Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Debt-Free Wannabe > I can't believe I'm in this position again!!! (Page 2)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
I can't believe I'm in this position again!!!
Views: 3,738
# 21
StressedSteph
Old 22-11-2012, 5:41 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

My greatest weakness is internet shopping = Ebay, Amazon etc.

If I could leave these sites alone for a few months I think I would actually get somewhere.

We live 10 miles away from a large town, so if I have to actually drive into town and use cash i think that would stop me spending the money.

It is just too easy clicking on the computer, its like its not real money. Do you do the same?

We will get there somehow. is it worth you posting an SOA?
I also did MSE Budget Brain which helped me see that I do have spare cash each month, and if I cut out all the little spending then I would be able to start over paying and chipping away at the debt.

Good luck xxx Hope you are feeling more optimistic now. x
Argos 395 / Barclays 850 / Next (1972) - 669 / Co-op cc (1852) - 1297
Littlewoods (2479) - 1095 / OD (3264) - 2414 / Tesco CC (5336) - 4315
Virgin CC (4371)-3183 Nov 2013 20519 - Aug 2014 12973
Aug Goal - under 13k Aug 824/1k Pay10k in 2014 - 75% paid
YNAB, M Lewis and Dave Ramsey fan
11 x 1200pm left
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StressedSteph For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 22
DCFC79
Old 22-11-2012, 7:19 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

OP I've just posted thison another thread:

When you do your food shopping try going in with just cash rather than cards, you might find you actually think "do we need/want this" rather than just putting it in the trolley.

But also:

Dont forget theres wilko, the 99p/1 shops, B&M/home bargains and shops like pound stretcher that might well sell things cheaper than the supermarkets (might even be cheaper than aldi/lidl)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DCFC79 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 23
alwaysworried
Old 22-11-2012, 8:07 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks DC will be checking those out too.
# 24
missladyannie
Old 22-11-2012, 8:11 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Sorry to hear about your worries, its horrible keeping things to yourself (I do it too so know where you are coming from), I hope this thread helps you, there are lots of friendly people on this site xx
Nov NSD: 8/7 Dec NSD: 1/10
Sealed pot member #1443 2011: 106. 2012: 171
Ninjakat challenge: Aim to clear two debts by April 2013
100 day challenge: No toiletries or magazines 19/100 (3 x fails )
Extra payment a week challenge: Total to date: 2355.53
# 25
kittycatfan
Old 23-11-2012, 8:35 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Send a message via AIM to kittycatfan

hi im sure there will be a solution long term to your debts my other half dont no about all my debt either , im slowly paying of one thing at a time but itll be about 3 years till im debt free, try look on bright side and stay positive
The Following User Says Thank You to kittycatfan For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 26
bluebag
Old 23-11-2012, 11:00 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysworried View Post
Thanks DC will be checking those out too.
Another one here that's been down the dark debt/depression hole. Oh have I got that t-shirt! So pleased your feeling a bit more positive.

Take a look at the old style board for more ways to save on the grocery bill. Lots of good recipes and easy ways to save on cleaning stuff.

Just remember that what you borrow today, steals from tomorrow.

Wishing you all the very best.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluebag For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 27
skintandfat
Old 24-11-2012, 1:13 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi

I have been in serious debt before and we never learned the lesson and made another series of stupid decisions several years later

Don't worry- I had cancer and this made me stop taking crap from credit companies.

Take control-
  • go and see your doctor
  • List all your debts and detail them by how much the interest chages are- pay the higher interest ones first
  • Stop having the same account for EBAY and your current account- I cancelled my EBAY direct debit and use an account I don't keep money in to pay things. I transfer money to the account as I buy things and paypal takes payment immediately via debit card
  • Set up a seperate account (without a credit facility) and use this for every day spending. I take cash out each week and use it only when buying in person. It's a think once, think twice, hand in pocket and spend on the third strike (or put it in the later file)
Above all - take control and stop worrying
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to skintandfat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 28
StressedSteph
Old 24-11-2012, 11:11 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Some great advice coming out here.

BlueBag's = Just remember that what you borrow today, steals from tomorrow. Fantastic advice - I will remember that one.

Great stuff from Skintandfat too, like the idea of the separate account for every day spending - Think if I saw REAL money more often it would make me think twice before spending.

Just remember AlwaysWorried that you have your family and your health, money isn't worth worrying about. As soon as you take control you will feel more positive about it.

11 x 1200pm left
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to StressedSteph For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 29
vasseur
Old 24-11-2012, 12:36 PM

I found the thing that helped me a lot was setting the grocery budget and transferring it to another account then try to stay within your weekly limit. I always enjoyed my food shopping and was an adman's dream - I was so easily swayed by offers in the supermarket and as a consequence this was my downfall and where I used to spend too much. The good news is it's also the area that you can cut back on quite easily.

Plan your meals for the week from what's in your fridge/freezer/cupboards
Make a shopping list and don't deviate from it.
Check out the cheaper supermarkets - A1di has saved me an absolute fortune over the last couple of years - good quality but less choice - saved me time too!
Batch cook at the weekend - spag, chilli, curries, lasagnes, shepherds pies and freeze for the following week(s). You don't have to do all thisat once but over the weeks you'll build up a good store in the freezer.
It's not how far you fall - it's how high you bounce back....
Happiness is not a destination - it's a journey

DEBT FREE AS OF 23/11/2012
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vasseur For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 30
StressedSteph
Old 05-12-2012, 2:27 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi AW,

Just checking in to say hi, and hope all is going well.

