Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > December 2012 Grocery Challenge!!!!! REALLLY?!?!?... (Page 2)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
December 2012 Grocery Challenge!!!!! REALLLY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Views: 34,884
# 21
Tiglath
Old 18-11-2012, 9:33 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Please put me down for £350 for December, starting on 23rd November. I bust the budget for November by going nuts on Mr T yellow stickers, so I will be on track for December.
"Those are synapses, electric impulses in the brain that carry all the messages. Somewhere in all that organic wiring, all those ripples of light, is you — the thing that makes you unique and human." ~ Dr. Jenner, The Walking Dead
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Tiglath For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 22
meanmarie
Old 18-11-2012, 9:42 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to meanmarie

Please put me down for €250 for December, will take that to feed the masses who will assemble here for at least 5 days!

Marie
Weight 24th June 90kg
Daydream fund €416
July GC €185.62/180
Aug GC €180.23/.€ 180
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to meanmarie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 23
mummybearx
Old 18-11-2012, 9:53 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Not counted up my November spends so far, but I did manage to do a stock take today

Please put me down for

zepsgal £180

Going to DH's sisters for Christmas dinner, so that will help my budget x
Can't think of anything smart to put here...
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to mummybearx For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 24
Shortie
Old 18-11-2012, 10:13 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hello, I'd like to join in this month please. Could you please put me down for £250, ta

It's for feed and clean a house of 2 adults, 2 children, 2 cats, 2 dogs and some chooks. £250 is currently supposed to be our budget, but I recon we blow it every month as I seem to spend in Mr T with my current account as well as having taken the £250 out at the beginnign of the month, sigh..

So, this month I want us to hit the budget we're supposed to be, and then next month I'll try and shave some money off that

My month starts on the 20th
Appologies if there are random typos - I am usually replying via my phone
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Shortie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 25
CRANKY40
Old 18-11-2012, 11:39 PM

Could I join please? My budget for December is £200. I also pledge not to buy the piles of unhealthy junk that Asd@ want me to buy over the festive period. I have done the extra food shopping already. One turkey crown (used Tesc0 double up vouchers so technically free), two bottles of pinot grigio (same), a packet of crackers for cheese, some chilli cheese, a bag of chilli peanuts and two bags of sweet popcorn for me and little master cranky to be eaten watching Crimbo films.

Every year I fall for it and think "ooh, that looks nice", and bring home junk. I can't afford it and this year I'm not going to fall for it.

I'll be having Christmas dinner with my friends - I provide the turkey, they provide the rest of it and cook it. Last year I made Christmas cake....I think we were still eating it in February. This year I'm going to make mince pies. I have the stuff in for those already, so I should only need the usual shopping from now until the end of December. Famous last words and all that.
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to CRANKY40 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 26
welshdreamer71
Old 19-11-2012, 6:55 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

£300Can I please join in for december I wont officially start counting till 30th nov but at least its a start...£250 for a normal month but as the big fellas coming we will no doubt spend more, but have been guilty of near enough spending that in tesc0s in 1 hit in years gone by tut .. good luck all x
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to welshdreamer71 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 27
craigywv
Old 19-11-2012, 7:31 AM

hi can i please be put down for 200 please, i didnt do last months gc so need to stay on track . Thanks .
C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #7 member N.I splinter-group co-ordinater I dont suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!!.
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to craigywv For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 28
tessie bear
Old 19-11-2012, 9:49 AM

thankyou to all who get the thread going...i am going to spend as little as possible and not go mad and lumber myself with a load of food we spend the rest of the year eating...christmas cake/pickles/bread sauce/cranberry sauce....we like all these but i need to limit the amount coming into the house so we arent drowning in them...not a nice thought

i am going to carry on with my weekly plan up until the week before christmas then will go with the flow a bit as we plan get a better offer and dont eat the planned meal so will take it a day or 2 at a time

also need to make some food in the freezer to fit some christmas bits in..lots to do

good luck tess
on the brink...
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to tessie bear For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 29
flubberyzing
Old 19-11-2012, 10:59 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Even though I won't start December until the 1st, I'm still going to keep my budget at £50...

I think I might end up going over, but at least the tight limit should keep me under control!
In previous years I've always ended up buying all the junk in the red boxes that clog up the freezer sections every year, like mozarella sticks, and I'm ALWAYS disappointed. So this year I'll be cutting out altogether, or making my own.
Will be spending a few days over Christmas with family at the parents house, so haven't got that to pay for... But I do like to turn up with some home-made contibution in-hand... I'm thinking this year, Jamie Oliver's sausage rolls and some biscuits of some sort...
Because it's fun to have money!

2014 Freebies!: 2 Dove deodorants, Tesco's Finest potatoes, 2 packs of Always Dailies pantyliners, £24 worth of John Frieda Frizz Ease products, Tesco's Finest pasta, Jacobs bagel chips, 4 Heinz baby food pouches, Optrex Eye Revive Mist, Tesco's Finest steak, £5 Tesco homeware voucher, Hovis granary bread,
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to flubberyzing For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 30
afeitar
Old 19-11-2012, 11:56 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I'm going to aim for £150 again this month, looks like we will be coming in under budget for November and we have been quite frugal so we will probably treat ourselves a bit more in December. However we will also be eating out at families more so we might come out under budget again! We'll see... My lovely Mum also always gives us a Christmas hamper in December full of christmassy food. Going to start on the 1st December.
November Grocery Challenge = £83.47/£150
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to afeitar For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 31
xxlouisexx56
Old 19-11-2012, 12:51 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Can I be out down for £250 please

I've bought some Xmas supplies already and have been stock piling normal things like cereal and pasta.

