Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Results: Do you use tea bags or tea leaves?

Tea Bags

70.39% • 145 votes

Tea Leaves

32.04% • 66 votes

You may not vote on this poll

206 votes in total.

• Jolaaled
    • By Jolaaled 9th Apr 05, 7:29 AM
    • 1,038Posts
    • 2,504Thanks
    Tea Bags vs. Loose tea leaves
    • 9th Apr 05, 7:29 AM
    Tea Bags vs. Loose tea leaves 9th Apr 05 at 7:29 AM
    I started to use loose tea recently, having previously always stuck to using tea bags, in the hope that it's a bit cheaper. Has anyone out there already done the maths on this one???
    ( i've found it much better for the compost heap, cos those little white bags seem to take at least 2 years to compost down!).
Page 13
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 9th Mar 18, 11:24 PM
    • 7,452 Posts
    • 20,928 Thanks
    I've heard some teabags just do not fully compost being partly plastic.

Treat tea? Cardews in Oxford - oh yes - was taken there regularly as a child. Though Whittards do a startling range of possibles too & may be easier to find locally. Frankly, ask anyone (who's opinion you trust) where they'd go for a gift tea & try it. I've a Welsh mate who's Japanese wife ships M&S tea home to appreciative family - it is all in the palate.

If you want to do loose tea, get a proper teapot (and there is a wide choice in most charity shops) & china to drink it out of. It doesn't have to be the full tea ceremony every time, but good china adds something that isn't just about price.

Whichever way you jump, enjoy it!
    • maryb
    • By maryb 10th Mar 18, 12:10 PM
    • 3,608 Posts
    • 43,906 Thanks
    I've been using loose tea for two months now, having started when I realised that tea bags contained plastic. However I'm finding it messy. I empty the teapot into a sieve in the sink but it doesn't drain very well and when I empty the sieve into the food waste bucket it drips on the floor and small clumps of tea leaves shoot sideways onto the floor. Also my sink looks horribly stained.

I'm heartened to see that some food manufacturers say they are going to switch over to a material made from corn starch for their tea bags. Looks like the market will come up with the solution and I will happily go back to tea bags
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • Susan1962
    • By Susan1962 10th Mar 18, 7:58 PM
    • 270 Posts
    • 4,389 Thanks
    Not 100 % certain but I think the better quality the tea, the bigger the leaves as teabags are full of jus dregs! Perhaps switching to loose leaf but goin "up" a brand might be the best option?
    Almost there - mortgage free wannabe! £1000 to go!
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 11th Mar 18, 10:06 AM
    • 15,641 Posts
    • 132,572 Thanks
    tea bags are handy for me and at the moment I am happy with the twinings I bought via a money off voucher .My late Mum swore by her brook Bond Divi tea and we all grew up drinking it (I think she liked the 5/- postal order that came every so often when her divi card was filled up with stamps ) I don't think I would return to loose tea as living alone ,even though I have a small tea pot I could be bothered with the mess.Hopefully the tea compaanies will bow to public pressure and produce a environmentally friendly tea bag soon.

Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    2018 Food spend so far this year
    Jan; £29.22. Feb:£30.49 March £19.11
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

116Posts Today

1,447Users online

Martin's Twitter