Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • artnoble
    • By artnoble 21st Nov 12, 8:10 PM
    • 630Posts
    • 791Thanks
    artnoble
    End of the road
    • 21st Nov 12, 8:10 PM
    End of the road 21st Nov 12 at 8:10 PM
    Really don't know where to go with this.

Basically as it stands I think I have about 12k worth of debts. Probably about 8 creditors. I got made redundant about 3 years ago and was making token payments which stopped.

Now as its stands I don't know who I owe money to. I get letters upon letters from debt collectors asking for money for amounts I can't remember from accounts I've forgotten about.

I'm back earning a wage, and spending is out of control. I pick up abut 1200 a month. Live at home paying 100 board. Car costs less than 100 a month. Don't really have allot of other out goings but have no discipline over spending.

I'm a driver and when I'm at work I eat junk for breakfast and dinner weekend goes on beer and takeaways.

I'm 30 next year and have this mounting of debt and nobody will touch me. Can't even get a phone contract.

I really need to learn to budget, make meals for work and not spend a 10er every day in Tesco.

The only bank account I can get is a Lloyd tsb basic account which I can only use their own cash machines.

It's really getting me down. I've visited the doctors and they put me on anti depressants. I'm really at rock bottom.

I don't know how to get out this mess, or if I have the energy
    Watch this space.... Will update soon!
Page 2
  • eeeeeee
    welldone
    the first thing you have done right is admitted that you have a problem !
    NSD = 3/31 spent = 97.88/31 groceries = 26/31 fuel =2/31
    various debts = /14366.89secured loan = /13887.21 full settlement figuremortgage = /64,342.45
    ime not debt free ,but ime trying JANUARY BIG FINANCIAL FREEZE (JBFF)no35
    proud owner of a british bullog puppies due end of jan2013
    • sistafromanothermista
    • By sistafromanothermista 22nd Nov 12, 6:09 PM
    • 2,157 Posts
    • 2,599 Thanks
    sistafromanothermista
    Yours was the slap in the face I needed. I'll let you off this time
    Originally posted by artnoble

Sometimes that's what you need

You will get there artnoble just persevere with it...
    DEBT FREE AND PROUD

'Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt'
    • greenanne
    • By greenanne 22nd Nov 12, 6:25 PM
    • 382 Posts
    • 1,909 Thanks
    greenanne
    hi artnoble
    just afew ideas from my own humble journey.

firstly,i'm not sure what that is in your signature and i know it means something to you but it doesn't sound like something positive.maybe change it so that you see something thats going to inspire you everytime you come on the site.it's all about being in a positive state of mind.
    it's time to start doing things now instead of just talking about it.i remember when i joined this site i used to get letters and i wouldn't even open them.getting my soa down was like a weight being lifted off my shoulders.thats what you need to do now.believe me it will make you feel better.
    good luck.
    there is no wealth but life
    sealed pot challenge#240
    df by dec 2014#150

Barclaycard[ 1641]512. loan[4100]2673. nationwide[1898]1548.natwest 2980.total [8584]7713.
    • artnoble
    • By artnoble 22nd Nov 12, 6:28 PM
    • 630 Posts
    • 791 Thanks
    artnoble

Originally posted by sistafromanothermista
    Thanks. Just hope I have some will power
    • artnoble
    • By artnoble 22nd Nov 12, 6:33 PM
    • 630 Posts
    • 791 Thanks
    artnoble

Originally posted by sistafromanothermista
    • artnoble
    • By artnoble 22nd Nov 12, 6:34 PM
    • 630 Posts
    • 791 Thanks
    artnoble
    hi artnoble
    just afew ideas from my own humble journey.

firstly,i'm not sure what that is in your signature and i know it means something to you but it doesn't sound like something positive.maybe change it so that you see something thats going to inspire you everytime you come on the site.it's all about being in a positive state of mind.
    it's time to start doing things now instead of just talking about it.i remember when i joined this site i used to get letters and i wouldn't even open them.getting my soa down was like a weight being lifted off my shoulders.thats what you need to do now.believe me it will make you feel better.
    good luck.
    Originally posted by greenanne
    Think the signature is from when I joined in 2007. I'll look into it and see if I can work out a progress chart.

Thank you for the suggestion.
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 22nd Nov 12, 6:48 PM
    • 1,390 Posts
    • 5,122 Thanks
    Ilona

I think if I can get everything in order and start afresh after Xmas. Work out a budget and then plough as much as I can towards the debt.

What would your advice be?
    Christmas is weeks away, best get started on it now. Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today. Good luck.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • artnoble
    • By artnoble 22nd Nov 12, 7:42 PM
    • 630 Posts
    • 791 Thanks
    artnoble
    Christmas is weeks away, best get started on it now. Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today. Good luck.
    Ilona
    Originally posted by Ilona
    I'm going to make a start on sorting through my mail this weekend and coming up with dinner plans for work.

