Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Credit Cards > Getting post for someone never lived at address -... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Getting post for someone never lived at address - MBNA Debt?
Views: 37,146
# 1
NX1977
Old 24-11-2012, 11:36 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Getting post for someone never lived at address - MBNA Debt?

Not sure if this is the most appropriate forum, if not staff please feel free to move.

For the last few weeks been getting post for someone who's never lived here. We're the 2nd owners of the house.

The mail has a return address of PO Box 189, Huddersfield HD8 1DY which a google search today flags as a debt collector firm chasing MBNA debts. One of this links showed the PO Box as being owned by
FAIRFAX SOLICITORS, MERRION STREET, LEEDS, LS2 8BX, TELEPHONE NUMBER 01138233898

The name on the letters doesnt appear on the electorial register, so assume its either an admin error, or someone's changed their address to ours?

All mail has been returned as not known at address, but as fast as they're sent back then more arrive.

Does any one have any advice?
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
Wheres My Cashback
Old 25-11-2012, 12:08 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Open a letter (it's not illegal to do so), call them, tell them to stop sending them or you're report them for harrassment.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wheres My Cashback For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
cajef
Old 25-11-2012, 11:51 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheres My Cashback View Post
Open a letter (it's not illegal to do so)
Sorry but that is wrong it is illegal :-

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=4307699
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
# 4
Jinx
Old 25-11-2012, 11:58 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Looking at that link, its open to interpretation. Who has the detriment to you opening a seemingly correctly addressed piece of mail? I'd say a letter coming to your house about debt that is not yours is grounds for a 'reasonable excuse'; indeed its how I found out about identity fraud using my name. Certainly the person the mail is for knows it is not coming to their own address, are they going to complain?

I'd open any mail to my address that looked suss especially re debt. I just bin things with the previous owners name which looks like insurance offers etc as I've been here 6 years so know its junk.

128.Subsection (3) makes it an offence for a person, intending to act to a personís detriment and without reasonable excuse, to open a postal packet which he knows or suspects has been incorrectly delivered to him.
Light Bulb Moment - 11th Nov 2004 - Debt Free Day - 25th Mar 2011
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jinx For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Wheres My Cashback
Old 25-11-2012, 12:17 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajef View Post

No its not, there must be intent for it to be illegal just as there has to prove and prosecute for theft. Def no intent in stopping unwanted mail/harrassment.

Last edited by Wheres My Cashback; 25-11-2012 at 12:19 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wheres My Cashback For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Squirrel2000
Old 25-11-2012, 12:26 PM
MoneySaving Convert

We had this situation and spoke to the local police who advised us to return items to sender. We opened mail and spoke to each institution. Some, like debt collectors, will ask you to confirm in writing. We were also advised to notify credit agencies which is easier said than done.
The Following User Says Thank You to Squirrel2000 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
NX1977
Old 25-11-2012, 12:41 PM
MoneySaving Convert

So far just the one institution.

I might contact Fairfax via phone tomorrow about this.

How do you go about telling the credit agencies and how many are there?
# 8
Squirrel2000
Old 25-11-2012, 12:48 PM
MoneySaving Convert

We contacted experian and equifax by phone.
# 9
oki25
Old 25-11-2012, 6:54 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Just call MBNA on 0800 062062 and ask them to block mail as he doesn't live there, any forwarding address will be appreciated. The 'blacklist' is done by name not address, so shouldn't impact you. They will 'trace' him through other means and can stop mail in the mean time
# 10
stclair
Old 26-11-2012, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX1977 View Post
Not sure if this is the most appropriate forum, if not staff please feel free to move.

For the last few weeks been getting post for someone who's never lived here. We're the 2nd owners of the house.

The mail has a return address of PO Box 189, Huddersfield HD8 1DY which a google search today flags as a debt collector firm chasing MBNA debts. One of this links showed the PO Box as being owned by
FAIRFAX SOLICITORS, MERRION STREET, LEEDS, LS2 8BX, TELEPHONE NUMBER 01138233898

The name on the letters doesnt appear on the electorial register, so assume its either an admin error, or someone's changed their address to ours?

