Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    NinjaSavingKat
    December Debt Destruction!!!
    • 27th Nov 12, 9:26 PM
    December Debt Destruction!!! 27th Nov 12 at 9:26 PM
    December Debt Destruction Are YOU Tough Enough?

Clear Up, Clean Up, And Take Control

I hate New Years resolutions. Its almost a prerequisite that you should have already decided to stop resoluting by February. With your debts it cant be like that. Many of us are in for the long haul so we should start Debt Destruction TODAY! I want to encourage YOU to clear up the straggled ends, decide today how you will proceed through 2013 and nurture some good behaviours and a new mind set.

Following the success of my Just Say NOvember challenge it has been brought to my attention that another challenge is required for the month of December. There are a distinct collection of ruthless, money-crunching, unashamed penny-pinchers desperate to turn the heat up on those debts!!! So who am I not to indulge YOUR requests!

We are to embrace the austerity of the days gone by, ration our food and not be wasteful.
    We will make do and mend and we will pull together!

December is the most horrific money funnelling month of the year and there are some serious demands surrounding us as we prepare! You are being bombarded by messages in every form telling you what you MUST buy for Christmas, what will make it magical and what will make it memorable! I am calling a halt to all this, giving YOU the excuse to say NO and hoping that I can help you prepare for that new cleaner outlook for 2013.

I am ruthless about my debt, and I am desperate to live a debt-free life and I want to drag you with me!!! I am planning to be rid of my debt (currently standing at around 14,000) by the end of 2013 but give myself personal challenges to deal with until thenso I would appreciate some company along the way! Please?

I cant say this wont be hard but the interaction between users has been encouraging and everyone will help you. So please, stop faffing about, take responsibility and give me your name!

There are rules to abide by! Simple ones though, meaning you can keep track of your progress, boast about, and share your successes or indeed failures and bad days. There is only so much I can dictate to you about your Christmas though. This is the most difficult month to plot for as everyone is feeding a different amount of people, budgeting differently and living in different areas with differing prices to deal with. You are an adult but this is about being honest but at least you will know you are not in this by yourself!!

So read up and sign up!

This challenge commences on the 01st December 2012 @ 00:01 and finishes on 31st December 2012 @ 23:59.
    Minimum 20 NSD. Please pledge this on the NSD board, do not do this on this thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=4312083
    6 X 20 MINUTE SESSION OF EXERCISE A WEEK. However you wish you do this, just get your butt moving! This needs to be broken up throughout the week!
    Food budget must decided upon before the commencement of this challenge then slashed by 30. I am assuming you have started Christmas food shopping and wont need too much more yes?
    Spend Money for anything else needs to be pre-agreed prior to the commencement of DDD. This includes last minute gifts, parties, food thats to be taken to any party, and alcoholic drinks.
    No foods are to be purchased at work canteens / cafes etc. If you are having a family day out packed lunches are the only lunches allowed.
    All money needed for the month for food or spends is to be withdrawn and placed in envelopes clearly marked for purpose.
    3 Wildcard Days are allowed. To qualify for one you must make the same amount of money as you plan to spend all in that same day. These are only for emergencies if you NEED something. You make 5 on eBay; you are allowed to use it without losing an NSD etc.
    An NSD does not include petrol, car maintenance, medications, household bills and travel to work.,
    On one of your NSDs find a homeless person and buy him/her a tea / coffee out of your budget. Dont assume either, talk to the person and ask what they prefer.
    NO Beauty spends for the ladies over 5.
    NO extra beer for the boys at all. If its in your house drink it, then start on the soft drinks.
    Set a petrol allowance and stick to it. When in doubt walk.
    Those that completed NOvember get rid of what is in your cupboards before buying Christmas supplies.
    Those of you who are new to this challenge clear your cupboards and freezer BEFORE buying any more food. You DO NOT NEED reems of food for Christmas Day. Buy very CAREFULLY. What do you always buy each year that NEVER gets eaten?
    Call 5 friends / family members / acquaintances / work colleague / virtual strangers and tell them you will not be buying gifts this year.
    DO NOT enter any secret Santa at work or anywhere else.
    Batch cook now, try to avoid massive tins of sweets, fancy biscuits in expensive tins and 7 cakes from M&S.
    Down-shift some essentials to Supermarket Own Brandsget the family used to it now!!!
    NO ENTRY to any sales in the month of DDD. Unless you have a planned budget and have been saving for a specific item PLEASE do not go to the Boxing Day Sales. I just put a dress from NEXT on eBay that I bought last Boxing Day and never wore. Its temptation you cant handle to buy tat you really dont need. STAY AT HOME!!!
    Buy one of these. Start filling it. You will not be given access for 1 year. Once its full you start another one.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...rds=money+tins

And finally - as annoying as this will be ( amongst everything else ) I need you to keep a spending diary. Something will always crop up that you need to spend pennies on... write it all down. ON your phone, scrap of paper.. keep these scraps safe though...