Next weeks pay day is the last one before Xmas. I do want to get through it with out worrying. I will try and put some aside though with the money I've saved from not wasting my money.
    • brummiebabe
    • By brummiebabe 23rd Nov 12, 6:29 AM
    • 1,868 Posts
    • 5,170 Thanks
    brummiebabe
    Your signature is some lyrics of a song by The Killers

Good luck with getting your SOA and budget done....you can do it - keep posting!
    20p Saver Club #33 60p/100
    Christmas Saving 0/1300

Saving Target 2014 25/1000
    • artnoble
    • By artnoble 23rd Nov 12, 7:21 AM
    • 630 Posts
    • 791 Thanks
    artnoble
    Your signature is some lyrics of a song by The Killers

Good luck with getting your SOA and budget done....you can do it - keep posting!
    Originally posted by brummiebabe
    It is... And your from brummie land to
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 23rd Nov 12, 8:50 PM
    • 9,580 Posts
    • 7,169 Thanks
    fatbelly
    The thing is I've not paid any of these debts for years. There are no aprs they are just passed round from dca to dca.
    How many years?
    • brummiebabe
    • By brummiebabe 23rd Nov 12, 9:04 PM
    • 1,868 Posts
    • 5,170 Thanks
    brummiebabe
    It is... And your from brummie land to
    Are you then? South, East, West or North?
    20p Saver Club #33 60p/100
    Christmas Saving 0/1300

Saving Target 2014 25/1000
    • artnoble
    • By artnoble 25th Nov 12, 5:21 PM
    • 630 Posts
    • 791 Thanks
    artnoble
    How many years?
    Originally posted by fatbelly

The eldest looks like 2007
    • artnoble
    • By artnoble 25th Nov 12, 5:23 PM
    • 630 Posts
    • 791 Thanks
    artnoble
    Are you then? South, East, West or North?
    Originally posted by brummiebabe
    Depends where you are I guess.

I'm from e Black Country I guess.
    • artnoble
    • By artnoble 25th Nov 12, 6:37 PM
    • 630 Posts
    • 791 Thanks
    artnoble
    I've been shopping over the weekend and bought enough bread ham and crisps for lunches next week. I've got cereal so I can eat before work so I don't need to go to the cafe for breakfast.

Pay day is Friday and I'm pretty much skint so of course it's going to be a non spend week. Hopefully it'll set me in good stead though and can carry it on until next week. Also I'm going to stop taking my wallet to work so I'm not tempted with the Golden Arches or mr chicken.

Once I've worked out what I owe I'll post my SOA. I kinda guess as all my debts have defaulted he dca's would be quite willing to work with me. I'm going to plan and do a self run dmp. Would anyone advice me doing this?

(Also I think I'm I'm going to use this thread as my diary, if there's any mods reading could this be moved to the correct section).
    • abby1234519
    • By abby1234519 25th Nov 12, 8:44 PM
    • 1,559 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    abby1234519
    What about a debt buddy? Someone you can text when you feel the urge to spend? Or write an email to so you don't spend! Worked for me
    • NinjaSavingKat
    • By NinjaSavingKat 25th Nov 12, 9:11 PM
    • 3,221 Posts
    • 20,215 Thanks
    NinjaSavingKat
    You sunshine - need to look out for my next thread ...December Debt Destruction... I'll quite happily crack the NSK whip and there will be a great amount of encouragement along the way...

Do not make this journey a New Years Resolution - kickstart it now.. Crisps and Hamy Sarnies in tow..

Onwards and Upwards ..
    x

On the road of life.. Looking to sign of a whopping $3250 in 6 weeks. BOOM!
    • artnoble
    • By artnoble 26th Nov 12, 5:31 PM
    • 630 Posts
    • 791 Thanks
    artnoble
    You sunshine - need to look out for my next thread ...December Debt Destruction... I'll quite happily crack the NSK whip and there will be a great amount of encouragement along the way...

Do not make this journey a New Years Resolution - kickstart it now.. Crisps and Hamy Sarnies in tow..

Onwards and Upwards ..
    x
    Originally posted by NinjaSavingKat
    Sounds like a plan. First non spend day in years. Didn't even notice it really. The only thing I did plan is the time I ate my dinner. Usually it's anytime anywhere (I'm a van driver). But today I had my cerial before I left and then my lunch box at half 12. Hopefully I can get into a routine. (Even used last weeks ice cream tub as my lunch box).
    • artnoble
    • By artnoble 26th Nov 12, 5:33 PM
    • 630 Posts
    • 791 Thanks
    artnoble
    What about a debt buddy? Someone you can text when you feel the urge to spend? Or write an email to so you don't spend! Worked for me
    Originally posted by abby1234519

That's a good idea. I'll put out a small ad to say I'm looking for a debt buddy. I think that would really help. Hard work now it to find someone haha.
    • artnoble
    • By artnoble 27th Nov 12, 6:49 PM
    • 630 Posts
    • 791 Thanks
    artnoble
    Bit of a strange day. Not quite a non spend day. I spent 0.39p on a bag of snaps while filling up. Usually would have spent 20+ so far this week so that's progress.

I've just returned from the doctors for a new prescription. It was a new doctor and he took by blood pressure. He said it was high so took my height and weight. I'm a tall lad (6'6) and weighed in at 21 stone. So I've had a thick ear for this and have been ordered to lose weight.

Need to have a look round the forum for money saving healthy food.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,913Posts Today

6,965Users online

Martin's Twitter