Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > Weekly Flylady Thread 2nd December 2012 (Page 3)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Weekly Flylady Thread 2nd December 2012
Views: 12,432
# 41
Honey Bear
Old 03-12-2012, 10:59 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Sorry to hear about your friend's worries, Dusty. I hope she has some good news really quickly.

Last week went completely to pot towards the end (and it wasn't much cop at the beginning) because the dog had a bad turn. She's stable and on the right path to recovery (fingers crossed) but it threw me for six. She's had a walk, done what she needed to do on it, had three lots of medication and a meal already today When she's feeling grim she sleeps in until 4.00pm!

I've got a lot of Flying to do today, so, anyone care to join me at 11.00am for a HH?
KBO
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Honey Bear For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 42
The Dragon
Old 03-12-2012, 11:04 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Send a message via Yahoo to The Dragon

Aaargh! I don't know where to start! I have my usual sofa and desk of doom in the lounge - why does "stuff" seem to breed in certain places?

I think a mug of tea is called for and then if anyone is up for a half hour "blitz" at 11.30?
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and good with catsup
NSD 15/20, OS WL 21-6 (4) C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z #44 Twisted Firestarter, VSP #57 - £39.43
Every Penny's a Prisoner
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to The Dragon For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 43
mineallmine
Old 03-12-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustykitten View Post
Monday - living room, hallway, stairs
Level One

Clear the floor of clutter
Remove anything now which can give more space for putting the tree up (or tidy your tree if it is up)
i am now totally puffed out! Stairs are now much safer (thanks for the nag advice Dustykitten. The only things left on there are some picture which hubby needs to put up and shoes at the bottom. I've not found a suitable storage thing to put shoes into thats compact. I've got 3 pairs there so its me whos the messy one there.

Is the landing usually covered on a different day? Please say YES!!

I might join the 11.30am blitz to move the tree from the landing to downstairs and bag up some other bits to store.
Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
Cherryprint: "More stuff = more stuff to tidy up!"
Less things. Less stuff. More life.
Fab thread: Long daily walks
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to mineallmine For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 44
Mum on a mission
Old 03-12-2012, 11:17 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dragon View Post
I think a mug of tea is called for and then if anyone is up for a half hour "blitz" at 11.30?
I will, enforced day at home with poorly DS, and want to get something out of the extra day here...
Although no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.... 2012 is the year for Moam to build on the WIP.

Snowball says Nov 15 - aiming for July 14
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Mum on a mission For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 45
sabs10
Old 03-12-2012, 11:29 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi All,

have been MIA for a couple of weeks, think my get up & go took a holiday lol. Anyhow DDs have been pestering all weekend to put decs up, so have completely gutted living room of clutter, currently washing window ready to do my normal window display with tree & lights (have a bay window - so suited for a tree). Thought i pop on here to help with motivation.

Here's my list, will add any extras as i think of them

Level One

Remove anything now which can give more space for putting the tree up (or tidy your tree if it is up)
Level Two
Vacuum the stairs and hallway and living room
Wipe and water plants
Level Three
Wash the windows
Wipe the paintwork in the hallway and up the stairs

Extras
Get yours overseas cards in the post last dates are this week
International Airmail
Wednesday 5 December Asia, Australia, Far East (including Japan), New Zealand
Friday 7 December Africa, Caribbean, Central America, Middle East and South America
Monday 10 December Canada, Eastern Europe and USA
Wednesday 12 December Western Europe

Write some cards, buy any remaining 'special family ones' before the shops sell out
"Life's like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get" Forest Gump
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to sabs10 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 46
Honey Bear
Old 03-12-2012, 11:32 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I'll join you Dragon. I'm on a roll here.
KBO
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Honey Bear For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 47
trulymadlydeeply_indebt!
Old 03-12-2012, 11:49 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mineallmine View Post
Trulymadlydeeply_indebt I'm so out of flylady habits but HH is that half hour? I'll join you for the last 15 mins now. And get some more cr.p off of the stairs!
That's spot on mineallmine -

HHE/HHI/HHC/HHG - Half Hour Exercise/Ironing/Cleaning/Gardening etc., etc.,

I've just sat down from mine - went on a bit longer than expected, but I now have a tidy kitchen, pots done, floor swept and mopped, microwave and hob done. Hoovered lounge, hallway and DS room (it's downstairs) and mopped the bathroom and wooden floorboards in the lounge.

