Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Employment, Jobseeking & Training > Is it OK to wear knee high boots to a job intervi... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Is it OK to wear knee high boots to a job interview?
Views: 5,718
# 1
brokeinwales
Old 27-11-2012, 3:19 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Is it OK to wear knee high boots to a job interview?

Smart black ones with a low heel - not tarty or casual. I know it's going to be wet out and they're the only things I have that are both smart and weather appropriate (and I can't walk in heels!) - I'd be wearing them with a smart almost-knee-length dress, tights and a blazer.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
InsideInsurance
Old 27-11-2012, 3:26 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

What level of job are you going for?

Obviously would really need to see them in the flesh, so to speak, but in general I'd try to avoid them. For a call centre staff, PA, administrator etc then you can get away with it. I would argue less so for a "professional" role.

Search on here though as lots ask the question and everyone chips in with their pennies worth
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to InsideInsurance For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Lucy Lastic
Old 27-11-2012, 3:28 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Yes!

(Sorry, less than 10 characters.)
Lucy Lastic
# 4
cte1111
Old 27-11-2012, 3:33 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Some people might see them as inappropriate, so best to avoid. In general, a pair of black flat shoes are pretty useful and don't have to cost a fortune. I'd try and buy or borrow some for the interview.

My friend worked in a shop years ago and when a lady came in asking about a job, the prospective employer decided she wasn't suitable based on her footwear. So little things like this can make a difference, they probably shouldn't but just in case

I would try and invest in a pair of interview shoes. They will be useful too, when you get a job, which fingers crossed could be very soon.
The Following User Says Thank You to cte1111 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
thehappybutterfly
Old 27-11-2012, 3:40 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I think they'd be alright with thick black tights. Gone are the days of sober suit and sensible heels, especially if you don't wear them all the time. Far better to be relaxed in your clothes than feeling like you've overdone it. I've interviewed dozens of people and I'm happy to see someone in a dress and heels. That's what I wear as the interviewer as I don't own a suit!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thehappybutterfly For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
brokeinwales
Old 27-11-2012, 3:47 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

It's for an admin role, but not a secretarial one, if you know the kind of thing I mean - so with responsibility but not "professional" as such.

I do wear the boots in my current job a lot, and many other women wear similar. My general instinct is that they'll be OK, but just wondered if there's one of those unwritten "you must never do this!" rules about boots and I'll be making a terrible faux pas. (Personally I think wearing boots in winter is a very sensible thing to do and would therefore reflect well on someone - but then, I'm not the one interviewing!)
# 7
InsideInsurance
Old 27-11-2012, 3:49 PM

I'd say they arent the best choice but unlikely to cost you the job
The Following User Says Thank You to InsideInsurance For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
ILW
Old 27-11-2012, 3:55 PM

I would say only if you cover them with trousers. That is unless you are a woman.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ILW For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
victoria61
Old 27-11-2012, 3:57 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I think you'd be fine - boots and a dress/skirt can look really smart. I have to dress professionally for my job and I quite often wear boots - I have about 10 pairs! I've interviewed loads of people and it certainly wouldn't have any kind of negative impact on me.
I did once interview someone for a receptionist job at a doctor's surgery and she turned up in flip flops with her purse in her hand! She looked like she was just popping out to the shops! (she didn't get the job)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to victoria61 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Dollardog
Old 27-11-2012, 4:07 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I'm going to go against the trend here and say that I think bearing in mind the weather at the moment, as long as they are smart, I can't see a problem, even for a professional job. Especially with a knee length skirt.
Hope you get the job!!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dollardog For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Ivrytwr3
Old 27-11-2012, 4:12 PM

If you really want the job then i suggest this outfit:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ivrytwr3 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
brokeinwales
Old 27-11-2012, 4:24 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Bit cold for that kind of thing.
The Following User Says Thank You to brokeinwales For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
runninglea
Old 27-11-2012, 4:29 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivrytwr3 View Post
If you really want the job then i suggest this outfit:

No boots here though!!
Year 2012 (900/900 Lpool credit card) , (2100/2100 natwest credit card), (1405/1405 tesco credit card), (0/8500mortgage repayment) Car loan (6770/6770), Nationwide (610/610)
Overall mortgage (8500/165568) (5.13%) (5/100) payments made. Total paid 2011 year 13,507
Total paid 2012 year 11,785
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to runninglea For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
Okydoky25
Old 27-11-2012, 4:40 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I'd say they will be fine. My mum used to work in employment and said the only footwear to put her off a good candidate was open toed shoes
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Okydoky25 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
SUESMITH
Old 27-11-2012, 5:56 PM

fine, boots can look really smart.

one of our senior people used to come to work in flip flops and strappy tops which were not appropriate business wear and i can't believe she got away with it
'We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time
The Following User Says Thank You to SUESMITH For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
Goldiegirl
Old 27-11-2012, 8:49 PM

I can't see any problem, with the weather we've been having it seems a sensible choice to me
The Following User Says Thank You to Goldiegirl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
keyser666
Old 28-11-2012, 12:55 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Lastic View Post
Yes!

(Sorry, less than 10 characters.)
To get around the less than 10 characters type in your answer and press the spacebar at least 10 times and then press the full stop key
The Following User Says Thank You to keyser666 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
keyser666
Old 28-11-2012, 12:56 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Yes .
# 19
cr1mson
Old 28-11-2012, 8:13 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

If you are uncomfortable you could always change them nearer the interview venue.

Although personally I don't see what the problem is. I used to wear boots all the time in my professional life pre kids and my job used to involve dealing with various high heid.

Although not with members of the public and wouldn't have been able to have done it had it I don't think.
# 20
tonyh66
Old 28-11-2012, 8:35 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeinwales View Post
Smart black ones with a low heel - not tarty or casual. I know it's going to be wet out and they're the only things I have that are both smart and weather appropriate (and I can't walk in heels!) - I'd be wearing them with a smart almost-knee-length dress, tights and a blazer.
sounds a bit piratey to me argghhhh.
The Following User Says Thank You to tonyh66 For This Useful Post: Show me >>