All mail has been returned as not known at address, but as fast as they're sent back then more arrive.

Does any one have any advice?

Just bin it the letters coming to your address will not affect your credit rating at all.

I get atleast 5 DCA letters a week chasing previous tenants at my address and they all get binned.
I Work For NatWest
However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
# 11
Blue_Max
Old 27-11-2012, 10:52 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I have had such letters in the past.
Phoning these type of 'debt collection agencies' and 'solicitors' is a waste of time. They buy debts about to be written off for a tiny amount and send out automated letters. If someone pays up, most of it is profit for them.

As they were not in my name, I stopped wasting my time and binned subsequent letters. Haven't heard anything now for many years.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blue_Max For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Calicrates
Old 29-04-2013, 11:17 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Max View Post
I have had such letters in the past.
Phoning these type of 'debt collection agencies' and 'solicitors' is a waste of time. They buy debts about to be written off for a tiny amount and send out automated letters. If someone pays up, most of it is profit for them.

As they were not in my name, I stopped wasting my time and binned subsequent letters. Haven't heard anything now for many years.
This is all correct , DCA's purchase debts for around 10% of the total then send letters in the hope of collecting in full for profit . I too used to receive them for previous tenants of my address and sent them back only to receive more within a few days . Here's what I did , On the envelope i wrote :-

NO CONTRACT Ė RETURN TO SENDER

I DO NOT RECOGNISE YOU.

I DO NOT UNDERSTAND YOUR INTENT.

IT IS NOT MY WILL OR WISH TO CONTRACT.

I DO NOT HAVE AN INTERNATIONAL TREATY WITH YOU.

NO ASSURED VALUE NO LIABILITY.

RETURN TO SENDER.

after this the letter flow slowed but I still received them occasionally and did the same as above . When they kept sending them (I kept a record of how many I was receiving).
After this I searched the po box number and telephoned them stating the amount of letters , the time I had to commit to returning them and complained about the inconvenience it was causing , I then proceeded to inform them (as they record their calls) that any further mail for this person that I have to reply to will be returned as before but this time in an envelope from myself with a fee for wasting my time , £100 per word + £500 for inconvenience I think I quoted them . Needless to say the letters stopped from this particular company . Here's the kicker , all these DCA's do then is sell/pass on the debt to another DCA and the process starts all over .

The next ones I get I'm actually sending them a bill for my time and see if they pay up , If they don't im guessing pass the debt on to a DCA to collect it for me lol

Personally though I think there should be a way to stop this altogether .
# 13
rocksuperstar
Old 01-12-2013, 2:01 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default My private data has been given to them by chess telecom ltd.

If you are customer of the CHESS TELECOM LTD.

chesstelecom[DOT]com

YOUR NAME AND ADDRESS WILL BE GIVEN TO THE DEBT COLLECTING COMPANYíS !!! like this.

Be aware of the CHESS TELECOM LTD.
# 14
DavidP24
Old 26-07-2014, 10:35 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Got a couple of these today from Arrow Global, they had stopped for a while but as the posts above suggest just send them out over and over.

I think what causes this is that one company does a search for someone at a specific address, that is considered "activity" and equifax etc sends an alert to their clients who have signed up for alerts.

So a debt is sold or assigned by Arrow for 3 months, the assignee does a search that makes the address "active" this triggers an alert to Arrow but because they assigned it for 3 months they do not act. The assignee gets nowhere, the debt goes back to Arrow who now see the address as active and send out further letters.

So it goes on and on and on.

We such return such letters to sender, if they send more we tell them that we are invoicing them a "Handling & Storage" charge if any more are sent, we make a photocopy and then include that with an invoice if they send another. I add interest to the invoice and say they can deduct it if prompt payment is received.