The children have found tealights in shed and restocked all the xmas candle paraphernalia, plus collected wood and coal from garage store. Whilst I was on a roll I also rejigged all the 4 gang sockets in the Lounge room as I am sick of tripping up over wires, especially when I'm carrying the laundry basket and I can't see them!

Going to put the kettle on and make DD an eye test appointment as we received a reminder at the weekend.

Feeling really motivated today - I may even pull off all the manky sealant around the bath and kitchen units and put fresh on - after all, the tube has only been sitting there 6 months

Sweating like Grand National horse after all that mopping, so will save relighting the fire until later on.

Heads down and batter on!

TMD xx
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to trulymadlydeeply_indebt! For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 48
Mum on a mission
Old 03-12-2012, 12:08 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

found my floor in the bedroom, but more to do - dump & charity shop trips are going to be needed, I'm being strong!
Although no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.... 2012 is the year for Moam to build on the WIP.

Snowball says Nov 15 - aiming for July 14
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Mum on a mission For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 49
mineallmine
Old 03-12-2012, 12:09 PM

Thanks TMD. That sounds like a productive slot of time for you

I've brought the tree down in bits. Cleared a box of very old bills. Doing flylady is definitely helping with the declutter challenge.

I will defiitely stop now though as I'm shattered. Best of luck everyone
Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
Cherryprint: "More stuff = more stuff to tidy up!"
Less things. Less stuff. More life.
Fab thread: Long daily walks
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to mineallmine For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 50
LameWolf
Old 03-12-2012, 12:23 PM

Hi

I was debating whether to declare myself "in" this week; it'll just be rather pathetic fluttering, I'm afraid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustykitten View Post
Any spare vibes please ladies for one of my friends. She has found a lump and is getting checked out tonight. A mum in our children's class sadly passed away last week due to breast cancer so my friend is very worried. That is two children in our year group who have lost a mum to cancer and one in the year below all within the last 2 years, so sad.
*Grabs armful of vibes and sends them on way to Dusty's friend* I can't begin to think how scary that must be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey Bear View Post
Last week went completely to pot towards the end (and it wasn't much cop at the beginning) because the dog had a bad turn. She's stable and on the right path to recovery (fingers crossed) but it threw me for six. She's had a walk, done what she needed to do on it, had three lots of medication and a meal already today When she's feeling grim she sleeps in until 4.00pm!
Another armful of vibes on their way for the Woofer - you know I can't ignore an animal in difficulties.

All our cards are written, and Mr LW took the last of the ones for posting with him to get rid of on his way to work this morning - the ones for hand delivery are in the little "To Do" tray on my desk.
We do this because we need ours to get to their destination before 21st December. Also, Mr LW was on a roll yesterday for writing the wretched things - all I had to do was sign my name on them and mark them off on the spreadsheet - so I wasn't going to stop him! We actually ran out, but we had a few general purpose cards (or "generous purple" as Mr LW calls it, daft beggar) that were Yule-y enough to do the job.
LameWolf
If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to LameWolf For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 51
The Dragon
Old 03-12-2012, 12:55 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to The Dragon

Okay the sofa is half cleared, I need to swap my handbag over and then the "posh" one can get put away for a while.