PLEASE DO NOT RE-POST THIS ENTIRE THREAD. IF U WISH TO JOIN JUST ADD YOUR NANE TO A PAGE AND I'LL GET YOU A NUMBER. I DO NOT NEED TO KNOW HOW YOU FEEL ABOUT EACH POINT WITH THE POINT RE-ADDED AS WELL- IT TAKES UP TOO MUCH ROOM!!!
    Last edited by NinjaSavingKat; 30-11-2012 at 10:19 AM.

On the road of life..
Page 15
  • CandyCupcake
    Wow everyone has been super busy! I've not been on for a couple of days and now the thread is super long - well done everyone - Kat I hope the damage isn't too bad to the bike!

So this month hasn't been going so well for me, I only have 2 NSDs in the bag this WILL improve as soon as this weekend is out if the way as I am out tomorrow for a friends birthday and I need to do a small shop on saturday.

I've been waiting for vouchers from work to finish my Christmas shopping and I still haven't received them I'm so angry as it has messed me up big time! I wanted them before this weekend so that I could get everything in and use all my coupons/double points coupons to really up my points and savings in various stores. Fingers crossed they come tomorrow but too be honest I'm really not getting my hopes up

I've applied for lots of overtime and later shifts in work s hopefully Decembers and January's pay will be half decent. At this rate though I will have to use Decembers pay for presents which I wasn't wanting to do but without these vouchers I have no choice

Sorry for the essay everyone!!

Candy
    x
    Total debt to date: 3,238.10
  • liltdiddylilt
    Sleep tight Kat!!

Thank you for granting my NSD wish, Ninja Fairy Godmother

Exercise-wise, yes it was outside. I never count lugging my sumo of a daughter around in my exercise as I'd have 6 20 minutes sessions each day!! :P I walked to work (2 miles) from work (2 miles also - who'd of thunk it?) and I spent a good hour running up and downstairs in my office today to my boss & back. I've only put this down as 1/2 hour though in case it just felt like that much... hehehe

Sleep tight, gutted about Tesco Express. Mine is right outside my flat, followed by a sainsbury's then a little further down a huge asda. We are talking a 10 minute walk to asda at the most... but depending on how rubbish I feel/how terrible the weather is, I end up in the one I feel I can manage the walk back from when I go out for odds and sods. Plus side our tesco express puts all their stickered stuff out at 4pm sharp tip from my single mum of 1 neighbour
    NST May: SFD: 0/20 Groc/Toil/House: 0/215
    A black belt only covers 2 inches of your a$$ - You have to cover the rest yourself - Royce Gracie
  • specialkaye
    Declaring another NSD today taking me to 5. Tomorrow is a spend day as a couple of colleagues want to go out for drinks for an hour. we don't finish work until ten ish so it will only be an hour.

Exercise i am trying to keep up with - did extra cycling yesterday, swimming (and sauna) today and have to do about 8 miles cycling tomorrow.

I did get a new job today though which will increase my income considerably. gosh i am excited
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Arial"][FONT="Arial Black"][COLOR="DarkOrchid"]1% at a time challenge member #127

MWF: as@ Oct13 45,917, now 45,223
    OP 2014: 0/500
  • PurpleJay
    Just made Thai cous cous and had half for supper with a bit of coleslaw and it was lovely. not had it for ages. Taking rest to work tomorrow with coleslaw, tomatoes and cucumber.

Have banned myself from shopping at approved food for now. Stuff is cheap but if it sits in your cupboard.... Perhaps I just need to use up what I have and be more selective next time. I bought gallons of Lloyd grosman soup last time and it was vile.

I also have a tesco express nearby, just across the road (no value products there either) and its next to a Chinese. Very handy but a bit to tempting!
    'Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass,
    it's about learning to dance in the rain'

January 2015
    Grocery 0/200, Fuel 0/150, Pets 0/100, SFD 0/18
  • Kerfuffle
    HI everybody,

Not much to report for me. I had a NSD so the figures are the same as yesterday, and now on 4 NSD.

