wash the windows
    Wipe the paintwork in the hallway and up the stairs

Extras
    Get yours overseas cards in the post last dates are this week
    International Airmail
    Wednesday 5 December Asia, Australia, Far East (including Japan), New Zealand
    Friday 7 December Africa, Caribbean, Central America, Middle East and South America
    Monday 10 December Canada, Eastern Europe and USA
    Wednesday 12 December Western Europe

Write some cards, buy any remaining 'special family ones' before the shops sell out

Tuesday - Kitchen and Dining Room
    Level One

Declutter and mop/vacuum the floors
    Find and wipe the worksurfaces
    Level Two
    Wipe the big appliances and units.. don't forget kickboards!
    Clean WM and DW filters and top up rinse aid/salt
    Sort the cupboard under the sink
    Level Three
    Wipe the table, including the legs
    Sort through tea towels, table cloths etc and find the Chirstmas ones

Extras
    Right a list to stock up on Washing powder/liquid, pet food, kitchen roll, foil etc to see you through into the new year

Wednesday - Master bedroom and landing
    Level One

Strip the bedding and get it washed
    30 minutes floordrobe/junk clearing!!
    Level Two
    vacuum the landing and floor
    Clear and dust one flat surface
    Clean the windows
    Level Three
    HHI
    Collect all the dirty laundry from upstairs

Extras
    Sort out any extra bedding you will need for overnight guests. Check you have spare tights for any parties.
    Does your 'special occasion' watch need a new battery?
    Clean any jewellery to make it sparkle

Thursday - Rooms of Doom or just neglected spaces
    Level One

Make half an hour for yourself
    HH sorting, filing, flinging, putting away
    Level Two
    Vacuum through the rooms that need it
    Wash any soft furnishings that require freshening (cushion covers)
    Level Three
    Sort out your handbag - I had 15 pencils in mine
    Clean out any bins.. and do a binbag dance!!
    Wipe keyboards, phones, games controllers etc

Extras
    Write a list of all store cupboard items you need to top up, sauces, salt and pepper, pasta, rice, cereals, Tbags etc plus anything you need for Festive baking
    Update remaining present lists

Friday - bathroom, study/desk
    Level One

Clean the loo and the bath and the shower and the basins!
    Defragment PC and run spyware scans while scrubbing
    Level Two
    Wash windows
    HH in your ROD
    Level Three
    Wash bathmats/shower curtain
    HHPaperwork
    Extras
    Replace any sponges/flannels/toothbrushes etc that need it
    throw out any empty bottles.. decant dribbles into fuller bottles - make sure your have enough stock of everything to last the month, including tissues and cold relief, don't forget the cream for the Rudolf nose - festive but sore
    Last edited by Dustykitten; 06-12-2012 at 9:46 PM.

The birds of sadness may fly overhead but don't let them nest in your hair
Page 3
  • Honey Bear
    Sorry to hear about your friend's worries, Dusty. I hope she has some good news really quickly.

Last week went completely to pot towards the end (and it wasn't much cop at the beginning) because the dog had a bad turn. She's stable and on the right path to recovery (fingers crossed) but it threw me for six. She's had a walk, done what she needed to do on it, had three lots of medication and a meal already today When she's feeling grim she sleeps in until 4.00pm!

I've got a lot of Flying to do today, so, anyone care to join me at 11.00am for a HH?
    Keeping it AF
  • The Dragon
    Aaargh! I don't know where to start! I have my usual sofa and desk of doom in the lounge - why does "stuff" seem to breed in certain places?

I think a mug of tea is called for and then if anyone is up for a half hour "blitz" at 11.30?
    Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and good with catsup
    NSD 15/20, OS WL 21-6 (4) C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z #44 Twisted Firestarter, VSP #57 - 39.43
    Every Penny's a Prisoner
  • mineallmine
    Level One

Remove anything now which can give more space for putting the tree up (or tidy your tree if it is up)
    Originally posted by Dustykitten
    i am now totally puffed out! Stairs are now much safer (thanks for the nag advice Dustykitten. The only things left on there are some picture which hubby needs to put up and shoes at the bottom. I've not found a suitable storage thing to put shoes into thats compact. I've got 3 pairs there so its me whos the messy one there.