Next stage, bundle up a package to send to The Netherlands and take some books upstairs. Hmm trying to decide whether to order a shredder or not - if I don't I get another NSD, if I do I can start getting rid of a load of paperwork
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and good with catsup
NSD 15/20, OS WL 21-6 (4) C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z #44 Twisted Firestarter, VSP #57 - £39.43
Every Penny's a Prisoner
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to The Dragon For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 52
Honey Bear
Old 03-12-2012, 12:58 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LameWolf View Post
the little "To Do" tray on my desk.
*sigh* Anyone who has a 'little in tray' is super-organized. Thank you Lamewolf for Dog's good vibes - she's very tired after what happened, but fully functioning - which makes a nice change. I heart my vets and all the vet nurses who got her through. They couldn't get her to eat any of the food they had available during her 24 hour stay at the vet hospital, so they went out and bought fresh fish - she wouldn't even touch that. She is the very devil to feed, so every meal is a major victory. (Ever seen a dog on a bad opiate trip? Not pleasant to see.)

I've managed two and a half hours on the house and am a tad tired, but some areas a bit less grubby. I've topped it off by chucking a microfibre cloth down the loo with the dirty floor washing water though, so I'm going to take a bit of a break.

At some point I am going to have to deal with the oven. Tips please on a duck fat spattered space that hasn't been sparkley for, ooooooh, let's see ..... 15 years (ahem, hangs head in true shame and humulity). I know it'll never look like new again, but I'd like to be a bit less ashamed of it. Any tips for the sequence I should adopt for the series of swishes and swipes required?
KBO

Last edited by Honey Bear; 03-12-2012 at 1:03 PM.
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Honey Bear For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 53
sabs10
Old 03-12-2012, 1:01 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Level One -Done

Level Two
Vacuum the stairs and hallway
Level Three - Done
Extras
Write some cards, buy any remaining 'special family ones' before the shops sell out

Have managed to get a lot done from the list,plus the following

steam mopped the living room floor
dusted all the living room
touched up the window sill as covered in claw marks from the cats
WM x 2 loads

Sitting down with cuppa & lunch. Then a trip to the loft to get down the decs yippee

"Life's like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get" Forest Gump
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to sabs10 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 54
macpep1
Old 03-12-2012, 1:25 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi all

Thanks for the lists this week Dusty, I am in again this week, was still flying last week, just not getting a chance to post, have been plodding my way through the ironing at night, I think my basket will be empty by the end of this week if I keep doing a bit every night, although DH’s is full, he does his own! My tree does not go up until 13th, this is going to be fun this year with the kitten! I hasd people over for a bite to eat on Saturday after DD had finished her snow queen duties so place is still looking ok

Level One
Level Two
Wipe and water plants
Level Three
Wash the windows
Gratitude is the best Attitude
MSE SW Summer Challenge 3.5/10lbs
Total loss so far - 17/30 lbs
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to macpep1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 55
bossymoo
Old 03-12-2012, 1:31 PM

Now then!

My windows weren't too bad so just given them a microfibre polish rather than the full works. Have hoovered around and even the stairs and even used the cloth on the bannister and spindles. Go me! Hoovering included tools so the skirtings are also "va-va-voomed".

Need to make some lunch, so kitchen dailies will have to wait until later, and I did manage to make the beds when we got up and dressed this morning.

So, we are looking goooood and all ready for some xmas decs, practically speaking. I'm not sure my head is ready for them yet, though.
Bossymoo
Teetering on the edge...

Sealed Pot Challenge 7 - #91 - £300 so far
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to bossymoo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 56
Goodintentions
Old 03-12-2012, 1:45 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Good afternoon

I am in this week, thanks Dusty for the lists
I have had a head start & crossed off afew bits already. the stairs were swept & hoovered on Friday so they are ok. DH cleaned the windows in the LR & DR on Saturday, and the bannisters were wiped yesterday. And I don't have any cards to post overseas The tree and most of the decs are up. This is at least a week earlier than usual.