Keep posting hun, let us know how you are getting on xxx
11 x 1200pm left
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StressedSteph For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 31
black cat
Old 05-12-2012, 7:30 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Always Worried - I hope you managed to follow some of the good advice given and that you're feeling more positive. Look after yourself x
I'm getting there!
DFBX2014 challenge #196
The Following User Says Thank You to black cat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 32
gfplux
Old 06-12-2012, 6:29 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Some posters have suggested your husband is controlling and I assume they understand this from various posts you have made.
However if he is controlling one area he has completely missed is your spending.
If my other half had endangered my family by getting into debt, one thing I would "control" would be the money. However he appears to have left you to get into debt again. Strange.
Trying to play by the rules.
The Following User Says Thank You to gfplux For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 33
meg72
Old 06-12-2012, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysworried View Post

I feel so low and down, I even considered ending it all but then thought what's the point my husband would still have my debts to pay. Even if I did end it, God wouldn't accept me because I ended my own life.
My family probably would be better off without me.

I am such a waste of space I really don't know why I was put on this earth!
No actually if the debts are in your name your husband wouldn't have to pay and I am told by believers that God does accept a person who takes their own life BUT don't you ever think that your family would be better off without you.

My Son thought we would be better off without him, We are not.
Our lives have been changed forever, the pain is devastating, the loss cannot be described.

Its only money love, and if the debt was 10m times as much it would still be only money. Debt is sortable Death isn't. Hope you feel better soon.

Hugs Meg
Jan.50/50.feb100/54.Mar 50/60.April 100./72
May50/95.June50/55.Juln85.Aug50.Sept 40.Oct 40.Nov 50.Dec 100. Total 765 for the year.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to meg72 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 34
quintwins
Old 06-12-2012, 7:06 PM

If you find online spending your downfall, take money out you need in cash when your paid and do a jars system (or envelopes it's the same idea) then pay all your bills, change all dd to the same day (only not payday incase your pay is a few days later one month) then send the rest to your higest interest debt, or your smallest debt if you feel paying them off quicker will help motivate your more, simple fact is it you don't have it you can't spend it.

I'm also abit confused in that your husband must know something is up, he will surely have relised 15k of stuff coming into his house and now he'll def have noticed if your cutting everything to the bone he's bound to relise somethings up.
Saving for a house 9407 (+6550 owed from friend and 3500 owed from inlaws) Total 19,257

Save 1300 in October 0/1300
The Following User Says Thank You to quintwins For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 35
purple.sarah
Old 07-12-2012, 12:12 AM

The most important thing is to get help for your depression. Your family would not be better off without you, that is your illness talking. Your children need you, losing you would be far more devastating than the debt. Children don't need their parents to be perfect, they need them to be there. Please seek help and let your doctor know you have been experiencing suicidal thoughts/urges. Remember that there are people who care about your welfare.

You can contact Samaritans in the following ways:

Call
08457 90 90 90* (UK)
1850 60 90 90* (ROI)

24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
*call charges apply

Email
jo@samaritans.org

Find your local Samaritans branch.

Write to
Freepost RSRB-KKBY-CYJK, Chris, PO Box 90 90, Stirling, FK8 2SA

You could also contact Citizen's Advice Bureau for free, impartial debt advice.

Take things one step at a time and you will get through this. It is really positive that you have contacted Step Change and you're meeting your monthly payments and should have two things cleared by June 2013, you are doing really well. Take care, thinking of you.
Make 5 a day in July: 169.66/155
Make 10 a day in August: 296.98/310
The Following User Says Thank You to purple.sarah For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 36
DebtClearer
Old 07-12-2012, 12:21 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I suffered with depression in the last 2 years and within the last year I've also lost my long term partner and am now back living at home until Feb/March. At 26 I'm young enough to take stock and start over but it has been incredibly hard. This depression and desperation caused me to start gambling excessively and wiped away my savings and put my about 11k in debt....

I'll never get over the hurt of my ex and I've just had to pretend they are dead in many ways but I am determined to live my life how I want and I am back heading the right way. I am making a big effort with my debts and savings now and you can too. Take it day by day and make sure those payments keep being made. Start making a diary for your spending too!

We all have to believe and with belief and careful planning we can achieve a hell of a lot in life all by ourselves.
LBM - DEBTS @ 06/01/14 - 20,577.79
CURRENT DEBTS @ 21,058.37 LEGAL DEBTS@16,360.04
SAVINGS @ LBM - 3.93/15000
CURRENT SAVING @ - 160/15,000
CLEAR DEBT AND GET HOUSE DEPOSIT BY XMAS 2017!

# 37
immie
Old 09-12-2012, 6:24 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Does your husband contribute enough to the household expenses? If what you have coming in isn't enough to meet the outgoings of the entire family, then cutting back is only going to solve part of the problem. The expenses of running a household is a joint responsibility, it's unfair for you to take the fall if he's earning more than you.