Is the landing usually covered on a different day? Please say YES!!

I might join the 11.30am blitz to move the tree from the landing to downstairs and bag up some other bits to store.
    Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
    Cherryprint: "More stuff = more stuff to tidy up!"
    Less things. Less stuff. More life.
    Fab thread: Long daily walks
  • Mum on a mission
    I think a mug of tea is called for and then if anyone is up for a half hour "blitz" at 11.30?
    Originally posted by The Dragon
    I will, enforced day at home with poorly DS, and want to get something out of the extra day here...
    Although no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.... 2012 is the year for Moam to build on the WIP.

Snowball says Nov 15 - aiming for July 14
  • sabs10
    Hi All,

have been MIA for a couple of weeks, think my get up & go took a holiday lol. Anyhow DDs have been pestering all weekend to put decs up, so have completely gutted living room of clutter, currently washing window ready to do my normal window display with tree & lights (have a bay window - so suited for a tree). Thought i pop on here to help with motivation.

Here's my list, will add any extras as i think of them

Level One

Level Two
    Wipe and water plants
    Level Three
    Wash the windows

Extras
    International Airmail
    Friday 7 December Africa, Caribbean, Central America, Middle East and South America

Write some cards, buy any remaining 'special family ones' before the shops sell out
    "Life's like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get" Forest Gump
  • Honey Bear
    I'll join you Dragon. I'm on a roll here.
    Keeping it AF
  • trulymadlydeeply_indebt!
    Trulymadlydeeply_indebt I'm so out of flylady habits but HH is that half hour? I'll join you for the last 15 mins now. And get some more cr.p off of the stairs!
    Originally posted by mineallmine
    That's spot on mineallmine -

HHE/HHI/HHC/HHG - Half Hour Exercise/Ironing/Cleaning/Gardening etc., etc.,

I've just sat down from mine - went on a bit longer than expected, but I now have a tidy kitchen, pots done, floor swept and mopped, microwave and hob done. Hoovered lounge, hallway and DS room (it's downstairs) and mopped the bathroom and wooden floorboards in the lounge.

The children have found tealights in shed and restocked all the xmas candle paraphernalia, plus collected wood and coal from garage store. Whilst I was on a roll I also rejigged all the 4 gang sockets in the Lounge room as I am sick of tripping up over wires, especially when I'm carrying the laundry basket and I can't see them!

Going to put the kettle on and make DD an eye test appointment as we received a reminder at the weekend.

Feeling really motivated today - I may even pull off all the manky sealant around the bath and kitchen units and put fresh on - after all, the tube has only been sitting there 6 months

Sweating like Grand National horse after all that mopping, so will save relighting the fire until later on.

Heads down and batter on!

TMD xx
  • Mum on a mission
    found my floor in the bedroom, but more to do - dump & charity shop trips are going to be needed, I'm being strong!
    Although no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.... 2012 is the year for Moam to build on the WIP.

Snowball says Nov 15 - aiming for July 14
  • mineallmine
    Thanks TMD. That sounds like a productive slot of time for you

I've brought the tree down in bits. Cleared a box of very old bills. Doing flylady is definitely helping with the declutter challenge.

I will defiitely stop now though as I'm shattered. Best of luck everyone
    Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
    Cherryprint: "More stuff = more stuff to tidy up!"
    Less things. Less stuff. More life.
    Fab thread: Long daily walks
  • LameWolf
    Hi

I was debating whether to declare myself "in" this week; it'll just be rather pathetic fluttering, I'm afraid.
    Any spare vibes please ladies for one of my friends. She has found a lump and is getting checked out tonight. A mum in our children's class sadly passed away last week due to breast cancer so my friend is very worried. That is two children in our year group who have lost a mum to cancer and one in the year below all within the last 2 years, so sad.
    Originally posted by Dustykitten
    *Grabs armful of vibes and sends them on way to Dusty's friend* I can't begin to think how scary that must be.
    Last week went completely to pot towards the end (and it wasn't much cop at the beginning) because the dog had a bad turn. She's stable and on the right path to recovery (fingers crossed) but it threw me for six. She's had a walk, done what she needed to do on it, had three lots of medication and a meal already today When she's feeling grim she sleeps in until 4.00pm!
    Originally posted by Honey Bear
    Another armful of vibes on their way for the Woofer - you know I can't ignore an animal in difficulties.