I was tempted to go to the supermarket tonight on the way home from work, just for the sake of going as I didn't actually need anyhing, but reminded myself that if I bought anything I would have to declare it on here and I couldn't face admitting the un-necessary spend to you guys.
    Tea tonight is HM spagetti bolognaise from the freezer, remains of a previous batch cook, so nice and easy, easy enough for Hubby to cook up anyway

We're nearly out of fresh orange juice and rather than buy some more we're going to use up the frozen concentrates from the freezer, so hopefully tomorrow I will be able to avoid the supermarket again.

Food 6.14 / 50.00 (for 2 people)
    Petrol 29.66 /105.00 (2 vehicles)
    Christmas Food 30.00
    Christmas presents 50.00
    Unplanned spends 6.66
    NSD 4 / 20
    SD 2 / 11

Toodles

Edited the NSD v SD
    Last edited by Kerfuffle; 14-12-2012 at 5:49 PM.

• JAMIEDODGER
    Morning all.

Another day at home planned for me today. More studying, hoping to finish this essay today, still have some words to lose but am aiming on sitting at desk until its blinking finished!!

Out tonight to ds3 school disco, which all I have to attend as he is special needs. Taking dd with me. Drinks and snacks will be free but will have to use the car to get there!

Have best friend and her kids over for tea straight after school which will be lovely I cook dinner for all the kids and we get to drink tea and natter

Other than all that it will be a NSD
    Pay off debt by xmas 2014 #213
    574.02/1500 38.26%
    Save 12k in 2014 #015
    240/600 40%
  • Mancman86
    Need to reassess today...at some point. Havnt been naughty with any cash, this "Mancflu" has caused me to lose the plot somewhat - some say I lost that years ago. Tried the garlic thing Kat, lets just say I had to clean the entire Kitchen with bleach.
    It was -5 for most of the day yesterday, I was in town for a meeting on lunch with a colleague - didnt spend any money on lunch as had sandwiches, however I did feel very sorry for a homeless guy who was shivering as was his small labrador, So I bought him a Greggs Pasty and Coffee (as specified by said homeless guy) and also bought a bottle of water and a poochie pouch full of food from Tesco Metro - total spend 4.90
    Debt Free by August 2013 fingers crossed.Total Debt 3000 C/C.84.35/3000 - 03.01.2013.
    124.25/3k -23/01/13 -
    Total left to clear:- 2875.75
    500 tin saver 26/500 28/11/2012
  • thriftylass
    I'll have my work xmas dinner tonight straight after work. But I'll stick to the free wine and take the bus home so it'll be an NSD as it's the same route home as from work so it's bus money I'd spend anyway just later in the day.

Oh and I found an easy way now to incorporate my exercise. I found a different bus route home (get a lift in the morning) which is not only cheaper but I also have to get off earlier and then have a brisk 20 min walk each day.
    Marching turtle no 7
    SFD 5/20 food 226/225
    HH/other 36/135 Wedding debt 2500 1905 1775 1588 1500
    DFD Dec '15 Eb@y 97/400
  • WantToBeSE
    Morning

Was on a right downer yesterday..what can i say, time of the month

Back on form today. yesterday was NSD #5, but today wont be a NSD as i am going shopping in Lidl.
    I am going to see if i can get the weeks shopping on 40 instead of 50 this week.
    I dont have much to get really, so it shouldnt be too hard!

The exercise is going well, i am battling through the wind and rain to walk my son to school and back

Hope you all have a good day!
    SPC #465

My Savings Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=4815948
  • BigMummaF
    I've only had one spend day so far, & managed to get muvva's usual annual for-the-kitchen calendar from a charity stall set up in MrT's foyer at the same time. In all I guess I gave Dogs for the Deaf around 20% more than I needed to so my charidee bit is covered. Altho not technically as specified as per The Rules, I am prepared to defend any giving against not doing it because it's the wrong day, so there *defiantly pokes out tongue, but runs to hide behind a paperclip to avoid possible fall-out*

I'm registered as muvva's carer so running up & down her stairs is good exercise (second floor, no lift=no option
    ) but admit I do struggle with this bit. I never have seen the need to become all hot & sweaty running around in circles & probably never will. I'll happily research why the track is 400m long & who decided you had to run counter-clockwise; just don't expect me to join in the physical bits.
    I think it's because I was classed as a 'chesty' child until 17 yrs old & they finally decided I was asthmatic. I'd be out in the bracing winter winds waiting for my wheeze to wain on the hockey pitch, or stood alongside the supporters of summer sports days, sneezing till my eyeballs burst. Books became a lot better for my bronchial benefits & that habit hasn't left me since.

