IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Monument Credit Card
Views: 47,729
# 121
HAVEFAITH
Old 08-11-2007, 4:47 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default MONUMENT Credit Card Services

Hi peeps,

I am having majortrouble getting any replies from MONUMENT, with regard to retrieving Credit Card charges. They are ignoring all letters (sent by RD too & have been signed for according to the Royal Mail website) .... any tips from anyone please?
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 122
techspec
Old 08-11-2007, 5:08 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAVEFAITH View Post
Hi peeps,

I am having majortrouble getting any replies from MONUMENT, with regard to retrieving Credit Card charges. They are ignoring all letters (sent by RD too & have been signed for according to the Royal Mail website) .... any tips from anyone please?
Are you after statements or have you requested the money?
# 123
Maranman
Old 09-11-2007, 10:18 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Wink Monument - New Claim - and Newbie....

Hi to fellow Monument victims!

I have only just started - sent the first letter/s and postal order/s out yesterday (8th November 2007) !

(1)
It has only just dawned on me that I should have sent the statement request letters (to 3 different credit card companies and my old bank) by Recorded Delivery - dumb I know!
However, I still have the receipts from the Post Office to prove I paid them by Postal Order.

Is this going to matter??? Am I going to have to write the cost of the Postal Orders off to experience and send the whole lot again by Recorded Delivery? What a muppet?

(2)
I still have a few old statements and can see a variable "Payment break plan" charge of about 5-7 on a 1008.21 balance.
I can't remember what this charge was about? (we are talking a 2005 statement after all)
Anybody know? Do I claim this back as well?

(3)
I am in this for the long haul!!!!!!!
I am speaking from experience when I say to other victims DON'T give up and DON'T be worried about going to Court! We found the Court/Insolvency Service people to be most helpful and friendly - even the Judge was OK...

I know what I am talking about as the family and I have been to Hell and back including separate Bankruptcy for my Wife and I for 22k.
We were forced into this by ill health and these companies preyed on our misfortune No matter how long it takes I will have MY money back

(4)
The great news is that we are clear of ALL debt and have been discharged.
We have a frugal lifestyle and NO credit history and don't need any Credit - we are managing to keep our heads above water and live within our budget.
I don't mean to brag but we even SAVE some money every month with our local Credit Union.

I WISH YOU ALL GOOD LUCK
# 124
ICan'tStandIt
Old 09-12-2007, 10:46 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maranman View Post
(2)
I still have a few old statements and can see a variable "Payment break plan" charge of about £5-£7 on a £1008.21 balance.
I can't remember what this charge was about? (we are talking a 2005 statement after all)
Anybody know? Do I claim this back as well?
Payment Break Plan covers losing your job, going into hospital etc and they freeze your balance for something like three years if your claim is successful.

The cover is charged as a percentage of your balance - the more you owe, the more the cover costs.

They typically give you back 6 months to a years worth without too many questions asked if you say you think the plan may have been mis-sold to you.
# 125
ICan'tStandIt
Old 09-12-2007, 10:49 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Hi peeps,

Make sure it is their Crawley address you are posting them too.

Call them up and ask for their fax number if you have copies you can fax.
# 126
HAVEFAITH
Old 18-12-2007, 1:10 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by techspec View Post
Statements
# 127
HAVEFAITH
Old 18-12-2007, 1:59 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Monument contact number ....

Hi peeps ... seasons greetings to u all!

I have perservered and found a contact number for Monument

Freephone 0800 2794783 or 0845 0820082

I am awaiting a call back to get 6 years of statements, so lets see what happens. Getting anything out of Monument is proving a task!
# 128
ICan'tStandIt
Old 27-12-2007, 7:29 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICan'tStandIt View Post
Make sure it is their Crawley address you are posting them too.

Call them up and ask for their fax number if you have copies you can fax.

Monument Visa
Portland Building
25 High Street
Crawley
West Sussex RH10 1BG

Monument is a trading name of CompuCredit UK
# 129
HAVEFAITH
Old 29-12-2007, 2:17 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by techspec View Post
Statements
# 130
Welsh_Adey
Old 22-01-2008, 8:09 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICan'tStandIt View Post
Payment Break Plan covers losing your job, going into hospital etc and they freeze your balance for something like three years if your claim is successful.

