Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    freebyfifty
    We Are Decking the Halls with NSDs December Challenge
    • 27th Nov 12, 7:17 AM
    We Are Decking the Halls with NSDs December Challenge 27th Nov 12 at 7:17 AM
    Welcome to the December No Spend Day (NSD) thread!!

We are a happy (and some might say mildly insane) bunch doing battle with those retailers - and theres plenty of temptation out there at the moment. We are seriously committed to saving money, but nobody said it can't be done with a smile on your face - so we organise riotous nights out and gatecrash any function going - all without leaving the comfort of our own imaginations or armchairs!

On a slightly more serious note, we are here to help each other avoid spending for the number of days we feel we can manage to try to take back some control over our hard-earned money. What you class as a "spend'" is entirely your choice; some people will try to shop on the days DD/SO etc are paid, whilst others will not include essentials such as rent. Have a look for a post from our sponsor (and godmother of this challenge) BigMummaF, this contains some guidelines and ideas for starting you off on the challenge.

Its amazing how inventive you get when youre determined NOT to spend - from weird menu ingredients to surprising DIY solutions - but you know what? 99% of the time those wacky ideas work.

Link to last month's challenge is below so any newcomers can see what we get up to (hmmmmm... on second thoughts, that might put you off...)

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4254533
    Free by Fifty

Debt of the Moment -
    August NSD Challenge 14/15
Page 2
  • ifwisheswerehorses...
    ~ Welcome to December's NSD Challenge ~

Hi lovely NSD gang
    As you can see there is lots of activity on this challenge at the moment and it's difficult sometimes to see how many NSDs you're all declaring on posts.
    Could I ask you to highlight your number of NSDs in a colour and in bold so that I can see them easily when I whizz through the posts - red would be best but I don't really mind as long as I can see the numbers easily.
    Originally posted by freebyfifty

Some helpful suggestions and ideas to follow below from our sponsor and godmother, BigMummaF

NO SPEND CHALLENGE.

1. Have a good, long think about what YOU want to include in your Spend & Excluded categories.
    Some of us count everything from Direct Debits & school expenses, while others do not include things like essential Bills or emergency medical costs. If you plan what is or is not a Spend for you now, it will help you decide on a realistic Target.
    2. It is NOT a race!
    We all have very different demands on our time & bank balance, so please do not think you have to buy everything on 1st January & make it last till 31st December! A few of us have been following this Challenge for a long...long...LONG time so have developed plans & ploys to help us along the way
    3. Most important of all, WE..DO..NOT..FAIL!
    Sometimes we can't quite reach our Target, but that is fine Everyone knows how Life will try to trip us up, & that is when you will find us here to help you back on to your feet.

OK, an idea of how some of us do things.
    1. What you will or will not include as a 'Spend'.
    Some people are doing other challenges too, & don't include the money spent on those for this one.
    Some will try to shop for other bits on the days their direct debits etc go out of their bank accounts; they're the real hard core of the bunch & have been l-o-n-g time Nsders so don't panic
    Some won't count those annoying last minute demands from school & collections as you can't plan for them in advance, likewise emergency prescriptions or visits to the vet
    Personally speaking & providing I don't buy anything else, I don't count parking for hospital appointments.(..but then I usually do my shopping because I'm already out )
    General thoughts on bay sales is the buyer has paid P&P so no cost to you
    2. It takes Time to reach mega-numbers!
    The First suggestion is the first, because a bit of planning will work wonders on your road to your Target. Have a look at thefirst posts each month for a hefty list of other threads that may be of help. For example, there's a few giving ideas for packed lunches so you can avoid standing in the queue at the bakers for 45mins of your lunch hour! A good incentive to tweak your healthy eating & the pounds you save will show in your bank balance AND your waistline
    It helps to have various 'money pots' for the different costs that happen like Scouts, dinner money, yoga, window cleaner etc etc. The idea is you "spend" all that money in one hit by....
    let's say **putting the week's bus fares into the pretty coffee jar, Jo's tumble tots [Weds mornings] in the cracked teapot & Ben's 1 coin for the gym locker [Friday lunch] in the pocket of the changing bag, on Tuesdays every week when you've got some change from doing the food shop, so an already spendy day. At least four 'spending days' condensed into one (**mine's jam jars for windows, milkman & a bit towards the bills!)
    3. Any day the money stays in your pocket is a bonus!
    If you look at it as a day you beat the system, you can't help but so don't fret it--ENJOY! If nothing else in here, we do manage find something to make us smile

We have virtual outings to wonderful places that never cost us a bean New York, Edinburgh & Brighton have been a couple & Spoon usually pilots the Tardis but you can use your own transport; my personal favourite has been a sit-on lawn mower borrowed from the cricket club The only thing to be aware of is Hubert the donkey who is partial to anything remotely edible but is not yet house-trained

And Remember;
    there are no silly questions, so don't be afraid to ask us anything!
    "If wishes were horses, then beggars would ride"
    BSC Member 310
  • ifwisheswerehorses...
    Big Thank you to Freeby for doing December's NSD thread xx

Thanks to all who do the updates too, you are all stars

Could you put me down for 15 NSD's please

Thank you
    IF...x
    "If wishes were horses, then beggars would ride"
    BSC Member 310
  • choppy34
    Hello

This will be m first challenge so am keeping it achievable!