Still, all this chattering isn't getting the lunch ready. Stay warm Peeps & Stay Safe x
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• Sholly
    Hi DDDers,

Just calling in to declare NSD #7 which includes today but I have no need to spend any money today. Tomorrow will probably be a spend day as I'm going out for my birthday, it will just be a meal or cinema or something so won't be too pricey. Tuesday is my actual birthday but my MOT is due on the 18th and Tuesday is the only day I can get it done...seriously, who books an MOT for their birthday!!!! So the next few days will be spend days but I've got my budget sorted and will keep my MSE hat on (sure it will match my nice sparkly dress!!!)

Might also have to pop to Tesco soon before I turn into a baked bean!!

Hope you all have a good weekend - Kat hope you have fun on your walking weekend

Sholly x
    DFW and MFW
    Debt free target: June 2016
    15 months to go
  • abundant1972
    Hey All,

It's really nice to read about how everybody is going on, and that we're all battling our way through our debts bit by bit...

Finally move the rest of my stuff today (counting this as my 20 mins exercise ha ha!!!) which will be great - once I feel more settled I know my energy and enthusiasm will quadruple and I can really get in gear with debt clearing.

Today is a planned spend day (to use up vouchers) as is tomorrow (evening spent with my brother) so next NSD due Sunday... I might be a little absent from the boards until I get back Sunday evening... Stay well and keep up the good work...

New DFD - 01st July 2015
    1 Debt vs 100 Days: 0.00/1000.00

Capital One: Owe 475.00/500.00
    Emergency Fund: 0.00/500.00 Saved
  • NinjaSavingKat
    Good Afternoon Ladies and Gents,

I am leaving for my hiking in about 90 minutes and needed to check in and say hello as I might not be able to do anything over the weekend on the forum... keep posting though as I will be able to read it all..

Abundant I hope you have a nice weekend too - well done on non-NSD day planning though! How does it feel to be in the new place - who are you sharing with..?

Sholly I was at the mechanics on my birthday getting my bike tires changed.. how sad. Next year I intend to be in the sun somewhere not in London!

BigMummaF - I take it being a full time carer would leave you tired as well? Would you take your Mummy out for a walk or is she housebound..? Hope you are claiming carers allowance / benefits..

Thrifty well done on finding an entirely new route. You get to snoop down peoples driveways / Christmas tress as well on the way home..Hope you got something high vis or white on so cars can see you - pedestrians on dark roads scare the living daylights out of me sometimes..

MancMan - you found the first homeless person!!! ...and did you hurl everywhere babe?.. Thank you for buying the pooch some food - that is superb! I am so proud of you! Bet the doggie was so happy...ahhh this post made me SMILE!!!

Jamie - how is that essay coming along??

Kerfuffle you think like I do - I know the confession is the most scary post of running a thread like this so thought better of buying chips today..

PurpleJay - I am only going to do an AP order every 2-3 months. I find the snaky things very handy and the tinned fruit and crisps .. I just don't have a lot of room...

SpecialKaye - have you been eating special K with all this exercise.. Well done on your NSD's as well though!!!

Lilt = sumo daughter

Candy - well done on the overtime...any vouchers today???

Right sorry - I am too excited now. I am off to get changed... WOOOHOOOOO!!!!

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS.....( to the top of a big hill )