These companies make the rules up as they go along, I used to open the letters and it was hilarious what they wrote, they start off with threats, then they offer a "substantial" discount when really they just want to find you so they can intimidate you.

I have seen it all, letters made to look as if they are from Lawyers and a while back there was one that looked like a summons, but was a fake "preparation" document.
The Following User Says Thank You to DavidP24 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
Pyxis
Old 26-07-2014, 11:10 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanked 6,282 Times in 1,862 Posts

Another thing you could try is to pop the letters in another envelope, perhaps with a covering note, and post it to them , but without a stamp. They will then have to pay the postage if they want to receive the letter. It just may stop them.
(I just lurve spiders! )
# 16
Nasqueron
Old 26-07-2014, 7:13 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidP24 View Post
Got a couple of these today from Arrow Global, they had stopped for a while but as the posts above suggest just send them out over and over.

I think what causes this is that one company does a search for someone at a specific address, that is considered "activity" and equifax etc sends an alert to their clients who have signed up for alerts.

So a debt is sold or assigned by Arrow for 3 months, the assignee does a search that makes the address "active" this triggers an alert to Arrow but because they assigned it for 3 months they do not act. The assignee gets nowhere, the debt goes back to Arrow who now see the address as active and send out further letters.

So it goes on and on and on.

We such return such letters to sender, if they send more we tell them that we are invoicing them a "Handling & Storage" charge if any more are sent, we make a photocopy and then include that with an invoice if they send another. I add interest to the invoice and say they can deduct it if prompt payment is received.

These companies make the rules up as they go along, I used to open the letters and it was hilarious what they wrote, they start off with threats, then they offer a "substantial" discount when really they just want to find you so they can intimidate you.

I have seen it all, letters made to look as if they are from Lawyers and a while back there was one that looked like a summons, but was a fake "preparation" document.
Had this at university with a tenant in the house from the year before us, we eventually opened a couple of the mail items to find out who was sending them to point them in the right direction (as the guy was a student at the university I suggested they call them as they must have a forwarding address) - started off with bills from the mobile phone company, they went to debt collectors, who added a fee, then the letter from the solicitors demanding payment of the original debt (without debt collector fee) - stopped sending them after we spoke to the agency and told them the guy didn't live there any more.

One plus side of opening the mail, we found £100 in cash in one envelope that had simply been mis-delivered, fortunately the actual intended recipient was only just down the road so we could hand it over - always a lesson to use cheque or transfer though
The Following User Says Thank You to Nasqueron For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
Pyxis
Old 26-07-2014, 7:58 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanked 6,282 Times in 1,862 Posts
Default P10 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasqueron View Post

One plus side of opening the mail, we found £100 in cash in one envelope that had simply been mis-delivered, fortunately the actual intended recipient was only just down the road so we could hand it over - always a lesson to use cheque or transfer though
Thank you thank you thank you!!! For doing the right thing!

It's wonderful to hear of someone being honest! There's so much petty pilfering and 'finders keepers' attitudes, that it's refreshing to hear there are people who will look out for others!

Mind you, am amazed at anyone sending £100 through the post! I wouldn't even send a fiver these days!
(I just lurve spiders! )
# 18
chattychappy
Old Yesterday, 6:56 AM

Thanked 2,469 Times in 1,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajef View Post

Er... and that thread doesn't conclude it's illegal !
# 19
Fluke85
Old Yesterday, 9:21 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

We've started getting letters like this for the previous owner of our house - we've lived here since end of June 2013 but get mail for them most days still.

Had a couple of letters this week from a debt collection age cy saying bai.iffs would be round to reclaim etc and another one from County Court Business Centre saying previous owner owes thousands to Barclaycard! More worrying, it says the account number was assigned to him in Nov 2013 which is when we'd already been living here 5 months - apologies for sounding stupid but does anyone know if that means the barclaycard account number? If so i believe thats fraud considering he'd sold the property months previously?!

Frustratingly we have no forwarding address, i was told by the estate agent at the time they now lived in Spain....

Any advice?