Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    FrugalFranny
    Medicine scam: Umaxx's Ubiquinone
    • 29th Nov 12, 7:29 PM
    Medicine scam: Umaxx's Ubiquinone 29th Nov 12 at 7:29 PM
    Got this through the mail today:

US MEDICINE
    Announcing Miraculous New Discoveries in Anti-Ageing!

Among it's claims:

"How bed-ridden heart patients, after taking UBIQUINONE for just a single month, were able to bound up flights of stairs, walk for hours, even jog for a full mile or two without once gasping for breath!"

And....

"..And may increase lifespan up to an extra 50 years, in good health and full energy...No matter what your age or the condition of your body today!"

A bit of searching around the net lead to this site:

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/proxene-es-c431380.html

A few of the related posts linked at the bottom are to other names/complaints/warnings.

Yes, it may seem an obvious scam to some but I put it here for those in doubt. Looking up 'Dr.Peter Mitchell' (the fellow who supposedly invented this stuff) will lead to pages on the actually Dr. Peter Michell, Nobel Prize winner.
    ~"I don't cook so much since we moved out of reality...."~
Page 1
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 29th Nov 12, 8:57 PM
    • 7,322 Posts
    • 5,288 Thanks
    pmduk
    • 29th Nov 12, 8:57 PM
    • 29th Nov 12, 8:57 PM
    If the letter originated in the UK I'd forward it to the Advertising Standards Authority.
  • FrugalFranny
    • 30th Nov 12, 4:10 PM
    • 30th Nov 12, 4:10 PM
    If the letter originated in the UK I'd forward it to the Advertising Standards Authority.
    Originally posted by pmduk

It's has one of those suspicious return envelopes. It has an English sounding company (Stafford & Spires) printed on the booklet, but the paid for return envelope is clearly not to anywhere in England. It goes to Sweden from what I can see.
    From what I gather this means the ASA can't touch it, but I'm still hunting around for anything I can do, seeing if I can track down where it's being sent from in England as it arrived by ordinary mail.
    • paddyrg
    • By paddyrg 30th Nov 12, 4:31 PM
    • 13,002 Posts
    • 11,075 Thanks
    paddyrg
    • 30th Nov 12, 4:31 PM
    • 30th Nov 12, 4:31 PM
    If they have a prepaid return envelope, perhaps you can write 'no thanks' on something weighty?
  • FrugalFranny
    • 30th Nov 12, 9:39 PM
    • 30th Nov 12, 9:39 PM
    Oh, there is a nice bit of abuse heading their way once I know I won't need the envelope as 'evidence' lol
  • ukkeith
    • 11th Apr 14, 9:39 AM
    • 11th Apr 14, 9:39 AM
    I have received 2 previous mail offers from this source.
    The reply address is Switzerland via a prepaid envelope
    Europe Wide Ordering Processing Inc
    Welbrigring 42
    CH-8954 Geroldswil
    Switzerland

I think any communication with that return address should ring a warning note.
    • maninthestreet
    • By maninthestreet 21st Jul 15, 8:31 AM
    • 15,023 Posts
    • 13,351 Thanks
    maninthestreet
    • 21st Jul 15, 8:31 AM
    • 21st Jul 15, 8:31 AM
    Hi as an 87 year old veterinary surgeon I am well aware of medical scams. I have been tiring easily and finding it difficult to walk for many monts now and subscribed to the offer from Umaxx to test their product for two weeks. Having done this I then read the scam notice about the product and thought well it has not cost me anything. The free supply arrived and I decided I might as well use them and then cancel my order. Two weeks later I am a new man . All my friends are saying how well I look and how much better I am moving. I am no longer exhausted when I come off the golf course and if this is a scam its the best scam there has ever been! I will happily pay to continue getting the Umaxx and the only reason for posting this is so that fellow old age sufferers would not be put off trying something that might really help them.
    Originally posted by vharrison
    Please provide us with the links to the independent, research-based double-blind placebo test results that provide evidence this treatment actually works.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
    • paddyrg
    • By paddyrg 21st Jul 15, 11:13 AM
    • 13,002 Posts
    • 11,075 Thanks
    paddyrg
    • 21st Jul 15, 11:13 AM
    • 21st Jul 15, 11:13 AM
    UMAXX is fertiliser. So is your post.

CoQ10 (which is what UBIQUINONE is) is available in many brands and has contraindications. It potentially interferes with Warfarin in the body, so may actually be DANGEROUS to take for some people. Cochrane meta-reviews discount its claimed efficacy for heart conditions or cancer.
    Last edited by paddyrg; 21-07-2015 at 11:18 AM.
    • bsms1147
    • By bsms1147 21st Jul 15, 11:16 AM
    • 1,936 Posts
    • 3,457 Thanks
    bsms1147
    • 21st Jul 15, 11:16 AM
    • 21st Jul 15, 11:16 AM
    Hi as an 87 year old veterinary surgeon ...
    Originally posted by vharrison
    Reported for its canned-meat content.
    • bingo bango
    • By bingo bango 21st Jul 15, 1:16 PM
    • 2,449 Posts
    • 1,456 Thanks
    bingo bango
    IF someone has received one of these type of offers through the post, is there any chance you could make an information report to Action Fraud with a covering note please?

There is a national plan in progress to stop the vulnerable being targeted, and any evidence (especially of new variants) is always useful.
    • donnac2558
    • By donnac2558 15th Aug 16, 5:06 PM
    • 2,269 Posts
    • 1,871 Thanks
    donnac2558
    I love the smell of horse sh*t on a Monday especially from a Newbie.
    • dealer wins
    • By dealer wins 17th Aug 16, 1:47 PM
    • 5,594 Posts
    • 10,513 Thanks
    dealer wins
    Eddie Murphy took it in the film Trading Places, and it seemed to work for him
    All replies are super fluffy and nice, and newbies are so lovely and welcome. PPR never again!
    • GedN
    • By GedN 14th Mar 17, 8:35 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    GedN
    UK mailing
    My wife (72) got a promotion from Umaxx offering a "No-Risk Trial supply". You have to ring a free telephone number and give the priority code. The difference to the other posts is that the named "expert" is a Dr. Earl L. Mindell.
    The return address is Old Basford Nottingham. They are obviously targetting the "older" generation who might have problems confirming any promises made in a conversation over the 'phone.
    The description is "Enzymatic Nutritional Supplement". How could anyone in their right mind not want that?
    GedN
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 14th Mar 17, 9:02 PM
    • 15,188 Posts
    • 10,980 Thanks
    hollydays
    My wife (72) got a promotion from Umaxx offering a "No-Risk Trial supply". You have to ring a free telephone number and give the priority code. The difference to the other posts is that the named "expert" is a Dr. Earl L. Mindell.
    The return address is Old Basford Nottingham. They are obviously targetting the "older" generation who might have problems confirming any promises made in a conversation over the 'phone.
    The description is "Enzymatic Nutritional Supplement". How could anyone in their right mind not want that?
    GedN
    Originally posted by GedN

51 Basford Road, Old Basford, Nottingham, NG6 0JG? Rented office space /virtual office.
    Earl Mindell- quack 'nutritionalist' from USA who's been discredited numerous times.
    Last edited by hollydays; 14-03-2017 at 9:57 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,709Posts Today

8,171Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin