Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• Apple123
    • By Apple123 17th Nov 12, 3:53 PM
    • 119Posts
    • 835Thanks
    Can I get any financial help towards my study course?
    • 17th Nov 12, 3:53 PM
    Can I get any financial help towards my study course? 17th Nov 12 at 3:53 PM
    I am 19 years old, living with a friend and estranged from my family. I have recently finished a seasonal job, and am now claiming Job seekers allowance and may also be getting Housing Benefit in the near future.

I want to enroll on a Exercise To Music Fitness Instructor course which costs around £500, but have yet to save up the money for it.

I was wondering if anyone knew if I could get help towards paying for it because I'm unemployed?

Much appreciated.
Page 1
    • PippaGirl
    • By PippaGirl 17th Nov 12, 4:02 PM
    • 2,137 Posts
    • 1,766 Thanks
    • 17th Nov 12, 4:02 PM
    • 17th Nov 12, 4:02 PM
    Sometimes JCP help, worth asking your advisor.
    "Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them." Dalai Lama
    • custardy
    • By custardy 17th Nov 12, 4:04 PM
    • 30,383 Posts
    • 24,848 Thanks
    • 17th Nov 12, 4:04 PM
    • 17th Nov 12, 4:04 PM
    What does this £500 course give you in the end?
    sounds more like a course that would be additional to the likes of PT qualifications
  • Dunroamin
    • 17th Nov 12, 4:13 PM
    • 17th Nov 12, 4:13 PM
    It's very unlikely that you'd get any financial help for a course like this.
  • princessdon
    • 17th Nov 12, 4:38 PM
    • 17th Nov 12, 4:38 PM
    That type of course is in an alterative schedule to the fundable stream, so you won't get any help with funding as it isn't classed as returning or giving skills to return to work.

You may be lucky with fuding from a charity, but not mainstream
    • BigAunty
    • By BigAunty 17th Nov 12, 4:45 PM
    • 7,719 Posts
    • 13,945 Thanks
    • 17th Nov 12, 4:45 PM
    • 17th Nov 12, 4:45 PM
    You could see if there are any charity grants available on the Turn2us benefit website as they have a grant checker, or ask on the student forum.

If you are interested in becoming a fitness instructor, which is often a self-employed career, look at the Princes Trust website as they help those under the age of 25 into self employment - grants, loans and mentoring.

It's a much more thorough approach, producin a business planning - marketing, insurance and so on, and not just about 'lets go on a course and fingers crossed perhaps I'll make some money from it'.

I live in Scotland which has a different educational system to the rest of the UK but my local colleges offer courses in sports/physical training.

Your other alternatives are to save up when you are next in employment or look into a career development loan.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

340Posts Today

2,075Users online

Martin's Twitter