The cover is charged as a percentage of your balance - the more you owe, the more the cover costs.

They typically give you back 6 months to a years worth without too many questions asked if you say you think the plan may have been mis-sold to you.
Hi all, I tried to claim back my Payment Break Plan and they said its not insurance and is not subject to the GISC private code. Does anyone know what this means? I have had this monument card form Dec 2005, and i got statements showing that i been paying this Payment Break Plan from then, but when i sent the first letter about reclaiming PPI they said I phoned them on the 5 Jan 2007 and my card was activated and i was enrolled in the optional payment break plan. Very strange.

Any ideas?
# 131
Welsh_Adey
Old 22-01-2008, 8:18 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh_Adey View Post
Hi all. Just thought I would post to let you know that I am claiming my charges and PPI cover back from Monument. Looks like it could take some time. Will keep you all posted.

I have a stupid question, who do you make the Cheque payable to when sending it for the data protection thingy, I have just addressed it to "Monument Credit Card Services", is that wrong or right.

cheers
Thought I would give you all an update. I put a claim in for 320 plus 36.05 intereset. They offored me 44 in part settlement, bascially the differen from the old chard to the new 12 pound one. Most my charges came in 2006 after the FSO said 12 is more fair. Today I have sent them a letter that i am not happy with the 44, but am will to take the 320 (i.e. no intreset) if they pay me wihtin 2 weeks. If not i will take them to court.

I have seen a lot of people talkng about a number for the legal team, can someone post it here.

Also have any of you tried to claim back you Paymen Break Plan cover?
# 132
HAVEFAITH
Old 22-01-2008, 7:16 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Thought I would give you all an update. I put a claim in for 320 plus 36.05 intereset. They offored me 44 in part settlement, bascially the differen from the old chard to the new 12 pound one. Most my charges came in 2006 after the FSO said 12 is more fair. Today I have sent them a letter that i am not happy with the 44, but am will to take the 320 (i.e. no intreset) if they pay me wihtin 2 weeks. If not i will take them to court.

I have seen a lot of people talkng about a number for the legal team, can someone post it here.

Also have any of you tried to claim back you Paymen Break Plan cover?
Hi,

Have you got any contact names or numbers at monument please? I am still awaiting a DSAR reply ...
# 133
poisonivy
Old 28-01-2008, 12:25 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Unhappy New Monument Claim

Hi, Been having a read of the over posts.
I am in the process of claiming from monument.

Not sure I am doing it right tho. My charges are as follows:

369.17 (Total spent on card)
606.96 (Paid on account by myself)

Charges:
119.91 Payment Break Plan ??? (out of work, unable to claim on)
168.00 Late Payment Fee
420.00 Overlimit Fee
315.81 Merchandise Interest
1.65 Cash Interest.

I know I can only claim for late payment fee and overlimit fee, and I have calculated these with interest to 638.66 I have sent the paperwork to Monument, they replied with : Bla Bla offer 204.00 and a new bill of 805.22 with Payment break plan on again.

I am obviously wanting to refuse the 204.00 and preparing a letter, but does anyone know where I stand on this payment break plan, I have requested this to cover me being out of work and they inform me that that is not the case as I am in arrears. I have also requested that they stop charging this but was also told no. Why am I being charged this???

Any advice on this would be really helpfull

# 134
CARLXXXH
Old 28-01-2008, 4:46 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisonivy View Post
Hi, Been having a read of the over posts.
I am in the process of claiming from monument.

Not sure I am doing it right tho. My charges are as follows:

369.17 (Total spent on card)
606.96 (Paid on account by myself)

Charges:
119.91 Payment Break Plan ??? (out of work, unable to claim on)
168.00 Late Payment Fee
420.00 Overlimit Fee
315.81 Merchandise Interest
1.65 Cash Interest.

I know I can only claim for late payment fee and overlimit fee, and I have calculated these with interest to 638.66 I have sent the paperwork to Monument, they replied with : Bla Bla offer 204.00 and a new bill of 805.22 with Payment break plan on again.