Put me down for 9 NSD with 3 in a row

Good luck everyone x
    December 11 2012 balances
    HSBC CC 1700 now 1190 <------ aim to pay 700 by end 2012
    Barclay CC 3600 now 3541
    Barclay CC2 7900 now 6962
    Also a 10k loan to pay off........... months to go 59 58
    LBM 29/10/12
    • phoenix_dragon
    • By phoenix_dragon 27th Nov 12, 3:10 PM
    • 408 Posts
    • 2,375 Thanks
    phoenix_dragon
    Hi, please can I sign up for 20 NSDs? I'm going to be more successful in December than November, if only because I barely have a penny to my name.
    1000.00 Very account
    2330.07 Barclaycard
    Total paid -286.77/3043.30
  • laura16
    Can you put me down for 10 NSD, thought I would go for 10 seen as I haven't had a go before but my new years resolution is to sort money out and get fit so thought i better get into some good habits now
    Sealed pot challenge 1875
    • HeadAboveWater
    • By HeadAboveWater 27th Nov 12, 4:45 PM
    • 3,900 Posts
    • 9,344 Thanks
    HeadAboveWater
    Please don't laugh, but sign me up for 10 NSDs. AGAIN!!!!!!!

Maybe next month I'll actually hit target. Third time lucky and all that
    Wealth is what you're left with when all your money runs out

FD Target take 2: 3025/3600
    ebay sales 2014: 106.64
    • Piquant
    • By Piquant 27th Nov 12, 5:18 PM
    • 5,764 Posts
    • 29,891 Thanks
    Piquant
    Please may I sign up for 15 NSDs and 3 in a row. Not sure how easy it will be in December, but I'll give it go...
    Total debt at October 2008: 67,213.30
    Total debt today: 0
    - debt and mortgage free 29th November 2013
    Sealed Pot Challenge member 14
    Save 12K in 2014 - 6,521.90/6K member 138

• The Dragon
    A starter of 10 and 4 in a row please
    Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and good with catsup
    NSD 15/20, OS WL 21-6 (4) C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z #44 Twisted Firestarter, VSP #57 - 39.43
    Every Penny's a Prisoner
  • Lucyv
    Hi, I've never done this before so would like to start with 5 NSDs please
    Lucy
    24500 in debt

• Rainbow Chaser
    Hi

I'm new to all this but keen to get started - please put me down for

10 NSD in total, 3 in a row

Thanks!
    I could deny, but I'll never realise I'm just chasing rainbows all the time
  • artnoble
    I want to join in

It will be a tough month for me so I'm going to start with10 days
    Watch this space.... Will update soon!
    • liltdiddylilt
    • By liltdiddylilt 27th Nov 12, 7:00 PM
    • 4,017 Posts
    • 28,022 Thanks
    liltdiddylilt
    Hello all

First time I have tried this. With the help of my little accounting app on my phone, I may even be able to count up how many NSD's I have actually had in December...

Please put me down for 20 NSD's and 4 in a row!!

Good luck everyone
    Last edited by liltdiddylilt; 27-11-2012 at 9:56 PM. Reason: Joined DDD (am I bonkers?!?!)
    NST June: SFD: 11/20 Groc/Toil/House: 0/250
    A black belt only covers 2 inches of your a$$ - You have to cover the rest yourself - Royce Gracie
  • stardrops42
    Hi all

Can I go for 10 NSD's and 3 in a row. I love a challenge
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 27th Nov 12, 8:06 PM
    • 41,910 Posts
    • 139,031 Thanks
    beanielou
    Massive thanks to freeby & all those good enough to do the updates
    Prizes are fabarooni.

Im going to sign up for 11 this month.
    We are in the email this week
    Last edited by beanielou; 27-11-2012 at 8:08 PM.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs**

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now.
  • p0lly
    Hello all can I have 20 NSD for december please I think I am going NSD crazy. P0lly x
    JBFF # 20 NSD 12/25
    Jan Grocery budget 77 /100
  • CandyCupcake
    Hi

Can I put myself forward for 20 NSDs please

Candy
    x
    Total debt to date: 3,238.10
  • EverTheOptimist
    Hi Freeby

I'd like to come back and have another go after being awol in November please.

I will go for 10 please, will try and be more organised and achieve more NSD's and post more regularly.

I guess it will still come down to whether i actually fancy the food i have in or whether i have to buy my meals daily. I'm hoping baby will settle soon, i keep being told it gets easier in the 2nd trimester, well at 15 weeks it hasnt happened yet.

Good luck everyone.
    DEBT: 2300
    SPC 7 #5 target = 100 / actual = 60
    SPC 8 #5 target 100

1 a week challenge - 107/ 365
  • JAMIEDODGER
    Can I be put down for 20 NSD for December please x
  • freebyfifty
    Good Morning

Everyone so far has been added to the front pages. Good luck to us all and welcome to all the newbies - you are gonna be addicted in no time. As usual check I have got you right (it is very early in the morning )

I am going for my usual20 NSDS but with 7-in-a-row

Thank you for all the thank yous and I'm glad you like the snowmen. It is always a relief when you like the prizes

Have a great hump day
    Free by Fifty

Debt of the Moment -
    August NSD Challenge 14/15
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 28th Nov 12, 7:21 AM
    • 1,592 Posts
    • 4,704 Thanks
    Munchin
    Morning everyone,
    Please put me down for 8 NSDs this month and 3 in a row
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

298Posts Today

2,206Users online

Martin's Twitter