All our cards are written, and Mr LW took the last of the ones for posting with him to get rid of on his way to work this morning - the ones for hand delivery are in the little "To Do" tray on my desk.
    We do this because we need ours to get to their destination before 21st December. Also, Mr LW was on a roll yesterday for writing the wretched things - all I had to do was sign my name on them and mark them off on the spreadsheet - so I wasn't going to stop him! We actually ran out, but we had a few general purpose cards (or "generous purple" as Mr LW calls it, daft beggar) that were Yule-y enough to do the job.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
  • The Dragon
    Okay the sofa is half cleared, I need to swap my handbag over and then the "posh" one can get put away for a while.

Next stage, bundle up a package to send to The Netherlands and take some books upstairs. Hmm trying to decide whether to order a shredder or not - if I don't I get another NSD, if I do I can start getting rid of a load of paperwork
    Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and good with catsup
    NSD 15/20, OS WL 21-6 (4) C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z #44 Twisted Firestarter, VSP #57 - 39.43
    Every Penny's a Prisoner
  • Honey Bear
    the little "To Do" tray on my desk.
    Originally posted by LameWolf
    *sigh* Anyone who has a 'little in tray' is super-organized. Thank you Lamewolf for Dog's good vibes - she's very tired after what happened, but fully functioning - which makes a nice change. I heart my vets and all the vet nurses who got her through. They couldn't get her to eat any of the food they had available during her 24 hour stay at the vet hospital, so they went out and bought fresh fish - she wouldn't even touch that. She is the very devil to feed, so every meal is a major victory. (Ever seen a dog on a bad opiate trip? Not pleasant to see.)

I've managed two and a half hours on the house and am a tad tired, but some areas a bit less grubby. I've topped it off by chucking a microfibre cloth down the loo with the dirty floor washing water though, so I'm going to take a bit of a break.

At some point I am going to have to deal with the oven. Tips please on a duck fat spattered space that hasn't been sparkley for, ooooooh, let's see ..... 15 years (ahem, hangs head in true shame and humulity). I know it'll never look like new again, but I'd like to be a bit less ashamed of it. Any tips for the sequence I should adopt for the series of swishes and swipes required?
    Last edited by Honey Bear; 03-12-2012 at 1:03 PM.
    Keeping it AF
  • sabs10
    Level One -Done

Level Two
    Vacuum the stairs and hallway
    Level Three - Done
    Extras

Have managed to get a lot done from the list,plus the following

steam mopped the living room floor
    dusted all the living room
    touched up the window sill as covered in claw marks from the cats
    WM x 2 loads

Sitting down with cuppa & lunch. Then a trip to the loft to get down the decs yippee

"Life's like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get" Forest Gump
  • macpep1
    Hi all

Thanks for the lists this week Dusty, I am in again this week, was still flying last week, just not getting a chance to post, have been plodding my way through the ironing at night, I think my basket will be empty by the end of this week if I keep doing a bit every night, although DHs is full, he does his own! My tree does not go up until 13th, this is going to be fun this year with the kitten! I hasd people over for a bite to eat on Saturday after DD had finished her snow queen duties so place is still looking ok

Level One
    Level Two
    Wipe and water plants
    Level Three
    Wash the windows
    Gratitude is the best Attitude
    MSE SW August Challenge 1.5/5lbs
    Total loss so far - 15.5/30 lbs
  • bossymoo
    Now then!

My windows weren't too bad so just given them a microfibre polish rather than the full works. Have hoovered around and even the stairs and even used the cloth on the bannister and spindles. Go me! Hoovering included tools so the skirtings are also "va-va-voomed".

Need to make some lunch, so kitchen dailies will have to wait until later, and I did manage to make the beds when we got up and dressed this morning.