I am obviously wanting to refuse the 204.00 and preparing a letter, but does anyone know where I stand on this payment break plan, I have requested this to cover me being out of work and they inform me that that is not the case as I am in arrears. I have also requested that they stop charging this but was also told no. Why am I being charged this???

Any advice on this would be really helpfull

Hello Poisonivy

Make sure you hang in there.

Monument use a lot of stalling tactics, but you should get a full payout!.

They paid my claim of 950.00 in full last month, although I had to issue legal procedings against them.

Good Luck

Carl
# 135
Welsh_Adey
Old 29-01-2008, 4:00 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Hi,

Have you got any contact names or numbers at monument please? I am still awaiting a DSAR reply ...
Hi there,

I have sent all mails to
Monument
Portland Building
25 The High Street
Crawly
West Sussex
Rh10 1BG

From their replies, there is a number 01293 802473. Different people have been signing the letters.
The 1st letter regarding getting my charges via the Data Protection act was signed by Penny Stringer
The 2nd letter, where they offored me 44.00 (i put a calim in for around 400) was signed by Carole O'Neil.

Regarding getting charges and PPI or as Monument call it Payment Break Plan have all gone to the same address. the 25 The High Street one.

I will need to take monument to court or go via the ombudsman for my credit cards charges, but I have been offered 157.70 for my Payment Break Plan, becasue they said i accepted it via the phone on a certin date, but when i asked them for a copy of this call they could not find it, so offered me 157.70. Need to work out if this is the full amount, if not will need to decide

So what to do...
Hope this helps anyone!
# 136
getmefree
Old 30-01-2008, 11:36 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Hi there,

I have sent all mails to
Monument
Portland Building
25 The High Street
Crawly
West Sussex
Rh10 1BG

From their replies, there is a number 01293 802473. Different people have been signing the letters.
The 1st letter regarding getting my charges via the Data Protection act was signed by Penny Stringer
The 2nd letter, where they offored me 44.00 (i put a calim in for around 400) was signed by Carole O'Neil.

Regarding getting charges and PPI or as Monument call it Payment Break Plan have all gone to the same address. the 25 The High Street one.

I will need to take monument to court or go via the ombudsman for my credit cards charges, but I have been offered 157.70 for my Payment Break Plan, becasue they said i accepted it via the phone on a certin date, but when i asked them for a copy of this call they could not find it, so offered me 157.70. Need to work out if this is the full amount, if not will need to decide

So what to do...
Hope this helps anyone!

hi there

I am planning on claiming from monument, sounds like a right pain!! Was just wondering if someone could help me...i plan on claiming back the usual charges AND the payment break plan if possible as I paid for it, went into hospital for an op only to be told it was not valid!! Do you have to specify you want to claim for this in the letter?

Thanks
# 137
getmefree
Old 30-01-2008, 11:42 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Also after the takeover, who should the 10 cheque be made payable to?

Thanks
# 138
ncdbarton
Old 31-01-2008, 9:54 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Just a quick update, as I have been sucsessful in claiming 500 from Monument which has been credited to the card account. However the account is still 400 in the red which I intend to pay off and close within the next few months.
The Following User Says Thank You to ncdbarton For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 139
maz1964
Old 01-02-2008, 2:12 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Smile

hiya fantastic success, the amount you got im curious did you get the full overlimit and failed payments charges plus interest or only perhaps the charges of over the 12.00 and no interest or did you just get the full charges of 20.00 and the 12.00 but without any interest. was this without going to court or at least did you threaten court action

pls update my amount i dont think as high as you but will have a few of the above 12.00 charges and a few of the 12.00 charges,

should i just go for the full amounts plus interest in the first instance and then negoitiate will accept full amounts but without the interest, id rather the funds go directly to the credit card to decrease the amount.

would appreciate your help

have a fun day and ciao MAZ
# 140
hampsterpoo
Old 05-02-2008, 4:29 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default ooopps forgot the tenner

Just an update , on sunday I realised that I'd forgotton to include the 10 , due to the fact I was sending a stage 2 letter to citi at the same time as stage one to monument , anyway yesterday the kind people send me my statements and waived the 10 fee.
I wonder if they will be so generous with my next letter.