Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    dantheman2010
    Royal Mail Recorded Delivery Signed For Naughty Postman...............
    • 14th Nov 12, 5:41 PM
    Royal Mail Recorded Delivery Signed For Naughty Postman............... 14th Nov 12 at 5:41 PM
    Hi all

I have received my post today and amongst it was something which was sent by recorded delivery and needed to be signed for.

Both myself and my partner were at work so I decided to use the tracking number to see who signed for it.

It was supposedly signed for by me although the signature is not mine. Now I assume the post man did this "forging" my signature, I appreciate I now dont have to go to the sorting office to collect the item but surely this is not legal?

I was tempted (I know I shouldnt) to claim the company that sent it that I havent received it and when they check the tracking prove that it is not my signature with driving licence/passport etc. Although I am not sure I can be bothered with that.

I was just shocked they had forged my signature.
Page 6
    • honeybean
    • By honeybean 10th Aug 14, 6:08 PM
    • 128 Posts
    • 176 Thanks
    honeybean
    I know my partner had a few problems with this service and was told by Royal Mail they want people to let them know what is going on , if you don't tell them they don't know as they can contact the delivery office and track who delivers the letter on that round,as far as the length of time all my partner did was ring their complaints dept and spoke to someone and his compensation was given straight away.
  • stoatwblr
    Could have been worse, They could have missed and broke the glass instead.
    Originally posted by The ICT Engineer
    I'm aware of stuff being placed into recycling bins - on recycling day.

This happened to a workmate whilst he was at work (note on the door when he got home - and an empty recycling bin).

As "someone" had signed for it, there was a lot of finger pointing between the supplier and the courier. (Supplier refused to refund on the basis it had been delivered, etc). I believe he eventually got a replacement on an "ex gratia" basis, but the couriers never admitted fault.
  • stoatwblr
    You're lucky - they didn't bother signing my recorded parcel and just lobbed it through an open window!!!
    Originally posted by Honeydog
    "Recorded delivery" isn't the same as "signed for"

The former only needs postie to tick it off as done.

The latter needs a recipient signature.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 10th Aug 14, 8:03 PM
    • 32,207 Posts
    • 26,959 Thanks
    custardy
    "Recorded delivery" isn't the same as "signed for"

The former only needs postie to tick it off as done.

The latter needs a recipient signature.
    Originally posted by stoatwblr
    Not really.

Recorded delivery no longer exists.
    "Signed for" is the name for what was Recorded.
    You are confusing Signed for & Tracked. Tracked has the option of a no sig delivery notification.
  • stoatwblr
    So have you complained about your items being delivered without you signing?
    Originally posted by custardy
    I'm not the OP for this question, however I have had stuff delivered without signing - couriers and RM.

In both cases the stock answer is "You are not the customer therefore we will not accept your complaint"

The "customer" is the entity paying RM/Couriers. The recipient has few to zero rights in this kind of case - but should make the sender aware what happened.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 11th Aug 14, 4:45 AM
    • 32,207 Posts
    • 26,959 Thanks
    custardy
    I'm not the OP for this question, however I have had stuff delivered without signing - couriers and RM.

In both cases the stock answer is "You are not the customer therefore we will not accept your complaint"

The "customer" is the entity paying RM/Couriers. The recipient has few to zero rights in this kind of case - but should make the sender aware what happened.
    Originally posted by stoatwblr
    Is it the stock answer? sounds like a load of nonsense to me. given I have had to deal with those very complaints via the RM system.
    • Makeandsave
    • By Makeandsave 11th Aug 14, 12:05 PM
    • 2,657 Posts
    • 21,921 Thanks
    Makeandsave
    I have had 3 items that i know of go missing in the last month. I had to open a complaint with RM last week.
    June Wins: Wonder Woman Book. Away DVD, £20 amazon code, DL Portal Knights on Xbox One,
    Merchandise from Diary of a Wimpy Kid.
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 11th Aug 14, 12:14 PM
    • 1,291 Posts
    • 6,867 Thanks
    NBLondon
    3 weeks ago I sent a batch of 22 items out from work - all 1st signed for. 16 of them were delivered on time and a squiggle obtained. 6 of them are showing as still in the system. I'm now contacting the recipients to see if they have actually got the item and so far 2 of the 6 have said yes.