On the road of life..
  • WantToBeSE
    Have a lovely time Kat!
    SPC #465

My Savings Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=4815948
  • Mancman86
    NSK- Yup hurled everywhere. Starting to feel like cough is making a vengeful return just when I thought it was on the way out the door. Work christmas party tonight - they have told us they may surprise us with a treat tonight... maybe they are going to pay for us all, or just hand out P45's.
    Have a good weekend everyone, will be back online on Monday and will tally up NSD etc over the weekend and update.
    Debt Free by August 2013 fingers crossed.Total Debt 3000 C/C.84.35/3000 - 03.01.2013.
    124.25/3k -23/01/13 -
  • Kerfuffle
    Need to reassess today...at some point. Havnt been naughty with any cash, this "Mancflu" has caused me to lose the plot somewhat - some say I lost that years ago. Tried the garlic thing Kat, lets just say I had to clean the entire Kitchen with bleach.
    It was -5 for most of the day yesterday, I was in town for a meeting on lunch with a colleague - didnt spend any money on lunch as had sandwiches, however I did feel very sorry for a homeless guy who was shivering as was his small labrador, So I bought him a Greggs Pasty and Coffee (as specified by said homeless guy) and also bought a bottle of water and a poochie pouch full of food from Tesco Metro - total spend 4.90
    Originally posted by Mancman86
    Hey well done Mancman, going that little bit extra and including the pooch is brilliant I hope Santa is taking notes

I've only had one spend day so far, & managed to get muvva's usual annual for-the-kitchen calendar from a charity stall set up in MrT's foyer at the same time. In all I guess I gave Dogs for the Deaf around 20% more than I needed to so my charidee bit is covered. Altho not technically as specified as per The Rules, I am prepared to defend any giving against not doing it because it's the wrong day, so there *defiantly pokes out tongue, but runs to hide behind a paperclip to avoid possible fall-out*

Snip
    Originally posted by BigMummaF

Well done BigMummaF

Snip

Kerfuffle you think like I do - I know the confession is the most scary post of running a thread like this so thought better of buying chips today..

Right sorry - I am too excited now. I am off to get changed... WOOOHOOOOO!!!!

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS.....( to the top of a big hill )
    Originally posted by NinjaSavingKat
    NSK - I know, we're all so scary . Hope you have a fantastic time.

• Mancman86
    Couldnt leave out the pooch with his sad puppy dog eyes i just wanted to take the dog home.
    124.25/3k -23/01/13 -
  • p0lly
    Hello all NSD 5 am feeling in control
    Have a lovely time Kat. Mancman what a lovely thing to do. Demonstrates that being careful with the pennies does not make you mean (as my Friend said the other day when I said no to a lunch cos I am trying to save ) Anyway am off to another friend with bottle of fine (ish) wine for a catch up. have a good evening all.
    p0lly popsicle x
    JBFF # 20 NSD 12/25
    Jan Grocery budget 77 /100
  • nannygladys
    Hi everyone
    Just a quick visit to report another NSD - number 5 now - proud of myself I just hope I can manage 20!!!!!! and had Lo's from the pie I made from LO's yesterday IYKWIM. Worked today and its my weekend working so hopefully it'll be nsd's all the way.
    Jxx
  • liltdiddylilt
    Nanny you just hurt my brain with IYKWIM but I think it is if you know what I mean... If you know what I mean

Purplejay... My tesco is surrounded by two all you can eat chinese plus a chinese takeaway, a malaysian & thai restaurant, a mexican, 2 sandwich shops, a pub which serves food with live music & an italian. I am doomed to constantly spend my days walking past these places SNIFFING!

Kat, seriously, if I knew how to post a photo on here you could see the sumotastic thigh's she has got on her. She is midgety small but so SOLID and heavy!!! Love her to bits and pieces!

Mancman well done on finding your homeless person. I have been stalking them, but they appear to have stayed at home since the weather is abominable... (I say stayed at home, because the 2 homeless people I see regularly (with dogs for pity of course - I genuinely feel for the dog) get up off the floor at 6pm sharp, meet up with friends who are a bit alternative but definitely not homeless, & off they go... I'm not convinced! I may just give some stuff to the foodbank in lieu of coffee for rogues.

Kat, have a superspandangling walk!!! I hope it is not expensive for you and you have the best time!!

thrifty - Brilliant news on the bus route change - will be a lot better for you to do in the summer, so I admire you doing it now!!!

Today is NSD #6 in this house, and marks the end of my 4 in a row challenge!! Woop

Extra proud as met with a usual Costa coffee & ASDA shopping friend, had coffee at mine instead & did not buy a THING (!!!!) in the entire trip around ASDA!

Have a good evening all. My antibiotics are making me feel dreadful so I am just going to lurk a bit and snuggle under my duvet!
    NST May: SFD: 0/20 Groc/Toil/House: 0/215
    A black belt only covers 2 inches of your a$$ - You have to cover the rest yourself - Royce Gracie
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

962Posts Today

6,052Users online

Martin's Twitter