So, we are looking goooood and all ready for some xmas decs, practically speaking. I'm not sure my head is ready for them yet, though.
    Bossymoo
    Teetering on the edge...

Sealed Pot Challenge 8 - #91 - 300 so far
  • Goodintentions
    Good afternoon

I am in this week, thanks Dusty for the lists
    I have had a head start & crossed off afew bits already. the stairs were swept & hoovered on Friday so they are ok. DH cleaned the windows in the LR & DR on Saturday, and the bannisters were wiped yesterday. And I don't have any cards to post overseas The tree and most of the decs are up. This is at least a week earlier than usual.

I have spent the morning trying to declutter the DR of surplus toys. I have put away the baby toys, and they can go into the summerhouse (my toy store) until I have another baby to look after. i am also in the process of putting other toys & games in boxes/baskets so they look tidier on the shelves. I need to make up laminated picture labels for the boxes so that children know what is in each one (it's on my Toot's list )
    I have stopped for lunch. Miss T helped me put together some boxes (cardboard ones from Ike@ that fit the unit), so we have been working on her fine motor skills She then spent quite some time glueing jewels & stuff on a crown

I think I need to finish what i was doing, as I can't see the DR table, and I need to use it later Anyone up for HHC in about 5 mins? (I am going to make a quick cuppa before i start)

Hugs, sticks and spoons to those that need them, and lots of good luck vibes for Dusty's friend
    My Debt 11042 Dec 12 9842 Feb 14 (11%)
  • bonnie_bumpkins
    Oh thank goodness other people's weeks (and months!) went to pot!

Lisa x
    Originally posted by mrsmortenharket
    ...can I join the 'week went to pot' club

Sweating like Grand National horse after all that mopping
    Originally posted by trulymadlydeeply_indebt!
    nice image

Anyone up for HHC in about 5 mins?
    Originally posted by Goodintentions
    I'm late but I'll join you... off I go!
    *If you have nothing nice to say... say nothing*
    "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." Martin Luther King Jr
  • Goodintentions
    How did you get on Bonnie?

In my HHC I took ebay stuff upstairs, sorted & put away a bag of donated craft stuff, put assorted child-related gibble in a box and put box on shelf, put some books & rolls of paper in the cupboard, and cleared away most of the remaining stuff from the table. There is only some paperwork/books etc to put away now, which can be easily done at dinner time. there is also a very gluey crown which is drying on there. Some feathers have been added that I found in the donated bag. Oh, and I also took a small child to the toilet Not too bad. Just finishing off my tea & having a breather before the school run, and the chaos that follows!
    I am going to update my list now, as I have munched a few frogs today
    My Debt 11042 Dec 12 9842 Feb 14 (11%)
  • mrs-moneypenny
    afternoon all
    thank you for the lists Dusty (and Natty) last week went to pot here as well
    hope all are well
    will be trying to catch up this week as tree is going up at the weekend (would have gone up last week if it wasnt for youngest going to scouts winter camp)

Level One

Level Two
    Wipe and water plants
    Level Three
    Wash the windows

Extras
    International Airmail

my stuff
    get tree and deccys down
    1 hours christmas cross stitch each day m t w t f
    get pres sorted for step mum and friend that needs posting
    sort out final bits to get over to mums.
    make pudding!!!
    sort freezer
    grocery challenge June budget 400 spent 273.24
    read your books challenge-currently on wishing and hoping
    xstitch challenge 63 in Celtic Noel
    15 in 2015 challenge 7/15
    2015 wooligan stuff - 12 squares, 6 prem hats, 2 pairs mittens 2 blankets
  • cyclingyorkie
    So far today I have changed 2 beds and done the resulting washing. I shall be having words with DS as I have cleaned up a load of mould from the far side of his bed!

Been to the paid stuff (14 days till the holidays - can u tell I'm hacked off with it?)

Back via aldi but have picked up loads of their frozen berries and natural yoghurt plus other fruit.

have made and decluttered lunch for me and the DDs. DD2 has gone to work. I have also washed up.

Just finishing my post lunch cuppa - then it's off to sort some ironing....
    Flylady and proud of it
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,286Posts Today

7,891Users online

Martin's Twitter