Last time this happened, I sent in the P58 Claim Form and got an apology and book of stamps on the basis that I had paid for a service and not received it (i.e. the sig). At a quid a time - that adds up a bit.
    One day I'll think of something witty - Apparently I have!
    • Umme111
    • By Umme111 4th Jan 16, 4:51 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Umme111
    Postie left my parcel in green bin!
    I once ordered an electrical item and he put in the recycle bin. We went to throw rubbish out as it was bin collection day and luckily saw the parcel in there. I was so horrified and complained to royal mail local depot.
    • stann0
    • By stann0 16th Mar 17, 8:56 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    stann0
    Old thread revival!
    Posting here because I had bitter experience of this practice today.

My brother was sending me some legal documents which I had to sign and return to the solicitor ASAP so he sent them signed-for & tracked yesterday.

I waited in today to make absolutely sure I took delivery but was surprised when I saw the postie (not our usual) wandering down the street. I went out and asked him if there was a signed-for letter to my address. He simply said "no", so I went inside and looked up the tracking number.

Lo and behold, it was shown as being delivered 1 minute before & signed for by someone called "Carin". I went back out & asked him who Carin was & where she lived - he said he couldn't remember.

I gave him the benefit of the doubt & checked with all my neighbours who were at home. As I thought none of them had my letter. I caught him up further down the road and told him straight he was lying to me and had signed the machine himself.

He started to become quite aggressive & refused to answer any more questions. Said he would call the police and get my address barred from receiving mail! He then drove off.

On a hunch I looked though my upstairs neighbours' letter box & lo and behold there is my letter, so close but so far - my neighbours are away on holiday & I have no contact details for them (central London rental land).

So he has faked a signature & invented a name, posted my letter through the wrong letter box and then spent 5 minutes lying to my face about what he's done.

So when people claim the postie is only doing you a favour by signing on your behalf, let this be a illustration of what can happen! I'm complaining to the chief-exec. of Royal Mail. Let's see what happens.
    Last edited by stann0; 16-03-2017 at 9:02 PM.
    • Nodding Donkey
    • By Nodding Donkey 17th Mar 17, 6:04 AM
    • 2,336 Posts
    • 1,953 Thanks
    Nodding Donkey
    You're lucky - they didn't bother signing my recorded parcel and just lobbed it through an open window!!!
    Originally posted by Honeydog
    Our postie reaches through the window and puts stuff on the worktop.

It's always a PITA when she's on holiday or something and we end up with one of those "Collect it from the sorting office" cards
    • Cloth of Gold
    • By Cloth of Gold 19th Mar 17, 7:21 PM
    • 205 Posts
    • 691 Thanks
    Cloth of Gold
    A couple of weeks ago I had something sent to me last week 'signed for'. I was out when the postman came and when I returned it had been put through my letterbox. I was pleased to have received it but the sender had paid for a service they didn't receive and if he had put it through the wrong door by mistake who knows if I would ever have received it.
    • Joe King
    • By Joe King 21st Mar 17, 3:01 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Joe King
    I recently sent a parcel via RM 1st Class Signed-for service. I took a bit of a chance because I was returning an item to the supplier for credit that was worth just over £100, and RM recommend 1st Class Special Delivery for full compensation if they lose it. The tracking for my parcel was just Signed-for, but no signature was forthcoming. After the obligatory eleven days I was about to put in my claim to RM for the maximum £50, but checked my Visa statement first. That very morning the supplier has credited the amount due. It had been delivered after all. Huge relief!
    Three morals to this story: 1) Read up on RM's delivery options beforehand rather than make a hasty decision at the PO counter; 2) A postie's signature would have been better than no signature at all; 3) Given you can't trust anyone to get the simplest aspects of their jobs right, you need to make copies, take photos etc in anticipation of something going wrong.
    • pennystretcher
    • By pennystretcher 23rd Mar 17, 3:55 PM
    • 283 Posts
    • 1,304 Thanks
    pennystretcher
    98% of time my Royal Mail deliveries have been ok, so have been "lucky"..

It is getting more frequent now that the delivery man doesn't ring the doorbell and I only get the "sorry we missed you" cards, happened again today.

I had arranged re-delivery, for some reason RM tried to deliver it couple of days ago, so just in case re-booked re-delivery again (again for today) only for the postie to quietly slip the "Sorry we missed you" note through the door while I was sitting only few feet away. (And yes, the door bell works!) Didn't even hear the mailbox rattle even though it's normally very noisy and can hear it upstairs.

Also couple of years ago RM left a note to say they had tried to deliver a signed for delivery. Checking online the delivery was signed for (not by me). Never found out for sure what that letter was, but think it was for a jury duty letter that was then promptly pushed through my letterbox a day later with a recorded for sticker on it. On querying it with RM they never could provide an answer to me.
    MFW June 2017 £890 (almost there!!!)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

184Posts Today

1,399Users online

Martin's Twitter