Will post here again on dec 1st!
Wombles: 602 cc points. £13.34apg. £1.77pp
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to xxlouisexx56 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 32
agreenmess
Old 19-11-2012, 1:27 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Oooo would it be possible to put me down this month, will be my first month in a real effort to get our food/household account down, were looking at buying a house in a coupld of years so every extra will help.

£300 for the month

With the idea to get it to around half that!

Nessy
Nessy x
House Deposit - £0 /£20,000
Weight Loss - .5lbs
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to agreenmess For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 33
Coxy11
Old 19-11-2012, 4:26 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi everyone,

I'm still posting on the November thread but just wanted to say THANK YOU to Zippy for getting December's thread up and running

Budgets done to here

Welcome to all the newbies: wmf, JackieRHE, Shortie, CRANKY40, Welshdreamer and agreenmess

I will be reading along but won't join you officially until 1st December.

Good luck everyone
Coxy
December GC busted/£450
Cross-stitch - WIP Girl with Cosmos
14 in 2014:15/14
Completed 2014: Blackwork Sampler, Ilkley, knitted snowmouse, crocheted starfish, Stockings, Silver Nia, Garden Medley, Owl coaster, Funky cushion, Daisy Girl, knitted church mouse x 2, knitted scarecrow, Christmas exchange, MP Cottage,
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Coxy11 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 34
Billie-jo
Old 19-11-2012, 4:36 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hello to the new people on here.

thanks to all who run the thread.

After much changing of my mind have decided to go for £280 for Dec please. Have increased slightly but not as much as usual so hope that its achievable.
We are for the first time EVER going to be out for Christmas day at our daughters but are providing most of the food as they are skint and have a young family. Am looking forwards to it but it is going to be very different to usual.
Will really try to curb the impulsive buying for what is basically two days as its so unneccesaryand results in so much being wasted or crammed into already cramped freezers.

So just Dec to go and then its time to really try to get to grips with the GC in 2013 as want to decrease from the usual £260

Have managed in the last two months to bring internet & phone bill down by £50 per month, diesel by £40 per month and car ins by £50 per year . . . .
a HUGE £1130 a year if it continues (think I deserve two for that)

Good luck to everyone and to those who are on a yearly budget I hope there is the money there to still come under budget IYKWIM

Still on Nov until last day.
DEC £134.93/£280
NOV £139.37/£200

Last edited by Billie-jo; 19-11-2012 at 4:39 PM.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Billie-jo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 35
camNolliesMUMMY
Old 19-11-2012, 5:15 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

As its going to be Christmas il put £250 on our budget please
Ds2 born 3/4/12 8lbs 8.5
Ds1 born 28/4/07 9lb 8
Frugal, thrifty, tight mum & wife and proud of it lol

Make money for Xmas challenge 2014 £0/£270
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to camNolliesMUMMY For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 36
XSpender
Old 19-11-2012, 7:39 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

My December started today with an £8 odd spent on fruit, bread, ham, w-up liquid and kitchen spray. Will update when I find the receipt later on.

I am going for £400 for December with a separate £50 budget for the Christmas food.

Got given a £2 voucher for the works canteen today so that will be a nice lunch for me later in the week.
2014 Goals

1) Find a job - DONE
2) £3000 emergency fund/£1851
2) Keep up 52 week challenge for Christmas - Rest of Aug + Sept/Oct/Nov/Dec
3) Grocery spend under £60/week - Aug £90, Sept £67, Oct £72, Nov £?? Dec £0
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to XSpender For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 37
Spending Vs Saving
Old 19-11-2012, 8:38 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Please can i be put down for £200 for december please this is to include all dog food, toiletries, booze, cleaning stuff and general stocking up plus normal food. Last year i was really lucky on yellow sticker stuff and january was suitably super cheap because of it. One thing i will try not to over indulge in is the non "healthy eating" naught but nice foods.... honest
Consolidated and under control 42 payments to go.
; ): o
£7028.50£5990.43
Aim: 35 and Debtfree
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Spending Vs Saving For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 38
malamay
Old 19-11-2012, 8:53 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

December is such a big month! My wages come through a week early, which I absolutely hate. It makes such a mess out of the planning! I transfer wages to savings, then pay myself on the correct date, otherwise it gets spent.

So onwards with grocery planning. We have no idea where we'll be for Christmas dinner. I'll be cooking one here sometime over Christmas week, and possibly entertaining. I'll give £250 for the budget this month. I've been saving on the weekly stamp scheme at Mr. T, and will not include this £50 in the budget, as it will be spent on a few gifts and some booze.

December spends start here o the 30th, and we are still within budget for November, even while stocking up on dairy to get petrol vouchers from Mr. T. Hubbs spends £400-£500 in diesel a month, and it's nice to get a little savings here. It'll more than make up for any overspend in grocery this month
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to malamay For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 39
CRANKY40
Old 19-11-2012, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxy11 View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm still posting on the November thread but just wanted to say THANK YOU to Zippy for getting December's thread up and running

Budgets done to here

Welcome to all the newbies: wmf, JackieRHE, Shortie, CRANKY40, Welshdreamer and agreenmess

I will be reading along but won't join you officially until 1st December.

Good luck everyone
Coxy
Thanks. I won't be starting just yet, I'm still in Novembers budget but it's a bit late to join that. I'll be starting at the beginning of December with most people.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to CRANKY40 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 40
esmf73
Old 20-11-2012, 6:55 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Will have a go, unofficially. Fingers crossed
2014 will be all about ME!
( well that hasn't happened!!!)
Mortgage free. Will be debt free in Nov 2014. Credit card £250
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to esmf73 For This Useful Post: Show me >>