I have spent the morning trying to declutter the DR of surplus toys. I have put away the baby toys, and they can go into the summerhouse (my toy store) until I have another baby to look after. i am also in the process of putting other toys & games in boxes/baskets so they look tidier on the shelves. I need to make up laminated picture labels for the boxes so that children know what is in each one (it's on my Toot's list )
I have stopped for lunch. Miss T helped me put together some boxes (cardboard ones from Ike@ that fit the unit), so we have been working on her fine motor skills She then spent quite some time glueing jewels & stuff on a crown

I think I need to finish what i was doing, as I can't see the DR table, and I need to use it later Anyone up for HHC in about 5 mins? (I am going to make a quick cuppa before i start)

Hugs, sticks and spoons to those that need them, and lots of good luck vibes for Dusty's friend
My Debt £11042 Dec 12 £9842 Feb 14 (11%)
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Goodintentions For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 57
bonnie_bumpkins
Old 03-12-2012, 2:04 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmortenharket View Post
Oh thank goodness other people's weeks (and months!) went to pot!

Lisa x
...can I join the 'week went to pot' club

Quote:
Originally Posted by trulymadlydeeply_indebt! View Post
Sweating like Grand National horse after all that mopping
nice image

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodintentions View Post
Anyone up for HHC in about 5 mins?
I'm late but I'll join you... off I go!
*If you have nothing nice to say... say nothing*
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." Martin Luther King Jr
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to bonnie_bumpkins For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 58
Goodintentions
Old 03-12-2012, 2:28 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

How did you get on Bonnie?

In my HHC I took ebay stuff upstairs, sorted & put away a bag of donated craft stuff, put assorted child-related gibble in a box and put box on shelf, put some books & rolls of paper in the cupboard, and cleared away most of the remaining stuff from the table. There is only some paperwork/books etc to put away now, which can be easily done at dinner time. there is also a very gluey crown which is drying on there. Some feathers have been added that I found in the donated bag. Oh, and I also took a small child to the toilet Not too bad. Just finishing off my tea & having a breather before the school run, and the chaos that follows!
I am going to update my list now, as I have munched a few frogs today
My Debt £11042 Dec 12 £9842 Feb 14 (11%)
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Goodintentions For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 59
mrs-moneypenny
Old 03-12-2012, 2:40 PM

afternoon all
thank you for the lists Dusty (and Natty) last week went to pot here as well
hope all are well
will be trying to catch up this week as tree is going up at the weekend (would have gone up last week if it wasnt for youngest going to scouts winter camp)

Level One

Level Two
Wipe and water plants
Level Three
Wash the windows

Extras
Get yours overseas cards in the post last dates are this week
International Airmail
Wednesday 5 December Asia, Australia, Far East (including Japan), New Zealand
Friday 7 December Africa, Caribbean, Central America, Middle East and South America
Monday 10 December Canada, Eastern Europe and USA
Wednesday 12 December Western Europe

my stuff
get tree and deccys down
1 hours christmas cross stitch each day m t w t f
get pres sorted for step mum and friend that needs posting
sort out final bits to get over to mums.
make pudding!!!
sort freezer
grocery challenge July budget £400 spent £347.28
read your books challenge-currently on- prince of the clouds
xstitch challenge 63 dictionary of homes
14 in 2014 challenge completed 10/14
2014 wooligan stuff - 29 hedgehogs, 24 bead bags 2 yellow ducks
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to mrs-moneypenny For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 60
cyclingyorkie
Old 03-12-2012, 2:50 PM

So far today I have changed 2 beds and done the resulting washing. I shall be having words with DS as I have cleaned up a load of mould from the far side of his bed!

Been to the paid stuff (14 days till the holidays - can u tell I'm hacked off with it?)

Back via aldi but have picked up loads of their frozen berries and natural yoghurt plus other fruit.

have made and decluttered lunch for me and the DDs. DD2 has gone to work. I have also washed up.

Just finishing my post lunch cuppa - then it's off to sort some ironing....
Flylady and proud of it
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to cyclingyorkie For This Useful Post: Show me >>